Author Topic: Native Australian healing?  (Read 7133 times)

Offline vikinglady

Native Australian healing?
« on: October 18, 2005, 02:33:29 pm »
This has nothing to do with Native American cultures but just wanted to mention it anyway since there was an article in the Swedish papers about it. The latest thing in "the world of Healing" is to heal people with a didgeridoo. The photo in the paper shows a half naked woman lying on a mattress while a Swedish guy plays the didgeridoo while the instrument is resting on her naked body.

In the interview the guy says: "Well, I don´t know anything about Native Australian traditions but I have heard they use the didgeridoo for healing."

Now, I don´t know much either. But having the honour of being a friend of a Native Australian guy living here, I have come to understand that using a didgeridoo is not like pulling up a guitarr and singing a song. It is a sacred ritual and women aren´t even allowed to play them.

Whether a Swedish homemade didgeridoo healing-massage is offensive to Australian Natives or not I don´t have a clue, but it sure seems like yet another attempt to use sacred things from indigenous people in order to make money.  :(

Offline ikk

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
Re: Native Australian healing?
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2005, 11:52:39 am »
Sound crazy! In which paper did you see the article?

Offline vikinglady

Re: Native Australian healing?
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2005, 01:29:39 pm »
Hi there!  :D

The article was in "Goteborgs-Tidningen".
There is a guy in Stockholm doing this "therapy".

I have noticed that some woman is out teaching didgeridoo and various "ceremonies" in Scandinavia. Have you come across her? Can´t remember her name.

Annika