Author Topic: Unenrolled Indians, Indian Descendants, and people of American Indian Heritage  (Read 27264 times)

Offline BlackWolf

For the purpose of this thread I would like to narrow this thread down to people who are American Indian or claim American Indian heritage but “CAN PROVE IT” but for whatever reason can't enroll.  This could cover anything from people descended from other Tribal Rolls of their Tribe but for one reason or the other can’t enroll.  This could also include people with other various kinds of solid evidence that they are American Indian or of American Indian Heritage.  It could be someone who has family members that are known to be Indian, and it can also pertain to people adopted and because of that can’t enroll.  People who claim American Indian heritage and CAN’T PROVE IT, and people of Native heritage from Latin America I’m not including here because of their very different history with the Spanish Conquest.  People of Canada could be included because of our somewhat shared History with the Anglo Saxon/French Conquest.  So we’re just talking about American Indians or people of American Indian heritage “who beyond a reasonable doubt are of American Indian heritage” but aren't enrolled.  This subject was started in the thread on Native American Musicians, but I don’t want to get off topic over there.  What is everyone’s opinion on how these people should identity and under what circumstances?

Offline Rattlebone

Rattlebone
I too do not believe in the concept of "being part Indian." You either are Indian or you are not, and to me that is usually determined by the community around you.

Well apparently you don't feel secure enough in your own identity to be able to allow others to have a discussion about unenrolled people who have some Native heritage being in a different situation, when it comes to their rights and responsibilites, than people who are enrolled in a federally recognized community or are close to 1/2 of Native descent.... . It seems almost every time people try to discuss what may be appropriate boundaries for distant descensents to respect, you feel it is a threat to your own identity, and you get personally defensive or offensive.

Rattlebone
No, I have defended people with legitimate claims. It's my understanding that the word PODIA is just a simple way to say somebody has a great grandma story they can't prove.

So , when there is a conflict , it sounds like you feel anyone with any amount of Native blood who is a member of what they decide is a Native community, has rights that are just as important to defend as   continuosly existing indigenous Nations rights to control maintain and benifit from their own resources and culture?

It's my understanding that the word PODIA is just a simple way to say somebody has a great grandma story they can't prove.

According to my rule book ( heh   8)) thats a wannabe .. My definition of a PODIA is people who are less than 1/4 - 1/8 BQ OR more than 2 generations removed from an ancestor who lived in a visible recognized Native community.

But Rattlebone ...a lot of what you are wanting to dispute  doesn't even seem to belong in this thread.  I guess we have all wandered a bit...

I still think it would be interesting if we could start a thread to discuss what is the characteristics of  a Native community that has the right to  recognize other people as NDN , and what is just some wannabes or PODIAs getting together and yelling " yes we are !!!"....

Well apparently you don't feel secure enough in your own identity to be able to allow others to have a discussion about unenrolled people who have some Native heritage being in a different situation

Actually I do. I did question another person on here if they were not putting people with similar histories in their situation.

I just feel that a lot of times certain ideas or beliefs about people get too one sided, and I don't feel that is right.

If there is not a voice to reason such things, then people can often times be put under labels that are ones of injustice to them. History has shown this to be true in much worse ways.

Why should I or somebody else not speak out, because if not, then those bullets we ignore may some day be directed as us.

when it comes to their rights and responsibilities,

I dunno about that. I have never really said I was against any of the laws that apply to Arts & Crafts, or possession of feathers etc.

I have however questioned them at times considering there have been cases I posted up here in which a man who was nearly full blooded and from a unrecognized California tribe was barred from possession of eagle feathers even though the courts recognized he was racially American Indian, and by their own words "for other purposes."

Now what I can say for an argument is a few things I have seen yourself and Educated Indian bring up.

You have spoke about how some people may actually hold their Indian ancestry as something important to them, and it having an impact on their lives. I do not remember your exact words, but it could most likely be used as a good example in defense of families similar to what Educated Indian was talking about once when I read him speak about running into some unrecognized people in the midwest whom he said even had a sort of "rez accent."

Most likely these people, their families, and the individuals from them would be raised with an Indian identity, and whatever culture and world view that may be passed down because of that.

Now it seems you think as long as they remain "unrecognized" that if they were to write books, or assert who they are, that until they are recognized the should say they are "of descent" or something like that.

Then if they were recognized by the Fox who protects the hen house (the USG of course) then for legality reasons they can now say they are "Indian."

The rights to speak as who they are, and assert who they are as long as their claims are legitimate should not be taken away legal technicalities.

Right now there is an entire band of Chippewa who have been unrecognized, and once again denied recognition. Should they be barred from saying they are American Indian because of this?

Maybe the argument should be made that they should because many of them look nothing but white????

than people who are enrolled in a federally recognized community or are close to 1/2 of Native descent.

Considering that many tribes now days, including one in my area goes by descent instead of BQ, I don't understand why you keep focusing your argument on people who are 1/2 or more.

I do believe that around 1/3 of the overall enrolled Native population of the United States is at the 1/4 mark or less. This is with the native population marrying to NON Natives at a rate of 70% or higher. So doing the math and figuring the stats, BQ is a lose lose situation.

The place where you and I seem to die on communication is this point. I try to focus on "the people" which means the survival of NDN people regardless tribe and BQ, and care little for the notion of throwing BQ in the mix.

As far as benefits and what not go....I believe those 1/4 and higher should be the only ones getting them at this time since they are more likely to experience discrimination, hardship and poverty. That is the only time when I believe in the concept of BQ.

As far as cultural and religious boundaries go...I believe that should be up to the elders. I am skeptical about it being left up to tribal governments since they don't always make decisions that are in support of their traditional.

It seems almost every time people try to discuss what may be appropriate boundaries for distant descensents to respect, you feel it is a threat to your own identity, and you get personally defensive or offensive.

I don't see where that is coming from. I have above gave my opinion on laws such as the arts and craft laws etc. I am not really against those. Nor am I against those who are not enrolled being barred from receiving benefits because of claiming a native ancestry.

As far as boundaries concerning ceremony, I think who is allowed in those and who is not is up to the elders and or the person running those ceremonies as long as that person or persons is not an exploiter.

I have seen a well known elder in my area allow a NON into a ceremony, and he was in no way any kind of exploiter. He knew some people he trusted and he knew would come and leave in respectful and good way, and so he allowed them to come.

I feel I have been very fair and balanced on this subject and have never been for ignoring boundaries.

So , when there is a conflict , it sounds like you feel anyone with any amount of Native blood who is a member of what they decide is a Native community, has rights that are just as important to defend as   continuosly existing indigenous Nations rights to control maintain and benifit from their own resources and culture?

No, by native community I mean recognized peoples and the members who come from them,or people in cases such as in California where you have entire tribes and bands with no formal recognition.

You make it seem here like I am saying a person with some "claimed" Indian ancestry can get together with a few more, and then decide "they have a community." I was saying no such thing.

You also keep adding the "Resources" hook into the equation and I was not even touching on that whatsoever. Individuals do not have the right to that anyhow enrolled or not. Things such as resources are taken care of by the tribal government, which should be by the will of the enrolled members. In California there are however problems with that due to unrecognized bands.

Offline BlackWolf

It seems like a big part of the controversy involves wording and semantics.  It would be like if someone lived in an urban area with little connection with his/her people and isn't enrolled, but nevertheless, can prove that they are of American Indian Heritage, how should they present themselves whether it be a dinner party, work or school?  Let’s also assume the person had very little exposure growing up to their Tribal Background, but nevertheless later in life became more interested in it.   Let's say for example someone is 1/16 of Tribe X and knows this for sure because their grandma was enrolled with Tribe X.  I'll use the term Indian ,but it could mean any particular Tribe.  Leaving aside the issue of benefits, eagle feathers, health care, etc, what would be the proper way for this person to describe themselves. 

"I'm Indian", " I'm of Indian descent", “I'm of American Indian Heritage", "I'm 1/16 American Indian Heritage", or should they not say a word about it because it's only a small part of what they are, as in Moma_Porcupine's smoothie analogy?  I guess the other question is, "Is it this person's right to determine this"? or would enrolled people of Tribe X have a say so?

Offline Moma_porcupine

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
This conversation began here

http://www.newagefraud.org/smf/index.php?topic=261.0

Quoting myself from the last thread
BQ generally says something about the culture that was carried by our parents, garandparents or greatgrandparents, but it doesn't show which community these people lived in or what culture their children were mainly exposed to. Which is why I try and talk about BQ along with how many generations it's been since someones family lived in a native community.

I would add to this that the other reason i use BQ is because it's the only way I know to express the reality that as people become more and more of non native descent, and they are exposed more and more to only non native culture, this tends to have more and more influence on who they are and the Native part of their heritage has less and less influence.

Unless we are talking about a political identity, as in having membership in a Nation like America, or the CNO , the idea that people are either NDN or they aren't seems unrealistic,  because it seems obvious that when it comes to individuals there is a full spectrum of Native descent and influence.

So based on this , I would say it seems realistic when a person who is unenrolled but 1/2 or more of Native descent, claims an NDN identity, as this is reasonably close to  being the largest part of their ancestry.

If a person is unenrolled and they are between 1/2 and 1/8, I would say this person is being realistic and is on solid ground when they identify themeselves as mixed blood. Their NDN relatives and community may call them NDN , but from what i have seen , if they do, some people in their community may get annoyed with them. So from what I have seen , the mixed blood people i know usually let others make the claim they are NDN and don't do this themselves. People who  exhalt themselves set themselves up to be knocked down.  

People who are less than 1/8, OR more than 2 generations removed from an ancestor who was formally recognized as a member of a recognized Native community, seem like they would be kind of exaggerating things if they even claim to be mixed blood. I mean, by the same logic would anyone see an enrolled NDN as having a substantial identity as a mixed blood if they had a gr gr grandfather who was European ?

So i think after the parental contribution of Native influence gets watered down to 1/8, or a couple generations outside a historically recognized ,culturally strong Native community, the descendents are most realistically described as PODIAs or people of distant Indian ancestry.

PODIAs is just an abreviation, and i'm not suggesting anyone needs to call themself a PODIA. It sounds like something that got dropped out of a UFO.

I'm also not against PODIAs who feel a connection with this part of their heritage, and my own position on this was described in detail in the thread below.

http://www.newagefraud.org/smf/index.php?topic=1111.0

It seems realistic for PODIAs to occaisionaly refer to themselves as having a bit of Native blood back there. Or way way back there...  As the case may be.

When people try to claim an NDN identity that overstates their actual hetitage, is sort of seems like an older woman trying to use a lot of makeup and low cut blouses, to seem younger, when she could be aging with grace and dignity.

In the other thread I mentioned that in my own defintions and how i use these words, a PODIA is a person who does have some Native descent, and a person who can't prove this is a wannabe not a PODIA, however, this isn't necessarily true as by the same logic that points out some people with substantial Native blood haven't got the right paper work to get enrolled , some people actually have a bit of Native blood, but can't prove it on paper.

This is one of the reasons it is so impractical to imagine PODIAs should have the right to a full NDN identity, but that wannbes who can't prove it deserve nothing but ridicule.  It is possible to be both a PODIA and a wannabe who can't prove it, at the same time.

Once people track back to gr gr gr grandparents, the records are often spotty enough that the structure of family trees is often based in a lot of guess work and assupmtions.  

For example, if someone has a marriage record showing their gr gr gr grandfather married a Native woman named Mary, but no detailed birth or death records exist for her kids, without Mary's death record, showing she survived long enough to have been the mother of all of these children , it's impossible to be sure that it wasn't a second marriage to someone else, that produced some of the children.

Once people go past the time censuses began listing all family members by name and age, mistaken assumptions about who someones mother is are very common and can go on for generations until someone stumbles on a previously undiscovered death record or the record of a seconfd marriage, and people realize 1/2 the kids in a family had a different mother.

People frequently make an issue about NDN people who were wrongly recorded as White or Mullato, but I recall hearing a tribal genealogist expalin that these cases of misidentification go both ways and house guests, adopted children, or non native relatives were also often frequently wrongly recorded as being Indian when other records prove they were not.

Once people get back past gr grandparents, or into the time period that happened prior to the mid to late 1800's, mistakes , guesswork and complete unknowns in genealogies are really common. There is also problems with unrecorded marriages, adoptions, illigitimacy, infidelity, ect ect ect .

This only becomes a serious problem if people want to define their whole identity on the basis of one gr gr gr grandmother who was recorded as Native.

People who are more than 1/8 or who have ancestors living in a time and area where there is lots of surviving records, are on much more solid ground when they claim an NDN identity , as they will usually be able to track back several generations past the most recent ancestor recorded as Indian, and will be able to find many records about many ancestors and their relatives showing Native heritage. Even if one of these lines is a mistake, it isn't likely they all will be.

But someone is basing their entire identity on one record of one distant Native ancestor, they are putting themselves in a very unstable and tenuous position.  

In the big picture, it seems very important that indigenous peoples retain and regain the right to control, protect , and benifit from their own resources.

Their ability to do this hinges on actual indigenous communities being recognized and supported as the rightful owners of these resources.....

In the vast majority of cases wannabes and PODIAs who claim these rights for themselve, or who encourage others to make these claims, confuse public perception of the issues and undermine public support of the rights of actual indigenous communities, which are struggling to survive with insucfient resources.

So for both political, cultural and personal reasosns, it seems to me it is best to stay on solid ground and off the thin ice, when it comes to any claim of NDN identity.  

This is just my own opinion based on my own personal experience and various people of NDN , mixed blood or PODIA ancestry I have known. Ultimently it is up to Native communities to define this, but for me, my own way of seeing this seems to make sense, and I have given it a lot of thought over the years.

========================

Rattlebone
You also keep adding the "Resources" hook into the equation and I was not even touching on that whatsoever.

Rattlebone, you just made 9 posts in the thread linked to at the begining of this post , which was discussing people who may not be NDN by some definitions marketing their products as American Indian productions.

8 of your posts appeared to be defending the right of people of distant ancestry to do this, or personally attacking people who pointed out to you where you were saying this. Now you tell us your defense of PODIAs claiming an NDN identity isn't about resources... This is so unrealistic and contradictory , that at least for the moment, I can't be bothered arguing with you and your endless forgetful hairsplitting. It's exhasting and goes nowhere.

If people want to read what was actually said and not the discussion that is going on in your own head, they can read the thread.

====

edited to add;

I hope some other people will contribute thier own opinions to this thread besides me and rattlebone. I feel like I have blabbed on more than my fair share on this topic over the years and I don't mean to drown out anyone elses voice...
« Last Edit: February 18, 2010, 07:13:26 pm by Moma_porcupine »

Offline BlackWolf

Moma_porcupine said
For example, if someone has a marriage record showing their gr gr gr grandfather married a Native woman named Mary, but no detailed birth or death records exist for her kids, without Mary's death record, showing she survived long enough to have been the mother of all of these children , it's impossible to be sure that it wasn't a second marriage to someone else, that produced some of the children.

Once people go past the time censuses began listing all family members by name and age, mistaken assumptions about who someones mother is are very common and can go on for generations until someone stumbles on a previously undiscovered death record or the record of a seconfd marriage, and people realize 1/2 the kids in a family had a different mother.

This is exactly right.  Probably the most common mistakes that I know of involves either this analogy, or mistaken an ancestor with someone with the exact same name as someone on Tribal Roll.  Often times, all other evidence that proves that this is not the same person is ignored.  Most of these cases are just Wishful Thinking.

Offline earthw7

• Standing Rock Tourism
I have many issues when it comes to this subject.

One I am an enrolled member who lives on the reservation.
I am 7/8 with 1/8 oglala blood. My first husband was enrolled
on another tribe as my present husband who is enrolled.
I have my grandson's who are not enrolled, My son, their Father
is enrolled with half of my blood but not his Father's blood because
he is from a different tribe.
If the blood was allowed they would be enrolled.

Now for the issues,
my grandson's mom is white, my grandson are raised in
the white world, my son has died. They know nothing of our world.
To me my own beautiful grandsons are Not native why because they
are not enrolled, The mother has refused to allows to enroll them,
they are not raised cultually native and they do not look
native. They are my blood but not a tribal member.
One day maybe if they decide to learn our ways they can be accepted and
enrolled.
They recieve no land from me or inherit anything from the family.
Is this harsh yes!
My granddaughter is born on the rez, enrolled member of the tribe, raised in the
culture, looks native will inherit and always be a member of the tribe.

Oh My!!! says all the people who are descendants

I do not see people who are 1/8 as native people sorry.

I know you will get into an uproar!

In my part of the country we are not

I do believe that around 1/3 of the overall enrolled Native population of the United States is at the 1/4 mark or less. This is with the native population marrying to NON Natives at a rate of 70% or higher. So doing the math and figuring the stats, BQ is a lose lose situation.

One must come to my part of the country because we still have a great deal of people who are full-blood and our BQ for enrollment is 1/4th. You will notice right off that blond hair and blue eyes is rarity here.
They kind of stand out in the crowd because we are native.

In Spirit

Offline Defend the Sacred

• Global Moderator
LaDonna, I am sorry about your son and grandsons. Thank you for posting this. For too many people on the net, all of this is theoretical. I really appreciate it when you, and those with the same sort of background as you, post about the realities here. Moran Taing (Many Thanks)

Offline BlackWolf

Moma_Porcupine said

I hope some other people will contribute thier own opinions to this thread besides me and rattlebone. I feel like I have blabbed on more than my fair share on this topic over the years and I don't mean to drown out anyone elses voice...

Thanks for you input Moma_porcupine.  I read the link you have on Podias, and it was really informative. 

And I think when you talk about the racial issue as opposed to the political issues your right on target and correct Moma_Porcupine.  Is someone who is 1/64 Cherokee racially Cherokee/Indian.  Of course not.  It only means that this person is the direct descendent “by blood” of a Cherokee somewhere in their family line.  It would be like a white southerner saying he was racially black because of a ggggg black grandma.  The BQ issue isn’t about numbers and fractions to the Cherokees.  Its just saying you are descended from Cherokee blood somewhere in your family line from our people.  And this is what the citizenship policy is based on.  I think a lot of Cherokee Claimants in the SE have some sort of personal fantasy of what this all means.  Most of this fantasy belief is just based on popular culture and a lot of nonsense.

In Oklahoma you do have white looking Cherokees that are part of ceremonial life and know the traditions, etc, and some that even speak the language, but at the same time you have a lot of enrolled Cherokees that don’t know much about Traditional Cherokee ways, and in reality could probably care less about them.  There are light skin Cherokees that do know traditional ways, but that is because they were ACTUALLY BORN AND RAISED in a Cherokee community, and sometimes surrounded by a full blood/ traditional community in NE Oklahoma.  In other words, there are Cherokees with low BQs that really do know about Traditional ways, but the light skin Cherokees that don’t’ know about these ways, don’t pretend like they do.  If that makes any sense to anyone? 

But regardless, all enrolled Cherokees are citizens and are Cherokee by blood.  They are Cherokee in the political sense, but some are not so much in the cultural sense and not really in the racial sense either for those with low BQS. 

So then you must ask yourself where that would leave someone who may have some Cherokee blood but at the same time, they aren’t enrolled, nor recognized by their community, and  it has been more then 150 or 200 years since their ancestor was part of any real, living, breathing Cherokee community.  I wouldn’t argue with them that they were “Cherokee by blood” if they could prove it.  But if they are so proud of this Cherokee heritage and it means so much to them, then, I would wonder why they never at least visited a Cherokee community or traveled there to learn about the culture and heritage that they claim to care so much about?

The Cherokee Nation is just a great Nation where everyone has a common ancestry.  No more, and no less.  I think the problem is that to many people read to much into what this actually means.  For me its pretty straight forward.  Your “Cherokee by blood” descended from a Cherokee by blood on the Dawes Roll.  If your not, your not a citizen. 

When I hear claimants with fairly tale beliefs of what that small amount of Cherokee blood makes them, it just makes me laugh.  I then realize that these people have probably little to no real contact with real Cherokees whether they be mixed blood or full bloods.  Now for those that actually do have a Cherokee BQ but aren’t’ enrolled, I would suggest to them that if they want to honor this, then they should go and visit a real, living, breathing Cherokee community first of all.  And also, as I pointed out in other post, just because one Tribe recognizes people of lineal descent as a member of their Tribe regardless of BQ, this isn’t necessarily the case for a lot of Tribes out West who weren’t on the Eastern Seaboard in the main Cross hairs of European Colonization.  Some of those tribes may have been a bit more isolated and may not have had to deal with issues that tribes like the Pequots had to, and in that regards were able to better maintain their racial identity to a higher degree. I’m not saying that they didn’t experience colonization and hardship any less, just that it was a bit different in the East. ( Especially for Tribes whose territorial boundaries were part of what would later become the first 13 colonies of the United States. 

So in that sense, I think the key is that if someone is claiming Cherokee or Creek, or Mohawk, or Apache, or Seminole, etc, then they should concentrate on these communities ( Cherokee, Creek, Mohawk, Apache, Seminole, etc.  As I said before, if I was for example, 1/8 French but not a citizen of France, what would be the point of me trying to convince a Greek that I’m European?  Greeks and French have about as much in common as Creeks and Navajos.  If I really wanted to honor my French heritage, I would want to learn about French culture and traditions, and not give myself a Pan European Identity.  Especially when I’ve never even been to France to begin with???

Offline Paul123

There in lies the problem with acceptance.
No one seems to be able to separate the Political from the Racial from the Cultural.
No matter what side you stand on, someone may be discussing something of a political (citizenship) nature and to defend their position they will start bringing in elements from one or both of the other sides of this issue.

Offline BlackWolf

Posted by: Paul123 

There in lies the problem with acceptance.
No one seems to be able to separate the Political from the Racial from the Cultural.
No matter what side you stand on, someone may be discussing something of a political (citizenship) nature and to defend their position they will start bringing in elements from one or both of the other sides of this issue.

Your right Paul.  And I think what I wrote in regards to all of these issue just really shows how unrealistic some people of Cherokee heritage that aren’t enrolled are about a lot of things.  When I hear some unenrolled Cherokees talk about what their Cherokee heritage means to them, I realize that some o f these people, in their attempts to try to honor their heritage, are really just being more offensive than anything else. 

My stance is sort of like this.  If you weren’t born and raised in a Traditional Cherokee community in either Oklahoma or North Carolina, then you really shouldn’t try to do a poor imitation of what you believe is based on a Traditional Cherokee belief system.  You’re just making a mockery of things.   This scenario can apply to any tribe.  Now, there are a lot of other things that you can do to honor this heritage (or alleged heritage), but we have to be careful about how we go about this.

When you try too hard to be part of something that wasn’t really part of your identity in the Real World, you’re just in a lose lose situation. When someone discovers or decides later in life to embrace this long lost identity, they have to be careful about how they portray themselves to people who were raised in these ways, or had family raised in these ways.   When people try to portray themselves as something that is not part of who they are, We can see right through the bull crap, so my advice to people who want to explore their heritage and aren’t’ enrolled, would be for them to be realistic about what it is they really want to accomplish or are trying to do.  Identity is important and a part of this.  In regards to Cherokee/Native American Spirituality, my best advice to people that seek this out, not raised in an actual community, would be to just forget about it.  This may sound harsh to some, but that’s how I see it. The time, effort, and emotional toll that this takes, is a lot more then a  “part time Indian”  not living in a REAL, LIVING, BREATHING COMMUNITY is able to handle.   It would be like all of a sudden trying to become a professional baseball player when your 40 years old, and you’ve never actually played baseball before in your life.  The only thing that you will accomplish is making a fool of yourself in front of the pros and they will probably see you as just mocking what they do. 

apukjij

this is a good topic. for me, L'nu means any indigenous people of the world, now to get status in Mi'kmaw country, depending on the first nation's membership code, you can be as little as 1/4, which i guess for us is honouring the Grandparents, that is under stipulations, for 1/4 to get status, it has to be thru the fathers line, if the father has status and marries a full status native, if the father is full status and if the mother is non-status, the full status father has to be listed as the father on the childs birth certificate for the child to get status. until 1985 when bill-c31 was enacted into law, the full status mother and her children lost thier status if they married an non-native, like my mother......  so in 1985 canada moved me from the non-status list to the status list, but low and behold, they created 2 different levels of status, 61 and 62, and any women who was reinstated to the status list (meaning any woman who lost her status when she married the non-native, was given full status back) but her children are listed as 62, for a 62 to pass down status, the 62 has to marry a 61, if the 62- meaning me- if i marry a non-native my 1/4 blood child will have no status..... if i marry another 62, my children will not have status even tho technically they would be HALF-BLOODS!! and in the coming generations when the children born right after 1985 have children it would be possible for a full blood and a 3/4 blood to not have status, if a 62 who is full blood marries a 62 who is full blood or half blood!!!!
it gets worse for me, because of the extreme hatred of those Mi'kmaw women who married non-natives, the band council, they passed a band resolution, their children and any other 62 Mi'kmaw will not have housing rights, nor will they have voting rights, they will not be allowed to vote in the election, i can run for the election that i cannot vote in!!!!!!
so for me 1/4 bloods are Mi'kmaw, although some like my children if i marry a non-native, would not have status, they still would be Mi'kmaw, but anything under a 1/4 blood i would not consider Mi'kamw, under 1/4 some people call them a "descendant" and the ones from great-great-great-granny i call them podia's i like to pronounce it like it was a L'nu word, bow-dai-Ya,
« Last Edit: February 19, 2010, 07:53:00 pm by apukjij »

Offline Paul123

<my best advice to people that seek this out, not raised in an actual community, would be to just forget about it.>

Yea that does sound harsh.
I am one that is trying to learn all that I can and I would bet that it is worth the effort.
I am exploring what I can through the CN's satellite communities.  This way the info should be correct. How much they will teach is still up in the air as this is a new endeavor for them as well.
The history class was well worth it.

Offline BlackWolf

Paul said
<my best advice to people that seek this out, not raised in an actual community, would be to just forget about it.>

I am one that is trying to learn all that I can and I would bet that it is worth the effort.
I am exploring what I can through the CN's satellite communities.  This way the info should be correct. How much they will teach is still up in the air as this is a new endeavor for them as well.

I'm not talking about culture and history.  That's quite different then spirituality.  From what I know of the Satellite Communities and for the ones in California that have been established for a while, its more about being a community organization for Cherokee Citizens.  It would be like you had a French Embassy in Ireland.  French people living away from their community ( France) but residing in Ireland would have community meetings at the embassy, maybe have French dinners, drink French wine, eat French cheese, and maybe listen to French music and dance to traditional French Folk music.  They also might have  a social soccer match and talk about family back home in France.  And then a History Teacher might be sent in from France to speak about French History to try and connect its citizens to French culture that live away from its community.

I don’ think a Catholic Mass or Sunday School Services would take place at this type of gathering.  Someone’s family would be responsible to talk about Spirituality to them.  I think the Satellite Communities in California have social Stomp Dance exhibitions on occasion but that’s about it.  I seriously doubt “spirituality” is part of what these organizations do. I guess it may be taught in “subtle manners” just for the fact that at these meetings you will usually find enrolled Cherokees that are from Oklahoma, but not really "spirituality" in the sense that I think you mean?

Not only that, but there are many Cherokees that are also Baptist, Methodist, and a few other denominations.  

When you say your trying to learn all you can, what do you mean by this?  Are you speaking of Spirituality or just Cherokee culture in general?   I’m not too sure where your coming from?  I guess one can learn “about” certain aspects of spiritually.  Such as “This is the Stomp Dance”, “this is how it is interpreted”, etc, etc.  But spirituality is nothing you can learn Paul.  When you try to do this, your walking the fine line of filtering everything you learn through a non Cherokee belief system.  As far as the culture and the History Class you mention, I believe your doing the right thing by learning with these Organizations.  But as far as spirituality goes, I’m really not sure you will ever be able to understand ways that weren’t/aren’t part of your life in any meaningful way. Obviously, this is a decision only you can make, but that’s just how I see things.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2010, 08:38:36 am by BlackWolf »

Offline Paul123

<When you say your trying to learn all you can, what do you mean by this?  Are you speaking of Spirituality or just Cherokee culture in general?>

Don't confuse "All I can" with everything there is.

Offline BlackWolf

This is what I said.

When someone discovers or decides later in life to embrace this long lost identity, they have to be careful about how they portray themselves to people who were raised in these ways, or had family raised in these ways.   When people try to portray themselves as something that is not part of who they are, We can see right through the bull crap, so my advice to people who want to explore their heritage and aren’t’ enrolled, would be for them to be realistic about what it is they really want to accomplish or are trying to do.  Identity is important and a part of this.  In regards to Cherokee/Native American Spirituality, my best advice to people that seek this out, not raised in an actual community, would be to just forget about it.  This may sound harsh to some, but that’s how I see it. The time, effort, and emotional toll that this takes, is a lot more then a  “part time Indian”  not living in a REAL, LIVING, BREATHING COMMUNITY is able to handle.

And then you responded here.

Paul123 said

I am exploring what I can through the CN's satellite communities.  This way the info should be correct. How much they will teach is still up in the air as this is a new endeavor for them as well.

And I was only talking specifically about Cherokee Spirituality, not culture.  Now, many parts of culture are interwoven with spirituality in certain ways.  So of course it’s not entirely separate.  But I was speaking in general about someone trying to implement Cherokee spirituality into their life when they’ve never lived or been part of a Traditional community.  You seem not to agree with my statement in regards to spirituality.  Can you explain why?
« Last Edit: February 20, 2010, 07:45:25 pm by BlackWolf »