Author Topic: TaiChiJohn  (Read 3738 times)

Offline TaiChiJohn

TaiChiJohn
« on: March 08, 2017, 01:23:26 am »
Hi!

TaiChiJohn here — doubt many would remember me, as my only time spent here was speaking in defense of Pete Bernard some years back.

Then as now, I have some very ambiguous feelings about this group, BUT, I am not here to talk about my feelings.

I am here to point out my newly remade website, which is about the form of image writing traditionally used by the First Nations of North America.

I'm not a member of a First Nation — I'm started out as one of those white males, and then I turned into one of those old white males.

Anyway, I'm not going to say anything more except, if you want to have a look at my research (you probably will) and speak your mind about what you see (as you always do), then I will post whatever you want to say on my website (I have a section still open on the "Links" page, in a column on the right hand side). I reserve the right to reply to any comments, but I'll post your assessment as presented here.

I might need to edit for length; but I'll be adding more links over time so that shouldn't be a problem, really.

My site is: OriginOfWriting(dot)com

John Barclay-Morton   

Offline Defend the Sacred

• Global Moderator
Re: First Nations image writing
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2017, 08:26:43 pm »
This does not belong in welcome and news. If you read our site you'd know that.

Offline Defend the Sacred

• Global Moderator
Re: TaiChiJohn
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2017, 08:31:51 pm »
Do you plan on paying the First Nations people you're trying to get to write for your website?

Offline TaiChiJohn

Re: TaiChiJohn
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2017, 08:55:22 pm »
I am offering a place in the space I have created for you to say what you want, in your own voice. This is consistent with what our newspaper "NOISE" did in Vancouver back in the early 1990s, when I started into this research project: instead of reporting upon First Nations issues, we simply gave over space to members of the First Nations so that they could report from their perspective, and write upon issues that involved them (issues we were the only outlet giving coverage to) — such as a land claims trials that had been decided against them, due in part because (to paraphrase the judge) 'they had no written language that would establish a continuity of ownership or land, such as recognized in these courts.' That decision was later struck down by the Supreme Court of Canada — but the decision was not reversed, it was simply negated. So I've continued to work on this project.

You can take my offer to say what you want on my website, or not.

I am interested in what you might say, for a number of reasons; one of which is, that I have come to realize the dynamics which drive the "Social Justice Warrior" movement in North America are a strange mixture of the Continental post-structural critiques I have worked with all my life — which are grounded upon the analysis of specific circumstances regarding any specific set of circumstances — and the universalist approaches of the human rights movement in North America.

It's an issue I have long encountered, having had to argue at length that the specific rights of the First Nations do not abrogate the universal rights of others who try to claim that their rights are somehow curtailed by the rights of others; but it is an argument that is never won on the grounds of universalism, since in any case there are no rights that have not been hard fought for an won in specific circumstances.

So yes, I will look to any reply you might have in that context.

If you don't feel comfortable saying what ever you want to say about my research to my face in front of others who might look at what I am doing, then I won't post your assessment on my site.

I also won't take what you might have to say very far into consideration.