Author Topic: Racism from Jerry Monroe thread  (Read 10250 times)

Racism from Jerry Monroe thread
« on: January 14, 2010, 03:03:01 am »
As far as reparations I am not an American and its not my taxes. But if you don't see that enslaving people, stealing them from their homeland,forcing them to work without pay for generations, raping their women and then after they were "liberated" forcing them to live in a Jim Crow world is not tantamount to losing the land. That's a double standard!
I didn't support reparations when I lived in the states because I understand economics and social dynamics. It would be a physical impossibility to pay reparations without bankrupting the national economy. It would be an entirely unworkable situation and would alienate the millions of Americans who did not benefit from slavery. The lowest estimate I've seen was over 100 trillion dollars.
I really doubt that the current status quo will continue for just those reasons, population and lack of political and economic power. Every large ethnic group has political power base on their numbers, except Indians. There is a Hispanic Caucas and a black caucas in congress and they represent their ethnic groups interests, who represents Indians? To go into this century expecting that evut racerything would continue is simply unrealistic.
And no many people, in fact most people where I live and even in the US are not racists. A small and vocal minority are, however. To say that people will always be racist is simply wrong. Just as you learn to be a racist, education destroys the ignorance that allows racism to fester. If people cannot change how did segregation end, PEOPLE CHANGED! They had more education and more contact with other people and races making them see that their stereotypes were rooted in lies and prejudice. I went to integrated schools, grew up with kids of all races, learned 2 languages before I graduated from high school, married interracially and raise 2 kids without race, because I was never isolated. Prejudice grows in isolation and is fed by ignorance of others.

Who said it wasn't tantamount to losing the land?  Or their lives or culture?  I don't recall seeing anyone say that. 

I believe racism exists and most likely always will.  Or perhaps what I should say is prejudices.  There are prejudices handed down for generations, religions, racial, gender, identity orientation.. and they continue to be handed down. 

Just recently talking to someone regarding death and the expression of sympathy, I was told quite frankly that they have 'no sympathy for people who are not Christian'. 

Prejudice exists.. I just don't understand why you keep bringing it up over and over again.  Is something not being met to your satisfaction?  What are you trying to convey?  That racism existed/exists?  It does.  Ok..  so? 

press the little black on silver arrow Music, 1) Bob Pietkivitch Buddha Feet http://www.4shared.com/file/114179563/3697e436/BuddhaFeet.html

Offline Don Naconna

Re: Racism from Jerry Monroe thread
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2010, 06:34:13 pm »
Education and ending racial isolation ends. How did the civil rights movement end Jim Crow and guarantee full voting rights, because we changed attitudes. I was there not because I have black blood but because it was the right thing to do. So you are wrong. Some people will always blame race for their failures, but as people see that stereotypes an generalisations are fallacies, the majority of rational people of any race see the senseless stupidity of racism.
As to the people who accuse me of beign a racist, they are the ones who refuse to give up their old ways and come into this century where people live together in peace and harmony. Could a black man have been elected in 1960, no because the majority of white people were racist. Every president until Kennedy were racists and depended on racist to win elections.
I live in a multicultural nation where it is our national policy. Someday we will overcome our historic mistreatment of our aboriginal population, that may take a generation, but I am optimistic.

Offline earthw7

• Standing Rock Tourism
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2010, 08:54:35 pm »
wow where is this place you are talking about?? I know it is not in the dakotas
these germans and Norweign are really racist here.
So Don is another Indian hater I have seen these kind of racist all
of life.
He is so racist that he can't see it himself but that is why racist act that way.

In Spirit

« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2010, 09:05:47 pm »
I agree education can end prejudices, but then again, I do know some highly educated peoples who still have prejudices of one sort or another.  

I don't believe bashing into a forum with claims and continuing to cram it down peoples throats is 'education'.  

I also don't perceive that always claiming to be right even when you are not is 'educated'.. if you look closely, you can see that your actions and ways of speaking here are highly suspect of having your set of prejudices.  

No one claims all Germans to be racists against Jewish people, yet you do this with the Cherokee?  Make claims of generalizations?  It's ok for you to do in the name of 'education'.  Thing is, you are talking to people here under assumption that you have to educate them.. how do you know they are not already aware?  Because they don't agree with you 100%?  That is no way to judge..  I also read and read these replies to you and I do not see you coming forth with concrete answers or evidence that has been asked for.  Myself, not knowing of these issues *at all* until here, is good example of what you are educating.. as I am learning how one person can continue on the same platform and never step back enough to give answers being asked for.. and.. I am learning first hand what racism looks like with over generalized comments that when asked for evidence, none is given.. just more talk.  Shall I thank you for that education?

And I apologize if my reply above is a bit snippy, but your posts are annoying as can be to me.. and I've already decided just not bother reading it anymore.. I'm not "learning" anything except your constant noise..  But..  then saw your reply and thought it is neighborly to make response.. so I am.   I'm sorry, I don't mean to be rude.. I'm being honest and open to you.. maybe shed some light to you on how a person like me, with NO knowledge of any of this subject is reacting to your 'way' of presenting it.  Maybe you can use my experience to adjust your approach.. or not..  doesn't matter to me, just thought I'd say.

And although I would like to see a world without prejudice, I just don't see it in human nature.  There will always be one thing or another that people are prejudiced on or against or whatever.  Someone always has to be right, and someone wrong.  Until the middle can be found, we will have sides and divisions.  And for myself, I just don't see humanity finding that middle ground in any time soon.  

Although, that doesn't mean to say I don't hope or believe that at some point in time, the world just may be free of prejudices..

press the little black on silver arrow Music, 1) Bob Pietkivitch Buddha Feet http://www.4shared.com/file/114179563/3697e436/BuddhaFeet.html

Offline Rattlebone

« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2010, 11:16:02 pm »

As to the people who accuse me of beign a racist, they are the ones who refuse to give up their old ways and come into this century where people live together in peace and harmony.

I live in a multicultural nation where it is our national policy. Someday we will overcome our historic mistreatment of our aboriginal population, that may take a generation, but I am optimistic.

Now you are starting to sound like a racist far right winger who tries to hide their racism by talking about "progress" and "this being modern times" when you make statements such as " refuse to give up their old ways and come into this century where people live together in peace and harmony."

What are our old ways Don?

Is trying to maintain ourselves as a distinct and proud people, who have the god given right to exist as such in the face of a colonial invasion and society that wishes to now assimilate us into non existence, racist of us?

You are obviously no Indian, but you do speak from the standpoint of a black civil rights movement sorta of person, even if you are coming across as a racist when you speak of integrating into larger society.

In the civil rights movement it was the goal for blacks to integrate and become part of the mainstream society like everyone else.

This was and is very much the different from NDN's, as we have always had the goal to be left alone and excluded from being forced into the mainstream society.

To do so would mean, and does mean, no longer existing as a distinct people, and assimilating into extinction.

It is of no real  consequence when other people have or do come to these lands to become an American or Canadian, since across the water their people will live on and not face vanishing from the planet.

For indigenous people here, and across the globe, doing so does and has meant extinction.

The Indian did not come here from some other place in  recent history and chose to be an American or Canadian, but rather has been here by creation stories since the dawn of man, or by white man's Bering Straight theory, at least 10 to 30,000 years if not longer.

The American Indian should not have to integrate and fade into the larger society, and saying that does not make myself or anyone else who believes that a racist.

It means we have the god given right to love Indian people, and the right to wish to see them exist as a distinct and proud people far into the future.

The Indian did not come here from across the water to be an American or Canadian, but those people came here to be of those new nations.

What is so wrong with the American Indian existing from Alaska to the tip of South America, that we must vanish from the face of the planet forever so that you colonials can have some pseudo perfect country, that in reality is just the pursuit of $$$$ in the first place. If it were not, you would not keeping bringing up taxes like you have.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2010, 11:26:57 pm by Rattlebone »

Offline Defend the Sacred

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2010, 08:44:06 pm »
I have Cherokee blood, but do not claim to be an Indian, because I am not an American and frankly have no connection with Americans Indian, black or white.

Yeah, that's become progressively more clear.

I am an an anti racist activist

With all due respect, dude, you're not sounding like one.

That means that I am opposed to racism from Indians, white and black people.

Maybe you should try being opposed to racism against Indians and Black people.
Just a suggestion.

As to the people who accuse me of beign a racist, they are the ones who refuse to give up their old ways and come into this century where people live together in peace and harmony.

Wow.

Racism is not in the past. It's right here, right now. Just because it's not as murderously blatant as it's been at some points in recent history doesn't mean that people don't face it every day. Have you ever walked the streets of a conservative American city as a Person of Color, or with a Person of Color? Have you really paid attention to how people are treated? You sure don't sound like it. Do you have any idea how out of touch you sound? 

Forced (or coerced) assimilation is cultural genocide.

It's often said that race is a social construct. Varying shades of skin do not mean we are different species from one another. We are all human.

BUT, what makes one group different from another is culture. There is really no such thing as "white culture". There are ethnic cultures of people who lack pigmentation. And there is the lowest common denominator "culture" of homogenized, mainstream America. The latter is no culture. It has no history; it has no spirituality; it is based on consumerism, capitalism, and cultural appropriation/dilution. To ask people who actually have a cultural identity to give it up for that emptiness is inhuman.

Every day on this forum we see the horrid things done by those with no culture, who are looking to steal from others. You are advocating that people become like that?

But I guess those who think crappy TV shows, stupid pop muzak and fast food equal culture don't know any better. But it's sad. And it's unacceptable to tell people to lose their traditional cultures to become zombies.

And even unwittingly advocating cultural genocide is pretty damn racist.

I would suggest reading this link, as it seems you really don't understand what people here are saying about racism and privilege: http://www.antiracistalliance.com/Unpacking.html
« Last Edit: July 19, 2014, 01:53:34 am by Kathryn »

Offline Don Naconna

« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2010, 04:19:47 pm »
of life.
He is so racist that he can't see it himself but that is why racist act that way.

You are so very wrong. I have no allegiances based on race, and that means I have no prejudices based on race. However I see that anyone who has a different opinion is called a racist. It appears that the folks who call me or anyone else who disagrees with them a racist, need to learn what the word means. Its all based on power to discriminate against other races, I have no power nor a desire to discriminate against anyone based on race.
Please cite examples of my "racism". Or do you mean issues where I have disagreed with someone of another race or ethnicity? Please cite eamples where I have expressed prejudical stereotypes of any racial group (s). I doubt that you will find any.
So before you start calling people racists make sure you are prepared to prove it. Thanks

« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2010, 04:35:59 pm »
You do have a prejudice.  It shows every time a post is written very clearly outlining why the freedmen were expelled and you fail to comprehend.  Your prejudice tells you the history is wrong, and that they were expelled due to race, and not due BQ/descendants.  That is a prejudice, and a strong one since it blinds you from seeing anything other than what you *believe*. 

Offline Don Naconna

« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2010, 08:59:17 pm »
I disagree totally.

Offline Rattlebone

« Reply #9 on: January 20, 2010, 10:07:30 pm »
of life.

You are so very wrong. I have no allegiances based on race, and that means I have no prejudices based on race. However I see that anyone who has a different opinion is called a racist. It appears that the folks who call me or anyone else who disagrees with them a racist, need to learn what the word means. Its all based on power to discriminate against other races, I have no power nor a desire to discriminate against anyone based on race.
Please cite examples of my "racism". Or do you mean issues where I have disagreed with someone of another race or ethnicity? Please cite eamples where I have expressed prejudical stereotypes of any racial group (s). I doubt that you will find any.
So before you start calling people racists make sure you are prepared to prove it. Thanks

I think Blackwolf figured you out very well when he pointed out how you had nothing to say about Cherokee people who had a majority of their blood consisting of African ancestry, but you constantly harp or make comments about Cherokee people with high or mostly white ancestry.

So sometimes what you don't say is very evident by those little things you do say, that those little things you do say are almost always poison against those Cherokee mixed with white ancestry. These threads are filled with those comments by you, and all have read them.

Then of course I will never forget how you recently told me something like "Indians were the most violent people in the United States," or whatever it was that you told me.

Offline Don Naconna

« Reply #10 on: January 22, 2010, 06:45:51 pm »
If your "old ways" include racial slavery, discrimination and supporting treason (the confederacy), should the "old ways" be supported by tax payers whose ancestors were victims. In other words should the government be required to support your "old ways" with all taxpayers dollars. You have the right to your "old ways" and the CBC has the obligation to speak for those taxpayers who don't support your "old ways". Think about it. You appear to have a problem with the civil rights mov't. If you read the Civil Rights Acts of 1964, it never mentions any race, it clearly was meant to apply to all people, Latino, Asian and Indian people benefited from it. I was proud to be part of it. I think that you sound much more like many white people from the south who grew up with segregation and don't accept change.

I agree education can end prejudices, but then again, I do know some highly educated peoples who still have prejudices of one sort or another.  

I don't believe bashing into a forum with claims and continuing to cram it down peoples throats is 'education'.  

I also don't perceive that always claiming to be right even when you are not is 'educated'.. if you look closely, you can see that your actions and ways of speaking here are highly suspect of having your set of prejudices.  

No one claims all Germans to be racists against Jewish people, yet you do this with the Cherokee?  Make claims of generalizations?  It's ok for you to do in the name of 'education'.  Thing is, you are talking to people here under assumption that you have to educate them.. how do you know they are not already aware?  Because they don't agree with you 100%?  That is no way to judge..  I also read and read these replies to you and I do not see you coming forth with concrete answers or evidence that has been asked for.  Myself, not knowing of these issues *at all* until here, is good example of what you are educating.. as I am learning how one person can continue on the same platform and never step back enough to give answers being asked for.. and.. I am learning first hand what racism looks like with over generalized comments that when asked for evidence, none is given.. just more talk.  Shall I thank you for that education?

And I apologize if my reply above is a bit snippy, but your posts are annoying as can be to me.. and I've already decided just not bother reading it anymore.. I'm not "learning" anything except your constant noise..  But..  then saw your reply and thought it is neighborly to make response.. so I am.   I'm sorry, I don't mean to be rude.. I'm being honest and open to you.. maybe shed some light to you on how a person like me, with NO knowledge of any of this subject is reacting to your 'way' of presenting it.  Maybe you can use my experience to adjust your approach.. or not..  doesn't matter to me, just thought I'd say.

And although I would like to see a world without prejudice, I just don't see it in human nature.  There will always be one thing or another that people are prejudiced on or against or whatever.  Someone always has to be right, and someone wrong.  Until the middle can be found, we will have sides and divisions.  And for myself, I just don't see humanity finding that middle ground in any time soon.  

Although, that doesn't mean to say I don't hope or believe that at some point in time, the world just may be free of prejudices..

Offline Rattlebone

« Reply #11 on: January 22, 2010, 10:20:33 pm »
If your "old ways" include racial slavery, discrimination and supporting treason (the confederacy), should the "old ways" be supported by tax payers whose ancestors were victims. In other words should the government be required to support your "old ways" with all taxpayers dollars. You have the right to your "old ways" and the CBC has the obligation to speak for those taxpayers who don't support your "old ways". Think about it. You appear to have a problem with the civil rights mov't. If you read the Civil Rights Acts of 1964, it never mentions any race, it clearly was meant to apply to all people, Latino, Asian and Indian people benefited from it. I was proud to be part of it. I think that you sound much more like many white people from the south who grew up with segregation and don't accept change.

If your "old ways" include racial slavery, discrimination and supporting treason (the confederacy

For a persons that claims to be a history teacher, you sure do spout off about issues in such a way as to indicate you know nothing about the history of the tribes you are attacking.

If you are aware of the true history, then you are obviously ignoring those things which do not promote your agenda.

As I have pointed out to you many times already; "The Cherokee Nation" did not fight in the confederacy as a "tribe/nation." Just as the United States broke in half during the Civil War, so did the tribes in what is now Oklahoma.

So to say the Cherokee Nation fought for the confederacy is as absurd and incorrect as saying the northern states fought for the confederacy while fighting the confederacy itself.

I am seriously starting to doubt you are a history professor as you claim, or that you fully understand the complexity of the issues you attempt to speak on.

supported by tax payers whose ancestors were victims

Again, you are seriously making me doubt you are a history professor, or that you understand the issues you are speaking about.

Those things you claim are "being paid by the taxpayers," are actually things promised in treaties in exchange for the tribes giving up their land.

So what the United States is doing now, is more like paying rent based on promises it made that were legal binding based on the US constitution since the US constitution is the basis for all laws and actions taken by the Government and it's people.

whose ancestors were victims

Those victims of slavery were given reparations when they were admitted to the Cherokee Nation based on the treaty of 1866.

Those people alive today you are calling the "Freedmen" are actually not Freedmen, but rather descendents of them.

If the CNO wishes that it's membership be based on having Cherokee blood only, then that is it's right. It is doing no injustice to the Freedmen because none of them are alive today.

« Reply #12 on: January 22, 2010, 10:35:48 pm »
They aren't my old ways, or new ways either for that matter.  I am not NA and I don't practice NA ways.  I am here just learning and enjoying (for the most part) good conversation. 

I'm not even sure why you quoted me with your response because it doesn't even relate as far as I can see, but I dunno.. maybe I missed something.

No one claims all Germans to be racists against Jewish people, yet you do this with the Cherokee?  Make claims of generalizations?  It's ok for you to do in the name of 'education'.  Thing is, you are talking to people here under assumption that you have to educate them.. how do you know they are not already aware?  Because they don't agree with you 100%?  That is no way to judge..  I also read and read these replies to you and I do not see you coming forth with concrete answers or evidence that has been asked for.  Myself, not knowing of these issues *at all* until here, is good example of what you are educating.. as I am learning how one person can continue on the same platform and never step back enough to give answers being asked for.. and.. I am learning first hand what racism looks like with over generalized comments that when asked for evidence, none is given.. just more talk.  Shall I thank you for that education?

And I apologize if my reply above is a bit snippy, but your posts are annoying as can be to me.. and I've already decided just not bother reading it anymore.. I'm not "learning" anything except your constant noise..  But..  then saw your reply and thought it is neighborly to make response.. so I am.   I'm sorry, I don't mean to be rude.. I'm being honest and open to you.. maybe shed some light to you on how a person like me, with NO knowledge of any of this subject is reacting to your 'way' of presenting it.  Maybe you can use my experience to adjust your approach.. or not..  doesn't matter to me, just thought I'd say.

And although I would like to see a world without prejudice, I just don't see it in human nature.  There will always be one thing or another that people are prejudiced on or against or whatever.  Someone always has to be right, and someone wrong.  Until the middle can be found, we will have sides and divisions.  And for myself, I just don't see humanity finding that middle ground in any time soon. 

Offline Don Naconna

« Reply #13 on: January 23, 2010, 02:45:02 pm »
of life.

The only people I hate are bigots of all colours and it appears that there are a few here. Do you actually knwo what a racist is, its is not anyone who disagrees with you who is different. It really is senseless trying to deal with people who just don't undestand what racism is and call everyone who disagrees you a racist. I am NOT a racist but I also don't believe that everything that a person of any race does os right. You seem to believe that Indian are always right nd superior to all other peoples and cultures, I don't believe any people or cultures are superior to any other, people are people, good, bad, ugly, beautiful, smart and stupid. You can't accept that or question what motivates people other than race. Sorry racists don't just believe that other groups are inferior, they believe that their group is superior

Offline Don Naconna

« Reply #14 on: January 24, 2010, 11:26:08 pm »
The only people I hate are fools and racists, and if some Indians are fools and racists, they fit the profile. I have no hatred of any race or ethnicity I only support justice and human rights. That may piss people off because I have no love for any race or ethnicity either, and it appears that no one here can be objective about Indians or admit that they are human. I have found more racism against all non Indians than in all the white racist groups I monitor.
Just because someone of another race doesn't agree with you doesn make them a racist. It may come as a suprise to you but I'm sure that not all Indian people are in agreement with other Indian people, are they racists.
Hey white right wing racists are calling Obama a racist, he's a biracial, who does he hate his mother or his father. Isn't it time to grow out of the the 19th century and the segregated racial mindset. I did, try it, its liberating. Maybe someday you'll learn what and who is a racist, and it sure as hell isn't me! I am assuming that you are saying that all Norwegians and Germans are racists, that is news to me. Its generalisations like that that demonstrate your limited human experience.

of life.