Author Topic: Western philosophy and Native traditions?  (Read 10334 times)

Offline AndreasWinsnes

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
Western philosophy and Native traditions?
« on: April 09, 2006, 10:39:36 pm »
How does Native traditions combine with Western philosophy? Can one be a traditionalist if one at the same time investigate every religion, ideology, worldveiw and scientific theory in search for scientific knowledge and a broader perspective on life and human behaviour? The distinction between religion and science is a Western idea. Is it compatible with Native traditions? Or do Native Americans have a similar distinction in their traditions?

Offline Scott Brainard

Re: Western philosophy and Native traditions?
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2006, 08:11:30 pm »
Science is just better eyes and ears to see and hear the world with...it's theory that causes most of the arguments. :)

Offline AndreasWinsnes

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2006, 08:35:16 pm »
Even so called "pure" observation is probably loaded with theory, but religion and philosophical thoughts about metaphysics is certainly a bit more theory than science like chemistry and microbiology.

Socrates said "I know that I know nothing". Can a Native traditionalist agree with this, and at the same time keep true to a tradition that may not have a distinction between religion and philosophical pursuits of truth? I mean, it is the duty of a philosopher to check out every worldview to see if they contain any truth or wisdom. He or she can't be bound to just one tradition. She might personally follow a Native tradition herself, but then discover something in Sufism that she, as a philosopher, think is true and valuable. How can one cope with this if one is a traditionalist? ?

?

Offline educatedindian

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2006, 11:15:57 pm »
Andreas, here's a couple links I send my students to.

http://www.kporterfield.com/aicttw/articles/lies.html

http://www.derrickjensen.org/deloria.html

As far as the question of other philosophies, NDNs come into contact with philosophies all the time and accept or reject as useful or true. But I think at that point when the other philosophies start to predominate, they might admit they are no longer entirely traditionalist. We do have a member, Hassan, who is both Muslim and Native, but he hasn't posted in awhile. He might be someone you should ask. My guess is that most members, and most NDNs in general, think our traditions were given to us for a reason, and that it's best to stick with them. That doesn't mean we can't see value in other faiths or philosophies or worldviews.

Offline Barnaby_McEwan

« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2006, 12:08:12 pm »
Off topic replies have been moved to [link=http://www.newagefraud.org/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl?num=1144757293]This Thread[/link]