Author Topic: Can Anyone Tell Me if these writers are for real or Fakes?  (Read 7883 times)

Eccentric Lady

Can Anyone Tell Me if these writers are for real or Fakes?
« on: January 10, 2011, 05:40:07 pm »
I have got some books recently. I wish to know if the writers are "for real" or fakes.

First one is, "White Buffalo Teachings" by Chief Arvol Looking Horse. Now from what I have read he is for real, right? I hope? This book and two others; one  titled, "Voice of the Hawk Elder" by Edna Gordon with Harvey Arden and another titled, "Noble Red Man" by Mathew King cover says, Lakota Wisdomkeeper Mathew King.
I got these books through HYT Publishing http://www.haveyouthought.com/about.html

Another book I received as a gift was published by Fawcett Publications and Copyright in 1971 by Chief William Red Fox and is titled, "The Memoirs of Chief Red Fox".

Two other books; one titled "Mankiller" written by Wilma Mankiller and Michael Wallis,  and the other titled "Lame Deer, Seeker of Visions" by John (Fire) Lame Deer and Richard Erdoes.

Should I have started new topic for each? I hope by placing the books I have that I wish to know if written by real or fakes makes it easier. And sorry if already posted I did do a quick search and came up with nothing so maybe looking in wrong place on the forum?

Thank you anyone for answer for I was/am looking forward to getting into reading these.

Eccentric Lady

Re: Can Anyone Tell Me if these writers are for real or Fakes?
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2011, 05:56:54 pm »
Okay I found the topic Frauds
"People, websites, books and events to avoid"

..so I am going to head on over to that topic and read and hopefully find my answers.

Thanks again for this forum

Offline Superdog

« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2011, 06:05:28 pm »
The publisher looks pretty credible.

Arvol Looking Horse is a recognized medicine man from Cheyenne River (pretty sure it's Cheyenne River...someone correct me if I'm wrong please) The "White Buffalo Teachings" is not necessarily a book as it was an accompaniment of Arvol's World Peace and Prayer Day and according to the publisher...recently republished.

Wilma Mankiller was the former principal Chief of the Cherokee Nation of Oklahoma and IMHO one of the most profound leaders ever produced on American soil in modern times woman or man/Native or non-Native.

Can't comment on the others as I don't know enough about them.

One of the publishers, Harvey Arden, has a long history of working with indigenous people and lectures at many credible institutions on the works you've listed.  I haven't read them however, and cannot comment much further, however I do like what he says about himself on his bio page on his own website.

http://www.harveysplace.net/bio.html

"Regarding why I, a white guy, am so involved in the indigenous world, I subscribe to the philosophy expressed in this statement by Australian Aboriginal Elder Lilla Watson:

"If you've come here to help me, you're wasting your time.
But if you've come because your liberation is bound up with mine,
then let us work together.""

Just keep in mind...they are books and not a substitute for actual life lessons, however he does seem to chronicle some amazing people and those stories alone are inspiring.

Superdog

Eccentric Lady

« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2011, 06:27:35 pm »
Thank you Superdog for the information.

My first read will be "White Buffalo Teachings" since a few people said it is very good. Something about the Sacred Peace Pipe of Catlinite AKA Pipestone? And of a White Buffalo that became a woman with message of peace that turned back into buffalo if I recall from what they shared? Please correct me if wrong. I am going to read that today after work which I need to get to here. Guess reading will answer my questions :)

And truly wonderful to know about wonderful Wilma Mankiller as this is another I have been wanting to read but had to be sure not reading falsehoods. So, next on my read list there.

Thank you again.

Offline Defend the Sacred

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2011, 06:50:12 pm »
The search function is your friend: http://www.newagefraud.org/smf/index.php?action=search

It can also be reached via the blue tabs at the upper left of your screen, under the header box. The other search box, on the right, is less reliable and will only search the section you're in.

When you have a question, please search the forums first to see if there is already a thread.

Eccentric Lady

« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2011, 07:58:08 pm »
Thank you Kathryn I did do a previous quick search and then did another search just a moment ago with the other search link you posted (thank you)

I did not find anything for Edna Gordon Voice of the Hawk Elder that I bought from HYT Publishing; nor did I find anything on The Memoirs of Chief Red Fox though.

The Memoirs of Chief Red Fox is an older soft cover book by Fawcett Crest Book Copyright 1971 by Chief William Red Fox. Library of Congress information inside Catalog Number: 70:146473
It has an introduction by Cash Asher. Also looked up information on that person here and come up with nothing. I am filling in the search information as directions/sample shows but still maybe I am not looking in right place although I have checked out Frauds, Non-Frauds and Research Needed.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2014, 01:50:38 am by Kathryn »

Eccentric Lady

« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2011, 08:00:47 pm »
Thank you again everyone for advice and information it truly is greatly appreciated.

I have to get back to work so will check in later and read through site more.

Eccentric Lady

« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2011, 04:55:14 pm »
I thought there was a topic on "Recommended Books, Songs, Singers" that were of legit/real and not fakes, can anyone please direct me to the right place?

For I wish to add a couple of recommendations

I very highly recommend The "White Buffalo Teachings" which is not necessarily a book as it was an accompaniment of Arvol's World Peace and Prayer Day and according to the publisher...recently republished.

But would also highly recommend "MANKILLER" A Chief and Her People written by Wilma Mankiller and Michael Wallis.

Eccentric Lady

« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2011, 04:57:09 pm »
 ::) Never mind I looked again and found it.  ;D

Native American Authors Project
http://www.newagefraud.org/smf/index.php?topic=1680.0

Eccentric Lady

« Reply #9 on: January 12, 2011, 05:02:28 pm »
I went to post over there but before doing so, this note popped up

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Should I still post there or, start new topic? I am going to be reading over the thread more thoroughly while I have time before leaving for work this morning. Want to see if book recommendations not already posted.

*Edited to add*

Or, should I, or can someone let me know if okay for me to post here:
NAFPS Highly Recommends...thread
http://www.newagefraud.org/smf/index.php?topic=79.0
« Last Edit: January 12, 2011, 05:19:40 pm by Eccentric Lady »

Offline earthw7

• Standing Rock Tourism
« Reply #10 on: January 12, 2011, 07:59:43 pm »
Today many of our people write books
we have alot of author who are native with that said
we also have fakes out there, all you have to do is
search on the web and find the list.
In Spirit

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: January 12, 2011, 08:14:56 pm »
Eccentric, please don't add to "NAFPS recommends".

Thanks for asking. 

You can discuss the books here if you like.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2014, 01:51:13 am by Kathryn »

Eccentric Lady

« Reply #12 on: January 13, 2011, 04:16:15 am »
Okay thank you Kathryn

I will post books here if I have any questions as I have time. I found a great (what I think looks good) native american Indian writer list so will share more after I have looked into it more.

Work is getting busier for us so will not be able to post too much but when time I will.

Thanks again

• Global Moderator
« Reply #13 on: January 13, 2011, 07:00:00 pm »
As this is more of a general discussion than active research, I'm moving this to etc.