Author Topic: Gowa Peshewa - Doc Macaki Peshewa relative?  (Read 5765 times)

Offline Bahesmama

Gowa Peshewa - Doc Macaki Peshewa relative?
« on: January 13, 2022, 04:45:23 pm »
Anyone know if this Gowa Peshewa who was recently featured in Tribal Business News (https://tribalbusinessnews.com/sections/entrepreneurism/13753-neon-moon-to-spotlight-indigenous-roots-of-cowboy-culture-celebrate-native-artists) is any relation to late Dr. Macaki Peshewa of the fake Tennessee Indian Council?

There was a thread here about Macaki Peshewa AKA Jerry Dills. Here is his obituary: https://www.legacy.com/us/obituaries/knoxnews/name/macaki-peshewa-obituary?id=14101721

We couldn't find any ties between Gowa and his children. She was born in 1991 and has apparently scrubbed personal information off the internet. We think this is her legal name because she received a federal PPP loan under that name.

Offline Sparks

Re: Gowa Peshewa - Doc Macaki Peshewa relative?
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2022, 05:32:29 am »
https://tribalbusinessnews.com/sections/entrepreneurism/13753-neon-moon-to-spotlight-indigenous-roots-of-cowboy-culture-celebrate-native-artists

That link is also in this Facebook post: https://www.facebook.com/nativenewsonline/posts/5367421403271338

Native News Online
January 10 at 11:41 PM
Gowa Peshewa hopes to educate her community about Native American topics and create a safe place for Native people with her new Neon Moon coffee saloon concept, which she bills as a social enterprise. Our Tribal Business News affiliate has the story.

The comments are mostly very critical as to Gowa Peshewa's claims of being Shawnee. The article itself has been edited:

EDITOR’S NOTE: In an initial interview for this story, Gowa Peshewa said she was a Shawnee woman. She later clarified to Tribal Business News that she is not a member of any federally recognized Shawnee tribe, but does come from mixed Indigenous ancestry.

Then I found a Facebook Page called "Fake Indian Blog Fans": https://www.facebook.com/fakeindians/

They also have a website: https://ancestorstealing.blogspot.com/

At the Facebook page, I found this post: https://www.facebook.com/fakeindians/posts/2948663302113113

Fake Indian Blog Fans
January 13 at 3:05 PM

Gowa Peshewa is not Shawnee nor does she have Native American ancestry.   She is a granddaughter to Macaki Peshewa who was a part of the Fake group calling themselves "United Remnant Band of Shawnee in Ohio" founded by the well known fraud,  Jerry "Hawk" Pope.

https://tribalbusinessnews.com/sections/entrepreneurism/13753-neon-moon-to-spotlight-indigenous-roots-of-cowboy-culture-celebrate-native-artists
https://www.legacy.com/us/obituaries/knoxnews/name/macaki-peshewa-obituary
https://ancestorstealing.blogspot.com/2015/05/jerry-hawk-poplerevisited.html
https://ancestorstealing.blogspot.com/2015/08/known-fake-shawnee-tribes.html

If correct, that will answer this question:

Anyone know if this Gowa Peshewa who was recently featured in Tribal Business News … is any relation to late Dr. Macaki Peshewa of the fake Tennessee Indian Council?

Offline Bahesmama

« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2022, 09:05:31 pm »
Wow! Thanks! How do they get themselves featured so quickly? And how could a Navajo journalist not ask the right questions?

Offline Sparks

« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2023, 01:56:33 am »
There was a thread here about Macaki Peshewa AKA Jerry Dills.
Here is his obituary: https://www.legacy.com/us/obituaries/knoxnews/name/macaki-peshewa-obituary?id=14101721

My bolding. In my previous post here, I forgot to point to that thread, which is here:

http://www.newagefraud.org/smf/index.php?topic=2210.0
["Native American Church" Strawberry Plains TN, Jerry Dills AKA Peshewa]

Offline Sparks

« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2023, 02:51:11 am »

Wow! Thanks! How do they get themselves featured so quickly? And how could a Navajo journalist not ask the right questions?

I don't know the answers to these questions. I will note that the article you linked to in the first post was published January 10, 1922. Some weeks before that, on December 2, 2021, Gowa Peshewa was featured in another no-guestions-asked article:

https://wpln.org/post/a-forthcoming-native-american-owned-coffee-shop-hopes-to-make-it-easier-to-support-indigenous-communities/

A forthcoming Native American-owned coffee shop hopes to make it easier to support indigenous communities
Nashville is slated to get a new Native American-owned coffee shop and marketplace, called Neon Moon. Its mission is to make supporting the indigenous community as easy as buying a cup of coffee.

It’s the project of an East Nashvillian, who’s well known by her first name alone — Gowa.

Two links in there: https://neonmoonnashville.com/ [NEON MOON Local Indigenous Initiative]

where we’re going
Neon Moon began as an idea to bring indigenous representation to the industries of our local community in Nashville, TN. What started as a fundraising campaign, grew into a bootstrapping business plan for a coffee shop, and has since been reworked into something more “recession proof”.

Thanks to the generous support and patience from our community, we have continued to provide accessibility to coffee beans from indigenous farmers through e-commerce and local businesses. As we realized that without investors - there was a slim chance of surviving the oversaturated coffee house market in music city, we also witnessed so many legendary and heroic local businesses forced to close their doors during and post pandemic.

After a lot of thought and communication with our local small business community, we realized leasing out a building from a developer without investors was not a sustainable idea, and that the core of the mission has to be focused on owning our own land for Tennessee and future generations of our indigenous youth. Through the early phase of fundraising, to second phase of operating as e-commerce and local coffee sales, we are working towards obtaining our own property to include land for indigenous stewardship.

With a focus on protecting the land from development, and nurturing a cyclical nature with the local ecosystem, the land will eventually provide elements necessary for small agriculture opportunities like indigenous farming techniques and animal rescue. The next phase of our initiative will be to own land, to become regenerative and fully sustainable. Not only will we be creating a home for cyclical nature with the land, but we have plans on how we will continue to provide opportunities for indigenous representation in the music and entertainment industries we work in.

Also Gowa Peshewa's Instagram account: https://www.instagram.com/gowagram/ (Looks much like a fashion show.)

Exactly what kind of "indigenous representation" and how "supporting the indigenous community" will take place I cannot find specified anywhere in these websites (unless it's hidden in obscure ways in the Instagram site). — Is it a scam?

Offline Sparks

Re: Gowa Peshewa AKA Gowa Gram
« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2023, 03:18:49 am »
I found this, with another surname. The top picture is also in the Instagram account mentioned in my previous post:

https://www.gofundme.com/f/indigenous-woman039s-coffee-shop-for-social-justice

Indigenous Woman's Coffee Shop for Social Justice
Gowa Gram is organizing this fundraiser. $16,133 USD raised of $17,000 goal
This is an opportunity to help an Indigenous woman honor her ancestral purpose by opening a fair-trade and inclusive coffee shop for patrons of all demographics.

This mission will provide an outlet for everyday people to contribute towards indigenous communities, while celebrating traditions of harvesting organic coffee beans and the Maya regenerative farming practices that heal the earth. By establishing this collaboration, we are creating a harmonious cycle of renewed hope and brotherhood between the general american consumer, the earth, and its indigenous peoples.

“As an Indigenous woman my dream is to bridge the gap between modern consumerism and sustainability for Native American and Indigenous peoples. I want to give my city an opportunity to directly financially support Indigenous communities and empower them. I will unite my passion for preserving our heritage and honoring traditional First Nations ancestry by partnering with indigenous cooperatives who provide sustainable certified organic coffee beans with no pesticides or contaminants. All packaging is 100% compostable and recyclable to reduce harm to the environment. With each purchase of coffee at our establishment, you will directly impact the lives of indigenous people and contribute towards healing the earth. Every donation directly contributes to the livelihood of indigenous coffee growing communities.”

The purpose of this business is to bring a tangible way for local and visiting patrons of Nashville to support Native American and Indigenous peoples with a convenience that accommodates all lifestyles. Creating this brick and mortar coffee-shop will provide the accessibility for customers to contribute towards social justice for Indigenous communities on a regular basis, while increasing sustainable practices through actionable habitual efforts.

Proceeds from each coffee purchase goes to social justice for indigenous people by means of:
 - Honoring and healing the earth
 - Self-sufficiency and political independence
 - Sustainable development of rural communities
 - Child welfare, including education & nutrition
 - Defense of indigenous cultural identity
 - Education in organic agriculture

By donating towards and sharing this fund, you become a valuable ally to Indigineous communities. You uplift the voices of Indigenous peoples. Your support is unparalleled.

Updates (1) January 31, 2021 by Gowa Gram, Organizer
Thank you so much for sharing and contributing to this mission! With the help of our community we are well on our way to making this dream a reality.

So far we have the business plan mapped out, initial framework for the company formed and all the legal filings completed. We are in pre-opening phase as we check things off our to-do lists.

As business logistics are being completed, we hope to secure the shop location in March and begin remodeling in April.

Coffee samples are in and we are so excited to be working with our Indigenous cooperative partners, supporting social justice for the families who farm together on their own lands. Harvesting the coffee itself is an act of love for our planet as the farmers use ancient traditions to heal the earth.

Upon opening, we are so excited to feature Indigenous artists each month, giving folks an opportunity to directly support Indigenous creators and buy their handmade pieces at our shop. Additionally we will be donating a percentage of our sales to specific Native communities each month. Preserving Native and Indigenous heritage and giving folks an opportunity to support these communities is the forefront of our mission.

We will continue fundraising for the next few months, hopefully reaching our goal by spring and we dream of opening by early summer.

Please continue to share our mission with friends and family who want to be involved in supporting Native communities and Indigenous peoples. You are an ally. We couldn’t do it without you!

Again, no hints of which indigenous people(s) she is referring to, not even when it comes to herself, the "Indigenous Woman".

Offline educatedindian

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: November 26, 2023, 02:36:07 pm »
"Peshewa" hired a law firm and is making noises about suing. Which of course doesn't make her sound nervous at all about her claims being questioned.

Below is their two emails followed by my two responses.

---------
Dear Sir or Madam:   
I am writing to you on behalf of Ms. Gowa Peshewa regarding false and derogatory statements published on  your site  about Ms. Peshewa’s race, ancestral lineage, and character.  Such action  can be construed as libel since you have expressed in written or other graphic form statements that tend to injure Ms. Peshewa’s character or reputation and thereby expose her to public hatred, contempt, or ridicule.   

You are hereby given formal demand to remove all of such libelous statements from publication within seven (7) days and cease and desist from publishing such statements.  If you continue to make such statements, Ms. Peshewa will have no alternative but to file suit against you for libel and to seek the full measure of her damages as permitted by law. 
Very truly  yours,   
Merritt,  Webb, Wilson & Caruso, PLLC   
Shandi L. Fleeman

---------
Ms. Peshewa hereby renews her demand that you immediately remove such libelous statements from publication within forty-eight (48) hours and cease and  desist from publishing such defamatory statements in the future.   

Ms. Peshewa remains desirous of an amicable resolution in this matter; however, if you fail to timely resolve this matter with removal of the defamatory statements, Ms. Peshewa may be forced to pursue further legal action.  You may forward your written confirmation of the resolution of this matter to our office.  Thank you in advance for your immediate attention.

----------
 This must be a record for incompetence by a law firm So many errors that a first year law student, or even the average layman, would not make.

1. It's been black letter law for over 50 years that either pointing out or arguing someone is a race or ethnicity other than what they claim is NOT libel. Only a racist who hates other races or believed them inferior would claim it is.

2. "Peshewa" is under Research Needed for almost two years. She's not under Frauds. At least not yet. That's because she's gone to some effort to hide her legal or birth name.

3. All the information in the Research Needed thread is reposted from other sites, including her own claims. Perhaps she should send empty legal threats based on bad lazy research to herself. Or to the many others who questions her claims.

4. So far all evidence points to her being a Rachel Dolezal type imposter. Her relatives are or were very obvious frauds, Jerry Dill and "Macaki." They were part of obviously fraudulent organizations, TN Indian Council, Remnant Band Shawnee, and NAC Strawberry Plains.

It takes all of five minutes to see that any of these organizations are either whites who are obvious imposters or whites who kid themselves based on dubious family stories. Your research is incredibly lazy, if you did any beyond naively taking her word.

5. Didn't the fact that she carefully avoids naming any alleged tribe set off alarms for you? Didn't her dressing in a bad imitation of Plains Indian regalia rather than as local tribes actually wear set off alarms? Or are you that ignorant of the most basic things about the claims of your client?

6. We do welcome all information that could clear up these matters. If she could give her actual legal birth name and her tribe, that would go a long way.

We'd also gladly post any statement of hers in the thread.

I'm going to post these emails between us so all can see.

It's also quite telling that she claims to be raising funds for public education and a nonprofit, but can afford a law firm.

------------
As a follow up I forgot to include in the previous email:

We have quite good genealogists. If "Peshewa" hasn't researched her claims of ancestry (clearly, her law firm lazily never did) we could do them for you .

Most white southerners with claims of Native ancestry actually have Black ancestors, usually because of a slaveowner who raped his slaves. They then tried to hide their Black ancestors because of their self hating racist shame at being part Black. This certainly would fit with her screaming "Libel!" the way segregationists and other white supremacists once did.

Truth is an absolute defense to libel. That's been black letter law for some time. We have no falsehoods on our site. In over 25 years we have never been sued. But we get empty threats to sue all the time that always lead to nothing.

We have members from dozens of tribes all over the US, Canada, Latin America, and Pacific Islanders, including  academics, activists, and members of tribal and band gov'ts. We are widely used as a resource by universities, museums, news organizations, and people from all walks.

But then you would already know this if you actually read our site or researched us. So you may wish to actually question your client instead of wasting everyone's time some more.

We hope she'll be honest and tell us her legal birth name so we can research her family history and settle this matter.

Offline Sandy S

« Reply #8 on: November 28, 2023, 09:45:04 pm »
I want to make sure we capture this comment on an earlier posted Facebook link https://www.facebook.com/tribalbusinessnews/posts/entrepreneur-gowa-peshewa-hopes-to-educate-her-community-about-native-american-t/446211660494573/

"I messaged a woman in our community that I had been buying products from, that had long used photos of Gowa to promote her products. I expected they were close, but did not know they had known each other since they were young girls. I won’t share everything because some of it would be even more damaging beyond Gowa’s Shawnee claims, but she did admit that Gowa was raised in the community, by a man that ‘tricked’ an entire group of people into thinking he was Shawnee. Then the goes on to defend Gowa’s actions because of the psychological damage inflicted by him, giving her a pass to profit off of Shawnee claims because she cannot hold Gowa accountable due to this twisted environment. "

Offline Sandy S

« Reply #9 on: November 28, 2023, 09:53:45 pm »
Public records:

Name:    Tennessee Show Pony, LLC

Formed in:    TENNESSEE    Delayed Effective Date:    
Fiscal Year Close:    December    AR Due Date:    04/01/2024
Term of Duration:    Perpetual    Inactive Date:    
Principal Office:    GOWA PESHEWA
5025 SAUNDERSVILLE RD
OLD HICKORY, TN 37138 USA

------------

Parcel Details
Wilson County, TN | Tax Year 2024
County Information
County Number: 095
Reappraisal Year: 2021
Property Owner and Mailing Address
January 1 Owner
CHANDLER KYLE FYFE ETAL
GOWA PESHEWA
5025 SAUNDERSVILLE ROAD
OLD HICKORY TN 37138

----------

Gowa Peshewa in Nashville, TN received a Paycheck Protection Loan of $4,046 through Southeast Community Capital Corporation dba Pathway Lending, which was approved in April, 2021.

-------

The name "Gowa Peshewa" isn't really turning up anything useful through usual people searches. She's using that name apparently legally now but I've no luck so far finding birth name.

"Owner
CHANDLER KYLE FYFE ETAL
GOWA PESHEWA" might be a clue. I'll keep searching.

Offline Sandy S

« Reply #10 on: November 28, 2023, 10:17:43 pm »
Her corporation Tennessee Show Pony, LLC has two active assumed names: Neon Moon, Neon Hi-Voltage Saloon.
Gowa Peshewa is the only member, only registered agent.

Offline Sandy S

« Reply #11 on: November 28, 2023, 11:13:25 pm »
Her Facebook uses the name "Ace Gram" https://www.facebook.com/idontridebikes The page itself has very little public but is referred to often by others when tagging "Gowa Peshewa".