Author Topic: Is this Lakota?  (Read 13845 times)

Offline yellowthunder_bolt

• I Love YaBB 2!
Is this Lakota?
« on: February 08, 2006, 07:18:27 pm »
Here in the state that I live I have been watching this particular "intertribal" native group for awhile. About two weeks ago a few more things happened that I have questions about and need input on.

Seems the Lakota/Methodist minister had a meeting in which she had a "ceremony" where the people were asked to sit on the floor around this table, after each was smudged the shell with the burning sage and sweetgrass was left in the center of this round table with a burning candle beside it. Also at each persons spot there was a piece of white paper and a small mound of salt. The partcipants were asked to write down something they wanted to get rid of ,out of thier life, sprinkle some of their salt into the burning sage and sweetgrass, take the small piece of paper and lite it with the candle and this problem would be gone.

NOW I have a problem with this as it is not a Cherokee tradition nor do I believe it is a Lakota or anyother Native tradition. Input needed here.

Also noticed a big article in the paper about one of the Lakota women from this group. Most of it was ok except when it came to pictures of the building of the sweat lodge. It showed and explained the building of one as well as a picture of where someone inside the lodge was taking a picture of those preparing the lodge on the outside. Stated in the article was that it got to 175% for a normal sweat and the forth door was for warriors where it got to 200%. What Iam concerned about is not only taking away from the sacredness of the inipi with those pictures but explainations on building of one, very untraditional and dangerous....

Question? Am I on the wrong page with whats going on with this group or not?? Could say much more but will wait.
                              Thanks Thomas

Offline debbieredbear

• Global Moderator
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
Re: Is this Lakota?
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2006, 11:43:30 pm »
The salt and paper thing sounds like a Wiccan thing to me.  I have never heard of Lakotas doing that. So, my opinion is that you are not off track.

Offline mary_good_bear

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2006, 12:57:17 pm »
I'm from Illinois and this sounds like a group here working out of the Peoria area.  No they do not know what they are doing.  Especially concerning letting the news reporter take all those pictures of the sweat lodge.  That hasn't set well with the people in this area who know that they are in the wrong.  The woman in charge is Lakota, but we all know that doesn't mean she's automatically going to do the right thing in the right way.

Joseph

« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2006, 10:22:17 pm »
Sounds kinda innocent enough. Mny therapy groups do the writing down of problems and getting rid of the paper in some fashion.

During the Wicker Man ceremony (wiccan) they write down what they want to be rid of and put it in the wicker man which is set on fire. I attended one years ago, very interesting. I may not have this exactly right so I apologize to the pagans and wiccans who are here.

Joseph

Offline 180IQ

• The Caretaker
  • I never sleep
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2006, 01:35:30 am »
This ritual you mention is similar to what Roy "Littlesun" does and calls a Hopi thing. He hands out coffee stirring sticks and has people weave them together into a tic-tac-toe pattern and mentally infuse the creation with thoughts of the "boundaries" they want eliminated from their lives, then throw the sticks into a fire, as performs his "magic chant" and waves feathers about.

Offline raven

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2006, 03:03:49 am »
The group that you are speaking about is the Peoria Native American Fellowship. The pastor is Carol E. Lakota.
I am fully aware of this group and on the outside it looks innocent enough. This is a Methodist church, that has blended what they say are Native beliefs, however from 1st hand experience, it is a blending of all religions and none.

To give an example of how tradtional many of the members are. The church at one time had a drum group. At an outing the members left the drum uncovered and unattended. I was approached by another drum group to take the drum. When I went to the group and asked who was in charge of the drum, two members got into their truck and spead off to retrieve the drum before I took it, while in a hurry they backed into the drum with their truck.

They have pow wows here in IL. and at these pow wows they have what they call spirit fires, usually off to the side some where. And many members before entering into the dance arena will turn in the four directions before going into the arena, these things are part of sun dance rituals that have no place at a social gathering.

What I would like to know is why the church receives grant money for classes they give, yet still have set "donation" prices for those that want to attend the classes.

Two weekends ago their local paper published a four page article about teaching  Native beliefs and went so far as to have a photographer take photos not only of their sweat louge, but actually sat inside of it to take photos looking outside.  This is an absolute no no.
There are some good people that attend the church, but the bad out number the good ones. The pastor does not have a grip on the congregation, for most of them pretty much do as they please whether it is tradtional are not.
I have had some elders recently that came to me to discuss the group and what can be done to stop a lot of what they are doing.
Many years ago, it was a standing joke with many Lakota people in S.D. that if you want to make some money, head down to Peoria to this group.
Sadly some native people have taken advantage of this and has fed many of them with garbage. And if Jesus was standing in front of them telling them what some have taught them was a lie, they wouldn't believe him.
I must admit they have the largest  populated group of "Medicine men and women "  I think they have more than all the reservations combined.
Also by the way the pastor's real family name is not Lakota, they had it changed to that.

Offline educatedindian

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2006, 07:25:25 pm »
Used to be Carol Eastin, also calls herself White Bear. She's also head of Seven Circles.
http://www.7circlesheritage.org/about.htm

You can't help but notice that every last one them is fair skinned, meaning they are all likely PODIAs. Their declared intentions seem good, but this just shows the danger of groups of PODIAs who aren't guided enough by people steeped in the right ways.
http://www.7circlesheritage.org/directors.htm
Most of their bios seem all touchy-feely, written by altmed or human potentinal movement people, esp Eastin's bio.
"her personal history with grief and loss, are a part of her journey which contribute to the Seven Circles Healing Circle and other group activities....she appreciates the lessons she has learned from her parents and family who wove a beautiful blanket of Christian faith, Native Spirituality, and deep respect for the Earth."

The "Native spirituality" she follows seems more than a little influenced by Nuage and/or paganism and/or the altmed stuff she learned as a counselor. Come on, can you imagine bios by AIM people saying, for example, "Peltier is on a journey of personal healing and loss."

• I Love YaBB 2!
« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2006, 08:52:56 pm »
Thanks for all the input, it seems i'm not that far off base concerning this seven circles group. I do know they have been getting grants and asking for "donations" for years and I have not seen but very little to none improvement on the seven circles property. Where has the money gone??

Also on the web site noticed all these workshops, yes with a lot of new age classes and the murals depict newage. My question here is , are they charging for these workshops as it says "lunch ect" for an extra fee, well included in these workshops is a sweat /inipi ceremony so it would appear for one on the outside looking in that they are charging for sweats???

And who are teaching all these "Native Teachings". Does anyone know if there are Native Americans there or is this just another one of those groups with a "little drop of indian blood is like gold" and so they have set them self up to appear a real Native Center? While reading the bios I noticed that the 3 Lakota sisters ,Carol being one, that one sister mentioned more indian blood than the other?
I will continue to look for facts before proceeding further.      Thomas

• I Love YaBB 2!
« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2006, 04:51:53 am »
Have done more research and found that the woman in the picture with her son at her side, lifting her hands up is Phillis"singing bird"Ballard, who tells all that she is a medicine woman from apparently what ever tribe suits the moment. It seems she is what is called a "self proclaimed medicine woman". No one has been able to obtain any consistent information as to where this right was passed down to her.

Also found the name Seven Circles Heritage Center of Central Illinois Foundation. Address Methodist Church Tonica,Ill. Same one???
                                      Thomas

thunder-bird

« Reply #9 on: February 21, 2006, 04:38:24 am »
Have found some more non traditional ways of this group.
www.7circlesheritage.org
Read the following: Talking Circle and Spirit Fire at the circles.
The fourth Monday of each month. An opportunity to pray, talk,and help our community grow spiritually.
Thanks to L. Kozintsev who has prepared this lovely space at the center and who readies the Fire each time.
Spirit Fire? how in the world can they call this a Spirit Fire, are they even aware of what "Spirit fire "means and the purpose. Are they Playing  NDN or just simply uneducated?? Talk about playing with things they know nothing about!!!!

Also Traditional Studies: Made possible because of a grant from the Illinois Arts Council and The Peoria Community Foundation.
Ceramics: Making a Spirit plate. You and your family will find comfort and Spiritual growth as you use your personalized family spirit plate. HUH!!!

Learn conversational Lakota. The class will meet two Saturdays a month plus a monthly ceremonial gathering. Please register. Cost $25 for 4 month class. Ceremonial gathering??

Healing Circle:This group seeks to find a balanced lifestyle using expressive arts, native traditions, modern medicine, nutrition, and healing energy at 7 circles....

on and on and on. What a mixture of newage BS. and taking Sacred traditions and using them for things they are not ment for.....
                                              T-B.

Offline crow04

• I Love YaBB 2!
« Reply #10 on: June 06, 2006, 02:35:07 am »
Hi, In re: Phylis "Singing Bird" Ballard. She was told by an elder who is a tribal storyteller; when Phylis ran after this elder to talk to her and tell the elder just who she was that her (Phylis) "medicine" lineage is not recognized by the tribe. So about 3 years after that, there is Phylis from another tribe telling all she is a "medicine woman" and teaching things about tobacco and prayers and doing ceremonies.  Many people in our area think she is for real, and when I say that I was there when a respected elder told her that lineage wasn't recognized so she got her own recognition - they tell me she must be because she says she is. People in our area are being harmed by her as well as the Natives who are real medicine people and all families everywhere that learn this kind of disrespect and think it is the right way.