Author Topic: Makes me laugh  (Read 6501 times)

Offline Dos osos

Makes me laugh
« on: June 18, 2014, 12:16:37 pm »
In a world where we are taught that materials things are of great value , who doesn't want a cell phone , the latest Nikes a new car and who are the people most vulnerable to this ? Willing to do anything for money . It's all good however it's called progress but me personally all I see is garbage i look around and all these materials things will one day be garbage , just look at how much garbage in one house in one day we produce . We know a thing or two and we know that we can't continue like this forever . A report from NASA and other weather agencies just release not long ago estates than a hundred years from now humans are gonna be severely affected by climate change ; Since the beginning of the Industrial Revolution, the acidity of surface ocean waters has increased by about 30 percent.This increase is the result of humans emitting more carbon dioxide into the atmosphere and hence more being absorbed into the oceans. The amount of carbon dioxide absorbed by the upper layer of the oceans is increasing by about 2 billion tons per year. Yet there is people out there that say no it won't happen I mean how ignorant can one be . You think China is thinking green ? Or more cars , more factories more concrete cities and we know China is the most populous country in the world . Anyways the way of my people is disapiring every day to make way for concrete jungles but at the end it's part of evolution and The great spirit God knows why must the world turn the way it does. ;D
« Last Edit: June 22, 2014, 04:39:23 am by Dos osos »

Offline earthw7

• Standing Rock Tourism
Re: Makes me laugh
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2014, 02:34:56 pm »
ah a rant today, :o
I know that as a Lakota who lives on my homeland among my people,
Culture, language, traditional and a way of life is what makes you who you are.
We also believe in the earth native people still a part  of the world
In Spirit

Offline Dos osos

« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2014, 11:29:09 pm »
I know right I was ranting   :-[ ... Did you know that Quechua is the largest indigenous language in this continent currently spoken by 7 million people , it's a fact . Just sharing information  :)

Offline earthw7

• Standing Rock Tourism
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2014, 12:07:24 pm »
cool, Lakota is struggling we have total immersion school
In Spirit

Offline Dos osos

« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2014, 04:38:08 am »
Hmmmm total immersion ? Does that mean they don't get to learn their native language at school ?Well struggling can't be good but you know what they say " to live is to struggle and to struggle is to grow " ............. Much respect .

Offline Sturmboe

« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2014, 05:31:11 am »
I know right I was ranting   :-[ ... Did you know that Quechua is the largest indigenous language in this continent currently spoken by 7 million people , it's a fact . Just sharing information  :)

Is this really correct?
In Ecuador they speak Quichua, in Peru Quechua, in both languages are a lot similarities, but there are words having different meanings. There are also dialects.

Offline Dos osos

« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2014, 05:36:23 am »
Actually just did a little research and learned they do teach Lakota language at the Pine Ridge reservation  .... By the way how I found this site was by going to a web site call " First people of America and Canada " that I've been going for many years and recently i saw there a link for this web site .      Much respect.
« Last Edit: June 22, 2014, 05:50:43 am by Dos osos »

Offline Dos osos

« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2014, 05:42:10 am »
Sturmboe ; Noun, plural Quech·uas ( especially collectively ) Quech·ua for 2.
the language of the Inca civilization, presently spoken by about 7 million people in Peru, Ecuador, Bolivia, Chile, and Argentina.

« Last Edit: June 22, 2014, 05:49:28 am by Dos osos »

Offline Sturmboe

« Reply #8 on: June 22, 2014, 10:56:57 am »
Dod Dos,

you wrote "Quechua" (singular)in your first text, I understand this as if you mention just this one language does exist, in this way as I read it in books: Indegnas in Ecuador speak in Quechua. A lot of people think they all speak Quechua as if exist just this one language, I thought in the same way. There was no ifferenciation between languages, Quechua not mentioned as a speech - family.
When I met some indegenas from South America, they told me they speak Quichua in Ecuador, not Quechua. In Peru they speak Quechua, in Bolivia Aymara. Near the frontier the languages are mixing. Some Ecuadorian indegenas react indignant, when they hear again and again: "Oh, you are from Ecuador, you speak Quechua", as if other people know better which languages they talk. Wrongly?

This comes to a question of mine: It is ok, to put different native languages in one big language - family? It could lead to misunderstandings just for a false interpretation if people don´t respect the difference in the languages. Misunderstanding can make people laugh, other hurts.
Another question: How many languages really exist in Ecuador, Peru, Chile, Bolivien, ... ?

Would it be in the same way to tell all Sioux who talk their own language are talking Sioux? If we do not differenciate between Lakota, Nakota, and more, would misunderstandings raising up just we thought there is just one language? I don´t know.

If we put all the languages in speech - families, could it be that we put all the different nations in one melting pot?
« Last Edit: June 22, 2014, 11:34:48 am by Sturmboe »

Offline Dos osos

« Reply #9 on: June 22, 2014, 02:29:23 pm »
Sturmboe I don't know the answer to your question for sure I got this information  out of dictionary .com a very reliable source I think .... I have never meet someone who spoke Quechua in North America ... I know people in Bolivia also speak Aymara language and there must thousands of native languages throughout the continent however Quechua is for sure the largests .... Anyway here is what "dictionary.com " had to say :                                                                                                           Quech·ua  [kech-wah, -wuh]  Show IPA
noun, plural Quech·uas ( especially collectively ) Quech·ua for 2.
the language of the Inca civilization, presently spoken by about 7 million people in Peru, Ecuador, Bolivia, Chile, and Argentina.
a member of an Indian people of Peru speaking Quechua.
Also, Kechua, Kechuan, Quechuan, Quichua.
Dictionary.com Unabridged
Based on the Random House Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2014.
Cite This Source | Link To Quechua
Collins
World English Dictionary
Quechua , Kechua or Quichua  (?k?t?w?)

— n  , -uas , -ua
1.   a member of any of a group of South American Indian peoples of the Andes, including the Incas
2.   the language or family of languages spoken by these peoples, possibly distantly related to the Tupï-Guarani family
« Last Edit: June 23, 2014, 01:57:39 am by Dos osos »

Offline Dos osos

« Reply #10 on: June 22, 2014, 02:41:23 pm »
Oh by the way from what I know people who speak Quechua  usually never travel this far North like if you go to Ecuador or Chile or any of the countries mention  per say you would need to travel into the interior to find Native tongues most people speak Spanish as we know ; If they are  gonna come to the cities they must learn Spanish to get around , I know this .                                                                                          Much respect .
« Last Edit: June 22, 2014, 02:46:58 pm by Dos osos »

Offline earthw7

• Standing Rock Tourism
« Reply #11 on: June 29, 2014, 02:10:56 pm »
we teach, we speak and we live our language still today,
We have taken steps to make sure our language always lives,
I am from Standing Rock which north of Pine Ridge i think we are
about 7 hours by car a part. My people have a large nation so we
are on 14 reservation in the United States and nine Canadian Reserve.
In Spirit