Author Topic: For Those Who Recently Discovered Indian Ancestry  (Read 63196 times)

Offline NeoPaleo

Re: For Those Who Recently Discovered Indian Ancestry
« Reply #30 on: October 17, 2013, 06:53:14 pm »
This is the discussion that led me to join your community.
"Skin Color" used on a legal form are a legal fiction, skin color is not a race.

Epiphany

« Reply #31 on: October 19, 2013, 05:17:44 pm »
This is the discussion that led me to join your community.

Have you read the entire thread?

Offline NeoPaleo

« Reply #32 on: October 19, 2013, 05:44:55 pm »
I have read everything, including writing be the same people on different forums.
I had been a "lurker" a long time before I joined.
"Skin Color" used on a legal form are a legal fiction, skin color is not a race.

Epiphany

« Reply #33 on: October 19, 2013, 05:56:16 pm »
I have read everything, including writing be the same people on different forums.
I had been a "lurker" a long time before I joined.

There is excellent information in this thread, including in the very first post:

My advice is first, practice patience. For people who haven't grown up around the cultures, it can be frustrating to experience Indian Time for the first time. You need to learn there are good reasons communities and elders have for not telling new people everything they want to know right away, esp since they've been burned so many times before. Learn to appreciate the contrast between this and the fast-food no-waiting convenience-above-all mentality mainstream America has. It will take years for any NDN community to get to know and trust you, but it will be well worth it. In the meantime, why not think about doing something to earn that trust? Look for a way to help the people of your newly discovered heritage. It can as simple as being willing to listen and spend time with elders.

If I ever discover that I have distant heritage, the wisdom in this thread will be wonderful guidance.