Author Topic: New forum about entheogens in neo-animism and traditional indigenous religions  (Read 3801 times)

Offline AndreasWinsnes

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

I have created a forum about entheogens in connection with a Ph.D. thesis about psychoactive plants in a spiritual context. Several countries allow such plants to be a part of spiritual ceremonies, but I argue that Western neo-animists should not necessarily have the same legal protection as traditional practitioners of indigenous religions because the former often conduct ceremonies which are so superficial that is can be difficult to see the difference between recreational use and spirituality.

I also argue that the comparativism of New Age can explain why this superficial attitude is common among many so-called "neo-shamans". This kind of comparativism states that all religions are essentially the same, and that one can mix elements from different traditions without harming the essence. Consequently, new agers who use entheogens don't have to worry about elaborate and time-consuming ceremonies. All that is needed, many will claim, is love, compassion and humility. An attitude which any hippie and recreational user will support.

But I am not sure if everything I write in the thesis is correct, and therefore I have created a forum where both neo-animists and traditionalists can give advice and correct mistakes.

Unfortunately, the thesis is in Norwegian, but I know that there are some Scandinavians here in the NAFPS forum, so if you have time, I will appreciate your comments. I can send you a free pdf-copy of the thesis. It is 400 pages long.

But online, the discussions will be in English, and I try to write in a way which makes it possible for non-Scandinavians to follow the debate, so please feel free to contribute.

The debate about entheogens is a part of a greater project called LAW. This project is about the right to use defensive political violence against oppressive organisations, for example multinational companies that kill people in developing countries. If you have arguments against this project, please present them in our forum.

Scroll down the forum to find the section about entheogens. It is included in this project because both topics are about philosophy of law.

The forum is unorthodox and kind of postmodern, so please read the introduction first, and especially the article called "Perspectivism".

The website can be found here: http://www.defence.nu

« Last Edit: July 06, 2009, 04:46:47 pm by AndreasWinsnes »

Offline AndreasWinsnes

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
So far there are not many interested in discussing at the LAW forum, so how about having a multi-forum debate where participants from several forums can follow the discussion by reading contributions published through the links listed below? I have already suggested this at the Auahuasca forum:

http://forums.ayahuasca.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?t=19878&start=0&postdays=0&postorder=asc&highlight=

If you speak Scandinavian, here is perhaps the major animist forum in that part of the world:

http://sjaman.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=11458&sid=01f87680877fd56b2604b5fabbfb0d62

More forums will be listed later.