Author Topic: a question on wooden wall hanging masks  (Read 4487 times)

Offline dabosijigwokush

a question on wooden wall hanging masks
« on: November 26, 2011, 11:35:13 am »
i was handed a very old wooden wall hanging mask, for authentication
it still has some black on it, on right side, red ochre on the left face  i cant call it paint looks more like clay
wood is very light and dryed out, very brittle
can not see place for tyes or marks of tyes , no nose cut out inside, so it was not worn
hollowed out back side
a wall or hanging art piece or cermony center piece
do not want to take any pictures of it, or post any
going to take it to a wood expert to find out what kind of tree it came from
looks like it has a caved shape of a ear of corn on the lower chin
carved hair parted in the middle with a gap, (balding in the middle)
eye and mouth are raised sockets
nose is just a bump
three hash marks on each cheek
sockets have tool marks , each different, like from a flint tool
any ideas where i can take it to be checked out with out leaving it, or having it disappear
for it is not mine, a gentalman bought it at a antique store like 40 years ago
i do see someone used hot glue to try to do some repairs on parts that had come loose
thank you for any help

Offline AnnOminous

Re: a question on wooden wall hanging masks
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2011, 07:15:54 pm »
I don't know much about Haudenosaunee ceremonial masks.  I do know they can be incredibly powerful, and that they play a vital role in the culture and spirituality of Six Nations People. You might find out it is made of White Pine, but does it really matter?  What would matter to me is having it returned to the People.  An artifact such as this, purchased at an auction, carries with it a history of exploitation, abuse and possibly more.  It's beyond me why anyone would want to retain such a piece in this day and age when we are much more aware of issues of grave-robbing, appropriation, and exploitation.  Why anyone would want a "souvenir" commemorating such deceit and abuse is beyond me.

If he doesn't know anything about it, have him return it to those who do.  The fact that both you and "the gentleman" want to protect the artifact tends to make me believe that you are both aware of the inappropriateness of it being in your possession.  That you are both guarding it reveals that you know it is a lot more important and valuable to others than it is to you.  At some level I think you are both aware of the strong medicine that is a part of this mask.

Do you live in eastern Canada/US?  If it were me, I would begin by making contact with Haudenosaunee Confederacy leaders.  The "gentleman" should be made aware that having this mask in his possession is not only inappropriate and exploitive but quite probably illegal.  Every effort should be made to return it.

Edited to add:  My friend spoke with her Mohawk husband who says it could be taken to a museum to be repatriated back to the People.  Unless the "gentleman", and you too, know how to care for this mask, he says "you should not be fooling around with it."  It is likely made of cherry wood. Because neither of you know where it came from, or what it was used for, he says it is "nothing to fool with" and could cause problems, if it hasn't already, for you both.
« Last Edit: November 27, 2011, 07:48:37 pm by AnnOminous »

Offline Smart Mule

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2011, 01:33:07 pm »
dabosijigwokush, your friend should return this to the Haudenosaunee.  Elders and ceremonial leaders of the Haudenosaunee have been fighting for years against the commercial trade of these items. I'm messaging you privately about certain aspects pertaining to this issue.  I agree with Ann, there is a lot involved with caring for these masks and I doubt your friend has been doing this. 

You can contact the Haudenosaunee Grand Council of Chiefs at (315) 492-4210 for repatriation.

Offline dabosijigwokush

« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2012, 09:06:08 pm »
item has been repatrated

Offline Defend the Sacred

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2012, 10:15:25 pm »