Author Topic: #NoDAPL #StandWithStandingRock Situation is Escalating  (Read 18744 times)

Offline Defend the Sacred

• Global Moderator
#NoDAPL #StandWithStandingRock Situation is Escalating
« on: October 27, 2016, 10:32:37 pm »
If you are the praying type, I am asking for prayers, for our NAFPS members, advisors, relatives and loved ones on the front line protecting the water and land in North Dakota right now. The situation is deadly and desperate.

Today the pipeline security and law enforcement has escalated severely, throwing concussion grenades at our people, firing "beanbag" rifles into crowds of unarmed water protectors, dragging off people kneeling in prayer.

This has been happening all summer, and is a big reason why things have been quiet around here. Some of our elder members, some of our younger members, many of our core members, are either on the front lines or working to support the front lines through helping with supplies, communications and media. But today everything has intensified. In the USA, aside from some daytime spots on Headline News (basic cable) and Lawrence O'Donnell's show on MSNBC, there has been a complete media blackout in the Mainstream Media. Most coverage has come from alternative outlets like Democracy Now, with the  most reliable reports from normal people livestreaming on social media like Facebook and twitter, when we haven't been blocked from uploading and sharing.

Right now the cops are shooting people at point-blank range with "rubber" bullets, which are big, plastic projectiles that can kill. The cops are trying to shoot horses dead and Natives are putting their bodies in between the horses and the guns. Please pray. Hard. And if you are a warrior and can stand, get there. NOW.

Twitter feed: https://twitter.com/hashtag/NoDAPL?src=hash
Facebook feed: https://www.facebook.com/search/top/?q=%23NoDAPL

Offline amorYcohetes

Re: #NoDAPL #StandWithStandingRock Situation is Escalating
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2016, 05:30:04 am »
Been watching this with awe, grief, joy, and rage from afar over the past weeks and months.  I addition to prayers and putting our bodies on the line, I believe funds for material resources and legal defense to support the Water Protectors are also needed.  I would trust the links at the bottom of this page, in addition to standingrock.org.  If anyone else has any to add, please share.  I've heard this called the biggest intertribal resistance gathering in decades, and it's vital that we all as relatives and allies do our part to sustain the warriors.  Also, if you're near the area, I heard there will be a benefit concert and some related events on Thanksgiving weekend in Fort Yates.  Of course, fundraising events are happening all over the place too.

On a related note, what on earth is going on with this Washington State elector who's been getting so much press the past couple days?  I guess he was Sanders supporter and now won't vote for Clinton?  I understand that part, but who will he vote for instead? Trump is literally banking on DAPL and has publicly supported Keystone XL. Stein actually has participated in #NoDAPL protests. Will be interesting to see.

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2016, 10:27:11 pm »
Material support is still desperately needed, and there are many fundraisers out there. As you can guess, not all the fundraisers are legit, so you need to be careful.

The first camp and fundraiser is the official Sacred Stones camp http://sacredstonecamp.org/faq/, and that fund is getting lots of support. Since then, many others have popped up, but I encourage people to research them thoroughly and make sure they support the strategies employed by those particular camps and groups. Not all the camps/groups running fundraisers are still on site; some have even been asked to leave for disagreeing with the organizers' protocols.

Besides Sacred Stones, the original funds are the Standing Rock tribe's paypal link, on their main website, http://standingrock.org/, or at the special page the tribe has set up for fighting the pipeline here: http://standwithstandingrock.net/

One effort that I encourage folks to support is the Indigenous-led Medics and Healers council. No matter your politics or tactics, if you're shot or teargassed by the cops, they will take you in and take care of you. Their donation and supplies info is on their website here: https://medichealercouncil.com/

If you are appreciating staying informed via social media, much of the awe-inspiring drone footage and frontline feeds from inside the protests are coming out of this group, which is largely staffed by the same people from Indigenous Environmental Network who were instrumental in defeating the KXL pipeline: http://indigenousrising.org/

Read the FAQs, follow Indigenous folks on social media, signal-boost, please help in any way you can. <3

Offline earthw7

• Standing Rock Tourism
« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2016, 02:31:18 pm »
thank you all for support us, and my camp Sacred Stone i just want to say that i am seen every fraud in the county show up, turtle heart has 5 fund sites saying he is raising fund for Standing Rock, we have even proposed fake medicine women and man in the country there. there are nine thousand people on the ground hard to search out all the fraud but they are here
In Spirit

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2016, 09:20:13 pm »
Thank you for protecting the water, LaDonna, and for being our guiding light here for so many years. My life would not be the same without you <3 . Our central crew is continuing to do all we can. You know you can call on us at any time to help deal with the frauds and fakes.

So many pretendians are trying to divert funds, or infiltrate camp for photo ops, or even do forced-teaming and lie that they are working with you or other leaders in camp when they've never met any of you, and when they have worked for years to harm the very people they now claim to be helping. We've seen people lie that they were there doing ceremony, or lie that they were invited to ceremony. We've also seen appropriators headed out there for the sole purpose of trying to sneak into ceremony to try to witness enough that they can imitate things later for pay, ego, or advancement of their fabricated pretendian identities and careers. It's seemingly endless, and particularly evil that they are exploiting this dire situation.

Friends, with the cops now shooting protectors with freezing water cannons, concussion grenades, tear gas, plastic bullets, barricading people from coming or going from camp and DAPL drilling in defiance of the stop-work orders, everyone, please - pray, send money, and if you are able-bodied and able to warrior up, please stand. See the links up-thread, and here are the ally guidelines for those who've never been part of an in-person, indigenous led community or action camp. Please read them. We need everyone who can help, and we need all helpers to be effective. Not everyone belongs in camp. Some are best suited to other tasks, and can make more of an impact in those roles.

For donations, the medics and healers were hit particularly hard by the recent cop assaults on North camp, so their stores have been very badly depleted. They are regularly updating the list here:

Donate directly to the Indigenous-led Medics, Healers & EMTs on site: https://medichealercouncil.com/donate/

Cultural Guidelines: https://medichealercouncil.com/preparation-faq/cultural-respect-faq/

http://www.standingrocksolidaritynetwork.org/resource-packet.html

Quoting here from one of the resource packet pdfs:

Raise Awareness for Standing Rock Responsibly.

Those of us who are not from Standing Rock cannot actually speak for those in the struggle or represent the struggle. As we push for visibility of Indigenous-led struggles, which are too often invisibilized in the movements for human rights, environmental justice and climate justice struggle, it is crucial that we are responsible in how we help in making it visible. Our goal as non-Native supporters should be to amplify the Indigenous voices from camp--not to speak for Indigenous people or replace their voice.
• If you are asked to do an interview about your experience at Standing Rock, try and direct the interviewer to an Indigenous journalist or spokesperson instead.
• If you are hosting an event to raise awareness or resources that is by and for white allies, be clear in your presentation of and outreach for the event that it is NOT a reflection or part of current Indigenous and POC conversations about decolonization.
• If you are hosting an event to raise awareness or resources, always prioritize bringing out Indigenous people from Standing Rock to speak about the struggle.
• If you absolutely cannot bring a person from Standing Rock out to speak about camp, please pair your talk
with a screening of a video about Standing Rock made by Indigenous camp leadership, provide lots of literature at the event that includes Indigenous voices from camp, and make it clear in your advertising of the event that
you, not someone from Standing Rock will be speaking.
• If you do speak at a “Standing Rock event,” avoid giving a presentation about the struggle; speak clearly from your perspective about your experience as a supporter. Avoid romanticizing Indigenous cultures or struggles and focus on concrete and material ways that others can provide support. For example, make sure you have a current list of needs from the camp so people can provide needed resources, or have a way for people to donate to the camps at the event.

P.S. - Learn to listen to known elders and leaders about who is actually Indigenous. As LaDonna says, every fraud on the planet seems to be coming out of the woodwork now. It is guaranteed that you will encounter non-Natives claiming to be Indigenous leaders now, whether online or at camp. You will have to take the time and effort to vet people's claims. Now is when you have to trust the networks that were established before this all started, the real friendships and alliances established over the years, not people showing up out of nowhere with grandiose claims.

Stay strong, everyone. It's on.

Offline Diana

• I Love YaBB 2!
« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2016, 01:43:13 am »
I hear there are a lot of those rainbow people out there. Bleeck! The very same people that violated  the Black Hills, the gall of these white people are beyond words. @ Earth7, is there some way to clean the camp out of these people? They are usually very easy to spot. Just a thought.

Offline Lamana

« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2016, 09:52:22 pm »
I saw the press conference they held yesterday and I must say I am so very proud of all of them for their strength and courage, and yet I am also very afraid of what might happen as they defy the eviction notice. So much senseless violence has been directed at them already, so I am very worried about what will happen come December 5th. I am writing a letter to President Obama telling him as politely as I can to grow a backbone and do something! Anything else we can do besides sending prayers and money?
Wrong is wrong even if everyone is doing it, and right is right even if no one is doing it.

Offline Lamana

« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2016, 06:39:19 am »
THEY DID IT!
While they are urging everyone to stay cautious as the new president's administration comes into effect next month, still it is a victory worth celebrating! I am so very proud of all the Protectors and all the good people who respectfully joined them. Native peoples making their voices hear throughout this land - YES!  ;D
Wrong is wrong even if everyone is doing it, and right is right even if no one is doing it.

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: December 05, 2016, 06:18:16 pm »
It's not just the new administration to be wary of. While this is a victory in the battle, and to be celebrated, the war is still on. DAPL has defied all past injunctions and continued to dig and drill. Their plan all along has been to violate the law and proceed anyway. Most likely this will still come down to physical blockades.

Celebration... and getting ready for the next round.

Offline earthw7

• Standing Rock Tourism
« Reply #9 on: December 07, 2016, 01:29:23 pm »
we continue to stand with prayer until the Black Snake is dead
In Spirit

Offline educatedindian

• Administrator
Re: #NoDAPL Nomination for Nobel Peace Prize
« Reply #10 on: December 08, 2016, 10:28:42 pm »
Two days ago I sent my nomination of NoDAPL to the Nobel Peace Prize Committee. As an associate professor of history, I am eligible to send a nomination. Whether or not the movement wins the prize, I hope this will gain more publicity and support for the issues.

Just today I sent this open letter to the NY Times, Washington Post, and Indian Country Today. I'm going to start reposting it anywhere I can. Please everyone, feel free to do so yourself also. Again, the idea is to gain as much attention as possible, make it harder for the company to ignore the order and for Drumpf to reverse it.

------
An Open Letter to the Nobel Peace Prize Committee

As an associate professor of history, I submitted the following letter to the committee. I make this letter public not curry any favor or put any pressure on the committee, but to continue to bring these issues of the NoDAPL movement to the general public.
To the members of the Nobel Peace Prize committee,

I hereby nominate the No Dakota Access Pipe Line movement, commonly known and referred to as NoDAPL, for the Nobel Peace Prize for the following reasons:

1. NoDAPL was formed to oppose an oil pipeline which threatens to contaminate water supplies on the adjacent Standing Rock Indian Reservation, homeland to Dakota and Lakota indigenous peoples. The pipeline also would pass through sites sacred to traditional Dakota and Lakota, including sites for ceremony and grave sites hundreds of years old. The pipeline had been explicitly rerouted from near a predominantly white town. NoDAPL stands as a meeting point for anti-racism, environmentalism, and religious rights movements.

2. NoDAPL is the largest gathering of American Indian demonstrators in the US in over 40 years, since the Trail of Broken Treaties in 1972. Up to 5,000 water protectors, as they call themselves, demonstrate at any one time. Its members include not only those from Standing Rock. The protectors are from more than 300 recognized American Indian tribes in the US. The National Congress of American Indians, representing the elected tribal leaders of recognized tribes, overwhelmingly passed a resolution in support. 87 of the tribes, representing the majority of the American Indian population, passed additional resolutions of support of their own.

3. NoDAPL also has the support of millions of non-Natives from every background and every part of the United States and the world. Black and Latino groups added their support. Six major US city councils voted resolutions of support. Standing Rock Tribal Chairman David Archambault has spoken before the United Nations. Most recently, more than 2,000 US military veterans came to shield the protectors from the constant violence, threats, and harassment from private security and law enforcement. Such support has extended overseas as well, across Europe, Japan, the Middle East, Australia, and New Zealand. Over 200 of the world’s best known musicians have expressed public support in a letter to President Obama, and half a dozen of them have done benefit concerts or performances.

4. NoDAPL water protectors have faced police and private security attacking them with clubs, dogs, mace, tear gas, pepper spray, rubber bullets, concussion grenades, and water cannons soaking them in below freezing temperatures. Thousands have been arrested and hundreds have been injured, including one suffering amputation of her arm. All have been repeatedly threatened with jail and heavy fines. Racists and others have spread rumors and disinformation, falsely accusing protectors of being paid, being communists or terrorists, or engaged in stereotyping of Natives as lazy, violent, or drunks. Even journalists reporting the demonstrations were arrested or shot with rubber bullets.

5. NoDAPL withstood extreme weather conditions in one of the coldest parts of the US, a militarized police and private security response, a lack of most media attention, and the public declaration that the military would shut down the camp. They finally achieved victory in their desired goal. On December 4, President Obama directed the US Army Corps of Engineers to seek another route. A multi-billion dollar project by one of the most powerful energy companies was resisted by one of the finest examples of passive resistance and protest. The NoDAPL movement could well be the blueprint for resistance against a President Drumpf/Trump’s administration made up of white supremacists, other bigots, and multi billionaire corporate elites.

6. There remains the real possibility that this victory may be undermined by the incoming President Elect, Donald Trump. (Originally the family name was Drumpf, but that changed due to self-hatred on the part of this family of German immigrants.) Drumpf/Trump is widely reported to have several hundred thousand dollars personally invested in the pipeline, and company executives in return donated tens of thousands to his campaign. Drumpf/Trump has vowed to force through the pipeline in his first 100 days in office, as one of his top ten priorities. His incoming administration is heavy with energy company executives and climate change deniers. His extensive 40 year history of anti-Native and other virulent racist beliefs and actions are a matter of public record. This nomination and the winning of the Nobel Peace Prize both could successfully pressure Drumpf/Trump to not reverse the current Army Corp of Engineers decision. 

Submitted respectfully,
Dr. Alton Carroll
Associate Professor of History
Northern Virginia Community College
Sterling, Virginia, USA

Offline earthw7

• Standing Rock Tourism
« Reply #11 on: December 19, 2016, 02:52:47 pm »
wow thank you this has been a fight for our lives but it is also a healing for our nations
In Spirit

Offline amorYcohetes

« Reply #12 on: February 01, 2017, 08:16:34 am »
Ok, here we go again  :o  >:(  :'(.

Trump is is a central actor behind the #noDAPL/ #StandWithStandingRock issue. He's been an investor in these pipelines and one of the first things he did in his Week One shock & awe campaign was sign an executive order pledging to reactivate #DAPL and #KXL. Beyond expanding the fossil fuel industry regardless of the consequences for all of us, I've also read reporting on his larger agenda to dismantle the sovereignty of the Indigenous tribes residing within the U.S.

Just tonight I see reports that the Army Corps of Engineers - which is supposed to be taking public comments on DAPL until Feb 20 - has been ordered to rescind Obama's decision and approve the easement

This past week has been a wide-ranging tsunami of assaults on human rights unleashed by the executive branch. And this is just the opening salvo of the Trump administration! Those of us living with the effects of these actions against Indigenous people - and also immigrants, Muslims, public education, healthcare access, women's rights, and on and on - must do whatever is in our power from where we stand to actively resist and to support those most directly affected.

Humblest thanks to those who have been braving winter weather and police abuse to continue protecting Water and Life.

• Global Moderator
« Reply #13 on: February 07, 2017, 04:47:50 pm »
Indigenous Environmental Network is collecting public comments and will be delivering them in an action later this week. If you haven't sent in a comment, now's the time to do so. 

Here's their page about it: http://indigenousrising.org/blog-25-issues-you-can-comment-on-for-the-dapl-eis/

Or you can go directly to the form for comment submission: https://actionnetwork.org/letters/submit-a-public-comment-on-dapl-eis?source=direct_link

• Global Moderator
« Reply #14 on: February 07, 2017, 09:24:49 pm »
BREAKING: The easement has been approved.
http://indigenousrising.org/wp-content/uploads/2017/02/Dakota-Access-Pipeline-Notification-Grijalva.pdf

To find or post a local action: http://everydayofaction.org/

Information on joining the stand at Standing Rock: https://www.facebook.com/CampOfTheSacredStone/photos/a.1696414397314258.1073741828.1570124769943222/1850082971947399/?type=3&theater

Sacred Stone Camp

The Army Corps is skipping the 14-day notification period and intend to grant the easement needed to drill no earlier than 24 hours after delivery of their Notice of Intent.

Further threats to the water are clearly imminent. When the easement is granted, we're asking for mass-distributed actions in support of water protectors and the SRST tribe who will file for temporary restraining order and an injunction to halt construction, but as we've seen before those filings will not stop the machines from digging into Unci Maka, Mother Earth.

Construction could begin at any time. If you go to Standing Rock, expect police violence, mass arrests, felony charges for just about anything, abuse while in custody, targeted persecution and racial profiling while driving around the area, etc.

We are calling for emergency actions all over the world. PLEASE, THIS IS OUR LAST STAND. Please visit everydayofaction.org to find or register an action wherever you are. Check out our world action map at bit.ly/nodapl2017

#NoDAPL