Author Topic: Just received this by email  (Read 17773 times)

Offline 180IQ

• The Caretaker
  • I never sleep
Just received this by email
« on: November 30, 2004, 06:30:39 pm »
TO WHOM IT MAY CONCERN:

When I met Roy ["Littlesun"] Steevensz I had spent more than 20 years in close relationship to the Hopi people and especially the people in the village of Hotevilla. I had heard from a good friend that Roy was a "master healer".

My very first personal impression on meeting Roy was one of disbelief as I could intuit instantly that he was not a balanced or benevolent man.

Furthermore, that same day Roy affected behavior during a meal in a Hopi home that was out of sync with the place and the situation. He behaved in an inconsiderate way, verbalized egotistically and quite obviously presented himself as some kind of "holier than thou" individual.

None of this was lost on the Hopi women who were offering their hospitality and their food. Roy openly disdained some of the food, which among the Hopi is the gravest offense and display of ingratitude.

Roy and his companion moved into a trailer on the property of Rena Murillo just outside the village of Hotevilla and assumed the care and healing of Rena's elderly father, Titus. On one of my first visits to them there I noticed that Roy was carving figures of Hopi dieties with the idea of selling them. This was a bad sign.

Further, Roy was talking with great bluster about the village affairs with the attitude that he would assume some authority in the village and bring to bear his own plans about how to correct problems and who should be village leaders. I advised him to mind his own business and stay out of local politics and conflicts. He refused, claiming that he alone had a mandate from God to give advice and guidance to the Hopi.

From this point on Roy brought trouble, ignorance, disrespect and stress to many people. He sought and misused funds which he claimed was for the benefit of the Hopi people. He moved onto Titus's cornfield and proceeded to set himself up in the "healer-prophet" business which attracted many abberrant people.

He had plans for creating commercial enterprises on the land. He conducted his own religious "ceremonies" and started building his own "kiva", all of which demonstrated clearly to the Hopi and to others who understand the Hopi Way, that he had no comprehension whatsoever of the Hopi, their faith or their teachings.

n the meantime, he used and abused an elderly man who was exposed to people and places unhealthy for him and foods to which he was unaccustomed. Roy used Titus as his dancing monkey for some years. This caused great pity and distress for many of the people in Hotevilla.

I was present at a meeting called by the women of Hotevilla village where they, as a group, and representing the entire village, asked Roy in their traditional and very polite way, to please leave their land. He did not listen to these gentle women and responded with posturing, disrespectful language and tone and grandiose behavior. He told them that he would never leave, that he was right in all things and that they were more or less damned and doomed, the more so for not listening to him.

This meeting left me with sadness for the suffering of the women. All they wanted was to remove this demented man from their lives. They had and have many other internal and external sources of stress.

The Hopi have experienced the intrusion of thousands of curious, seeking, non-Hopis of every stripe: educators, missionaries, anthropologists, writers, historians, hippies, new-age air-heads, Cherokee princesses, movie-stars, druggies, false prophets, loonies and lost souls. They can spot a phony and a fraud coming from 50 miles away. Most of the trouble-makers do not stay long. Others, comprehending the Hopi message, have served in effective ways in assisting traditional Hopi to bring their urgent message to the world.

Roy, however, refused to go away. His meals were unpalatable, unattractive and lacking in spiritual essence. His attempts at playing doctor caused more harm to innocent people.

From observing Roy Steevensz for long periods of time and in my own home as a guest, it is my opinion that he is not only a fraud but possibly insane and verging on evil. It is a significant matter that he goes all over the world misrepresenting himself as a Hopi spokesperson and giving out a message that in no way reflects the true meaning of Hopi Navoti. He has been spitting on the Hopi, their beliefs and culture and spreading lies and terrible distortions.

I understand that he is still collecting money for his travels and activities, and I urge anyone coming in contact with this man to stand up to him, call him what he is and spend no time, energy or money to assist his irreverent and self-serving schemes. As of this moment I myself have the perhaps unkindly wish to confront him again in person and perhaps force him to crawl on his knees over dry ground until he meets himself head-on.

I will be happy to respond to any inquiries as I cannot include here all the harmful events set in motion by this man.

Hazel Hatnenn - tianquismx@hotmail.com
« Last Edit: January 01, 1970, 12:00:00 am by admin »

Offline educatedindian

• Administrator
Re: Just received this by email
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2004, 05:26:42 pm »
I wrote to Hazel and just heard back from her. She's given her permission to post her whole letter online as a warning on both our sites, and is willing to answer any follow up questions from anyone.  

She also added the following below. Pat and Trish, could you add the two emails as an additional warning on our sites when you get the chance?

-----
Subject: RE: From NAFPS Re: Roy Steevensz
Date: Wed, 01 Dec 2004  

First and foremost Roy arrived at Hotevilla, Third Mesa, Hopi Traditional Homeland, with no background and no cultural understanding. He arrived with a personal plan and agenda which did not take into consideration the lives and dignity of the Hopi people. This demonstrated to me that regardless of his "spiritual" and "macrobiotic" front, he was a rather racist, ignorant and egotistical man. Little did he know, due to his own blindness, that everyone in the community could see him for what he was from the beginning. However, as is often the case, self-serving persons in the community gave him a foot-hold whereby he could maintain his spot in Hopi for a long time. The damage he did was intense. Again, his very ignorance of Hopi, blinded him to the foolish and sacriligious things he did and said. First, if he had had the humility to listen to the Hopi he would have been aware that he was disregarding them and exhibiting blatant blasphemy and distain. He essentially tried to set up his own peculiar "religion", collect funds and followers right on Hopi land. This is about like some nut walking into a Catholic Church and proceeding to perform his own services at the altar and proclaiming himself the Pope if not Christ Jesus himself.

The Hopi have become accustomed to odd-balls and quacks over many years of observation. Roy was a rare phenomena. He was too rude to depart when asked. It is commonly accepted that the Hopi name for themselves is translated "peaceful people". Actually, the closer and more correct translation is "the polite people" or "the people of good manners." This would include having the manners not to stay where you are not wanted. A person of good manners does not walk into another's home and proceed to give orders, criticism and moral instruction.

I will be glad to reply to any questions that I can answer from my direct observations. I will state that the man is ignorant, disrespectful, dictatorial, a fraud, dangerous to vulnerable people, a liar, a hypocrite, a blasphemer, a phony, a cultural thief and abuser. Closer to Hitler than to any indigenous concept of Holy Man or Spokesperson. I hope he is soon stopped from using the name of Hopi in any way.

Hazel Hatnenn

TrishaRoseJacobs

« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2004, 10:12:37 am »
It'll be up in an hour or so.

I'm in a mad rush to get everything together.

Offline 180IQ

• The Caretaker
  • I never sleep
Hazel has passed on - R.I.P.
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2006, 06:27:11 am »
July 7th, 2006 - I am quite late in posting this but did want to let you all know that Hazel has gone.

She was on her way back to her home in Mexico after a visit with her family in the U.S. She stopped on the way and was sleeping on the roof of her friend's two-story home due to the heat inside the adobe structure with no a/c. Apparently H. awoke during the night to relieve herself and in her groggy state forgot where she was, and just walked off the roof, hit the ground and died on the spot.

A huge memorial service was held at our good friend John Waddell's ranch in Cornville, AZ. I didn't know about it in time, however Hazel's sister told me there were hundreds of her friends and family in attendance.

Hazel lived about half of the previous year (2005) on Third Mesa in Hopiland. Her primary home was in Mexico from late 1997 until her death. Prior to that she had lived in Clarkdale, Arizona since about 1970. She was originally from North Carolina. She had many friends among the Navajo and Yavapai Apache as well as the Hopi. She will be greatly missed. She was only 66 years old when she died.

One day if I can find it I will post here a copy of a poem she wrote. It was one of my favorites. She was a prolific writer of not only poetry.

Offline chiefytiger

« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2008, 02:09:43 am »
Much saddness for one who tried to let ppl know of whats going on in Hotevilla . May prayers be sent to family and friends for such a great loss of a awsome women ....
Chiefytiger

Offline 180IQ

• The Caretaker
  • I never sleep
Re: Hazel has passed on - R.I.P.
« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2009, 03:34:10 am »
Today while moving some of my books, I found Hazel's book of poetry and scanned the one I mentioned above.

One day if I can find it I will post here a copy of a poem she wrote. It was one of my favorites.

Here it is, finally....

http://newagefraud.org/images/hhpoem.jpg

Offline Dreamfish

« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2009, 04:33:27 pm »
Hi Pat,

thank you for posting Hazel's poem, it really is very powerful and moving. You mentioned it came from a book of her poetry. I would dearly like to read more of her poetry and I wonder if the book is published and if so, can I please know the title and ISBN?

I would like to share it with some Indigenous youth I know who are exploring creative writing and self-expression.

cheers

Dreamfish

Offline 180IQ

• The Caretaker
  • I never sleep
« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2009, 06:01:18 pm »
Hazel self-published the book I have. What I will do is ask permission from her daughter, to scan and make available all of the pages. The rest of the poems are just as good.

Offline Dreamfish

« Reply #9 on: January 26, 2009, 02:44:23 am »
Thank you very much Pat,

I would really value the opportunity to read her works and meet her spirit a little bit, through her words.

kind regards,

Dreamfish
« Last Edit: February 01, 2009, 12:10:31 am by Dreamfish »