Author Topic: When the political becomes personal  (Read 3989 times)

Offline Defend the Sacred

• Global Moderator
When the political becomes personal
« on: April 30, 2008, 06:29:57 am »
I'm putting this in etc because it's mostly my problem. But it's also an issue of cultural appropriation and misrepresentation of Lakota ceremonies. Forgive me if this post is a bit self-pitying or self-indulgent.

I have mentioned in some of the discussions on here about how I've made the mistake of associating with some appropriators in my past. The Neopagan community that I used to participate in (mostly in the eighties, when things weren't quite as bad as they are now) is full of people who don't care a bit about what traditional people have to say about protection of ceremonies.

Perhaps worse, there are plenty of these people who pay lip service to avoiding cultural appropriation... and then they go right ahead and do it. Or look the other way when others do it. And get angry at anyone who calls them on it.

While "Pagan" and "Neopagan" are technically correct terms for Europeans who are trying to revive earth-based traditions, the fact is that these terms have become almost synonymous with Newage over the past twenty years. I used to see a difference... now, with most of these people, not so much. I feel like giving up on them all, and like I should have done so a long time ago. All but the people I know in person, and those who I know online who have made it clear they are for preserving tradition and stopping the appropriators and culture vultures.

For the record, I'm linking to a post about someone I made the mistake of allying with, and was internet-friends with from 1993 up until two years ago (2006).  I co-wrote a book and some articles with her (and others). I've linked before to her livejournal post where she defended her right to appropriate Lakota ceremonies as long as she fiddled with the terminology. But this is a post that explains the personal struggle I went through when I found out someone I considered my good friend was an appropriator: http://caitriona-nnc.livejournal.com/198294.html

I don't think I will ever again consider someone I only know on the Internet to truly be my friend, to truly be trustworthy, as it wasn't until she and I met in person that I learned the truth about her. I am very sad. Tonight I have had some acquaintances say some horrible things to me, in defense of her. I am glad it has happened, as it made clear where these white people stand when it comes to racism and appropriation. 

But still, I am sad. Perhaps I am mourning a time when I was young and naive, when I had more hope and faith in people. Tonight I am very grateful NAFPS exists. And though I don't know many of you in person, at least I know where most of you stand.

Offline earthw7

• Standing Rock Tourism
Re: When the political becomes personal
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2008, 07:12:59 pm »
All of this make me sad
In Spirit

Offline debbieredbear

• Global Moderator
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2008, 01:51:09 am »
Makes me sad too. Someonje who is actually working wirthin their culture and they do THIS??

Offline Defend the Sacred

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2008, 02:57:02 am »
Well, someone who *claimed* to be working within a culture of which they had some ancestry. 

I think if someone is really rooted in a culture they don't feel the need to do this sort of thing.

A lot of white Americans have diverse ancestry, so they just pick one of the "white" cultures in their ancestry that appeals to them, but they don't necessarily reconnect on a deep level. Sometimes they even say all the right words about it. Then something like this happens. I guess it reinforces the thing that having some ancestry doesn't mean someone is going to become part of the culture, or understand the traditions and values. It reminds me that if people don't feel rooted in who they are, they may see all cultures as part of the salad bar, and scorn those who say they don't want them grazing there.

And that's the Nuage right there.