Author Topic: National Day of Mourning March in Plymouth?  (Read 4219 times)

Offline amorYcohetes

National Day of Mourning March in Plymouth?
« on: November 21, 2010, 03:01:51 am »
Hey there, wondering if anyone here goes to this event?  I've gone in past years, but not recently due to family health issues.  I think this year I may get to some other stuff that the Mashpee Wamps are doing rather than the march.  I am aware that the organizers are involved in some sectarian political stuff and there is controversy between them and the Mashpee Wampanoag who originated the event.  I do believe in the message of National Day of Mourning; wondering what the perspectives of people on this forum are. 

Offline amorYcohetes

Re: National Day of Mourning March in Plymouth?
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2010, 09:29:58 am »
While I was looking around the net about this issue, I found a speech by another one of the Peters that I really liked and wanted to link here: Paula Peters' 2009 speech to the Massachusetts Mayflower Descendants Society.

Offline amorYcohetes

Re: National Day of Mourning March in Plymouth?
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2014, 04:18:09 am »
I've visited the National Museum of the American Indian in Washington DC and got onto their mailing list somehow (under a typo'd name, LOL), and I saw in a recent e-newsletter they're linking a post on their blog by one of their employees, Dennis Zotigh, titled "Do American Indians Celebrate Thanksgiving?" which makes reference to the "National Day of Mourning" march in Plymouth.  Mr. Zotigh's tribal affiliation is not from the New England area, however. 
The essay seems to be making a wider circulation this year - I also saw A Tribe Called Red was linking it.

On another social media meme topic, Honor the Earth did a hilarious parody video upon discovering that Enbridge Oil Co. was seeking a consultant "to provide stakeholder relations services at an advanced level, including planning and execution of Tribal public consultation programs for Enbridge projects" - English translation: trying to buy Native acceptance of the the tar sands pipelines!  Looks like if you have a Twitter or Facebook account, you can help them spread the message against Keystone XL, etc this Tuesday, 12/02/14.  It's on the page linked above about the video.