Author Topic: Zoe Lani Sayer / "Morning Star Standing Tall"  (Read 5584 times)

Offline bonestyx

Zoe Lani Sayer / "Morning Star Standing Tall"
« on: January 30, 2008, 10:01:35 pm »
This one doesn't appear to be selling ceremony, but she uses claims of adoption by four different nations to peddle her art.

http://www.earthaboveskybelow.com/artist.html

Morning Star~Standing Tall was the name given to her by her adopted Grandfather. She has been an Arizona resident since 1991. Although her ethnic background is primarily French Huguenot, Zoe has been honored by four Indian Nations over the years. "I consider these events an enormous and amazing honor. It was however, never anything I ever sought out, and it was always so astounding to me that these wonderful associations seemed to come to me in an unexpected and serendipitous way." She has been adopted by the Cherokee, the Tuscarora (Huron), the Hopi, and the Dogrib.

In another unexpected event, the Phoenix Indian Services finally recognized her Chippewa (Chipewayan) Native American/Canadian background in 1993. Her work involves an understanding of, and dedication to the idea that we must all take an active and responsible role in healing the Earth and ourselves. She has always been fascinated with, most notably, Native American cosmology and sacred art forms, and it has long been her greatest desire to honor, through her own work, all her Native American/Canadian Brothers and Sisters, and all that Walk, Crawl, Swim, Fly and Grow to the Light.

She does, however, claim to be selling "sacred bundles":

http://www.earthaboveskybelow.com/bundles.html

So many of these people in Arizona....*sigh*

Leonard

Re: Zoe Lani Sayer / "Morning Star Standing Tall"
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2008, 10:22:53 pm »
This person is also making reference to some sort of Lakota 'medicine pouch'. You will need to ask 'earthw7' what this person is talking about - this I think is an 'appropriation' of some sort:

' Necklaces and pouches containing materials thought to have magical powers such as special rocks known as "Wotais and Wotawes" in the Lakota Sioux language, included all kinds of stones, Crystals, and even Shells.'

' Necklace/bundles that I have created in the Native American tradition are known as Medicine Necklaces, Power Pieces or Honor Pieces or all three. They bring an ancient cosmology into contemporary design and application. '

Leonard.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2008, 11:17:41 pm by Leonard »

frederica

Re: Zoe Lani Sayer / "Morning Star Standing Tall"
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2008, 01:05:51 am »
They look like newage nonsence. I guess you can call that artistic license, confusiion, or up to your knees in whatever.