Author Topic: Multidisciplinary Association for Psychedelic Studies (in my State)  (Read 5423 times)

Offline AlaskaGrl

Multidisciplinary Association for Psychedelic Studies
http://www.maps.org/
http://www.maps.org/news-letters/v16n3-html/who_we_are.html

The Multidisciplinary Association for Psychedelic Studies (MAPS) is a membership-based, IRS-approved 501 (c) (3) non-profit research and educational organization. We assist scientists to design, fund, obtain approval for and report on studies into the risks and benefits of MDMA, psychedelic drugs and marijuana.
MAPS' mission is to sponsor scientific research designed to develop psychedelics and marijuana into FDA-approved prescription medicines, and to educate the public honestly about the risks and benefits of these drugs. Read our strategy statement for more information. 
We need your support so together we can make a difference. In addition to general membership donations, MAPS is seeking to raise funds for specific research projects. These are our funding priorities and here are our financial reports.

For background reading, see MAPS President Rick Doblin's doctoral dissertation (Harvard, Kennedy School of Govt., 2001) "Regulation of the Medical Use of Psychedelics and Marijuana," visit our media and audio/visual archives, or peruse the latest issue of the MAPS Bulletin and our monthly news update. 

http://www.maps.org/news-letters/v16n3-html/who_we_are.html
« Last Edit: February 22, 2007, 09:04:14 pm by Lindaa »

frederica

Re: Multidisciplinary Association for Psychedelic Studies (in my State)
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2007, 06:33:28 pm »
Yea, and I think Tim Leary and another Harvard gent tried that in the 1960's with LSD. Made for some interesting spider webs, but did little otherwise. There was talk of giving people with Alcohol Addiction some insight into behaviors. But never really proved true. Marijuana has been used as a pain-killer, but it's as effective as Cobra and Bee vemon. Mostly used for advanced Cancer patient.  frederica

Offline AndreasWinsnes

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2007, 07:42:33 pm »
I support research on entheogens, but the problem with MAPS and Heffter is that they give a link to a website which not only gives advice about how to shoot heroin safely but also publish recipees for making amphetamin. You can read stories about great experiences with heroin. I wrote an email to Maps about this, and they replied that this website is OK because it also provides valuable information. That shows poor judgment.   

frederica

« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2007, 04:47:16 pm »
I believe that is how they got into problems the first time this was donein the 60's. It turned in to more abuse that useful. I do remember The Instutite of the Living in Hartford Conn. did most of the research. It was mostly LSD. And revolved around if it affected creativity, productivity, and developing insight. It ended up being more preception that real. Nothing really changed or improved. They also tried it in relation to Schizophrenia. It just didn't give any promise. frederica

Offline Barnaby_McEwan

« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2007, 11:24:02 pm »
Timothy Leary: A Biography
by Robert Greenfield

Greenfield, award-winning biographer of Jerry Garcia and Bill Graham, paints another '60s portrait in this scathing account of counterculture hero and LSD guru Timothy Leary (1920-1996). Largely based on interviews with Leary's friends and acquaintances, this book offers a highly detailed and decidedly ugly portrayal of a pathologically selfish, narcissistic yet complex man who lacked basic qualities such as empathy and compassion. Worse, Leary, the cynosure of the psychedelic movement, who preached the power of LSD and other drugs to expand human consciousness and foster change, fails to exhibit the capacity for inner growth.