Author Topic: Mi'kmaq/Metis Class Action Lawsuit  (Read 21146 times)

apukjij

Mi'kmaq/Metis Class Action Lawsuit
« on: April 13, 2010, 03:48:08 pm »
Heriditary District Chief of the Mi'kmaq Grand Council and the East Coast First Peoples Alliance sue the Canadian govt for the Crimes of Genocide.
http://www.scribd.com/doc/29662410/New-Brunswick-Notice-of-Action-April-2010

Offline Moma_porcupine

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
Re: Mi'kmaq/Metis Class Action Lawsuit
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2010, 06:58:15 pm »
Thats interesting ....But my computer can't read the information on that site without downloading stuff I'm not sure about... So I hope what I am saying here isn't missing something important that was explained in that link...

I found this article below...

http://www.ottawacitizen.com/news/natives+launch+billion+lawsuit+against+feds/2784679/story.html

N.B. natives launch $13 billion lawsuit against feds

By Jennifer Pritchett, Telegraph-JournalApril 9, 2010

Jackie Vautour and his son Roy, who have long fought to receive Metis constitutional rights, are among the plaintiffs listed on a notice of action made public at a news conference in Ottawa on Friday.

The notice also lists as plaintiffs hereditary chief Stephen J. Augustine, an Elsipogtog band member who lives in the Ottawa area, and the New Brunswick-based East Coast First People Alliance.

The notice of action also declares that the existence of Metis people in New Brunswick should be recognized, and that the plaintiffs are entitled to a stay of proceedings for all prosecutions for contraventions of hunting, fishing and forestry regulations until the civil suit is settled.

I'm still trying to figure out how Metis is defined. Fighting for the rights of people claiming to be Metis if this isn't clearly defined seems like it will lead to a lot of problems...

It is like fighting for the legal right to a house for any owner named John ?someone??? who's last name will be sorted out later. ...

If the right to the house is granted there will be a big fight between people named John for the rights to benifit from the property.

This ties in with some other research I've been doing to do with the Qalipu band.

In the link below , I have put together images of a couple family trees which might be considered to be Metis, along with an illistration of the relationships some members of these families have had with the recognized Mi'kmaq community over several generations.

I'm hoping an illistration like this will help to clarify what I am asking ,when I ask how "Metis" is being defined...

http://docs.google.com/View?id=dcwzmv4g_133m25xstcg

A more detailed explaination about some of the people listed in the genealogies above, is explained in the link below...

http://docs.google.com/View?id=dcwzmv4g_125dfpxmrhf

Stephen J. Augustine sounds like he has the respect of the Mi'kmaq community, and I see he is listed as a District Cheif of the Mi'kmaq Grand Council

http://mikmawey.uccb.ns.ca/reserves.html

Grand Council ~ Sante' Mawi'omi ~ Members

* Grand Chief Ben Sylliboy (Waycobah)

(list continues...)

Captain Stephen Augustine (Big Cove)

http://www.danielnpaul.com/StephenJAugustine.html

Stephen J. Augustine
Curator of Ethnology, Eastern Maritime
The Museum of Civilization

Stephen obtained a Bachelor of Arts in Anthropology and Political Science from St. Thomas University (New Brunswick) in 1986, and also holds a Master of Arts in Canadian Studies from Carleton University (Ottawa, Ontario), focusing on traditional knowledge curriculum development in the context of the education system.

Over the years, he has shared his expertise in research and traditional knowledge with many organizations, including the Assembly of First Nations, government departments, and various First Nations communities across Canada.
(article continues...)

However , I have seen stuff about the East Coast First People Alliance before which made me think this organization is bogus.

Below is a couple links to this oganization....

http://www.ecfpa.ca/nwmi.html

http://www.ecfpa.ca/constit.html

It sounds like they give out membership cards and represent absolutely anyone...

http://genforum.genealogy.com/cgi-bin/pageload.cgi?east,coast,first,people,alliance::lejeune::617.html

Today in the mail...I have finally received my East  Coast First  People Alliance  card...it says that I am of Mic Mac origine...(status under article 35 Constitution of Canada)
According to the papers I was sent
I am a descendant of Pierre leJeune and it says Une Micmacque as his wife) then it says Catherine Lejeune married to Francoie Savoie (born v. 1621 married v 1651)

Germain Savoie born 1654 married 1680 to Marie Breau
Germain Savoie born 1681 married jan 16, 1709 Port Royal, spouse Genevieve Babineau.

There are names like: Jean Savoie, Michel Savoie, Rosalie Savoie. Gertrude Desroches, Ester Bastarache, Marie Allain,
Olivier Richard, Rosalie Savoie, Lazare Robichaud, Olivier Robichaud (my gr.grandfather, and Fidele O. Robichaud (1877-1949) My maternal grandfather and then my Mother of course Lucie Robichaud and me, Maria Breau Yoppolo.
So I guess I have relatives out there I never knew..

HOW do I get to the websites you've mentioned to research Indian records? THANK you all for a wealth of info. on this LeJeune site:

http://genforum.genealogy.com/lejeune/messages/662.html

To all of you who have asked me for my contact for getting your (what I call - Indian Card)...if you write to me I will gladly give you the name and address as well as phone number of this Geneologiest, who lives in Lameque, New Brunswick, Canada.

Again, my geneology went to Pierre LeJeune b. 1595 in Martaize, France - married in 1624 to "Une Micmacque" (1610)
I have no certificates of thiws..
.just the line leads all the way to my Mother and then to myself.

I'm not sure about some of the specific individuals mentioned , though the family names are all French and represent mainly French desecendents, but when it comes to the Lejeunes she is claiming were Mi'kmaq, mtDNA and other records have repeatedly proven this persons Lejeune ancestor who was born in the early 1600's was in fact European...

Catherine and Edmee Lejeune were both sisters...

http://www.acadian-home.org/origins-mtdna.html#Catherine%20Lejeune

http://www.acadian-home.org/origins-mtdna.html#Edmee%20Lejeune

More details on this are in the links above...

And I seem to recall reading the East Coast Alliance was once before involved in trying to demand rights and recognition in a specific case.... I seem to recall being suprised, as the individual was a very distant descendent .... Maybe my memory may is wrong.. I'll try to see if I can find this...

Who exactly is this East Coast Alliance representing as Metis?

I wonder if Stephen J. Augustine is fully aware of who the people are, that he is working with on this?

« Last Edit: April 13, 2010, 07:52:48 pm by Moma_porcupine »

Offline Moma_porcupine

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2010, 07:33:35 pm »
I found where I saw the East Coast First People Alliance mentioned before

http://www.autochtones.ca/forum/viewtopic.php?t=23&view=next&sid=6ad28061e3e18f29a849275d62ed590e

This Document : 2004 NBQB 79 (CanLII)
Citation: R. v. Daigle, 2004 NBQB 79
Date: 2004-02-23
Docket: B-M-25-03

2004 NBQB 079 B-M-25-03
IN THE COURT OF QUEEN'S BENCH OF NEW BRUNSWICK
TRIAL DIVISION
JUDICIAL DISTRICT OF BATHURST
BETWEEN:
DANIEL DAIGLE
Appelant,
v.
HER MAJESTY THE QUEEN
Respondent.

BEFORE: The Honourable Mr. Justice J.A. Réginald Léger
HELD AT: Bathurst, N.B.
DATE OF HEARING: February 16, 2004
DATE OF DECISION: February 23, 2004
APPEARANCES: Henry J. Bear, Esq., for the Appellant
Pierre Castonguay, Esq., for the Respondent
Léger, J.:

This is a summary conviction appeal under part XXVII of the Criminal Code of Canada and pursuant to Rule 64 of the Rules of Court.

The appellant, Daniel Daigle, appeals his conviction by Judge Donald J. LeBlanc, a judge of the Provincial Court of New Brunswick. The charge against the appellant was as follows:

On or about the 31st day of August A.D. 1999, at or near California Lake County of Northumberland and Province of New Brunswick, DID unlawfully retain a trout greater than 30 cm but inferior to 36 cm in length on California Lake, thereby committing an offence contrary to section 23(1.1)(b) of Regulation 82-103 of the New Brunswick Fish and Wildlife Act being Chapter F-14.1 and amendments thereto.

At trial, counsel for the Crown and for the appellant presented the court with the following agreed statement of facts:

On August 31, 1999 at approximately 20:35 hours the Defendant, Daniel Daigle, along with another person, was found, at California Lake, Northumberland County, Province of New Brunswick, by Department of Natural Resources and Energy Game Wardens Craig Smith and Glen Daley ("the Wardens") to be in possession of two trouts exceeding 36 centimeters in length and one trout which was 33 centimeters in length. Both Mr. Daigle and his companion were holders of valid Daily Crown Reserve fishing licenses.

On California Lake a fisherman may only retain two trouts less than 30 centimeters in length or one trout greater than 36 centimeters in length and one trout less than 30 centimeters in length.

The Wardens seized the 33 centimeters trout. After having been advised of his rights under the Canadian Charter of Rights and Freedoms and having been read the standard police caution advising that he need not provide a statement, the defendant Daniel Daigle provided a statement of Warden Smith admitting that he had caught and retained the 33 centimeters trout.

On August 30, 1999Warden Daley had specifically explained the regulatory requirements of section 23(1.1)(b) concerning the length of trout to be retained to the defendant Daniel Daigle, who appeared to understand these requirements.

On September 1, 1999, the defendant attended the offices of the Wardens and produced a card issued by the East Coast First People's Alliance bearing number 4219.

The Defendant acknowledges that he, Daniel Daigle, did at the time and place alleged in the information, retain a trout greater than 30 centimeters in length but less than 36 centimeters in length.

The appellant also testified at his trial and produced several witnesses to substantiate his rights as an aboriginal under s. 35 of the Constitution Act, 1982. With respect to these witnesses, the trial judge made the following findings of fact at paragraph 49 to 53 of his decision.

49. I do accept, however, that the Defendant has profound convictions about his aboriginal bloodlines and these were transmitted in his youth by his mother who also testified and confirmed these convictions.

50. These convictions dated back to his youth and preceeded his membership four years ago into the East Coast First People Alliance and are therefore not recent convictions.

51. Also on the positive side, I accept Mr. Donald Morrison's testimony and D#7, the Family Tree Book, confirming that the Defendant can tract a full-blooded aboriginal person, by the name of Marie Aubois, in his family background.

52. I also accept Mr. Donald Morrison's research on Marie Aubois, who was born in 1665. Again according to Mr. Morrison, there are ten (10) generations between Mr. Daigle and Marie Aubois.

53. I am satisfied that this lineage is sufficient to qualify the Defendant for a membership card of the East Coast First Peoples Alliance.

In his decision, the trial judge concluded that the appellant's lineage was not sufficient to entitle him to any rights available under s. 35 of the Constitutional Act, 1982.

The trial judge also concluded that the appellant had failed to establish the existence of a historic Metis community or the existence of a modern day Metis community to which the appellant can claim membership. The appellant takes no issue with any of the trial judge's findings of facts.

In support of his appeal, the applicant relies on the following grounds of appeal:

1) The Court erred in not recognizing the appellant as a Métis or Aboriginal person entitled to the benefit of Section 35 of the Constitution Act, 1982;

2) The Court erred in not finding the regulation in question to be an unjustifiable infringement of the Appellant's aboriginal and treaty right to fish.

The appellant argued in his brief on appeal that he was entitled to the benefit of the protection of s. 35 of the Constitution Act, 1982 by reason of the fact that he was a Metis.

Section 35 of the Constitution Act, 1982 reads as follows:

(1) The existing aboriginal and treaty rights of the aboriginal peoples of Canada are hereby recognized and affirmed.

(2) In this Act, "aboriginal peoples of Canada" includes the Indian, Inuit, and Metis peoples of Canada.

The appellant in support of his argument that he should have, as an aboriginal, the benefit of s. 35 of the Act stated as follows in his brief on appeal:

(1) he has expert genealogical evidence of aboriginal ancestry
, per genealogist Donald Morrison's testimony, and Exhibit D-7, being genealogical documentation, both of which were accepted by the Court (decision, paragraphs 51-51);

(2) he believes he is Metis and publicly identifies himself as such, per the appellant's own testimony and the Court's finding that he "has profound convictions about his aboriginal bloodlines," which "were transmitted in his youth by his mother," and which "are therefore not recent convictions" (decision, paragraphs 49-50);

(3) he is accepted as a member of the Metis community or a Metis organization, per the testimony of Chief Gilbert Sewell regarding the historical Metis community comprised of the present-day Pabineau Mi'kmaq Indian Reserve, and per the testimony of Sandra Splude, past Executive Board Member of the East Coast First Peoples Alliance (ECFPA) regarding the appellant's membership in that organization.

During the course of the hearing on appeal, counsel for the appellant advised the court of his desire not to pursue any of the arguments relating to the issue of Metis rights under s. 35 of the Constitution Act, 1982. The appellant also informed that he agreed with the position taken by his counsel. However, the appellant, through his counsel, advised that he wished to continue with his appeal arguing that, as an aboriginal, he was entitled to the protection of s.35 of the Constitution Act, 1982.

Notwithstanding that the appellant abandoned all arguments on the Metis rights issue, I wish to add that in my view the appellant had not met the criteria necessary to benefit from the application of s. 35 of the Constitution Act, 1982, as a Metis as outlined in R. v. Powley, [2003] C.S.C. 43.

Clearly the appellant didn't establish at trial the existence of an identifiable Metis community with a sufficient degree of continuity and stability to support a site - specific aboriginal right. As stated by the Supreme Court of Canada in Powley supra, "A Metis community can be defined as a group of Metis with a distinctive collective identity, living together in the same geographic area and sharing a common way of life."

There is no evidence in the present case to support a finding of a Metis community as described in Powley, and in my view, the trial judge properly decided this issue.

The appellant now claims protection under s. 35 as an aboriginal. If the appellant is not a Metis, he must then establish that he is either an Indian or an Inuit if he is to benefit from the protection offered by s. 35 of the Act. The trial judge found that the appellant's closest full-blooded aboriginal person was Marie Aubois. According to the evidence, there are 10 generations between Marie Aubois and the appellant Daniel Daigle.

After reviewing all of the evidence, I find that the appellant has clearly failed to establish that he is entitled to the benefit of s. 35 of the Constitution Act, 1982 either as a Metis and Indian or an Inuit.

The appellant has not established a sufficient and substantial connection of Indian ancestry for him to be entitled to the benefit of s. 35 of the Act. The first ground of appeal is therefore without merit.

Although it is not necessary to address the second ground of appeal on the issue of an unjustified infringement of the appellant's right to fish, I would simply add that I am not prepared to interfere with the trial judge's findings. The trial judge concluded that the infringement of the appellant's right to fish was justified on the evidence before him. The trial judge's conclusion finds support in the evidence and consequently should not be disturbed.

Consequently, I find that the second ground of the appeal is also without merit.

For those reasons, the appeal is dismissed.
http://www.acadian-home.org/genealogy-aubois.html
AUBOIS GENEALOGY

Generation No. 1

1. MARIE (CHRISTINE) (DUBOIS) (HAUTBOIS)2 AUBOIS (UNKNOWN1) was born Abt. 1665. She married JEAN ROY DIT LALIBERTÉ Abt. 1686. He was born Abt. 1651 in St-Malo, France.

Notes for MARIE (CHRISTINE) (DUBOIS) (HAUTBOIS) AUBOIS: Census: Cap-Sable 1693 Christine 35 [sic], Port-Royal 1698 Marie 33; 1701 36 According to the act of marriage rehabilitation of her daughter Anne, written in the register for Port-Royal on 3 March 1706, Marie Aubois was Native. This means her mother would likely have been Mik'Maq.

Official documents: Port-Royal Registers Source: Dictionnaire Généalogique des Familles Acadiennes by Stephen A. White, page 37
« Last Edit: April 13, 2010, 07:38:54 pm by Moma_porcupine »

apukjij

« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2010, 03:33:38 pm »
i am still unable to speak with Stephen about this,
i do know this was done without the blessings of the Rez Chiefs as well it looks like the Mi'kmaq Grand Council (of which Stephen Augustine sits as a District (Hereditary) Chief from Elsipuktuk (Big Cove) the Districts Chiefs are commonly known as Keptins {Captains}) has not authorized this Lawsuit. I am unable to find any info in the east coast peoples alliance, Jackie Vautor i found on some youtube vids, he seems to be a local hero for the Mi'kmaq/Metis for him being charged with wildlife violations, and him fighting it in Court, (as momma p posted, he was unsucessful as the Court found that there was no validty to the claims there is a Mi'kmaq/Metis community which established itself sometime after Confederation in (1867).
That seems to be the reason why there is the inclusion in the Suit that the Govt must acknowledge there is a valid Mi'kmaq/Metis Community.
On Mi'kmaw Facebook sites there is a lot of people writing WOW!!! and Great!!! About Time!!!!, while on the Maliseet (which is the other Aboriginal Nation that inhabits the province of New Brunswick) Facebook sites there is mostly> What???? Metis????? who are the Metis????? are the Maliseet included???.
I do know Stephen has been working with the Mi'kmaq/Metis in the Maritimes for a few years as hes featured on many Mi'kmaq/Metis you-tube vids as Keynote Speaker.
i do not know enough of the Mi'kmaq/Metis claims in the province of New Brunswick to speak to their inclusion on this Lawsuit.
I do know that the history of the Mi'kmaq relations with the colonizers leaves us with a very strong case for Genocide. Lands were never ceded and usurped, smallpox blankets were issued to Mi'kmaq, Quarantine ships were berthed near Mi'kmaq Communities, a Scalping Proclamation offering 15 pounds Sterling for every Mi'kmaq Scalp brought to authorities is STILL on the Nova Scotia Law-books, then in the 20th century the abduction and physical, emotional, sexual and cult abuse surrounding the Residential School at Shubenacadie can definitely be considered Genocide under the current UN conventions (concerning the abduction of a Nation's children).
« Last Edit: April 15, 2010, 03:50:30 pm by apukjij »

Offline Moma_porcupine

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2010, 12:04:46 am »
I've been trying to learn more about the East Coast First Peoples Alliance, but except for reports of it handing out Indian cards to anyone, and that they appear to support people with one  gr gr gr gr gr gr gr gr grandmother as having a right to Aboriginal title and rescources, there doesn't seem to be much on line about them.

Mainly I see 3 links on their home page. One that goes to their constitution which is basically that they want to fight for what they call metis rights, and apparently by metis they mean people with one gr gr gr gr gr gr gr gr grandma , and a link about their logo and one more link that goes to a write up about how they were involved in the consultations which were supposed to be made with First Nations on turning lands belonging to indigenous peoples into nuclear waste dumps...

Those consultations sound like they happened in 2005,

http://web.archive.org/web/20050307103828/www.ecfpa.ca/nwmi.html

and the First Nations consulted weren't exactly enthusiatic....

http://www.afn.ca/article.asp?id=1772
Recommendations to the Nuclear Waste Management Organization
Nuclear Fuel Waste Dialogue

Recommendations to the Nuclear Waste Management Organization

September 30, 2005

Introduction

The Assembly of First Nations (AFN) has participated in a dialogue with First Nations across Canada on the issue of nuclear fuel waste management. This dialogue has been supported with financial assistance from the Nuclear Waste Management Organization (NWMO) and Natural Resources Canada (NRCan).

Included in these recommendations are comments regarding nuclear fuel waste management that we heard from First Nation communities as we traveled the country.  They range from a discussion about Aboriginal and treaty rights to energy policy to traditional knowledge.  That said First Nations have yet to reach conclusions on possible nuclear fuel waste disposal options.  The First Nations advised the AFN that they were not prepared to comment on the Draft Study Report Choosing a Way Forward: The Future Management of Canada’s Used Nuclear Fuel until they had sufficient time to study the issues and are not yet in a position to make a recommendation one way or the other regarding the options.  First Nations do have very strong opinions on the general issue of nuclear fuel waste management.

Many First  Nation communities are either in close proximity of a nuclear power plant or research centre or hold traditional territory in areas which may be considered for the long term storage of nuclear fuel waste. Many First Nation individuals, communities and organizations participated in the Seaborn Environmental Assessment Panel including the AFN.  The Seaborn Panel was conducted from 1989 to 1998 and reviewed the deep geological concept for the disposal of nuclear waste.  During the hearings, First Nations  expressed concern that: they had not had the opportunity to study the proposals; the proposals did not incorporate traditional ecological knowledge; the proposals strongly conflicted with their deeply held beliefs; and they doubted they would derive any significant benefit from agreeing to accept a nuclear fuel waste facility in their territory.  These concerns have not abated with time.

Since the Nuclear Fuel Waste Act (2002) came into force, the AFN Environmental Stewardship Unit began to play a role in First Nations engagement on the issue of nuclear fuel waste management.  NRCan has provided funding for the AFN to facilitate a nuclear fuel waste management dialogue with First  Nations  communities.  The AFN is also received funds from the NWMO to enhance its dialogue program.

Depending on the management approach selected, there is potential for hundreds of communities to be affected.  Several First Nations are close to a nuclear power plant (in Ontario, Quebec and New Brunswick), some hold traditional territory in areas that could be considered for long-term storage of nuclear fuel waste, while others are located along potential transportation routes.

While First  Nations had many concerns, no First Nation individual, group, or organization has indicated support for any of the proposed options for nuclear fuel waste  management.

http://intercontinentalcry.org/canada-indigenous-land-to-become-a-nuclear-outhouse/

Canada, Indigenous Land to Become a Nuclear Outhouse?
Posted by Ahni on September 9, 2007 at 11:56am 0 comments 1,426 views

The Indigenous Environmental Network (IEN) has expressed some major concerns about the possibility that Canada, the World’s largest Uranium Producer, may soon join the US-led Global Nuclear Energy Partnership (GNEP), a “group of nuclear powers dedicated to spreading nuclear technology into developing countries.”

As a price of entry to the GNEP, President George Bush has suggested that countries like Canada and Australia should agree to accept the disposed nuclear waste from the countries to which they sell the uranium. IEN’s concern here is that Canada will therein become a Nuclear regime like America and proceed to store the waste on or near indigenous lands

I'm not sure why an organization which represents people who are 1/1024 of Native descent ( or none at all) would be consulted on how the canadian government wants to use lands belonging to indigenous people, though I can see this may be useful to water down the opinion of legitimate First Nations.

What else has the East Coast First Peoples Alliance been involved with in the past 5 years?

Maybe they still have this link displayed because they feel this means they have been federally recognized, and not because disposing of nuclear waste is their main interest.... ?

On the surface anyway, this East Coast alliance just looks like another version of CAP except it is even more thinly vieled .... A compilation on some questions about CAP is in the link below

http://docs.google.com/View?id=dcwzmv4g_60dzqrvcgp

CAP is also alleged to have some connections with the nuclear industry . I'm not sure if the information below is entirely correct, though some of it seems to match up with my own research...

http://www.mohawknationnews.com/news/news.php?lang=en&category=58&layout=mnn

CAP membership appears to be appointed delegates. They are not “Indian”. They are a corporation. Apparently, anyone can join if they sign an affidavit that they are “Indian”.

I think the membership and leadership of CAP might be a bit more involved than is described here, but as CAP has a very open definition as to who is an Aboriginal person , and it doesn't reveal who it's members are so their background can be independantly checked out , there seems to be some basis to this complaint .

CAP recently laid claim to all “undeveloped Crown land” on behalf of their company, to try to keep “crown lands” as “crown lands”. CAP has inferred that it wants to “cost-share” with Canada any ventures on our land. They are basing this land grab on an unsubstantiated claim to Onowaregeh, Turtle Island. It has no basis in any kind of law except colonial presumptions. It’s shocking to see Canada supporting this anachronism that has been thoroughly discredited in international law. We, the titleholders, have never been informed about their fantasy over their imagined ownership of our unceded land, water and air.

CAP gets it funding from: Canadian Heritage, HRDC, Indian Affairs, Environment Canada, Health Canada, Office of the Federal Interlocutor, Statistics Canada, Natural Resources Canada and Nuclear Waste Management Organization [which stores nuclear waste]. Bingo! Why would there be a nuclear waste management organization funding a so-called “Indigenous representative” body? Why? Why? Why? It’s like fish in the moonlight. It looks beautiful, but it stinks!

Does CAP actually get funding from nuclear waste management or is this just refering to the funding they recieved to do consultations with their members on nuclear waste disposal ? ( in the territories they don't actually have title to )

That thread on Tecumseh Brown Eagle also had a mention of that group of fake NDNs were being used by the nuclear industry, but there was so much beside the point hard to follow and down right nutty comments posted in the 25 pages of that thread, I never had the patience to read through it all .

Sometimes I suspect there are people who intentionally flood a sensitive topic with spam to discourage people from reading through it...

http://www.newagefraud.org/smf/index.php?topic=2137.285
Reply #286

educatedindian
And Johnson is an errand boy for Rubino. Johnson is a useful (potentially well paid) puppet, someone who can be used to undermine NDN opposition to nuclear power plants....

Reply #288
quoting someone else in the thread
3. Lets be real here, in my opinion David R. is angry (no, livid) that the Chief wanted to include all Aboriginal Tribes and peoples in assisting the nuclear power plant, to follow the laws by informing all of the tribal groups. David R. is against both the power plant and all of the tribes being represented in the informational process.  

Educatedindians response
3. Obviously Johnson, Hopson, and Rubino support the power plant, while the actual NDNs oppose it. Nice of Hopson to confirm that. Johnson's part is to be a professional token, someone they can claim represents some of the NDNs.

It should indicate the depth of NDN opposition to the power plant that the pro power plant people had to go to an imposter to find someone to pose as one of their Native supporters.

Hopefully this is just a coincidence... and these groups in canada aren't being manipulated in the same way.....

I also found this...

http://web.archive.org/web/20040120031245/www.wabanakiconfederacy.com/appropriation.html

CULTURAL APPROPRIATION

cultural appropriation: The appropriation or taking of another people's culture.

The following organizations are NOT endorsed in any way by the Wabanaki Confederacy nor the Nations of the Wabanaki Confederacy. The Nations of the Wabanaki Confederacy being the Míkmaq (Micmac), Wolastoqiyik (Maliseet), Peskotomuhkatiyik (Passamaquoddy), Panawahpskewi (Penobscot), and Alnôbak (Abenaki), their respective governing Grand Councils, and their People. These organizations do not represent Wabanaki people in any way, and any claims to do so are fraudulent. They are not citizens of the Wabanaki Nations, and do not have any status as "Indian" with their own countries, the USA & Canada. These are American and Canadian citizens infringing on the rights of the Wabanaki People. Their claims are fraudulent, and their actions are cultural appropriation. The Wabanaki would like for the American and  Canadian governments to inact laws to protect the Wabanaki and other Aboriginal People from cultural appropriators and the organizations they invent.

There is a long list of organizations claiming to represent indigenous people and this list includes;

East Coast First Peoples Alliance ,Former Nation of Acadian Métis Indians members in north-eastern New Brunswick created a new organization

I wasn't sure if this list was created by a credible source, but Apukjij says it is...

http://www.newagefraud.org/smf/index.php?topic=1187.0
Reply #9
Apukjij
And i know of the committee who struck the list mentioned personally. They are very real and the current holder of the Wapana'ki Confederacy Bundle lives on the St Mary's First Nation in Fredericton, N.B.

Having information allegedly put out by a credible source, denouncing this East Coast alliance group, and but then having someone who is a member of the Grand Council supporting the same group, in a very public action of sueing the Canadian government for genocide , well.... it is confusing to say the least.

Just my opinion, and based on a shallow understanding of the situation, but it begins to border on bizarre when at the same time this group is representing what may be a bunch of non native / non rights bearing distant descendents who think having an Indian card is cool....who may be displacing or confusing the actual authority First Nations have - or should have- over their lands, and at the same time they are sueing the government for genocide, they are engaging in talks about storing nuclear waste on lands belonging to indigenous people ....

As Apukjij points out, the genocide that has happened is real enough and in many sneaky ways it appears this is still ongoing.

One aspect of this seems to be the canadian government refusing to formally register members of First Nations after 2 generations of outmarriage , evenif the First nation wishes to retain these people as citizens , while at the same time setting up and funding political organizations to represent these disenfranchised citizens, seemingly with agendas geared towards supporting the feds intrests and undermining those of First Nations.

As much as I sympathize with anyone of substantial native identity who has been discouraged from retaining this, it seems if the Mi'kmaq people want to retain their citizens after more than 2 generations of outmarriage or even reintegrate these distant descendents, it would be a lot better if it was the Mi'kmaq Nation had some clear and formal policey aimed at doing this , similar to the CNO. I really appreciate that the CNO makes it clear where they stand and that under some conditions they will enroll people who are 1/1024 Native descent. Knowing this is their position and they feel this gives them political strength is really helpful.

I guess there is probably reasons that the Mi'kmaq Nation isn't communicating it's formal position on these issues to the public ( which includes many distant descendents,) and it sounds like they may be in the process of getting this sorted out,  but as I continue to research this I am feeling more and more like knowing the Mi'kmaq nations formal position on these distant descendents  would be very helpful..

All these splinter groups which seem mostly geared towards the desires of people of extremely distant ancestry are quite confusing to me...  

I want to support those groups who are legit and I don't want to support those who are not ...

It seems to me that public support is important if governments are going to be held accountable in their actions towards Native people, and a confused public is an apathetic public....
« Last Edit: April 16, 2010, 12:24:31 am by Moma_porcupine »

apukjij

« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2010, 11:32:53 pm »
http://telegraphjournal.canadaeast.com/front/article/1012887

Four parties intend to win damages from Ottawa for N.B. First Nations
Jennifer Pritchett
Telegraph-Journal
Three New Brunswick men are among four parties planning to take legal action against the federal government, seeking $13 billion in damages on behalf of New Brunswick's aboriginals for the "tort of genocide" and loss of native land.

Jackie Vautour and his son Roy, who have long fought to receive Métis constitutional rights, are among the plaintiffs listed on a notice of action made public at a press conference in Ottawa on Friday.

The notice also lists as plaintiffs hereditary chief Stephen J. Augustine, an Elsipogtog band member who lives in the Ottawa area, and the New Brunswick-based East Coast First People Alliance.

The notice, which by late Friday still hadn't been filed with the Court of Queen's Bench in Moncton, was announced at a news conference Friday in Ottawa.

Margot Geduld, spokeswoman for the federal Department of Indian and Northern Affairs, told the Telegraph-Journal on Friday that "the Government of Canada has not received the alleged notice of action" and declined to "comment at this time."

The notice of action states that the plaintiffs are "entitled to damages in the amount of $13 billion for the tort of genocide committed since 1610 and continuing and ongoing to this day."

In law, a tort is defined as a breach of duty.

The plaintiffs' lawyer, Michael Swinwood, said the claim includes the "tort of genocide" dating back to the arrival of Europeans in the 1600s because the plaintiffs contend that the United Nations' definition of genocide applies to the injustices endured by the indigenous peoples of New Brunswick.

"Over the course of over 400 years indigenous people were displaced from their way of life, from their economic base, from all things that they had been accustomed to and placed them into a third-world conditions and this continues today," he said in an interview.

"The relationship is informed by a consciousness of genocide and it's evident everywhere - in the hunting and fishing, in the forestry, in the sharing of the resources."

Swinwood, who is based in Ottawa and works for a nonprofit organization called Elders Without Borders, said the $13 billion is an attempt to quantify the damages dating back several centuries.

He said the plaintiffs believe money would enable the indigenous peoples of New Brunswick to "establish a leg-up economically.

"This is something we would quantify when we went to trial, but the vision here is that it would make for an even playing field in an economic sense," he said.

The notice of action declares that the existence of Métis people in New Brunswick should be recognized.

It also declares that the plaintiffs are entitled to a stay of proceedings for all prosecutions for contraventions of hunting, fishing and forestry regulations until the civil suit is settled.

Augustine said that if the legal action is successful, he hopes the money would be used to improve the quality of life for aboriginals in New Brunswick.

"I think it would end up being a fund that would contribute to developing education, schools, improving social conditions in native and Métis communities, building cultural centres where people can enjoy and exercise their traditions," he told reporters at a news conference in Ottawa.

Jackie Vautour has for decades espoused his Métis heritage. Vautour and his family refused to leave Kouchibouguac National Park in 1960s when it was first created. They've been living there ever since, despite confrontations with authorities over their right to live off the land.

Chief Jesse Simon of Elsipogtog First Nation, New Brunswick's largest aboriginal community, said Friday that, even though the notice of action includes all aboriginal people of New Brunswick and explicitly names the Mi'kmaq people, he hadn't had been consulted or made aware of the intended legal action.

He was surprised to hear about it.

"They obviously didn't consult the chiefs on it because I don't know about it and I'm (chief of) the biggest First Nation in New Brunswick," he said.

Daniel Theriault, a Fredericton-based lawyer who specializes in aboriginal law and treaty rights, said the notice of action is unusual both in its large amount for damages sought and in its reference to the "tort of genocide.

"I've never seen a cause of action framed by the tort of genocide," he said. "I would say it's a first in New Brunswick, if not in Atlantic Canada - as far as I'm aware it's a first."

apukjij

« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2010, 03:18:58 pm »
http://www.scribd.com/doc/32120239/NB-Statement-of-Claim-FINAL-3
(Firefox wouldnt load it, IE 9 loaded it with problems, Flock loaded correctly)
Court File No.: MC027010
                                                 NEW BRUNSWICK
                                            COURT OF QUEEN’S BENCH
                                                       BETWEEN:
                                           KEP’TIN STEPHEN J. AUGUSTINE,
                                                    hereditary Chief Sigenigtog,
                                     EAST COAST FIRST PEOPLES ALLIANCE,
                                       JACKIE VAUTOUR and ROY VAUTOUR
                                                        Plaintiffs
                                                         -and-
                                     HER MAJESTY THE QUEEN ELIZABETH II
                                    and THE ATTORNEY GENERAL OF CANADA
                                                       Defendants
                                                       STATEMENT OF CLAIM
                                           (Notice of Action issued on April 21, 2010)

PARTIES TO THE PROCEEDING

Plaintiffs:

1. Kep’tin Stephen J. Augustine is a hereditary chief of Sigenigtog district (North Shore New Brunswick), a direct descendant of Kep’tin Michael Augustine, a signatory to the Treaty of Peace and Friendship of March 10, 1760 and is a member of the traditional government, Santi Mawio’mi or Mi’kmaq Grand Council.

2. East Coast First Peoples Alliance acts as an official body for the preservation and advancement of the Métis Indigenous peoples of the territory known as New Brunswick and acts in a representative capacity to seek recognition, redress, compensation and reconciliation between the Crown and Indigenous Métis people of the territory.

3. Jackie Vautour and Roy Vautour are Métis people of the territory known as New Brunswick and both are representative of the dispossession, discrimination, and destruction of Métis people by Crown policy since 1710 to the present.

Defendants:

4. Her Majesty the Queen Elizabeth II is the Executive Government and Authority of and over Canada as expressed in Article 9 of theBritish North America Act of 1867 and the Constitution Act of 1982. Queen Elizabeth II has moral, fiduciary and legal responsibilities expressed in various treaties with the Indigenous peoples herein and has legal duties to redress wrongdoings implemented by British colonial policy in the territory known as New Brunswick.

5. The Crown in the Right of Canada, through the Attorney General of Canada has moral, legal and fiduciary duties toward the Indigenous peoples of the territory known as New Brunswick, particularly as it applies to land, resources, self-determination impacting on the cultural, social and economic base of the Indigenous peoples of the territory known as New Brunswick.

6. The representative Plaintiffs intend to file an amendment to this Statement of Claim in order to add the Queen in the Right of New Brunswick as a defendant to advance a claim for a declaration of trust as set out in Section 109 of the Constitution Act 1982 and to seek a moratorium on prosecutions for fishing, hunting and forestry violations.

PLACE OF RESIDENCE OF PLAINTIFFS

7. Plaintiff Kep’tin Stephen J. Augustine’s address is 22 Ballpark St., Elsipogtog,
N.B., E4W 2R9.

8. Plaintiff East Coast First Peoples Alliance’s address is Box 2143 Lameque,
N.B., E8T 3N7.

9. Plaintiff Jackie Vautour and Roy Vautour’s address is 1494 Route 117,
Kouchibougouac, N.B., E4X 2P2.

DEFINITIONS

10. The following terms shall be applicable to this Statement of Claim and so
defined as follows:

(a) Aboriginal peoples of Canada: includes the Indian, Inuit and Métis
peoples of Canada;

(b)Acadie: derives from a Mi’kmaq word a’kati and a’katikewak, meaning
“the people who derived their life from the land”, in French, les Acadiens;

(c)Crown: Queen Elizabeth II and her predecessors and includes the Queen
in the Right of Canada and the Queen in the Right of New Brunswick;

(d)Diaspora: the movement, migration, or scattering of a people away from
an established or ancestral homeland;
(e) Gen ocide: as per Article 2 of the U.N. Convention on the Prevention and
Punishment of the Crime of Genocide, genocide means any of the
following acts committed with intent to destroy, in whole or in part, a
national, ethnical, racial or religious group, as such:

i. Killing members of the group;
ii. Causing serious bodily or mental harm to members of the group;
iii. Deliberately inflicting on the group conditions of life calculated to
bring about its physical destruction in whole or in part;
iv. Imposing measures intended to prevent births within the group;
v. Forcibly transferring children of the group to another group

(f)Métis: aboriginal peoples of Canada in particular those Métis in the
province of New Brunswick;

(g) Mi’kmaq Grand Council or Santi Mawio’mi: means traditional government of seven clans, seven fires of seven territories, Onamakik (Cape Breton), Eskekiak (Canso), Epekuitk ag Piktuk (P.E.I. and Pictou), Sukapenakadik (Shubenacadie), Kespukwitk (southern Nova Scotia), Sigenigtog (North Shore of new Brunswick and Kespekewakik (Gaspe). The Mi’kmaq Nation are one of several aboriginal cultural groups in Atlantic Canada, the others being the Maliseet and Passamaquoddy in New Brunswick;

(h)Sigentigog: our area of land encompasses half of the Acadian peninsula in New Brunswick, all the coast line along Northumberland Strait to Oxford, Nova Scotia and down into the isthmus of Chignecto and inland including all the watersheds to the Grand Lake and the mouth of the Saint John River, including the Kouchibougouac Clair Fontaine area.

MATERIAL FACTS

11. The representative Plaintiffs have a shared history of historic injustices as a result of their colonization and the dispossession of their lands, territories and resources. These historic injustices caused by the imposition of British Colonial law have prevented the representative Plaintiffs from exercising, in particular, their right to develop their political, economic and social structures in accordance with their own needs and interests. As a result, the representative Plaintiffs claim an entitlement to the recognition of
Indigenous laws, traditions and customs in the evaluation of the right to compensation
and reconciliation for the harms caused by the imposition of British Colonial law.

12. The representative Plaintiffs have experienced discrimination by the imposition of British Colonial law, continued then by the federal and provincial Crowns, in adjudicating and developing public policy which is an anathema to the self- determination and inherent integrity of the Mi’kmaq and Métis people as regards to lands, territories and resources in the Province of New Brunswick and elsewhere.

13. The representative Plaintiffs will state their claim through the historical experience of the territory known as Sigenigtog, which includes Kouchibougouac territory (now known as Kouchibougouac National Park), which illustrates the story of the Mi’kmaq Nation in New Brunswick and the Métis peoples of New Brunswick.

14. The representative Plaintiffs claim the right to belong to an Indigenous community or nation, based on the traditions and customs of the community or nation, without discrimination. As a direct result of British colonial rule, inherited by the Crown in the Right of Canada and New Brunswick, Indigenous peoples were deprived of their means of subsistence and development and therefore are entitled to just and fair redress.

15. The representative Plaintiffs claim entitlement to an evaluation of the wrongdoings of the past by an impartial tribunal which gives due recognition to Indigenous laws, traditions, customs and oral traditions, which pertain to the loss of their lands, territories and resources.

16. The consciousness of genocide (United Nations Treaty definition) has permeated the relationship between the Indigenous peoples of New Brunswick and the various forms of the Crown, from the Treaty of Utrecht of 1713 to the present day, which has destroyed
normative values of Indigenous structures, imposing one which was designed to bring
dominion and deprivation of Indigenous societal structures, culture, land and resources.

17. The representative Plaintiffs will rely on historical evidence to outline the dysfunctional relationship between the Indigenous peoples and the colonial newcomers. As a means to ensure successful colonization, the newcomers imposed a system on the Indigenous people designed to destroy traditional Indigenous political, social and cultural structures in order to fulfill an agenda of dominion over land, resources and territories.

18. The representative Mi’kmaq hereditary chief, Kep'tin Stephen J. Augustine, herein expresses solidarity with the representative Métis Plaintiffs and in the tradition of the Mi’kmaq law, offers protection and sharing with his Métis brothers and sisters in the pursuit of this claim. Mi’kmaq tradition includes the understanding that Indigenous people are equal to all other peoples, while recognizing the right of all peoples to be different, to consider themselves different, and to be respected as such.

19. The representative Plaintiffs rely on Peace and Friendship Treaties concluded with the British Crown and the Mi’kmaq Nation such as those entered into in 1725/26, 1749, 1752, 1760, 1761, 1778 and 1788 evidencing the sovereignty of the Mi’kmaq Nation and the continuity of traditional Mawio’mi governance.

20. The representative Plaintiffs can establish the commencement of the Métis nation in the territory known as Canada, as beginning in 1610 in and around the province of New Brunswick. They can demonstrate that the word ‘Acadie’ is derived from the Mi’kmaq word “a’kati” and “a’katikewak”- “the people who derived their life from the land,” thus entitling the Métis of New Brunswick to a declaration of their existence and the
establishment of their Indigenous rights.

21. The diaspora of 1755 involved the British Crown physically displacing upwards of 15,000 thousand Métis from the territory of Acadie part of which is now known as New Brunswick. This event stands as a historical marker for the template of the consciousness of genocide which has faced the Métis people and continues to do so presently as was illustrated with the displacement of Métis people in Kouchibougouac, traditional Mi’kmaq and Métis territory, known also as Kouchibougouac National Park.

22. British Colonial policy and subsequent federal and provincial policy, has clearly discriminated against the Métis people in these major displacements leading to public policy which denies their existence and exposes them to endless prosecutions for hunting, fishing and forestry offences.

23. The representative Plaintiffs rely on the Mi’kmaq Creation Story which stands as a pre-contact (Europeans) Indigenous legal system, informing the representative Plaintiffs in a legitimate traditional form of government equal to the British legal system and of equal weight in the evaluation of recognition, declaration of Indigenous title and the right to compensation and redress for land, territories and resources.

24. The representative Plaintiffs assert that the core treaty of Peace and Friendship was in 1725/26, with the other treaties ratifying or renewing this treaty. These treaties apply to all Mi’kmaq according to Mi’kmaq law. This demonstrates a continuity of relationship which must be evaluated in favour of the representative Plaintiffs as they were never intended to dispossess the Indigenous peoples of their lands, territories, resources, customs, or political and legal structures.

25. The representative Plaintiffs assert that constitutional Indigenous principles can
be proven which need to be evaluated with British/Canadian constitutional principles. As
a result, a constitutional crisis exists between Indigenous peoples and the Crown (in its various forms) which needs to be resolved in order to provide proper compensation, redress and reconciliation in keeping with the Honour of the Crown.

26. The representative Plaintiffs assert the doctrine of the Honour of the Crown and principles of constitutional sui generis fiduciary obligations as examples of the recognition of obligations on the part of the Crown which, if properly fulfilled, would provide the recognition, redress, compensation and reconciliation required for the loss of lands, territories, resources, rights, political structures and culture.

27. The representative Plaintiffs assert that the use of oral traditions and languages assist in affirming and protecting the rights of Indigenous peoples in New Brunswick, derived from Mi’kmaq knowledge, language and legal traditions. It is asserted that this distinct philosophy of justice and legal traditions based on spiritual and ecological understanding can assist in the declared constitutional crisis which exists between Indigenous peoples and the Crown.
28. The representative Plaintiffs assert that the Indian Act of 1876, onward to this day, was the model for the policy of apartheid in South Africa and has had the continued effect of attempting to destroy traditional forms of government which amounts to the imposition of conditions of life designed to bring mental or physical harm to a group, contrary to the United Nations convention on genocide.

29. The representative Plaintiffs state that the imposition of theIndian Act since 1876 is a reflection of the consciousness of genocide which is embodied in the statement in the House of Commons by Sir John A. MacDonald when he said, “The great aim of our legislation has been to do away with the tribal system and assimilate the Indian
people in all respects with the inhabitants of the Dominion as speedily as they are fit for
change.”

30. Crown policy has historically and systematically been designed to subjugate the Indigenous people by usurping the lands and imposing a governance structure foreign to Indigenous culture and legal tradition. The Indigenous peoples of the territory began a relationship of alliance and sharing with the newcomers which was replaced by one of subjugation in the imposition of British colonial policy.

31. Despite much advancement in the articulation of Indigenous peoples’ constitutional rights, the delayed constitutional implementation of those advancements operates to further alienate the constitutional relationship between the Indigenous peoples and the Crown, in its various forms.

32. The representative Plaintiffs of the Mi’kmaq Nation and the representative Plaintiffs of the Métis people of the territory known as New Brunswick seek to act on behalf of their people to bring redress, compensation, and reconciliation for the wrongdoings brought about by the imposition of the British colonial system.

33. The representative Plaintiffs state that the Crown has continued to discriminate systematically against treaty rights of the Mi’kmaq people relying on non-binding negotiations based on policy with its federally funded band and organizations. The Métis people are marginalized to such an extent that the Crown is consistently relying on discriminatory government funded reports to deny their very existence in the territory known as New Brunswick.

Declaration of Indigenous Title

34. The representative Plaintiffs state that the proper holder of rights, whether for Indigenous title or Indigenous rights, is the community of Mi’kmaq people, sharing with the Métis people of the territory known as New Brunswick. Mi’kmaq people are the historic community of people sharing language, customs, traditions, historical experience, legal traditions and resources at the time of first contact with the newcomers.

35. The Indigenous rights of individual Mi’kmaq people and the Métis people within the Mi’kmaq Nation are derived from the collective actions, shared language, legal traditions and shared historical experience of the members of the Mi’kmaq Nation and the Métis of the territory known as New Brunswick.

36. Indigenous title confers a sui generis interest in land, which is a right to the land itself. The representative Plaintiffs state that the interest in the land can compete on an equal footing with other proprietary interests.

37. The representative Plaintiffs state that Indigenous title confers a right to exclusive use, occupation and possession to use the land for the general welfare and present day needs of the Indigenous communities. Indigenous title also includes a proprietary-type right to choose what uses Indigenous title holders can make of Indigenous title lands.

38. The representative Plaintiffs state that Indigenous title brings with it a right to the exclusive use and possession of land, including the natural resources. As a result of crown action and policy, this Indigenous title has been infringed, entitling the Indigenous rights holder to compensation and redress.

39. The Royal Proclamation of 1763, enshrined as article 25 of the Constitution Act
1982, protects Indigenous title as against frauds, abuses and pretences and continues as
the seminal document in an evaluation of the existence of Indigenous title throughout the traditional Mi'kmaq territory of Sigenitog. This traditional territory of the Mi'kmaq Nation was shared with the Métis people before the diaspora of 1755 and after theRoyal
Proclamation of 1763 to the present day.

40. The representative Plaintiffs state that there has never been a proper surrender of Indigenous title in the traditional Mi'kmaq territory of Sigenitog, either through treaty nor other instrument which would disturb the on-going existence of Indigenous title. All of the treaties between the Mi'kmaq Nation and the Crown were treaties of Peace and Friendship and did not operate as a surrender of Indigenous title.

41. The representative Plaintiffs state that the combined effect of theRoyal
Proclamation of 1763, Article 25 and Article 35(1) of the Constitution Act 1982 confirm
that the Indigenous title in the outlined territory is recognized and affirmed.

42. Since the imposition of British Colonial rule, from the Treaty of Utrecht of 1713, in the territory of Acadie and now known as New Brunswick, there have occurred many frauds, abuses and pretences which were designed to dispossess and displace the Indigenous right holders and adversely impact the Indigenous title. The representative Plaintiffs claim on behalf of all Mi'Kmaq and Métis peoples in the territory of New Brunswick a right to a declaration of Indigenous title in the territory known as Sigenitgog.

43. The representative Plaintiffs state that many infringements of Indigenous title have occurred since 1713 to the present day and the parties claim entitlement to compensation for these infringements. The infringements will be more particularly listed and defined at
the trial of this matter.

44. The representative Plaintiffs state that the Crown has never obtained a proper surrender of Indigenous title in the territory known as Sigenitigog thus entitling the Plaintiffs to a declaration of Indigenous title. Moreover, at Confederation, theBritish
North America Act, Article 109 gave lands and resources to New Brunswick, subject to
any trusts existing therein and to any interest other than that of the Province.

45. The representative Plaintiffs, on behalf of all Mi'kmaq and Métis peoples in the territory known as New Brunswick claim entitlement to a declaration of Indigenous title as contemplated by all of the instruments mentioned above. This declaration of Indigenous title would then engage the Honour of the Crown to consult and accommodate the Indigenous title holders on redress, compensation and reconciliation.

46. The representative Plaintiffs claim entitlement to the existing Indigenous right of
Nationhood pursuant to tribal custom and tradition through the prism of s. 35(1) of the
Constitution allowing for redress on the deprivation of land through trespass and damages
for acts of genocide, resulting in the death of the person, the culture, the spirituality and
the eradication of self-government of the people.

47. The numerous outstanding disputes over Indigenous lands and territories reflect the extensive systemic barriers found by Indigenous peoples in the assertion of these rights, including the adversarial role the federal and provincial governments play in the negotiation of treaties and the resolution of land and treaty disputes and the continued failure of federal and provincial authorities to adequately integrate critical international standards for the protection of Indigenous rights into domestic law and policy. The representative Plaintiffs state that there is an obligation on authority to compensate and redress the wrongdoing experienced by them since the newcomers arrival until the
present time and the wrongdoings that continue to be expressed in the trespass on Indigenous land and the continuation of wrongdoing defined as genocide in the imposition of the Indian Act, the stealing of resources through the Ministry of Natural Resources of New Brunswick, and the disconnection of the Indigenous peoples from the use of the land thereby imposing acts of cultural genocide on the Indigenous peoples.

48. The representative Plaintiffs state that they have been deprived of their human rights and fundamental freedoms, resulting,inter alia, in their colonization and disposition of their lands, territories and resources, thus preventing them from exercising, in particular, their right to development in accordance with their own needs and interests. There is an urgent need to respect and promote the inherent rights and characteristics of Indigenous peoples, especially their rights to their lands, territories and resources, which derive from their political, economic and social structures and from their cultures, spiritual traditions, histories and philosophies. This deprivation and dispossession is imposing conditions of life designed to cause mental and physical harm.

49. The representative Plaintiffs state that through trespass and acts of genocide they have been systematically deprived of the right of nationhood that would have included the right to self-government and had it not been for the wrongdoings against them, would have entitled them to a relationship with their land thus preserving their culture, but also would have promoted the resolution of disputes on a nation to nation basis and not left them at the mercy of the imposed British colonial system, with its Judeo-Christian ethic, which writes laws designed to deny the Indigenous peoples of any legal remedy or redress. The representative Plaintiffs claim entitlement to the Indigenous right of nationhood and self-government which would allow for compensation and redress of  these on-going wrongdoings.

50. The representative Plaintiffs state that the present political system in Canada and New Brunswick has been designed since inception to deprive them of any representation in government and this continues today. Accordingly, with a government imposed on them, in a system that allows them no representation, the representative Plaintiffs are governed but not represented. Furthermore, when the representative Plaintiffs turn to the courts for redress they are turned away by legal devices embedded in legislation written to deny them redress for past wrongdoings and on-going harmful practices. The cycle is never broken as all the places of redress are rife with discrimination, racial prejudice and religious intolerance.

51. The Indigenous peoples of Turtle Island throughout the territory of North and South America are the victims of a consciousness of genocide which began in 1493 with swords and spears, graduated to guns and bullets through the 1700’s to 1867 and then developed into the most deadly weapon of mass destruction, the pen and the paper used to write laws from 1857 to the present which deny the representative Plaintiffs the proper elements of nationhood placing them in the unenviable position of wards of the Crown having no forum to address the wrongdoings perpetrated upon them.

52. The representative Plaintiffs state that the Indian reserves were created between
1783 and 1838 in New Brunswick culminating inan Act for the Sale and Management of
Indian Lands in 1841. Impositions of federal legislation after the British North America
Act of 1867 resulted in the imposition of conditions designed to cause mental or physical
harm to members of a group. This is defined as an act of genocide in the United Nations
Convention on the Prevention and Punishment of the Crime of Genocide and in the Crimes Against Humanity and War Crimes Act, S.C. 2000, C 24. as well as the Criminal Code of Canada.
(cont.)

apukjij

« Reply #7 on: October 04, 2010, 03:19:22 pm »
PT.2

53. The representative Plaintiffs state that it was stated government intention to assimilate Indigenous people into the newcomers society and to eradicate the traditional Indigenous ways through education, religion, new economic and political systems, and a new concept of property. All of this was designed to eventually eradicate the Indigenous people and culture and the instrument chosen was theIndian Act. Indigenous people had imposed on them a completely new existence, which amounts to the imposition of mental harm which is an act of genocide. A thorough review of legislative undertaking in this regard will reveal the intention to deprive the Indigenous people of their own culture, spirituality, self-government and ultimately their human dignity.

54. The representative Plaintiffs state that the Indian Act of Canada was the model
for the creation of the apartheid system in South Africa. Accordingly, since 1867 the Indigenous peoples have been condemned to a place called “reserves” and initially not allowed to leave without permission. Although this form of imprisonment was relaxed over time, the placement on specific tracts of land has never stopped and the supervision by agents of the government continues, initially by the Indian agent and today by chief and band council who are agents of the Crown under theIndian Act.

55. The representative Plaintiffs intend to prove that there are 633 examples of the apartheid system throughout the territory known as Canada, all supervised by either direct agents of the Crown or bureaucrats employed by the Crown. This system began in 1857 in Upper Canada and in 1876 in the Maritimes and although restrictive and repressive rules were relaxed over time, the system remains in place today. The representative Plaintiffs state that this is the imposition of circumstances designed to cause mental harm and therefore an act of genocide for which they are entitled to compensation. This act of genocide is on-going, as chief and band council have been and are used as federal agents to destroy traditional Indigenous governments.

56. The representative Plaintiffs further state that the mental harm is on-going as the lack of recognition of traditional self-government, the writing of laws which suppress redress and remedy for Indigenous people and the plethora of judicial decisions against Indigenous peoples’ interests are all contributing to the degradation of the Indigenous people. Political isolation, poverty, highest rates of alcoholism, suicides, physical and social abuse and imprisonment on a per capita basis and destruction of ceremony, ritual and spirituality provides the evidentiary basis for the mental harm suffered by the people, as to past events and which continues unabated today.

57. The representative Plaintiffs state that apartheid is defined in the dictionary as an official policy of racial segregation formerly practiced in the Republic of South Africa involving political, legal and economic discrimination against non-whites or - a policy or practice of separating and segregating groups. The representative Plaintiffs plead that the Indigenous peoples in the territory known as Canada and New Brunswick had this system imposed on them before the Republic of South Africa and plead that they have in the past suffered from political, legal and economic discrimination and continue to suffer from this discrimination not only on the reserves but throughout the territory known as Canada and New Brunswick.

58. The representative Plaintiffs state that the eradication of traditional governments of the Indigenous peoples had been a government policy embarked upon in direct contravention of the Royal Proclamation of 1763, and amounts to a direct abdication of responsibility by Her Majesty the Queen, the Chief Executive Officer of the territory known as Canada. The policy implemented pursuant to theIndian Act contravenes Article 2(b) of the Convention on the Prevention and Punishment of the Crime of
Genocide - “causing serious bodily or mental harm to members of the group” and is
contrary to the Crimes Against Humanity and War Crimes Act, S.C. 2000, C 24.

59. The representative Plaintiffs claim an entitlement to the Indigenous right of nationhood and compensation for the on-going tort of genocide as defined in the above international and domestic instruments. The representative Plaintiffs plead and rely upon the United Nations Declaration on the Rights of Indigenous Peoples, the Royal Commission on Aboriginal People [1996], the International Covenant on Civil and Political Rights and the principle of “jus cogens” defined as “a peremptory norm of general international law [which] is a norm accepted and recognized by the international community of states as a whole as a norm for which no derogation is permitted and which can be modified only by a subsequent norm of general international law having the same character.”

60. The representative Plaintiffs state that the imposition of theIndian Act without their consent has deprived them of their human rights and fundamental freedoms, resulting, inter alia, in their colonization and dispossession of their lands, territories and resources, thus preventing them from exercising, in particular, their right to development in accordance with their own needs and interests. The representative Plaintiffs state that
there is an urgent need to respect and promote the inherent rights and characteristics of Indigenous peoples, especially their rights to their lands, territories and resources, which derive from their political, economic and social structures and from their cultures, spiritual traditions, histories and philosophies.

61. As a consequence of the negligence and/or breach of duty and/or fiduciary duty and/or intentional infliction of harm by Her Majesty the Queen and Her Majesty in the Right of Canada and/or its agents for whom it is in law responsible, the representative Plaintiffs suffered injury and damages including:

(a) loss of nationhood and denial of the existence of sovereignty;

(b) loss of traditional territory and connection to the land;

(c) destruction of ceremony and ritual and loss of spirituality;

(d) imposition of a system of apartheid, initially resembling arbitrary confinement to a place restricting freedom of movement developing into an economic prison for all inhabitants;

(e) loss of traditional self-government and the imposition of an elected system promoting nepotism and division of class and clans and family members;

(f) imposing chief and band councils who act as agents for the federal
government in return for the administration of significant budgets;

(g) imposing chief and band councils who cannot fairly represent the needs of
the people as they are agents of the Queen and the federal government;

(h) depriving the people of proper representation in the court system in Canada and New Brunswick as chief and band councils control the agenda and instruct the lawyers, thereby harming the people;

(i) infliction of mental harm due to the hopelessness engendered by the
apartheid system;

(j)infliction of mental harm due to the denial that any problems exist
because of the imposition of the Indian Act;

(k) an inability to function in a traditional way of life and doomed to operate in an environment dictated by the agents of the Queen and the federal government through a chief and band council;

(l) a theft of identity by making an Indigenous person no more than a ward of
the Crown and inflicting economic penalty as a result;

(m) depriving the representative Plaintiffs of an ability to develop a meaningful relationship with authority through imposed legislation reflecting the consciousness of genocide from early encounter and taking hold in those tasked to administer the imposed legislation resulting in deep psychological harm and the development of racist policies;

(n) depriving the representative Plaintiffs of the ability to settle disputes on land and social relationships by imposing legislation designed to address these issues contrary to the Indigenous way of life;

(o)dividing and conquering the representative Plaintiffs through written laws
and policies forcing family members to separate and break-up to seek opportunity outside of their traditional territory due to the impact of the Indian Act;

(p) setting family members against other family members due to the effects of the imposition of legislation which changed the governance system in the Indigenous communities and destroyed the traditional influence on governance;

(q) the loss of dignity and self-respect of the representative Plaintiffs forced
to accept the newcomers idea of the proper way of life for human beings;

(r) the imposition of a materialistic way of life to the detriment of the
development of the spiritually informed Indigenous culture
Métis existence in New Brunswick

62. The Defendant the Attorney General of Canada has commissioned reports and subsequently relied upon them in court of law which stands for the proposition that Métis people do not exist in the Province of New Brunswick. The official position is not supported by the material facts demonstrating the existence of 18,000 self-identified Métis people (census Canada 2006) and having existed since at least 1610 in the territory known as New Brunswick

63. Between the years 1610 to 1690, almost 80 years of inter-marriage occurred between the Mi'kmaq Nation and the newcomers from France. These inter-marriages over such an extended period of time produced the use of the term “les Acadiens” to identify its people - les Acadiens derives from the term “Acadie”, a French word for the Mi’Kmaq term “a'kati” and “a'katikewak” meaning “the people who derived their livelihood from the land”. This historical fact is the beginning of the existence of the
Métis people in the territory known as Acadie which New Brunswick forms a part..

64. The Métis people established communities among the Mi'kmaq communities and shared in the traditions, customs and ceremony of the Mi'kmaq people. After the Treaty of Utrecht of 1713, the British military exercised influence over the territory and the seeds of the diaspora of the Métis people were generated by these events.

65. By 1755, the British colonial government introduced a policy of dispossession of Acadians, of all land, communities and resources by forcible removal and relocation. This vast displacement of at least 15,000 people greatly contributed to the destruction of the normative value of community and is a major reason the Métis people were disrupted in the continuity of their existence.

66. After this vast displacement of 1755, many Métis people returned to the territory, however their ability to establish permanent communities or to make use of traditional lands had been compromised by the arrival of vast numbers of newcomers overwhelming the Métis people. In addition, the British colonial policy was not conducive to the protection of the Métis people. As evidence by events in Caraquet in 1783.

67. This same dispossession and displacement occurred in the Kouchibouguac territory on November 5th 1976 with the removal and destruction of homes of the representative plaintiffs Jackie and Roy Vautour. This was another example of the consciousness of the diaspora of 1755 and a blatant discrimination of the Métis people in the territory.

68. In addition to this type of discrimination, Métis people are also precluded from inherent rights of hunting, fishing and forestry activity by virtue of official government policy that no Métis exist in the Province of New Brunswick. Not only are they denied the recognition and affirmation of inherent Indigenous rights guaranteed by Section 35(1), the Defendants deny their very existence.

69. The representative Plaintiffs claim entitlement to redress, compensation and reconciliation for the past wrongdoings of the Crown as against Métis people in the territory known as New Brunswick and entitlement to a declaration that Métis people exist in the territory.

70. The representative Plaintiffs state that constant prosecution for violations of fishing, hunting and forestry activity as against Métis people is an on-going act of genocide for which they are entitled to compensable damages. The representative Plaintiffs intend to seek a moratorium on these prosecutions as against Mi'kmaq and Métis people within the parameters of this litigation.

71. The representative Plaintiffs claim entitlement to damages for the diaspora of 1755 and the subsequent displacement and dispossession of Métis people from their communities in the Kouchibouguac territory in 1976.

72. The representative Plaintiffs state that the Province of New Brunswick had no authority to expropriate the Kouchibouguac territory then transfer it to the federal government, who subsequently made it a national park, as this territory was subject to a trust, pursuant to Section 109 of the Constitution Act of 1982 and was and still is Indigenous title subject to the provisions of theRoyal Proclamation of 1763.

73. The representative Plaintiffs claim entitlement to compensation, redress and reconciliation for all the wrongdoings of the Defendants as against all the Métis people in the territory known as New Brunswick.

Constitutionality of Section 91 (24) of the B.N.A. Act

74.The representative Plaintiffs plead that Section 91(24) is ultra vires the British
House of Commons. Accordingly, there is no authority to pass theIndian Act of Canada and it should also be declared ultra vires the federal government. Queen Elizabeth II should have exercised her constitutional duty in Section 56 of theBritish North America
Act 1867 and disallowed the first Indian Act passed pursuant to Section 91(24) and
acknowledged her responsibilities under the Royal Proclamation of 1763.

Jus Cogens

75. The representative Plaintiffs plead that any inquiry into the principles of fundamental justice is informed not only by Canadian experience and jurisprudence, but also by international law, including “jus cogens.” This takes into account Canada’s international obligations and values as expressed in the various sources of international human rights law - declarations, covenants, conventions, judicial and quasi-judicial decisions of international tribunals and customary norms. The representative Plaintiffs and state that “jus cogens” is defined as a norm accepted and recognized by the international community of states as a whole as a norm for which no derogation is permitted and which can be modified only by a subsequent norm of general international law having the same character. There is compelling evidence to indicate that genocide is a peremptory norm, such as:

(a) Nuremberg trials - for Holocaust in Germany;

(b) Convention on Genocide - United Nations;

(c) U.N. declaration on Indigenous Peoples;

(d) Crimes Against Humanity and War Crimes Act, S.C. 2000 c.24; and,

(e) Criminal Code of Canada, Section 317.

Funding

76. The representative Plaintiffs claim entitlement to have funding provided for the
purpose of pursuing legal redress in this matter.

Reconciliation

77. The representative Plaintiffs plead that they are desirous of developing a mechanism through which healing and reconciliation could be developed between the parties and would explore any discussions and negotiations which would promote healing and reconciliation on a long term basis and provide for fair and reasonable compensation for wrongdoings of the Defendants.

78. In January of 1998, the Crown issued a Statement of Reconciliation acknowledging and apologizing for the failures of the Residential School system. Moreover, the Crown admitted that the Residential School system was wrongly and inappropriately designed to assimilate Indigenous persons. The representative Plaintiffs plead that the Statement of Reconciliation by the Crown is an admission of the Crown of the facts and duties set out in the above paragraphs and is relevant to the representative Plaintiffs’ claim for damages, particularly punitive damages. The Statement of Reconciliation stated in part, as follows: 

Sadly, our history with respect to the treatment of Aboriginal people is not                                                  something to which we can take pride. Attitudes of racial and cultural superiority led to a suppression of Aboriginal culture and values. As a country we are burdened by past actions that resulted in weakening the identity of Aboriginal peoples, suppressing their languages and cultures, and outlawing spiritual practices. We must recognize the impact of these actions on the once self-sustaining nations that were desegregated, disrupted, limited or even destroyed by the dispossession of traditional territory, by the relocation of Aboriginal people, and by some provisions of the Indian Act. We must acknowledge that the results of these actions was the erosion of the political, economic and social systems of Aboriginal people and nations.

Against the backdrop of these historical legacies, it is a remarkable tribute to the strength and endurance of Aboriginal people that they have maintained their historic diversity and identity. The Government of Canada today formally expresses to all Aboriginal people in Canada our profound regret for past actions of the Federal Government which have contributed to these difficult pages in the history of our relationship together.

One aspect of our relationship with Aboriginal people over this period that requires particular attention is the Residential School System. This system separated many children from their families and communities and prevented them from speaking their own languages and from learning about their heritage and cultures. In the worst cases, it left legacies of personal pain and distress that continued to reverberate in Aboriginal communities to this date. Tragically, some children were the victims of physical and sexual abuse.

The Government of Canada acknowledges the role it played in the development and administration of these schools. Particularly to those individuals who experienced the tragedy of sexual and physical abuse at Residential Schools, and who have carried this burden believing that in some way they must be responsible, we wish to emphasize that what you experienced is not your fault and should never have happened. To those of you who suffered this tragedy at Residential Schools, we are deeply sorry. In dealing with the legacies of the Residential School program, the Government of Canada proposes to work with First Nations, Inuit, Metis people, the Churches and other interested parties to resolve the longstanding issues that must be addressed. We need to work together on a healing strategy to assist individuals and communities in dealing with the consequences of the sad era of our history…

Reconciliation is an ongoing process. In renewing out partnership, we must ensure that the mistakes which marked our past relationship are not repeated. The Government o Canada recognized that policies that sought to assimilate Aboriginal people, women and men, were not the way to build a strong community…”

PLAINTIFFS’ CLAIM

79. The representative Plaintiffs seek the following relief:

(a) DECLARATION of Indigenous title in the Province of New Brunswick in
favour of the Mi’kmaq and Métis people;

(b) DECLARATION that the Plaintiffs, on behalf of the Mi’Kmaq and Métis peoples are entitled to compensation for lands and dispossession of lands required for settlement purposes pursuant to theRoyal Proclamation of 1763;

(c) DECLARATION that the Plaintiffs, in their representative capacity, are entitled to damages in the amount of 13 Billion Dollars for the tort of genocide committed since 1610 and continuing and on-going to this day, against Her Majesty the Queen Elizabeth II and the Federal government;

(d) DECLARATION that Métis people exist in the Province of New
Brunswick;

(e) DECLARATION that the Federal and Provincial governments have no jurisdiction in unceded, unsurrendered Indigenous territory in the Province of New Brunswick over Mi’kmaq or Métis people in the Province of New Brunswick;

(f) DECLARATION that the Plaintiffs in their representative capacities are entitled to a stay of proceedings for all prosecutions for hunting, fishing and forestry contraventions, be they Federal or Provincial, in the Province of New Brunswick until the determination of jurisdictional issues between the Crown and Mi’kmaq and Métis peoples in the
Province of New Brunswick;

(g) An AMENDMENT to these proceedings to permit an action against the Province of New Brunswick; after the expiry of the notice provision of Section 15 of the Proceedings Against the Crown Act, to add the Attorney General of New Brunswick seeking a DECLARATION of trust pursuant to Section 109 of the Constitution Act 1982, U.K. C. 11, on “all lands mines, minerals and resources” in favour of the Mi’kmaq and Métis people of the Province of New Brunswick;

(h) A REPRESENTATION ORDER pursuant to Rule 11 of theRules of
Court appointing the named Plaintiffs as representatives of all unborn
persons, unascertained persons, or persons who cannot readily be ascertained, found or served, who have a present, future, contingent or unascertained interest in, or may be affected by, the proceeding.

(i) An ORDER for interim funding based on the principles ofOkanagan premised on a s. 35 right of the Constitution Act, 1982 to self-assertion that cannot be compromised by an act of genocide;

(j) Costs for the action on a solicitor-and-client basis; and

(k) Such further and other relief as counsel may advise and this Honourable

Court permit.

STATUTES

80. The representative Plaintiffs plead and rely upon the following:

(a) An Act for the Sale and Management of Indian Lands in New Brunswick
(b) British North America Act 1867

(c) Crown Liability and Proceedings Act, R.S.C. 1985, c. C-50

(d) Canadian Charter of Rights and Freedoms

(e) Constitution Act, 1982

(f) Crimes Against Humanity and War Crimes Act, S.C. 2000, c. 24

(g) International Treaties

(h) Peace and Friendship Treaties

(i) Proceedings Against the Crown Act, R.S.N.B. 1973, c. P-18

(j) Royal Proclamation of 1763

(k) State Immunity Act

(l) The Canadian Bill of Rights, R.S.C. 1985, App. III, Preamble

(m) The Indian Act, R.S.C. 1985

81. The representative Plaintiffs plead and rely upon the following United Nations
documents:

(a)Convention on the Prevention and Punishment of the Crime of Genocide,
Approved and proposed for signature and ratification or accession by
General Assembly resolution 260 A (III) of 9 December 1948entry into
force 12 January 1951, in accordance with Article XIII;

(b)Convention on the Rights of the Child, Adopted and opened for signature,
ratification and accession by General Assembly resolution 44/25 of 20
November 1989 entry into force 2 September 1990, in accordance with
Article 49;

(c)International Covenant on Civil and Political Rights, Adopted and opened for signature, ratification and accession by General Assembly resolution 2200A (XXI) of 16 December 1966, entry into force 23 March 1976, in accordance with Article 49; and

(d) United Nations Declaration on the Rights of Indigenous Peoples, Approved on 13 September 2007, after 143 Member States voted in favour, 11 abstained and four – Australia, Canada, New Zealand and the United States – voted against the text. Australia and New Zealand have since changed their vote in favour of the Declaration leaving
Canada and the United States voting against.

DATED at Ottawa, Ontario, this 19th day of May, 2010

________________________________________
                                                                                                                Michael Swinwood
                                                                                                         Lawyer for the plaintiffs

ELDERS WITHOUT BORDERS
237 Argyle Avenue
Ottawa, Ontario
K2P 1B8
T: 613-563-7474
F: 613-563-9179

http://www.scribd.com/doc/32120239/NB-Statement-of-Claim-FINAL-3