Author Topic: McCarthyism/Extremism/Who Should Intervene  (Read 23246 times)

Offline nahualqo

McCarthyism/Extremism/Who Should Intervene
« on: March 19, 2007, 02:37:09 pm »
I believe it is important that you retain your credibility by refusing to go into extremism against Native Americans. McCarthism is passe. Unless you are from their tribal culture and you have the authority to judge another Native American from within their unique tribal beliefs, I would suggest to err on the side of leniency where Native Americans are concerned.

Offline Ingeborg

• Friends
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2007, 12:43:53 am »
I believe it is important that you retain your credibility by refusing to go into extremism against Native Americans. McCarthism is passe. Unless you are from their tribal culture and you have the authority to judge another Native American from within their unique tribal beliefs, I would suggest to err on the side of leniency where Native Americans are concerned.

I am quite certain that an entry in the Research Needed section will not have negative effects on my credibility, as the very title of this category reflects that there is doubt which further research, preferably by other persons in this forum, can clarify one way or the other.

Comparing an entry in the Research Needed section to McCarthyism, however, applies just the extremism you are advising me against. I am not engaging in a witch hunt here, nor am I looking for un-American activities in anybody. If I was repeating McCarthyist attitudes, as an aside, I wouldn't be giving a person the benefit of doubt by chosing the Research Needed category.

Your first sentence in the above quote, however - '...important that you retain your credibility by refusing to go into extremism against Native Americans' - suggests that I am going out of my way to seek, and find, fault with persons who happen to be ndn, i.e. vulgo racism. I am not contributing to this forum because I want to do something *against* ndns, but because I'd like to contribute to exposing frauds and plastics. I joined CERTAIN (Coalition to End Race-based Targeting of American INdians) in 1998 or 99, and am still a member there. You are welcome to inquire with people there regarding my credibility, my conduct, and my actions.

Quite frankly, I do not see how my activities here at NAFS in general or the above entry merit an accusation of racism.

When Sikyea's name came up while researching another person, I did some further research, during which I noticed the varying tribal affiliations mentioned in connection with him. If the nations named were wellknown here, I'd have put that down to people not being able to listen. However, the different ethnic groups, although mostly belonging to the Dene nation, are everything but widely known here. As far as I gathered, tribal affiliations aren't to be taken that lightly as to be changed whenever this feels convenient, and that "who claims you" is a crucial question.

The most important reason for entering this into the Research Needed section were the results which indicate this person is selling ceremonies both in Europe and in South Africa. As far as I gathered, this is a main indicator for suspecting someone as a fraud, as ceremonies should not be offered for money, never and under no circumstances, no money should be offered, no payment demanded, and that even the admission of non-ndn persons to ceremonies is a controversial matter.  

You may have noticed that when I first joined the forum, my contributions were posted by other persons. This was partly due to my situation re internet access, but I also wanted to have my research checked before it went online, by persons who have been doing such research far longer than me and who knew more about the matter than I did then. I don't assume I have as yet learned all there is to learn, but I do realize that a false or premature accusation will do harm and sought advise in cases of doubt. Seeking and appreciating advice, I have learned, can contribute to one's credibility, but don't harm it.

Offline nahualqo

« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2007, 02:21:05 am »
Still you are self appointed in your duties. I only made a polite suggestion not to fall into over enthusiasm so that you insult our sensibilities. If someone is abusing tribal knowledge, responsibility or wisdom that falls back upon the Nation to police their own people. I am not an authority on the practices of all tribal behaviors and practices and I can only speak in a general way. I agree with your interests in exposing frauds but I am not comfortable with you standing as judge and jury of another Native American if he or she is practicing their own traditions for foreign audiences. I agree with momma porcupine about defending against outright frauds. I haven't made a decision yet on those Native spiritual leaders bringing others into their practices in order to hold let's say sweat lodges. This is new knowledge to me and I have to think a long time on things like this before I find my heart to make a decision.

I need to hear from those that have instructed Non-Natives to officiate their particular cerimonies to understand their reasoning. I can agree with  Sweat Lodges if they keep the tradition with proper instruction and respect the tradition. I cannot agree with someone not recognized as a proper Lakota elder that has properly earned officiating an Inipi cerimony for instance.

There are many areas of our beliefs that really take special knowledge that few are able to understand or even be accepted spiritually by those spirits the cerimony invokes. We need special provenance that cannot be easily distributed among our people let alone others that haven't the background or belief system or reality architecture to absorb and respect these traditions. One cannot read a book or even face proper instruction and believe they can officiate our most sacred spiritual beliefs. I don't believe it is a reasonable expectation that one may blithely connect to what is most sacred.

I never acused you of racism. I believe that if you believe my meanings to mean that I accuse you of racism then you do not understand me. I am reluctant to accept your judgement against Native Americans as authoritative because you are not of their culture or tradition. We aren't like catholic missionaries, ideologues we have a great deal more flexibility to accept another's beliefs even those that are different from ours. However, any judgement that leads to shame is something that is powerful that should be weilded by those in authority to judge their offenses is any were made according their their tradition. I don't trust the judgements on two Lakota Medicine people spoken of as they have been acquaintenances of mine long time ago and they seemed like they respected their ancestors at the time. This speaks volumes to me, it speaks louder than initiating Non-Natives to officiate sweat lodges. I disagree however that anyone that has been taught to officiate that is a Non-Native can actually instruct other Non-Natives to officiate Native American sweat lodges.

Why don't they just take a sauna? Baring one's spirit or soul in the Sweat Lodge is not entertainment, I just don't get it. What's the allure?

Offline Ingeborg

• Friends
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2007, 04:27:28 pm »
Still you are self appointed in your duties.
I got invited here, and it has always been evident that I am not native.

I only made a polite suggestion not to fall into over enthusiasm so that you insult our sensibilities.
Excuse me, but I believe that terms like "McCarthyism" and "extremism" do not quite match the description of a polite suggestion.

I agree with your interests in exposing frauds but I am not comfortable with you standing as judge and jury of another Native American if he or she is practicing their own traditions for foreign audiences.
I am in no way 'standing as judge and jury'. I explained the criteria I use in my research. Furthermore, my activities here are mostly researching names that are mentioned in entries by other persons and trying to find out whether there are any activities in Europe. If you see this as over-zealous on my part, I suppose we have to agree that we disagree in this respect.

As far as I am concerned as a person and my motivation, conduct, and credibility are being questioned, I repeat: please do not hesitate to contact CERTAIN to inquire about me. You are also welcome to start a new thread in this forum and inquire what people here think of me and my contributions, and criticize my involvement publically and not just in this thread. As I have also been on the ndn-aim list for several years, you can also inquire there.

I also don't happen to be the only white person to contribute here, and I do wonder why you aren't voicing similar concerns over the activities of other white persons. So why is it you seem to be concerned over my contributions and motivation and not about others in a similar way?

frederica

« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2007, 08:18:36 pm »
I don't think anyone was extreme one way or the other. It is just research with what is available. Then it gets tossed around in a conversation until someone can validate what is being looked one way or the other. We all know that there is corruption of ceremonies, we all know that some are being sold to make a living. The Nations know this also, but there is little they can do except say do not do this. Some Nations Medicine People are paid for services and Ceremonies, some are not. But they are practiced on their own ground. When they are not, and sold for individual purpose and mixed with Nuage does it become questionable. Another questionable thing is when a individual becomes a Medicine Person in a week under the instruction of someone named "Thunder Chicken". It may require some research. frederica

Offline educatedindian

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2007, 10:04:53 pm »
Ingeborg, I don't think he was referring to you or the other non Natives, but to NDNs on the board.

Obviously some NDNs strongly disagree. Ironically we've had NDNs come to NAFPS before and accuse us of going easy on frauds who are actually NDN, saying just the opposite, that NDNs above all have no excuse.

This thread remains under Research for a reason. So far all I've seen points to him actually being Native and even having some knowledge, but still doing wrong by selling ceremony.

It might also help to remind everyone that we are from being McCarthy-like. McCarthy had the full power of the federal govt behind him, based his accusations on rumors, or on people being vaguely tied to people who had been vaguely tied to Communists.

Above all, McCarthy never found one single actual Communist, and he strted his witch hunt as a cynical ploy to get re elected. So I can confidently say there is absolutely nothing, zero, zip, we have in common.

Offline nahualqo

« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2007, 05:24:20 am »
I am glad that you feel that you have nothing in common with McCarthy. I believe that NDN's that have strayed should be counseled by their own people if possible. Even Sitting Bull played a part in the wild West shows. The point is, are they doing it as entertainment or are they doing it for serious acts of entering the Magical body for want of better English words. There just aren't proper English words that properly convey the real power and magic. It always ends up sounding misleading.

How can you convey what we believe when a people and a language don't have the proper words to properly explain and make stick what is real? Also, I believe we have had too much shame heaped on us by the colonial society to go around heaping it on each other publicly. Call me a soft touch!

Ingeborg, I don't think he was referring to you or the other non Natives, but to NDNs on the board.

Obviously some NDNs strongly disagree. Ironically we've had NDNs come to NAFPS before and accuse us of going easy on frauds who are actually NDN, saying just the opposite, that NDNs above all have no excuse.

This thread remains under Research for a reason. So far all I've seen points to him actually being Native and even having some knowledge, but still doing wrong by selling ceremony.

It might also help to remind everyone that we are from being McCarthy-like. McCarthy had the full power of the federal govt behind him, based his accusations on rumors, or on people being vaguely tied to people who had been vaguely tied to Communists.

Above all, McCarthy never found one single actual Communist, and he strted his witch hunt as a cynical ploy to get re elected. So I can confidently say there is absolutely nothing, zero, zip, we have in common.

Offline Moma_porcupine

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2007, 02:35:18 pm »
Even advertising a Sweat Lodge ceremony raises concerns . All the Elders I have known were horrified at people advertising ceremonies . There is a very strong feeling , the right way for people to come to a ceremony , is for people to come and offer tobbaco ask for help . There is reason things are done in this way .

Some of the links seem outdated , so I am not sure if Tim was actually charging for ceremonies , but if he was , there isn't much question this is wrong .  ( except in the minds of some people who support exploitation or don't know better )

If you look at the top of the "Research needed" page , "About this catagory" , it says ;

"Anyone whose website blatantly states a price being charged for a ceremony IS A FRAUD. Period. No research needed!"

And then there is this ;
http://www.newagefraud.org/
Native people DO NOT believe it is ethical to charge money for any ceremony or teaching. Any who charge you even a penny are NOT authentic.

If anything I think people here tend to give exploiters the benifit of any small doubt , and probably a lot of people posted other places,  rightly belong in the "frauds" catagory .

nahualqo

nahualqo
If someone is abusing tribal knowledge, responsibility or wisdom that falls back upon the Nation to police their own people.

nahualqo
I agree with your interests in exposing frauds but I am not comfortable with you standing as judge and jury of another Native American if he or she is practicing their own traditions for foreign audiences.

What you are saying is that non native people ( who are so often the only audience these frauds and exploiters can get ) , don't have the authority to make a judgement that someone is a fraud or an exploiter , even if they are selling ceremonies , and going against the wishes of their tribal Elders . You are also saying Native people and Elders who ARE authorities on their culture , who repeatedly say selling ceremonies is NOT OK , can't be supported by anyone except people in their own tribe .

If this is really  your opinion , it would make it impossible to stop exploiters from setting up buisness in any non native community.   

Selling ceremonies is not acceptable in almost all tribal traditions . The people who do this are almost always exploiters . Being involved with exploiters may be dangerous to peoples well being . But you seem to be suggesting non native people don't have a right to protect other non native people by educating people in their community how to recognize and avoid frauds and exploiters ?

nahualqo

Supporting traditional people and Elders in their request that the commercial exploitation of traditions stops , is not being "self appointed". If you haven't personally known any Elders who were upset by the commercialization of Spiritual traditions , I can only conclude you haven't known many ( or any ) Elders .

nahualqo
I agree with momma porcupine about defending against outright frauds.

We probably agree on some things , but I am just as opposed to exploitation as I am to outright frauds . By the sounds of many of your comments nahualqo , you aren't really clear why selling ceremonies and Spiritual traditions should be considered a problem at all  . 

http://newagefraud.org/smf/index.php?topic=1074.0

nahualqo reply #2
I am new here but I can sum things up pretty quickly. Not only are you involved with religious policing but you are attacking some people's livelihood.

Oh I see , if people are degrading Spiritual traditions by turning them into a commercial enterprise , and we say anything about it , we are ATTACKING their livelihood? 

nahualqo
I don't have any sympathy for those that are making money on our beliefs falsely but you have got to know that you are sticking your foot into two areas people most often hold sacred, their religious beliefs and their money and their money is usually the more sacred.

I really doubt anyone selling religion holds that religion sacred , which brings us back to your point about how mean and nasty we are , by getting in the way of people selling someone elses religion .

nahualqo
Also, you should not let yourself become extremists. Let the other side turn to extremism it ruins their credibility. Strategically speaking it is always best if you hold the middle ground where you can remain on solid footing with yourself and others.

If we support those Elders who say "OUR SPIRITUALITY IS NOT FOR SALE " we are extremists ? Are you suggesting the middle ground  would be agreeing people should be able to make "some" money selling ceremonies ? Even if ALL the Elders who are not known exploiters all say NO ? Again I am sure the exploiters would completely agree with your opening up an opprotunity for them . A "middle ground" . I resent being called an "extremist" for not supporting some peoples shallow monetrary self intrest .

nahualqo
I am reluctant to accept your judgement against Native Americans as authoritative because you are not of their culture or tradition.

nahualqo
However, any judgement that leads to shame is something that is powerful that should be weilded by those in authority to judge their offenses is any were made according their their tradition.
If someone is selling ceremonies , and Elders in their tribe say it isn't OK , those Elders DO have the authority to say that , and people have a right to support those Elders in their protests ,  whether exploiters like it or not . You would think anyone who actually cares about preserving uncorrupted traditions  would greatly appreciate any strong voice that supports the Elders and speaks out against those commercializing Spiritual traditions . Ingeborg does that really well . If you actually cared about traditions as you profess , I would expect you would support her , but instead you repeatedly say things that point to another agenda , one that opens the way for exploitation .

nahualqo
I need to hear from those that have instructed Non-Natives to officiate their particular cerimonies to understand their reasoning.

Maybe you need to hear from some of the communities and people who have been affected by these non Lakota who are leading Lakota ceremonies outside the Lakota community . If these Lakota Elders want these people leading Lakota ceremonies so much , why don't they keep them in the Lakota community ? It should be the community served that decides it's Spiritual leaders , not someone from somewhere else .

And what an interesting double standard - you are suggesting it is OK for tribal ceremonies to be passed outside the tribe , but then you declare that when this happens, no one outside the tribe , in the community where they come to be practiced , should have any role in policing them . Sounds like you are advocating to make things easy for exploiters to exploit without interferance . Is that your intention here?

Quote frederica
Some Nations Medicine People are paid for services and Ceremonies, some are not.

It would be helpful if you could specify which nations pay their Medicine people and for what services , and if these services are something that might be rightly sold outside the Nation . I know the Navajho are paid for conducting a sing , and Curandero's in South America are paid for personal assistance . Maybe you know some other examples ?  As we are trying to educate people how to recognize and avoid frauds and exploiters , and we repeatedly tell people charging for ceremonies is wrong , it kind of muddies the message to say some in Nations this is OK , without giving specific information . 
« Last Edit: March 21, 2007, 05:16:34 pm by Moma_porcupine »

frederica

« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2007, 05:14:10 pm »
Those are the only 2 that I know of. When a friend of mine son came of age, she had a Sing. It was costly. But a lot of that paid for many things, ie 5 day Ceremony, food, gas, and other things. And that was a long time ago. So beyond those two, I know of none. And any aside from those I view as personal gain. frederica

Offline nahualqo

« Reply #9 on: March 22, 2007, 12:27:30 am »
You are preaching to the choir momma porcupine. The minute you bring in elders like I suggested then you are bringing in the exact right people to make such judgements. It is the responsibility of elders of that tribe who are best at knowing what to do with their own people that stray. I don't believe in supporting exploiters in any way whatsoever, so let's get that clear. If you want to know what I am saying just ask me, don't paraphrase me with a stinger meaning something that I did not mean or say. I am not familiar with the European or Australian scene, I have a hard time keeping up with my local scene.

I believe that if non-Natives wish to illuminate a situation with a NDN, then do so with the tribal elders. Get to the bottom of things but also get input from what the elders wish to do. If the elders give counsel to allow non-Natives authority to act in their behalf, that is the elders right. Acting in communion with elders in a case by case basis I whole heartedly agree, in fact that would make me feel a whole lot better.

It has been my experience that non-Natives are too readily available to make mischief on Native Americans and to prevent any semblance of impropriety, communicate with the elders of the tribe and let them know exactly what you are doing and bother to get their support before taking specific action!

I personally have never encountered anyone charging money for sweats. I have never experienced someone charging money for cerimonies. I don't cruise the internet sites looking for it either. If you say it is going on then I am willing to take your word for it. However, that in no way construes my behavior as supporting or agreeing with such behavior.

Just because you are able to lay out your argument with a critical eye and whip around with Cartesian logic that would make Descartes proud does not mean you have answered the real question, should you shame the person or should the elders speak with those in error. I am really big on trying to talk sense with people first before I bring out the big guns.

I don't know about your family, but my family has been through quite enough hell for me to learn a more peaceful outlook towards solving important problems. If someone is selling phony cerimonies that have no basis in fact is there a crime being committed against any tribe? I believe that we create our own worlds. If someone is abusing and selling things that they shouldn't, there is a spiritual component that will kick in no matter what we say and do that will be harder to get out from under than anything we might say.

I am not your judge, I am asking for you to judge yourselves. It is you who must be aware of the outcomes of your actions because being right doesn't always prevent you from doing wrong. Wisdom and patience prevent us from falling into any pitfalls our ego and self importance may trip us into. I would first apprise people of their duties and responsibilities before using the big guns of shame, that is all. I have no authority to persuade you to do anything that you are not already doing. It is your own conscience that will dictate your feelings about yourself and what you are doing. I am not in your shoes, I do not know what you are seeing and doing. Thereby I am only asking for wisdom from you all to know the difference between what is real, factual and necessary and what is false and destructive!

Even advertising a Sweat Lodge ceremony raises concerns . All the Elders I have known were horrified at people advertising ceremonies . There is a very strong feeling , the right way for people to come to a ceremony , is for people to come and offer tobbaco ask for help . There is reason things are done in this way .

Some of the links seem outdated , so I am not sure if Tim was actually charging for ceremonies , but if he was , there isn't much question this is wrong .  ( except in the minds of some people who support exploitation or don't know better )

If you look at the top of the "Research needed" page , "About this catagory" , it says ;

"Anyone whose website blatantly states a price being charged for a ceremony IS A FRAUD. Period. No research needed!"

And then there is this ;
http://www.newagefraud.org/
Native people DO NOT believe it is ethical to charge money for any ceremony or teaching. Any who charge you even a penny are NOT authentic.

If anything I think people here tend to give exploiters the benifit of any small doubt , and probably a lot of people posted other places,  rightly belong in the "frauds" catagory .

nahualqo
I believe it is important that you retain your credibility by refusing to go into extremism against Native Americans. McCarthism is passe. Unless you are from their tribal culture and you have the authority to judge another Native American from within their unique tribal beliefs, I would suggest to err on the side of

leniency where Native Americans are concerned.

nahualqo
If someone is abusing tribal knowledge, responsibility or wisdom that falls back upon the Nation to police their own people.

nahualqo

What you are saying is that non native people ( who are so often the only audience these frauds and exploiters can get ) , don't have the authority to make a judgement that someone is a fraud or an exploiter , even if they are selling ceremonies , and going against the wishes of their tribal Elders . You are also saying Native people and Elders who ARE authorities on their culture , who repeatedly say selling ceremonies is NOT OK , can't be supported by anyone except people in their own tribe .

If this is really  your opinion , it would make it impossible to stop exploiters from setting up buisness in any non native community.   

Selling ceremonies is not acceptable in almost all tribal traditions . The people who do this are almost always exploiters . Being involved with exploiters may be dangerous to peoples well being . But you seem to be suggesting non native people don't have a right to protect other non native people by educating people in their community how to recognize and avoid frauds and exploiters ?

nahualqo

Supporting traditional people and Elders in their request that the commercial exploitation of traditions stops , is not being "self appointed". If you haven't personally known any Elders who were upset by the commercialization of Spiritual traditions , I can only conclude you haven't known many ( or any ) Elders .

nahualqo
I agree with momma porcupine about defending against outright frauds.

We probably agree on some things , but I am just as opposed to exploitation as I am to outright frauds . By the sounds of many of your comments nahualqo , you aren't really clear why selling ceremonies and Spiritual traditions should be considered a problem at all  . 

http://newagefraud.org/smf/index.php?topic=1074.0

nahualqo reply #2
I am new here but I can sum things up pretty quickly. Not only are you involved with religious policing but you are attacking some people's livelihood.

Oh I see , if people are degrading Spiritual traditions by turning them into a commercial enterprise , and we say anything about it , we are ATTACKING their livelihood? 

nahualqo
I don't have any sympathy for those that are making money on our beliefs falsely but you have got to know that you are sticking your foot into two areas people most often hold sacred, their religious beliefs and their money and their money is usually the more sacred.

I really doubt anyone selling religion holds that religion sacred , which brings us back to your point about how mean and nasty we are , by getting in the way of people selling someone elses religion .

nahualqo
Also, you should not let yourself become extremists. Let the other side turn to extremism it ruins their credibility. Strategically speaking it is always best if you hold the middle ground where you can remain on solid footing with yourself and others.

If we support those Elders who say "OUR SPIRITUALITY IS NOT FOR SALE " we are extremists ? Are you suggesting the middle ground  would be agreeing people should be able to make "some" money selling ceremonies ? Even if ALL the Elders who are not known exploiters all say NO ? Again I am sure the exploiters would completely agree with your opening up an opprotunity for them . A "middle ground" . I resent being called an "extremist" for not supporting some peoples shallow monetrary self intrest .

nahualqo
I am reluctant to accept your judgement against Native Americans as authoritative because you are not of their culture or tradition.

nahualqo
However, any judgement that leads to shame is something that is powerful that should be weilded by those in authority to judge their offenses is any were made according their their tradition.
If someone is selling ceremonies , and Elders in their tribe say it isn't OK , those Elders DO have the authority to say that , and people have a right to support those Elders in their protests ,  whether exploiters like it or not . You would think anyone who actually cares about preserving uncorrupted traditions  would greatly appreciate any strong voice that supports the Elders and speaks out against those commercializing Spiritual traditions . Ingeborg does that really well . If you actually cared about traditions as you profess , I would expect you would support her , but instead you repeatedly say things that point to another agenda , one that opens the way for exploitation .

nahualqo
I need to hear from those that have instructed Non-Natives to officiate their particular cerimonies to understand their reasoning.

Maybe you need to hear from some of the communities and people who have been affected by these non Lakota who are leading Lakota ceremonies outside the Lakota community . If these Lakota Elders want these people leading Lakota ceremonies so much , why don't they keep them in the Lakota community ? It should be the community served that decides it's Spiritual leaders , not someone from somewhere else .

And what an interesting double standard - you are suggesting it is OK for tribal ceremonies to be passed outside the tribe , but then you declare that when this happens, no one outside the tribe , in the community where they come to be practiced , should have any role in policing them . Sounds like you are advocating to make things easy for exploiters to exploit without interferance . Is that your intention here?

Quote frederica
Some Nations Medicine People are paid for services and Ceremonies, some are not.

It would be helpful if you could specify which nations pay their Medicine people and for what services , and if these services are something that might be rightly sold outside the Nation . I know the Navajho are paid for conducting a sing , and Curandero's in South America are paid for personal assistance . Maybe you know some other examples ?  As we are trying to educate people how to recognize and avoid frauds and exploiters , and we repeatedly tell people charging for ceremonies is wrong , it kind of muddies the message to say some in Nations this is OK , without giving specific information . 

« Last Edit: March 22, 2007, 01:02:54 am by nahualqo »

Offline debbieredbear

• Global Moderator
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #10 on: March 22, 2007, 01:48:28 am »
nahaulgo,

if you have never encountered ceremony sellers, good for you. I have met more than one, unfortunately. One, I have been asked by tribal members of that person's tribe, to do what I can to expose  him. Others prey on friends off mine and I try to clue them in. Myself, I was almost raped by one of these creeps when I was young and naieve. In a perfect world, we would not have to have a site to expose frauds.  But this is not a perfect world. The ones who sell ceremoioonies to gullible non-Indians are promoting stereotypes. Then, when the non-NDN finds they have been taken in, many turn and blame it on NDNs. That is a form of racism. I am not for sticking my head in the sand and going "lalalalala. I don't see that bad person over there!"

Offline Moma_porcupine

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #11 on: March 22, 2007, 02:06:05 am »
nahualqo
I don't believe in supporting exploiters in any way whatsoever, so let's get that clear.

Maybe you don't mean to support exploiters but your continuing insistance that people charging for ceremonies need to be dealt with on a case by case basis , or we might be being unfair , would seem to imply you believe charging for ceremonies might be OK in some situations . If we know the Lakota tribe does not agree with charging for ceremonies , it really isn't necessary to ask them every time there is someone who is charging for a Lakota Sweat Lodge ceremony , if this is still not OK , or if they have changed their minds yet .You say you don't support exploitation but you contantly critize our efforts to stop this .

Isn't that a double message ?

nahualqo
I personally have never encountered anyone charging money for sweats. I have never experienced someone charging money for cerimonies.

Interesting that you admit to having absolutely NO experince in this , in yet you feel you have a right to give us advice on how to proceed .

nahualqo
Acting in communion with elders in a case by case basis I whole heartedly agree, in fact that would make me feel a whole lot better.

Assuming the people selling ceremonies have had any contact with Native people , most of these people who get posted here , who are selling ceremonies , HAVE been repeatedly confronted by Elders . These people who are charging for ceremonies don't care . They lie . They KNOW what they are doing is totally in disrespect of both the Elders , and the traditional teachings , but they continue . If you expect Elders are going to be able to show up every time someone starts charging for ceremonies , to gently remind them of their duties and responibilities you are dreaming . Especially as these exploiters are usually operating outside a Native community  . Elders have other things to do . If someone is charging for traditional ceremonies and teachings there is a problem . If you respect what the Elders have to say about this , it seems you would be willing to support them , without expecting them to perform the impossible task of addressing every single incident of abuse individually .
« Last Edit: March 22, 2007, 02:08:03 am by Moma_porcupine »

frederica

« Reply #12 on: March 22, 2007, 02:38:33 am »
The people that are NDN and selling, this does get back to the Nation, and it is dealt with. But it is not always successful. One of the problems is a lot of these people selling Ceremonies are questionable themselves. Many have no legimate ties to a Nation, Tribe or Band. Many no one is familiar with. I have never heard of at least half of these people here and in Europe. I quit taking things at face-value years ago, and will check it out first. A good example is this "Firewalker", claims to be Cherokee in Luxenburg. Ingelborg found one of his sites. Mostly Nuage, plus a mixture. One things I am still pondering is he offers "teen vampire". I have no earthly idea what that is. I don't think anything we have needs to be mixed with whatever that is. frederica

Offline nahualqo

Re: McCarthyism/Extremism/Who Should Intervene
« Reply #13 on: March 22, 2007, 05:32:14 am »
Why are we continuing to have this conversation? I don't support fraud nor the selling of cerimonies. My suggestion is to seek redress from Native American misuse of cerimonies by involving the elders of their tribe! If they are outright frauds then call the police. If they are rapists, call the police! If I have the moral courage to seek proper input by Lakota elders when real Lakota Native American spiritual people are selling cerimonies why on earth are you reactive? If you are in support of Native American leadership then you have a stronger case. What gives? It seems to me that you are defending irresponsible actions that take elders out of the loop! If you are keeping elders in the loop then you are satisfying my moral points raised! Enough already or I will believe that you want to act without any elder support whatsoever!

nahaulgo,

if you have never encountered ceremony sellers, good for you. I have met more than one, unfortunately. One, I have been asked by tribal members of that person's tribe, to do what I can to expose  him. Others prey on friends off mine and I try to clue them in. Myself, I was almost raped by one of these creeps when I was young and naieve. In a perfect world, we would not have to have a site to expose frauds.  But this is not a perfect world. The ones who sell ceremoioonies to gullible non-Indians are promoting stereotypes. Then, when the non-NDN finds they have been taken in, many turn and blame it on NDNs. That is a form of racism. I am not for sticking my head in the sand and going "lalalalala. I don't see that bad person over there!"

Offline Freija

• I Love YaBB 2!
Re: McCarthyism/Extremism/Who Should Intervene
« Reply #14 on: March 22, 2007, 09:26:29 am »

I believe that if non-Natives wish to illuminate a situation with a NDN, then do so with the tribal elders. Get to the bottom of things but also get input from what the elders wish to do.

Nahualqo, I am European and I understand your points - well, as far as a non-Native can understand. I have some questions - not because I want to argue about this, but because I´d like to do things in a way that shows respect to Indian people.

The worst abuse, I would say, is here in Europe. How do I get hold of the tribal elders of a certain fraud? If I ask him of a name, he would mention another fraud. Even non-Native ceremonyleaders refer to Native exploiters as their elders.

Say I get a name (which rarely happens), most elders are not on the Internet. So do you mean I should call them in US? Do I call every time I see an advert promoting a pay-to-pay ceremony? Do I call for each incident? These frauds usually keep far away from their elders and even their people.

Traditional Lakotas have asked me to do whatever I can to stop the exploitation of their ceremonies in Europe. Does this mean I have to call the tribe of a a Native person, who is not Lakota, when he is selling Lakota ceremonies?  You know, most exploiters in this country selling Lakota ceremonies are not Lakotas. Do I have to call his tribe? Or is it enough with him doing Lakota ceremonies?

Or - because most of us over here could not afford to keep calling USA and we don´t know where to call - is it better to ignore the abuse? 

Thanks for your time  :)