Author Topic: Suicide Crisis and the State of emergency declared at Pine Ridge!  (Read 5058 times)

apukjij

Today 02/15/2010 at 8:35pm
To Friends, Relations and supporters.,

Over the last while, you have seen and heard of the terrible situations and conditions on the Pine Ridge Indian Reservation.

A few weeks ago, I asked you all to participate in a mass phone in campaign to the CNN. That campaign drew major media attention beacause of your help. Keith Olbermen picked up the story and aired it to the world. Also Oglala Sioux Tribe Declared a State of Emergency on Suicide.

I am asking for your help and support again.

I am asking that you join me tomorrow, Tuesday February 16th, in calling or emailing President Barack Obama at the White House, to inform him of the awful conditions facing my people here on Pine Ridge. And remind him of the promises that he has made to the First Nations/Native American people.

Tell him about the grinding poverty rates, the 80% unemployment and the desperation that is leading so many of our people and youth to commite suicide. We are asking that Aide is brought to our Lakota Nation in these matters.

1: When you make your call, please be respectful
2: State in your call Why you are calling, i.e., Suicide and poverty, etc
3: State that you would like to know what the President can do about this.
4: Remind respectfully that the President made promises to the First NationsNative American People during his campaign.

Help me to have our voices heard again, as you did a few weeks ago.

Together we can make a difference for the people. One voice together, loud enough for the President to open his mind and his heart to my people, the Lakota Nation of Pine Ridge Reservation.

Please begin calling during buisness hours which are 9am - 4 pm Eastern time. Keep calling and emailing all day.

I would be so grateful, if you would join me in this effort to help Our Lakota Nation be heard. Lets work together as one voice

Pila Unyape, Wopila Tanka Echichiyape
Respectfully, Autumn Two Bulls
Oglala Lakota of Pine Ridge South Dakota

PHONE THE WHITE HOUSE:
202 456 1111
http://www.whitehouse.gov/contact
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Faced with rash of suicides, OST President Two Bulls declares an emergency

In an emotional appeal to the people of Pine Ridge Indian Reservation, Oglala Sioux Tribe President Theresa Two Bulls declared a state of emergency Thursday in the face of overwhelming numbers of suicides and suicide attempts on South Dakota's largest reservation.

Between October 2008 and August 2009, the OST Public Safety Department responded to 96 suicide attempts or completions, Two Bulls said. Since September, there have been a rash of teen suicides on Pine Ridge. During November, the OST ambulance service responded to 17 suicide-related calls.

One of them was the death of a Pine Ridge High School student who hanged himself last week. On Thursday, a contingent of the teen's classmates were present for Two Bull's proclamation on the same day friends and family buried the boy and "sent him into the spirit world," Two Bulls said. "In our culture, we say children are sacred. Instead of just saying it, we need action now."

Specifics about OST's suicide prevention plans weren't revealed Thursday, except that Two Bulls mandated that Indian Health Services and all OST programs assist the Sweetgrass Project, OST's suicide prevention program, "to the fullest extent of their services."

She also called for schools and youth centers on the reservation to develop an action plan to keep gymnasiums and recreation centers open and available to youths on weekends and other "down times."

The state of emergency declaration was broadcast live throughout the reservation by KILI Radio.

"We can no longer have numbers like that," Sweetgrass Project director Carol O'Rourke said.

O'Rourke promised that the reservation would be blanketed with suicide prevention symbols of yellow ribbons and sweetgrass during the upcoming holiday season, a time when officials particularly worry about people who are contemplating suicide. "You'll see a lot of yellow ribbons during the holiday season," she said.

Tribal leaders need education about suicide prevention, said Rick Grey Grass, an OST council representative who expressed alarm about the recent rise in teen violence, pregnancy and suicide he sees.

"We need to step up to the plate as elected leaders and find something for our youth," Grey Grass said. "I'm listening, and I want to help and be a part of what's going on."

Two Bulls called on parents, grandparents and other adults to listen to the tribe's youths.

"It's time to listen to teens to hear how we can help them -- physically, mentally and emotionally," she said. "A lot of these youth don't get a hug a day. They never hear that they're loved. We need to start using that word."
http://www.rapidcityjournal.com/news/article_f86dfe92-e5ec-11de-ae92-001cc4c03286.html

apukjij

Re: Suicide Crisis and the State of emergency declared at Pine Ridge!
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2010, 01:02:37 pm »
Via Autumn Two Bulls:
Take a Stand Against Poverty & Suicide in Lakota Country join us in Calling The White House ~202 456 1111
 Yesterday at 1:30pm
Follow -Up Call In to White House Friday 2/19
Help bring a voice to the Lakota Nation in the matters Poverty and Suicide on the Pine Ridge Reservation/Contact White House

To Friends, Relations and supporters.,

Thank you for the overwhelming response to our White House Call In last Tuesday 2/16.
Over the last while, you have seen and heard of the terrible situations and conditions on the Pine Ridge Indian Reservation.

Again, I am asking you to come make your voice be heard.Last Tuesday all of you overwhelmed the Comment line 202 456 1111.
Tomorrow, Friday February 19, 2010,please take the time to call in again.We need to keep this subject on the President's "Radar" and this is a way for us to be heard.

Tell President Obama of the awful conditions facing my people here on Pine Ridge. Tell him the Oglala Sioux Tribe Declared a State of Emergency on Suicide ((INSERT DATE)) Remind him of the promises that he has made to the First Nations/Native American people. Promises waiting to be fulfilled.

When you call the comment line tell them about the grinding poverty rates, the 80% unemployment and the desperation that is leading so many of our people and youth to commite suicide. We are asking that Aide is brought to our Lakota Nation in these matters.

1: When you make your call, please be respectful
2: State in your call Why you are calling, i.e., Suicide and povertyon the Pine Ridge Reservation, etc
3: State that you would like to know what the President can do about this.
4: Remind respectfully that the President made promises to the First NationsNative American People during his campaign.

Help us to be heard again, we've only just begun use our voice.

Together we can make a difference for the people. One voice together, loud enough for the President to open his mind and his heart to my people, the Lakota Nation of Pine Ridge Reservation.

Please begin calling during buisness hours which are 9am - 4 pm Eastern time. Keep calling and emailing all day.

I am so grateful for the support in this effort to help Our Lakota Nation be heard. Lets work together as one voice

Pila Unyape, Wopila Tanka Echichiyape
Respectfully, Autumn Two Bulls
Oglala Lakota of Pine Ridge South Dakota
http://www.whitehouse.gov/contact
PHONE THE WHITE HOUSE:
202 456 1111

Faced with rash of suicides, OST President Two Bulls declares an emergency
www.rapidcityjournal.com
In an emotional appeal to the people of Pine Ridge Indian Reservation, Oglala Sioux Tribe President Theresa Two Bulls declared a state of emergency Thursday in the face of overwhelming numbers of suicides and suicide attempts on South Dakota's largest reservation.

apukjij

« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2010, 01:07:59 pm »
The National Society for American Indian Elderly
200 E. Fillmore Street #151
Phoenix, AZ 85004

Senator John McCain
241 Russell Senate Office Building
Washington, DC 20510
Re: Tribes in need of assistance

February 12, 2010.

Dear Senator McCain,

It is unclear why people in need of assistance are not receiving the help that has been extended in several other regions in the last few weeks. Some of the gravest danger may have passed, but a great deal of help is still needed. A Presidential State of Emergency has yet to be called for South Dakota. It is our sincere hope that the problem is addressed quickly and that the larger issues surrounding the delay are addressed.

The most pressing problem is the need for assistance for people in South Dakota. To clarify the current policy may help to resolve the issues surrounding the delay. It is our understanding that according to present Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) guidance, a Declaration of a Presidential Emergency is within the purview of the, Governor’ of the fifty States, which include, any State of the United States, the District of Columbia, Puerto Rico, the Virgin Islands, Guam, American Samoa, or the Trust Territory of the Pacific Islands, as established in (Title 42, Chapter 68, Subchapter I, subsection 5121), it clearly defines the mechanisms for requesting a declaration for a state of emergency or major emergency. As written, the policy does not well support Tribal sovereignty and redefines Tribal Governments as local governments.

(6) "Local government" means (A) any county, city, village, town, district, or other political subdivision of any State, any Indian tribe or authorized tribal organization, or Alaska Native village or organization, and (B) includes any rural community or unincorporated town or village or any other public entity for which an application for assistance is made by a State or political subdivision thereof.

The provisions treat federally recognized Tribes and Alaska Native corporations as local governments. The code as written, presupposes a strong working relationship between the Tribes and the State(s) in which they reside, an idea that has led to many of the resources intended for tribes being shuttled through State governments. There exists a great variance in the relationship status between a given State and the Tribe(s) contained within its borders.

This supposition has been demonstrated to be ineffective and due to the nature of the relationship of Tribes with the federal government no such supposition should have found its way into laws, codes, rules or regulations, especially those that involve tribal rights and/or the health and well being of Tribal members. Executive Order 13175 as recently reaffirmed by President Obama demonstrates a clear mandate to address Tribes directly and develop policies that support tribal sovereignty and self-determination.

The regulations governing the process by which a declaration is requested predate both the Executive Order and the subsequent memorandum from President Obama of November 5, 2009. The current administration is clearly in the midst of updating and defining tribal consultation and coordination. In the interim it is necessary to clearly define the roles assigned both States and Tribes.

Presently in South Dakota, four Tribes are in dire need from the effects of a series of storms and two of the tribes and many outside organizations are soliciting donations to provide heat and basic necessities. The four Tribes are the Cheyenne River Sioux Tribe, the Standing Rock Sioux Tribe (SRST), the Rosebud Sioux Tribe and the Oglala Sioux Tribe located within the boundaries of South Dakota with the exception of the SRST which is located within in both South and North Dakota.

Each of the Tribes is experiencing a harsh level of distress and each appears to have fallen into the grey area of Tribal relations. Specifically, those areas assigned to the States that leave Tribes with both another layer of governmental procedures to navigate and in a position that diminishes their standing and their rights. It is hoped that the policy of directing States to include Tribes as they deem necessary will be more fully addressed under new guidance.

Presently and by all accounts a state of emergency exists for the four Tribes mentioned above and though Tribal chairs have declared a state of emergency, a Presidential Declaration of Emergency has not been issued. We request that an immediate inquiry is made as to the needs and methods to best help tribal members experiencing extreme difficulty and that a Presidential Declaration of Emergency is declared.

With regards,

Victoria Collins
Executive Director
(NSAIE head office is in John McCain's home district)

« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2010, 12:21:06 am »
I hope this effort is met with a positive result. 
press the little black on silver arrow Music, 1) Bob Pietkivitch Buddha Feet http://www.4shared.com/file/114179563/3697e436/BuddhaFeet.html