Author Topic: Would "Band" be a proper name for a heritage group?  (Read 7440 times)

Offline E.P. Grondine

• Man and Impact in the Americas
Would "Band" be a proper name for a heritage group?
« on: October 14, 2009, 01:40:02 am »
I wonder if "band" would be a proper name for a heritage group?

Offline BlackWolf

Re: Would "Band" be a proper name for a heritage group?
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2009, 02:15:39 am »

It would not be a proper name because the word "Band" would infer that that particular group is somehow related politically and culturally to what ever Nation we are talking about.  For example, you have the Cherokee Nation in Oklahoma, and the Eastern Band of Cherokee Indians in NC.  The Eastern Band HAS maintained a continuous existence as a united Cherokee people since removal.  After the Trail of Tears, they continued to maintain a Cherokee identity, and were politically organized with leaders and Chiefs. Heritage groups are'nt bands.  They are just a group of people who have Cherokee heritage.

Their ancestors chose not to maintain a Cherokee idenity, and for the most part intermarried with the surronding population for the last 150-200 years.  Any Cherokee identity or culture in their line of ancestors was lost a long time ago.   

Offline bls926

« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2009, 02:19:01 am »

No. Famlies make up Clans in some Nations and Bands in others. Clans and/or Bands make up a Nation/Tribe. Why would it be okay to call a heritage society a Band?

What's wrong with club or society?

Offline earthw7

• Standing Rock Tourism
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2009, 03:31:47 am »
The Lakota-Dakota-Nakota nations are divided into bands
In Spirit

Offline Superdog

« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2009, 04:01:51 pm »
How about "heritage group" as a proper name for a heritage group????  Just a thought.....

Offline BlackWolf

« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2009, 07:19:17 pm »
Even heritage group may be too generous.  One would assume a heritage group of any culture would accurately depict the culture that their members claim to have heritage from.  The majortiy of these Cherokee heritage groups do not accurately depict Cherokee culture and heritage from what I can see.  It would be like a Lakota/Dakota/Nakota Heritage Group promoting Stomp Dances, having Blow Gun Tournamets and their men walking around with Turbans, and their women walking around with Tear Dresses and shell shakers.  Then to top that off, they give themselves made up Cherokee sounding names like Dirteater, Kingfisher, and Grasshopper.

Offline LittleOldMan

« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2009, 10:47:03 pm »
Something else that I have noticed some have divided up into clans.  Cherokee clans are matriarchal in design if your mother was a clan member then you would become a member of that clan.  If your mother was not Cherokee but of another tribe you would be clan less. Even though a FBI. or so I have been told.  "LOM"   
Blind unfocused anger is unproductive and can get you hurt.  Controlled and focused anger directed tactically wins wars. Remember the sheath is not the sword.

Offline E.P. Grondine

« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2010, 12:40:21 pm »
The Lakota-Dakota-Nakota nations are divided into bands

Then it clearly would not be okay, IMO.

Please remember that the Cherokee are Cherokee, and while their experience if theirs, others may have the same problems. That said, tha CNO's current solution appears to be failing. You may not like Tennesee's  state recognition process, but there are more voters of Cherokee descent than Fed recognized Cherokee living there.

The questions are easy, the answers hard; not mine to give; and not the same for each people.

Thank you all for sharing your information with me.

Offline dabosijigwokush

« Reply #8 on: September 23, 2010, 11:21:36 pm »
even calling one self a heritage society is incorrect

A society or a human society is (1) a group of people related to each other through persistent relations such as social status, roles and social networks. ...

and beings you just started , where is the persistent relations
you may say you know someone ,but in fact , you may only  know of someone
can you trust these people with your life, your money, your wife, your children, your home
if not then they are only aquatints, not even friends, i trust my friends

Offline E.P. Grondine

« Reply #9 on: October 13, 2010, 07:59:32 pm »

No. Famlies make up Clans in some Nations and Bands in others. Clans and/or Bands make up a Nation/Tribe. Why would it be okay to call a heritage society a Band?

What's wrong with club or society?

How about "association"?