Author Topic: The Word "Aho"  (Read 132123 times)

apukjij

Re: The Word "Aho"
« Reply #15 on: December 26, 2009, 06:52:59 pm »
In Mi'kmaq the term Ta ho is an ancient term, is used at the end of a Traditional Ceremonial song, or sometimes at the end of a speech; to signify aggreement and add emphasis to what is being shared by one or the group of listeners present. however it is never used at the end of catholic prayers or hymns that have been translated into Mi'kmaq. Mohawk Elder Tom Porter uses it at the end of his Traditional prayers, he teaches in his way that it means "we are of one mind and one heart about it" it being what ever prayer or song was being shared. It is not known if it was used at the end of Traditional Mi'kmaq Prayers before contact.

Offline E.P. Grondine

• Man and Impact in the Americas
« Reply #16 on: December 28, 2009, 12:11:40 am »
A good question.

I quick internet search on "aho" has it showing up in omaha, iowa, and odawa.

I suspect it may have come from an algonquin source, cognate with shawnee "ahah", "yes", but more emphatic: "Yes!".

It also seems to be being used in the sense of "hello", "thanks", and "blessing".

« Last Edit: December 28, 2009, 12:14:43 am by E.P. Grondine »

Offline earthw7

• Standing Rock Tourism
« Reply #17 on: December 28, 2009, 03:29:30 pm »
Too funny ;D ;D

So many new agers and wannabes use this word trying to be
something and don't even know where it came from. what can
you say DUH!
In Spirit

« Reply #18 on: December 28, 2009, 04:07:06 pm »
I don't know.. I put an L and an E at the end, and then I know what it means...  :D
press the little black on silver arrow Music, 1) Bob Pietkivitch Buddha Feet http://www.4shared.com/file/114179563/3697e436/BuddhaFeet.html

Offline Cloud

« Reply #19 on: December 28, 2009, 10:01:38 pm »
I received more background on the info from a couple of new friends who say "Aho" is an Apache word. It was taught to them by their Apache teacher, Maria Yraceburu. I pointed them in the direction of NAFPS. Evidently they've been told that the fraud thing is all because the Apache nation isn't thrilled that Maria is teaching people who aren't Apache and that Maria says it needs to be passed down and taught to others if it's to survive.

I feel sick.

Interesting. Google actually lists a phone number for her. Yraceburu EarthWisdom - Escondido California - 760.445.6266 http://www.yraceburu.org/Maria.html  Part of this website lists her as being Chiricahua Apache now. Or was she always claiming that in addition to the Quero Apache?

I googled the phone number. This woman has her fists in everything!

« Reply #20 on: December 28, 2009, 10:47:38 pm »
An "honorarium of around $500/day or $100/hr"  I guess their books and artwork isn't selling too well .. 

This is really sick though, that's a revolting amount of money to charge and call it an 'honorarium'  and some may need more 'honorarium' for their time..  good grief.. who in the world is worth that much?  Or think they are.. or.. well, whatever, I just really hate this kind of thing. 

There are real people in the real world who are seriously trying to follow a feeling in side of them .. a feeling of 'Spirit'..  and this is all they are offered to help them on their way..  a charge of 500 bucks/100 per hour to help them. 

The people charging this money should be ashamed.. but of course they are not.. they're egos tell them they are well worth it..  and so.. I'll put the L and the E at the end of Aho and say that to them..  at least.. I'll know what I mean with it.. 
press the little black on silver arrow Music, 1) Bob Pietkivitch Buddha Feet http://www.4shared.com/file/114179563/3697e436/BuddhaFeet.html

Offline Defend the Sacred

• Global Moderator
« Reply #21 on: December 29, 2009, 11:38:58 pm »
Evidently they've been told that the fraud thing is all because the Apache nation isn't thrilled that Maria is teaching people who aren't Apache and that Maria says it needs to be passed down and taught to others if it's to survive.

I feel sick.

That's a common fraud thing. I've met a number of white people who sincerely believed they were helping NDNs and cultural survival by learning ceremonies from frauds. They had no idea. Another common thing is for the frauds to tell the nons that the ceremonies need to be spread beyond NDNs so we can all "heal the earth". They really believe that by mimicking ceremonies they are helping.

Offline WINative

« Reply #22 on: July 25, 2013, 03:56:46 pm »
Hau (used only by men)-Lakota. Is the word for greeting or hello. As an urban Indian this is where I was taught it came from. The spelling has been changed to "Aho" and it has become a pan-indian word of prayer like saying Amen or giving your acknowledgment or support also. This is where the Hollywood film got there greetings of "How!" for Italian-played Indians...

Offline earthw7

• Standing Rock Tourism
« Reply #23 on: July 25, 2013, 05:47:50 pm »
Its a Kiowa word that was spread by the pow-wow circle and became the new age word
so even today we have our young people using the word to sound REAL NATIVE  ;D ;D
In Spirit

Offline Late Worm

« Reply #24 on: July 26, 2013, 05:26:40 am »
I've heard the term "aho" used for years and years - by various Indian groups.  I think it was popular at Wounded Knee to talk that way.  But look at the context - a speaker says something to a group and they respond with "aho."  It's another way of saying "amen" - I mean that's the way it functions.  Even if it was derived from a particular indigenous language it's use today is a matter of style and fashion.  Come to think of it I've heard it used in Mexico also among Indians - pretty funny since in Spanish "ajo" is wild garlic.

Offline choctawwind

« Reply #25 on: October 22, 2013, 06:42:46 pm »
The word Aho is the MASCULINE version of Lakota, Aho Mitakuye Oyasin........like "amen"..........to hear a woman say "Aho" is so wannabe and inappropriate.  Women should say "Iyay".  Iyay Mitakuye Oyasin.

Offline debbieredbear

• Global Moderator
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #26 on: October 22, 2013, 08:30:35 pm »
Choctawwind
 earthw7 IS Lakota and says it's Kiowa.

Offline Defend the Sacred

• Global Moderator
« Reply #27 on: October 22, 2013, 10:08:51 pm »
Yep.  Please read the whole thread, "choctawwind." Earthw7 is a respected historian from Standing Rock and knows her own language. As do plenty of others who are reading this.

I agree that lots of pan-Indian exploiters and ceremony-sellers like to use what they think are Lakota words. :)

Offline milehighsalute

« Reply #28 on: October 24, 2013, 02:57:50 pm »
i heard the term aho my whole life of 44yrs.....then again i live in denver where john emhoolah, the clevelands, the cozads, the zotighs ect always been a big part of powwow out here.......and they are all kiowa....and trust me kiowas are behind almost every powwow in the country in some way...real powwows at least.....you'll always find a a kiowa somewhere nearby

they use aho for hello, see you later, thank you, to wish you blessings or an exclamation...but technically i think it loosely translates to thank you

i understand "weecha" thats used by alot of powwow mc's is also a kiowa word for exclamation.......i never hear it outside of powwow though

example: during fast part of mens fancy contest song you may hear the mc say "look at them boys go....WEEEEEEEE CHAAAAHH!!!"

all i gotta say is my kiowa friends sure like to powwow

Offline earthw7

• Standing Rock Tourism
« Reply #29 on: October 25, 2013, 12:31:49 am »
The word Aho is the MASCULINE version of Lakota, Aho Mitakuye Oyasin........like "amen"..........to hear a woman say "Aho" is so wannabe and inappropriate.  Women should say "Iyay".  Iyay Mitakuye Oyasin.

Too funny we dont have an "amen".......................... thats a christian thing,
It is not our words ask any Lakota ;D ;D
In Spirit