Author Topic: Need Advice! - Muscogee Acquaintence Turns to Scientology  (Read 3710 times)

Offline Zhaanpaxe

Need Advice! - Muscogee Acquaintence Turns to Scientology
« on: November 02, 2015, 05:11:53 am »
A friend of mine, I'll call her Ms. A, recently told me that her longtime friend, Ms. N, has cut off their decades-long friendship and taken her children down to a Scientology center in Texas. I know that it isn't my place to intervene really, but I want to try and at least notify someone who might be able to help this woman stay outside of the influence of a cult.

First some background: N probably has some issues with paranoia and/or mood swings. According to my friend A, Ms. N recently quit her job because she was convinced that her coworkers were spying on her and talking behind her back, and this isn't the first time that she has done so. Ms. N has even accused A of saying things about her on Facebook... while they are visiting with each other, and even demanded to see A's phone so that she could peruse her FB page to check. This all makes me very worried that she is exactly the type of person a cult would love to get their hands on.

Ms. N is a member of the Mvskoke Nation and has two kids; a 3 year old girl, and a 15 year old boy (who apparently has mild autism). The childrens' father is not in the picture, and I believe that he tried to gain custody of them once (essentially to spite his ex.)

I have asked some friends their advice, and they have responded by asking what I "want to happen" with any intervention. First off, I'm going to try and convince A to either contact her friend's parents herself, or to tell me their names so that I can notify them of the situation. I would love to be able to pass along any advice or contact information that the Forum might provide. Other than that, I am really hoping that the Mvskoke have something like the Women's Societies that some tribes have. If someone who was culturally connected to her and her kids could let her know that they are there for her, it might really help.   

So, please, I could use some advice.   :'(
"It took Father Schoenmakers 15 years to make a white man out of me, and it will take just 15 minutes to make an Osage out of myself."

- 'Governor' Joe Panenopashe

Offline Cetan

• Hoka Hey
Re: Need Advice! - Muscogee Acquaintence Turns to Scientology
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2015, 02:49:51 am »
I just heard an interview with Leah Remini on NPR, she was raised in Scientology and left it in 2013, she just wrote a memoir "Troublemaker: Surviving Hollywood and Scientology" and there may be some useful information there

Offline Zhaanpaxe

Re: Need Advice! - Muscogee Acquaintence Turns to Scientology
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2016, 03:59:50 am »
I wanted to update anyone that might have been worried about this. I've talked to my friend again recently and she updated me:

"Ms. N left my house early that morning and went to her parents' with the kids. Her Mom & Dad convinced her to leave the [grand]kids with them. She got put on some medicine that has stabilized her and we are talking again."

There are other details that I'll keep under my hat for privacy, but I just wanted to let you all know that the situation turned out way better than I feared.

That being said thank you to everyone for their thoughts, advice, or just worrying on their behalf!
"It took Father Schoenmakers 15 years to make a white man out of me, and it will take just 15 minutes to make an Osage out of myself."

- 'Governor' Joe Panenopashe