Author Topic: NO LONGER A MATTER OF CONCERN: Zara (Barbara L. Bolstad) Washington state  (Read 31774 times)

Epiphany

Shamanic Adventures 101 with ZARA
In this FUN totally experiential class you will:
*Learn about Shamanism and how to experience Shamanic Journeys safely.

*Learn to enter a traditional Shamanic Trance and go to the upper and lower inner worlds

*Find and experience your Power Animals & receive your powers from them

*Discover your personal Power Symbols & how to use them 

Visa and MasterCard accepted

She opens her sales pitch with an apparent quote from a Tulalip tribal member.

http://zarasangels.com/zarasangels/Shamanic_Journeys.html

These days, in the modern new-age subculture in western Washington, shamans are seen as the healers who apply Native American techniques in their efforts to clear, and to heal.
(my bolding)

http://zarasangels.com/zarasangels/Angelic_Shamanism.html

Washington State Credentials
(under Legal name Barbara Bolstad)
Hypnotherapist Registration          # HP10001434
Counselor Certified Certification # CL60170454

(Her credentials are current and active.)

http://zarasangels.com/zarasangels/ZARAs_Resume.html

Also does "Secrets of Hawaiian Huna - Traditional Hawaiian Shamanic Healing" with Michael B. Gershman RN, BCH

http://healingyourlifeseminars.eventbrite.com/

http://www.linkedin.com/pub/michael-gershman/10/2a4/68

The two of them have a hypnosis business http://doublehypnosis.com/doublehypnosis.com/Home.html (the site doesn't seem to be fully functional)

« Last Edit: June 07, 2013, 04:13:23 pm by educatedindian »

Offline Pono Aloha

Re: Zara (Barbara L. Bolstad) Washington state
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2012, 06:01:57 am »
While learning Hawaiian HUNA practices, students use a pendulum to assist in communication with their subconscious Basic Self in order to receive the assistance of their superconscious High Self.  This allows the students to influence their health and circumstances in their lives.

Hawaiians traditionally do not use pendulums. Nor do Hawaiians traditionally believe in the Three Selves, of which the Basic Self and High Self are two. This is nuage and Freudian psychology.

Offline educatedindian

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2012, 09:14:40 pm »
Her resume shows an incredible hodgepodge of Hinduism, Nuage pseudo-Native, Huna, tarot, reiki, pop psychology, even get rick quick schemes.

Esp a very twinkie version of Christian beliefs, with ideas about angels straight from greeting cards. Angels in the Bible were usually messengers of doom, cities vanishing, people turned to salt by them, demons slain. Not cute little babies with wings.

And of course, claims of being psychic. Which always leads me to wonder why she doesn't play the stock market or Vegas instead of thrashing around with jobs in dozens of places.

--------
Trance-Channel Medium  & Angel Advocate
Psychic, Instructor, Author
METAPHYSICS, SPIRITUALITY & PSYCHIC DEVELOPMENT

20+ Year Disciple of Paramahansa Yogananda  with Daily Meditation/Yoga/Prayer practice
         Self-Realization Fellowship (SRF)
Sunday Meditation Service Leader (10 years)
       & Sunday School Teacher       (3 years)
     Self-Realization Fellowship of Seattle WA

Received Kriya Yoga the highest level of meditation in SRF—1979

Ordained Minister: Spiritual Healers and Earth Stewards - 1995
        Awareness of Life Church of Everett   - 1998

Trance-Channel Medium...
Psychic Angel Reading...

Metaphysical/Spiritual Classes Include
Angels in your Life
Channeling the Angels of Light
Crystals and the Healing Power of Gemstones
Discovering the Tarot
Dream Interpretation
Gnostics & the Gospels of Mary & Thomas
Huna - Hawaiian Shamanism
Hypnosis and Hypnotherapy
Light and Color Therapy
Mastering the Tarot
Meditation – Your Daily Practice
Metaphysical -Trancework
Past Life Regression
Pendulum Response Training
Psychic Development
Reiki I, II, & Masters
Shamanic Journeys
Sound/Vibration Therapy
Spiritual Counseling Training
Spiritual Development
Success and Prosperity Workshop
Tarot Symbolism
The Teachings of Yogananda
Victims No More - Surviving & Thriving

-------

Her official state credentials have me wondering...

------
Washington State Credentials (under Legal name Barbara Bolstad)....
                      National Guild of Hypnotists 1997 to 2002

--------
So why no longer a guild member?

----------
Hypnotherapy Instructor at Everett Community College, Continuing Education

Assistant Instructor of Hypnotherapy - 2000 to 2003
Certified Hypnosis/Hypnotherapy Instructor - 2003 by Roy Hunter of Alliance Self-Empowerment Inc.
EvCC Hypnotherapy Instructor          - 2003 to 2005
Team-teaching with Michael Gershman RN, BCH

300 Hour - Professional Hypnosis & Hypnotherapy Training Program Of Everett Community College
   Basic Hypnosis                               (50 hours)
   Intermediate Hypnotherapy             (50 hours)
   Advanced Counseling Hypnotherapy (50 hours)
   Medical/Dental Hypnosis                 (50 hours)
   NLP & Ericksonian Trancework         (50 hours)
   Metaphysical Trance-work               (50 hours)
                                               total : 300 hours

-----------

That's not as impressive as it sounds. Typically a BA is about 120 hours, but she sure is not three times as trained as that. These courses are mostly four weeks each.
The Everett catalog does list Basic Hypnosis and a single course called Hypnotherapy, that's it. No advanced, no Med/dental hypno, no trancework.
And typically, colleges and universities don't hire someone who went to their school.
I also wonder why she no longer works there, stopped after 6 years.

Epiphany

« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2012, 11:13:53 pm »
http://branchout.com/Zara.Angel

I teach classes that I have developed including Psychic Development, Spiritual Counselor Training, Reiki, Crystal Healing, Hypnosis for Weight Loss and Shamanic Journeying

I am a Certified Counselor, a Certified Hypnotherapy Instructor and Clinical Hypnotist. I help people change their negative patterns and get into a happier, more productive and meaningful life and I have also co-taught Basic Hypnosis, Hypnotherapy, Advanced Hypnotherapy, NLP, Medical Hypnosis and Metaphysical Trancework in Everett Community College from 2001 to 2004.

In my Hypnosis practice, I use Clinical Hypnosis techniques including NLP, (Neuro Linguistic Programming), EFT (Emotional Freedom Technique), EMT (Eye Movement Therapy), and the direct hypnosis methods of Charles Tebbetts. In 2003, I achieved Certified Hypnotherapy Instructor (C.H.I.) from Alliance Self-Empowerment, Inc., and I received a Specialty Certification in Complementary Medical Hypnotism, (2000) from NGH Continuing Education in New Hampshire.

Much more of her bio on that link above.

Charles Tebbetts http://www.durbinhypnosis.com/tebbets.htm

Alliance Self-Empowerment Inc http://www.royhunter.com/

Emotional Freedom Technique http://www.garythink.com/ (includes Course in Miracles stuff)

Twitter @ZarasAngels https://twitter.com/zarasangels

As an Angel Reader, I help Incarnated Angels & other people find out what their purpose is and teach them how to thrive in this earthly reality!

I imagine people who believe they are incarnated angels are probably going to feel entitled to anything they want, including culture rip-offs. And this could make clients feel like they need to keep coming back to Zara for more, since she recognizes them as the incarnated angels they are.

Epiphany

« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2012, 11:27:17 pm »
Ordained Minister: Spiritual Healers and Earth Stewards - 1995

http://www.shes.org/ Seattle, WA

SHES does not issue "minister's licenses." Nor does SHES register new minister's names with any state or national authority. SHES is a religious organization totally separate from any civil government. SHES provides a system whereby persons nominated by a member congregation can be ordained as ministers and/or appointed as Certified Spiritual Healers or Diplomats of Earth Stewardship.

I've been out of touch with nuage stuff for 20 years or so, but is Bolstad's bio the norm? So many workshops and classes and certifications in fields all over the nuage map?

Offline Defend the Sacred

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2012, 11:33:02 pm »
I imagine people who believe they are incarnated angels are probably going to feel entitled to anything they want, including culture rip-offs. And this could make clients feel like they need to keep coming back to Zara for more, since she recognizes them as the incarnated angels they are.

Wow. Good point.

I've been out of touch with nuage stuff for 20 years or so, but is Bolstad's bio the norm? So many workshops and classes and certifications in fields all over the nuage map?

Well, the "many teachers" thing, and "certified/trained in many disciplines" thing are both very common in these sorts' bios. I'm not sure why they think it should impress people, because to me it reads, "Dabbler. Dilettante. Has no stable community; is not operating within the checks and balances of real community."

« Last Edit: July 30, 2012, 11:36:06 pm by Kathryn »

« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2013, 10:32:35 pm »
Hi,
I am writing to assist you in your research of me and my spiritual/business practices. You seem to want to know if I’m a New-Age Fraud.  I am here to clear up some misunderstandings, answer questions publicly and hopefully get moved to the “Non-Fraud” category where I believe I belong.  Your site seems to take the position that all New-Age spiritual teachers and counselors are frauds. While I would disagree, I would also place myself solidly as part of the New-Thought movement, out of which grew Unity Church, The Church of Religious Science, and the entire “self-help/personal development” movements. And, yes (educatedindian), Napoleon Hill was a New-Thought author.

Fraud requires intentional deception for personal gain.  I don’t do that.  Please note, I’ve been in practice, helping those who request my help, for over 15 years and there are NO complaints about me on the internet anywhere. None. That’s quite a record. Over 4000 clients, over 500 students and not one person complaining about me on the internet where complaints are free and easy. Please note that I’m not the only ZARA on the internet.

I let everybody know who I am and what I do up front.  I came by my beliefs honestly and I am honest with everyone about them. The hourly rates I charge for spiritual counseling are clearly shown on my website. As is my no-risk satisfaction guarantee. No Deception = No Fraud.

Growing up in LA, California, many New-Thought/New-Age/Hindu beliefs and practices like yoga, karma, and meditation were taught to me at an early age. I was introduced to the “blended Hinduism & Christianity” of Paramahansa Yogananda (a Swami recognized and honored by the Indian government) by a relative, and through the Self-Realization Fellowship, became a disciple of his for over 20 years. I helped lead the Sunday Meditation Services in Seattle for 10 of those years. For many years I had a daily multi-hour Kriya-Yoga Meditation practice during which I sometimes had visions of Angels. One of Yogananda’s books is “How You Can Talk with God”. I use the same techniques to talk with Angels. I do still have a daily meditation/yoga practice, though I no longer need to practice for multiple hours at a time.

Two of the current definitions of shaman are “someone who contacts a spirit world while in an altered state of consciousness” and “someone who contacts a spirit world while in an altered state of consciousness at the behest of others”. These are not be the only definitions but by these definitions, I am a shaman. I’ve been called an “Angel Shaman”, I suppose to differentiate me from the traditional/tribal shamans.

My “hodgepodge”  (educatedindian) of beliefs come from a variety of primary sources, from Yogananda and Swedenborg to the New-Thought movement and spiritualism, mixed generously with my own personal experiences.  Please note that none of my primary sources pillage indigenous cultural traditions. The shamanism of Michael Harner and the Huna of Max Freedom Long (MFL) were never primary sources for me and I’ve gone out of my way to teach the techniques while avoiding cultural pillaging.

I have NEVER claimed to be an American Indian of any kind or tribe. I do not, nor have I ever led any American Indian ceremonies or rituals. I don’t do that. (epiphany) Elenor Nielsen was an Elder of the Tulalip Tribe who was my student in the full year long series of Hypnotherapy classes at EvCC.  After she completed the Metaphysical Trancework class, she wrote that testimonial for me.

I was taught to guide “shamanic journeys” by Dr. Michael Harner - who I recognize is not on your approved list. However it should be said that every time I guided a class through a “shamanic journey”, it was clearly explained that these were the techniques taught by Michael Harner. They were simply taught as the shamanic journey techniques of Michael Harner.  I never called them either Siberian or American Indian Shamanism.  We also discussed the Hero’s Journey as written about by Joseph Campbell. No Deception = No Fraud.

In a similar way, every time I taught a Huna class it was clearly described as information and techniques as taught by Max Freedom Long. While (Pono Aloha) is right that MFL’s theories are New-Age and not truly traditional Hawaiian, no-one denies that he popularized them as being Traditional Hawaiian to the point that if someone is looking for information about Huna on Google they type in the words “Hawaiian Huna”. That simply identifies what they are looking for.

The pendulum techniques MLF taught came straight from the 18th century mesmerist/hypnotist Anton Chevreul, a varietion of which is still taught in the basic hypnosis class of the NGH (National Guild of Hypnotists).  The Low-Self he took from Freud and the High-Self he took from the New-Thought movement which took it from Classical Yoga.  Pono Aloha’s upsetness at how Huna is taught stems from it being taught as “Genuine Old Traditional Hawaiian”.  Pono Aloha acknowledges that the Huna of MFL is NOT a part of his Hawaiian cultural traditions, and yet it IS clearly a part of my New-Thought movement traditions. Indeed, I could even claim that Serge King and the rest are pillaging my New-Thought traditions when they teach Huna as Hawaiian. I wouldn’t of course because the New-Thought movement doesn’t claim property rights to it’s traditions. Which is also why the New-Age movement has borrowed from it so extensively.

There are millions of people who believe in and want to investigate some aspects of the New-Thought/New-Age movements and I feel I should be allowed to teach the beliefs and techniques to those requesting the experiences without being called a fraud.  As long as they know what they are asking for and there is no deception, there is no fraud.

Please note that on my new website, AngelReadingsbyZARA.com , I am not promoting any live classes that cost anything this entire year (2013). This entire year, all my monthly webinars are free and next year, 2014, they are all only $5. Go-To-Webinar.com charges me to do these webinars. I really don’t think my asking $5 for attending next year constitutes fraud. The webinars are not rituals or ceremonies. They are me talking about a topic and sometimes doing a guided visualization to assist understanding. This is part of how I tithe my time for those who want greater understanding but cannot afford my one-on-one private rates.

As for some of the misunderstandings, (educatedindian): I AM still a member of the NGH. I never left. 1997-2002 were the years I was an officer of the local Washington state chapter of the NGH.

The hours in the 300 hour Hypnotherapy Training Program were 300 “contact hours” for which Everett Community College granted CEUs. These are classes I taught through the Continuing Education Dept. of EvCC with Michael Gershman. Continuing Education  works on the “contact hour” not the “College Quarter Hour” or “Semester Hour”. When I (and Michael Gershman) stopped teaching there, they stopped offering the advanced hypnotherapy training classes we taught. That’s why you didn’t see them when you looked.  We stopped because they wanted to lower our per student reimbursement rates. Then they hired one of our former students to teach the basic classes.

As for the depth and breadth of the variety of classes I’ve taught; for years I used to teach a weekly Wednesday evening class on New-Thought/New-Age Spiritual Topics. I taught what I was interested in and I taught what my students asked about. That list is actually edited down quite a bit.  Most ministers, priests, and rabbis who preach and teach on a regular basis will have a similar length to their list of topics taught after more than a decade.

As for my “twinkie version”  beliefs about Guardian Angels, you (educatedindian) might be surprised how mainstream they are. Over 1/2 of all adults believe in Guardian Angels according to a survey by Baylor U. An August 2007 Pew poll showed that 2/3 of all Americans believe that “angels and demons are active in the world” and 1/5 said they had a personal experience with an angel or demon.  You are right about many of the Angels in the bible being “messengers of doom”, but modern America prefers the Guardian Angel concept which is also clearly present in both the Old and New Testament. 

And yes (epiphany) I do believe some people are born with an angelic soul.

In the interest of satisfying the “Research Needed”, have I answered all your questions?

Sincerely
ZARA

Epiphany

« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2013, 01:57:34 am »
Barbara, your post here looks like an ad to draw attention to your site.

Have you read http://www.newagefraud.org/
http://www.newagefraud.org/smf/index.php?topic=3838.0
and http://www.newagefraud.org/smf/index.php?topic=236.0 including:

1) It is not only wildly inaccurate, it is also disrespectful to try to lump together literally tens of thousands of different tribal beliefs together under "shamanism". Not even most Siberian peoples use the term.

2) It is frankly wishful thinking to try and pretend:
a. a haphazard bunch of practices stolen from tribal traditions...
b. by an unrelated collection of lost people...
c. usually led by those who often got their "advanced" training at a weekend seminar...

have any similarity whatsoever to tribal traditions that are:
a. built up over many generations with great care b. by people with common lineage and culture
c. led by tribal elders who are trained for DECADES, not over a weekend.

To me the "shamanism movement" is more accurately termed the would-be shaman movement, or in the case of many of its more exploitative leaders like Michael Harner, the pseudo-shamanism bunch.

3) In the end, "core shamanism" is wishful thinking, a way of justifying theft of tribal traditions and practices by falsely claiming they are "universal". Outside of incredibly broad things like belief in a deity or afterlife, that just isn't ever true. 

And incidentally, they should realize that Michael Harner is a pariah to both his former profession, anthropology, and to Native people.

I also welcome any questions they care to send me, or any discussion on the forum.
Dr. Al Carroll
History Department
St. Phillip's College
Co-founder, NAFPS

As someone who was formerly a New Age /New Thought believer, who lives in W Washington, I encourage you to drop anything to do with "shamanism", "Huna", or anything else related.

You've taken down http://angelreadingsbyzara.com/zarasangels/Angelic_Shamanism.html
http://angelreadingsbyzara.com/zarasangels/Shamanic_Journeys.html

You still offer:

Huna – Hawaiian Shamanism
Shamanic Journeys

Why?

Just because you can do these things, just because you can justify and explain them, doesn't mean you should. Just because we as white folks can grab things, mix them up, sell them - doesn't mean we should do so.

« Reply #8 on: April 29, 2013, 05:26:49 am »
Hi Epiphany,

First:
I wrote a 1465 word reply to respond to your questions about me and my spiritual/business practices. If I had simply wanted to draw attention my new website, 1) I wouldn’t choose to do it on a page calling my ethics into question, that wouldn’t make sense and 2) I only mentioned the website once in the 12th paragraph of a1465 word response. If I had done it to draw attention the website, the website would have been mentioned in the first line and then liberally throughout. I obviously did not do it to draw attention my new website - which you will notice is not mentioned by name in this response.

Second:
Yes I have read them. That’s how I knew Michael Harner was not on your approved list, and  that Pono Aloha quoted Dr. Hall saying “Huna “bears absolutely no resemblance to any Hawaiian world view or spiritual practice”, both of which I commented on in my above response.

Third:
I think you are confusing a Resume listing of classes taught in the past with a current class offering. I do not still offer Huna - Hawaiian Shamanism nor do I still offer Shamanic Journeys. At your suggestion I have now removed them from my resume.
I have also removed all mention of both Huna and Shamanism from my testimonials and from my separate blogs.

Fourth:
I have no classes over the next two years involving either Huna or Shamanism. If you look at my list of upcoming webinars you will see what I’m teaching on for the next two years. You will see nothing there on either Huna or Shamanism.

Fifth:
The two pages you say I took down were never on my current website. They were on my old website that came down months ago. For the benefit of those who wanted to read my writings, I used to post my published articles on my website, each on it’s own separate page. As the format is different, they were never moved to my new website. And I will make sure they never do.

Sixth:
I have responded to all your questions and comments. I hope to have demonstrated successfully that I am not a “New-Age Fraud” and that I’m not pillaging cultural traditions.

Sincerely,
ZARA

Offline educatedindian

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: May 01, 2013, 12:11:45 am »
Hi,
I am writing to assist you in your research of me and my spiritual/business practices. You seem to want to know if I’m a New-Age Fraud.  I am here to clear up some misunderstandings, answer questions publicly and hopefully get moved to the “Non-Fraud” category where I believe I belong. 
1. Your site seems to take the position that all New-Age spiritual teachers and counselors are frauds. While I would disagree, I would also place myself solidly as part of the New-Thought movement, out of which grew Unity Church, The Church of Religious Science, and the entire “self-help/personal development” movements. And, yes (educatedindian), Napoleon Hill was a New-Thought author.

Fraud requires intentional deception for personal gain.  I don’t do that.  Please note, I’ve been in practice, helping those who request my help, for over 15 years and

2. there are NO complaints about me on the internet anywhere. None. That’s quite a record. Over 4000 clients, over 500 students and not one person complaining about me on the internet where complaints are free and easy. Please note that I’m not the only ZARA on the internet.

I let everybody know who I am and what I do up front.  I came by my beliefs honestly and I am honest with everyone about them. The hourly rates I charge for spiritual counseling are clearly shown on my website. As is my no-risk satisfaction guarantee. No Deception = No Fraud.

3. Growing up in LA, California, many New-Thought/New-Age/Hindu beliefs and practices like yoga, karma, and meditation were taught to me at an early age. I was introduced to the “blended Hinduism & Christianity” of Paramahansa Yogananda (a Swami recognized and honored by the Indian government) by a relative, and through the Self-Realization Fellowship, became a disciple of his for over 20 years. I helped lead the Sunday Meditation Services in Seattle for 10 of those years. For many years I had a daily multi-hour Kriya-Yoga Meditation practice during which I sometimes had visions of Angels. One of Yogananda’s books is “How You Can Talk with God”. I use the same techniques to talk with Angels. I do still have a daily meditation/yoga practice, though I no longer need to practice for multiple hours at a time.

4. Two of the current definitions of shaman are “someone who contacts a spirit world while in an altered state of consciousness” and “someone who contacts a spirit world while in an altered state of consciousness at the behest of others”. These are not be the only definitions but by these definitions, I am a shaman. I’ve been called an “Angel Shaman”, I suppose to differentiate me from the traditional/tribal shamans.

My “hodgepodge”  (educatedindian) of beliefs come from a variety of primary sources, from Yogananda and Swedenborg to the New-Thought movement and spiritualism, mixed generously with my own personal experiences.

5. Please note that none of my primary sources pillage indigenous cultural traditions. The shamanism of Michael Harner and the Huna of Max Freedom Long (MFL) were never primary sources for me and I’ve gone out of my way to teach the techniques while avoiding cultural pillaging.

I have NEVER claimed to be an American Indian of any kind or tribe. I do not, nor have I ever led any American Indian ceremonies or rituals. I don’t do that. (epiphany) Elenor Nielsen was an Elder of the Tulalip Tribe who was my student in the full year long series of Hypnotherapy classes at EvCC.  After she completed the Metaphysical Trancework class, she wrote that testimonial for me.

I was taught to guide “shamanic journeys” by Dr. Michael Harner - who I recognize is not on your approved list. However it should be said that

7. every time I guided a class through a “shamanic journey”, it was clearly explained that these were the techniques taught by Michael Harner. They were simply taught as the shamanic journey techniques of Michael Harner.  I never called them either Siberian or American Indian Shamanism.  We also discussed the Hero’s Journey as written about by Joseph Campbell. No Deception = No Fraud.

8. In a similar way, every time I taught a Huna class it was clearly described as information and techniques as taught by Max Freedom Long. While (Pono Aloha) is right that MFL’s theories are New-Age and not truly traditional Hawaiian, no-one denies that he popularized them as being Traditional Hawaiian to the point that if someone is looking for information about Huna on Google they type in the words “Hawaiian Huna”. That simply identifies what they are looking for.

The pendulum techniques MLF taught came straight from the 18th century mesmerist/hypnotist Anton Chevreul, a varietion of which is still taught in the basic hypnosis class of the NGH (National Guild of Hypnotists).  The Low-Self he took from Freud and the High-Self he took from the New-Thought movement which took it from Classical Yoga.  Pono Aloha’s upsetness at how Huna is taught stems from it being taught as “Genuine Old Traditional Hawaiian”.  Pono Aloha acknowledges that the Huna of MFL is NOT a part of his Hawaiian cultural traditions, and yet it IS clearly a part of my New-Thought movement traditions. Indeed, I could even claim that Serge King and the rest are pillaging my New-Thought traditions when they teach Huna as Hawaiian. I wouldn’t of course because the New-Thought movement doesn’t claim property rights to it’s traditions. Which is also why the New-Age movement has borrowed from it so extensively.

There are millions of people who believe in and want to investigate some aspects of the New-Thought/New-Age movements and I feel I should be allowed to teach the beliefs and techniques to those requesting the experiences without being called a fraud.  As long as they know what they are asking for and there is no deception, there is no fraud.

Please note that on my new website, AngelReadingsbyZARA.com , I am not promoting any live classes that cost anything this entire year (2013). This entire year, all my monthly webinars are free and next year, 2014, they are all only $5. Go-To-Webinar.com charges me to do these webinars. I really don’t think my asking $5 for attending next year constitutes fraud. The webinars are not rituals or ceremonies. They are me talking about a topic and sometimes doing a guided visualization to assist understanding. This is part of how I tithe my time for those who want greater understanding but cannot afford my one-on-one private rates.

8. As for some of the misunderstandings, (educatedindian): I AM still a member of the NGH. I never left. 1997-2002 were the years I was an officer of the local Washington state chapter of the NGH.

9. The hours in the 300 hour Hypnotherapy Training Program were 300 “contact hours” for which Everett Community College granted CEUs. These are classes I taught through the Continuing Education Dept. of EvCC with Michael Gershman. Continuing Education  works on the “contact hour” not the “College Quarter Hour” or “Semester Hour”. When I (and Michael Gershman) stopped teaching there, they stopped offering the advanced hypnotherapy training classes we taught. That’s why you didn’t see them when you looked.  We stopped because they wanted to lower our per student reimbursement rates. Then they hired one of our former students to teach the basic classes.

As for the depth and breadth of the variety of classes I’ve taught; for years I used to teach a weekly Wednesday evening class on New-Thought/New-Age Spiritual Topics. I taught what I was interested in and I taught what my students asked about. That list is actually edited down quite a bit.  Most ministers, priests, and rabbis who preach and teach on a regular basis will have a similar length to their list of topics taught after more than a decade.

10. As for my “twinkie version”  beliefs about Guardian Angels, you (educatedindian) might be surprised how mainstream they are. Over 1/2 of all adults believe in Guardian Angels according to a survey by Baylor U. An August 2007 Pew poll showed that 2/3 of all Americans believe that “angels and demons are active in the world” and 1/5 said they had a personal experience with an angel or demon.  You are right about many of the Angels in the bible being “messengers of doom”, but modern America prefers the Guardian Angel concept which is also clearly present in both the Old and New Testament. 

And yes (epiphany) I do believe some people are born with an angelic soul.

In the interest of satisfying the “Research Needed”, have I answered all your questions?

Sincerely
ZARA

Ms Bolstad,
Let me commend you for being willing to discuss these matters.

You're under Research in part because we're not certain about you. Frankly you seem to be thrashing around looking desperately for what to believe in and so have dozens of different belief systems and practices you claim to either be part of or expert in. That's about as credible as someone claiming to practice many types of medicine or be a dozen different types of medical specialist. And I honestly don't think anyone can claim to believe in as many different things as you say you do, and truly believe them, or not have the raging contradictions come crashing down at some point.

Again, I wouldn't trust someone who claimed to be ten kinds of a medical specialist. But I don't think you're like the predators we often deal with. If anything, you've been fed a bill of goods by some of those operators, esp Huna and core shamanist types. And you seem to realize at least part of that yourself since you've quit putting Huna on your resume.

A few other points.
1. Actually some scholars such as Wendy Rose and myself argue that the Nuage is primarily a consumer phenomena, not religious but intensely materialistic, people thinking they can purchase enlightenment for a 19.95 book or $2000 seminar, treating spirituality like a shopping spree. I'd also call it part of colonialism.
Calling it new thought is what advertisers call rebranding. Nuage is so discredited in the minds of the public, they turned to calling it shamanism or neo shamanism. New thought is little different.
I also wouldn't brag about being part of the self help movement, which has spawned so many, yes, frauds, including cults and abusers.

2. Actually there's no testimonials in your favor either. None, couldn't find one on the net anywhere. That's pretty unusual too. It suggests either you're exagerrating how many quite a bit, or they generally weren't impressed, treating your service about as seriously as an old coin operated machine that both predicted your future and told your weight.

3. Quite a few Hindus would be offended by slapping together Hinduism with Nuage/new thought. It's inaccurate at best, deceptive at worst, little different than  Nuagers who try to pass their stuff off as Native.
I realize there are some mixed Hindu/Christian traditions. What I wonder is why you have to go beyond that and include the hodgepodge. It suggests you're not satisfied and don't really believe in the tradition you'be been with the longest.
Why all the faux angel nonsense? Why the pretend psychic bit? Why NLP, so beloved by cult leaders, pop psychology and even get rich quick nonsense?

4. That's a deceptive definition. I've only heard shaman=altered states as part of a tribal tradition, not separate and divorced from it. And I don't buy it. If you are psychic, why aren't you rich from the stock market?
Or if you speak to spirits, prove it now. Contact a Native ancestor far enough in the past who didn't speak English. Feel free to respond in fluent Cherokee, Lakota, etc. We have members who can understand the answer.

5. Nonsense. Either you don't know, or are not being honest, to not know that both Harner and Long steal shamelessly, do little but steal from indigenous tradition. Where did you think the "techniques" came from, Mars? Thin air?

6. That is deception, both Harner's and yours. Don't pretend Harner invented what he blatantly and unashamedly stole.

7. Again, deception. Again, fraud. And if they are not, then why did you stop selling them? You seem to recognize the ethical problems yourself.

8. Ok, your own wording caused the confusion.

9. That's even less training than I thought. That's less training than a 2 year Associate's. To be honest you should make it clear that the hours you have aren't equal to college credits.

10. What % of people believe in something inaccurately means little. 2/5 of Americans think global warming is a hoax. 1/6 of them think the president's a Muslim.
In any case, believing in a guardian spirit has little in common with your greeting card/mangled with reincarnation version of the belief. Ask how many of them  believe angels are reincarnated, or one can contact them with an online shaman you pay a few bucks to, and watch the numbers drop to almost nothing.

You asked in your next post to be taken off the fraud list. Well you're still under Research for a reason. If you were a clear cut abuser you'd  be under Frauds and gotten a much stronger response. I wouldn't spend time with a long response if I thought you could not potentially change your ways.

Here's hoping you drop the Harnerism fraud like you already dropped the Huna fraud.

« Reply #10 on: May 10, 2013, 11:38:51 pm »
Hi educatedindian,
Thank you for your willingness to discuss your concerns. And I agree, I’m not a predator.I’m certainly nothing like the people I’ve been reading about on your website.
I accept your judgement that I was a bit naive in trusting the Center for Shamanic Studies instructors, and the teachers from the Huna Research Assoc.

Please note:
1) As I mentioned in my last post, I have removed all mention of BOTH Huna and Shamanism from both my website and my blogs. Both already dropped with no intentions of ever putting them back on.
2) I have no expensive workshops that I teach.  Indeed my webinars are free this entire year.
3) I’ve never claimed to be an Indian, nor have I ever done any Indian ceremonies. No “sweats”, no “medicine wheel”, no “sun dance”. None of it. I don’t do that. Never have, never will.
[4) b]I now understand that I need to avoid even the impression of being culturally insensitive to native and indigenous cultures. I am committed to doing that.[/b]

The New-Thought movement is  not a “rebranding” of the New-Age movement. Depending on your definitions, the New-Age movement got started in the early 20th century and became popular 1n the 1960’s/70’s. The New-Thought movement, on the other hand, got started about a century earlier, in the early 1800’s.

As for the “thrashing around”, I’m really not thrashing.

I was brought up by my mother to believe in one God/Infinite Intelligence/Spirit and that God often works with people through his Angels. As a child, back in the 1950’s, I was practicing yoga and meditation with my aunt. The New-Thought movement is relatively inclusive, so my studying the works of Yogananda and Swedenborg did not force the change of my previous beliefs, nor did my studies into spiritualism. These have been constant through out my entire life.

Paramahansa Yogananda, who I was an active disciple of through the SRF for 20 years, did not change my beliefs, instead he, (through the SRF), brought me techniques like Kriya Yoga Meditation, which I received in 1979.

My beliefs have really been remarkably stable.

What you call “different belief systems” are really simply techniques I have used to help clients. And you would be hard pressed to find anywhere I have ever called myself an “expert”. Nor have I ever claimed a college degree.

Techniques are like tools, not something to be believed in, but rather something to be used to help people. Just as one would not expect to hire a carpenter with only one hammer, most spiritually/metaphysically oriented people looking to hire a spiritually oriented counselor with a full tool bag of techniques. The full bag of techniques simply means I’m well rounded and capable of responding to any of a variety of client requests.

Carpenters are expected to be able to use over 50 different tools, as are plumbers. Nurses are expected to be able to use a wide variety of equipment and techniques, all of which they get trained on and certified for. None of them are “dabblers”. Nor do they call themselves experts. They simply do their jobs up to current professional standards.

1)  As for your belief that the New-Age movement, (which I do not claim to be part of, any more than a Unity minister would), is “primarily a consumer phenomena”, I would offer that they would not purchase if they didn’t already have a certain amount of belief. Even if you feel their beliefs are inaccurate, foolish, or invalid, they still have their beliefs without which they would not make purchases.

I suspect part of the perception of New-Age movement as a “consumer phenomena” is caused by New-Age bookstores and gift shops being the most visible aspect of the movement. For many New-Agers, the stores, (and their back rooms), take the place of social centers, cultural centers, and churches--all under the title of “bookstore/gift shop”. Their use of the name “bookstore/gift shop” makes your perspective quite understandable.

You don’t see New-Thought bookstores or gift shops, but the books are for sale at the over a thousand Unity Churches and Churches of Religious Science. This does not make it a “consumer phenomena”.

I was going to point out the ‘consumer phenomena” of how many more Christian Bookstores than New-Age Bookstores there are in this country, but I can’t. Ten years ago there was better than a 3-1 ratio, but the way Amazon has decimated the rest of the book selling industry, I can’t find good current numbers for either.

I was not bragging about being part of the Self-Help movement. What I said was that the Self-Help movement grew out of the New-Thought movement. Even so, I think you are painting the entire movement with an awfully wide brush. Yes, some of them are frauds and abusers, but I think the majority of the people in the Self-Help movement are basically good hard working people who want personal growth and to help others.

Every career field has a few bad actors. Every year some doctors lose their license to practice. Every year some police are put in jail. Every year some ministers are removed from the pulpit. None of these are indictments of their entire professions.

2)  In addition to the written testimonials on the testimonial page of my website and the video testimonials also on my website, I have over 70 - 5 star reviews on the web. They are either under my professional name ZARA Angel or my business name Angel Readings by ZARA. I have 6 on local.yahoo, 7 reviews on yellowbook, 10 reviews on yellowpages yp, 15 reviews on thumbtack, and 35 reviews on magicyellow. All 5 star.

3) Swami Vivekananda came to this country over a century ago (1893) teaching about karma, reincarnation, yoga, and meditation. The New-Thought denomination “Home of Truth” at that time both incorporated his teachings and spread his works through out the country. This was done with the swami’s permission, so his teaching were a part of my heritage before my mother was born. I come by my beliefs honestly.

And as I said before, I do believe in Angels. You don’t have to, but I do. When I go into a meditative trance, similar to self-hypnosis, and I ask questions of the Angels, I tend to get answers. Sometimes it’s a word or a phrase.  Sometimes it’s a feeling.  Sometimes it’s an image. You don’t have to believe me. There is no way I can prove it to you. Clients say it makes sense to them and it’s helpful. Together we work on the interpretation and how the clients can use it to make better choices in their daily lives.

I do not contact the dead. I don’t give stock or bond advice. I don’t give lotto numbers. I don’t predict the future. As far as I know, no-one can do these things. I did not know in advance that the crash of 2008 would happen when it did.

As for “Why NLP”. In the early years of this century, I was teaching a full Professional Hypnotherapy Training Program at Everett Community College with Michael Gershman which included a 50 classroom hour class on NLP Techniques. Techniques are neither inherently good or bad.  Instead they are either useful and effective or not. We did not certify the students in NLP, but we made sure they learned the basic techniques. I still think many of them are still useful to any professional hypnotherapist.

4) Apparently the deceptive definition can be found in active use. I will agree to not use those deceptive definitions that I got from the British historian Ronald Hutton in the future. The Macmillian Dictionary definition is -  “in some religions, someone who has the power to talk to spirits and cure illnesses”.  Archaeology.About. com gives the definition as “Shamans are a type of religious specialist who uses altered states of consciousness to directly interact with gods and supernatural agents. Shamans are usually part time practitioners, who are part supernatural beings, at least some of the time.”

There are many similar definitions out there. I was not being deliberately deceptive. Now that I know better, I agree not to use these deceptive definitions in the future.

5) 6) 7)  I understand that standards and culture change over time and that it’s important to keep up with current standards. I understand that times and standards change. I grew up at the tail end of the Jim Crow era, lived through the civil rights movement, attended the first and second “Human Be-Ins” in 1967, felt hopeful for the woman’s rights movement in the ‘70s, and now I’m watching the gay rights movement change standards again. I’ve watched the Berlin Wall come down and the Communist Chinese become our biggest trading partner.

Just as “All men are created equal” now means ALL men, and jokes about “bosses chasing secretaries around the desk” are no longer appropriate, I understand that I need to avoid even the impression of being culturally insensitive to native and indigenous cultures. I am committed to doing that.

As I said above, I have removed all mention of both Shamanism and Huna from my website and blogs. I can show on my website that I have no up-coming classes concerning Shamanism or Huna for the next two years and I have no intention to do so in the future.

9) I’m not claiming that as the extent of my training. These are the classes I taught at Everett Community College - Continuing Education Dept. They were not taught for credit as part of a degree program. The students got CEUs and certificates of completion from the college at the completion of the courses.  As it is part of my past work experience, I felt it was relevant and put it on my resume.

While I may have made some mistakes, which I have corrected, I’m not a New-Age fraud, nor a fraud of any type.

Sincerely
ZARA

Offline Defend the Sacred

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: May 11, 2013, 03:47:36 pm »
Techniques are like tools, not something to be believed in, but rather something to be used to help people. Just as one would not expect to hire a carpenter with only one hammer, most spiritually/metaphysically oriented people looking to hire a spiritually oriented counselor with a full tool bag of techniques. The full bag of techniques simply means I’m well rounded and capable of responding to any of a variety of client requests.

Carpenters are expected to be able to use over 50 different tools, as are plumbers. Nurses are expected to be able to use a wide variety of equipment and techniques, all of which they get trained on and certified for. None of them are “dabblers”. Nor do they call themselves experts. They simply do their jobs up to current professional standards.

Most newagers and eclectic neopagans may see it that way, but that is at odds with how traditional cultures see it. Spiritual leaders from traditional cultures usually look at that kind of approach as superficial, the mark of dilettantes, and that mixing ceremonies in that way (even if they are only misunderstood fragments) is at best ineffective and at worst harmful to both the practitioner and those they are trying to help.

For spirituality and religion we really don't need analogies to professions like plumbers and carpenters. We already have tested ways of doing things that are very different from the eclectic approach you subscribe to. You may not self-identify as new age, but what you're saying really does sound new age to me.

I'm glad you're making progress with this. I'll leave it to others as to whether it's enough.

« Reply #12 on: May 12, 2013, 07:38:12 pm »
Hi Kathryn,

I’m glad that we are making progress with this also.
I’m looking forward to the general consensus of moderators to be that while my practices and beliefs are different from yours, that I’m not a New-Age Fraud, nor a fraud of any type. 

I am not a member of a traditional culture. I don’t claim to be. The New-Thought movement is barely 200 years old. Of course our two perspectives will be different on a variety of things.

Please understand that
1) I was taught Tarot as a technique to access the subconscious archetypal imagery of the client, similar to the way it was used by Carl Gustav Jung.
2) I was taught Past Life Regression as a Hypnotherapy technique.
3) I was taught Hong-Sau and Kriya as meditation techniques.
4) I was taught how to use the pendulum as a technique.

All of my various instructors taught me how to do what they called “techniques”.

Techniques taught to counselors are routinely taught as “techniques”, even though they may be viewed by clients as ritual/ceremony. Indeed, ritual/ceremony is specifically taught as a “technique” to counselors for dealing with Grief and Loss.

Writing a letter to a dead loved one, reading it out loud, and then burning it, is specifically taught as a therapeutic ritual/ceremony technique for counselors to use to assist in dealing with the emotions concerning Grief and Loss.

Gestalt Chair Therapy is taught as a technique to therapists as a way of assisting clients in dealing with anger. The process used can certainly be seen as a ritual/ceremony but it is taught as technique. The client starts by envisioning an abuser, (or anyone with whom they have unfinished emotionally-charged business with), sitting in an empty chair and having a conversation with them.

The psychodrama of Dr. Moreno and the Parts-Parties of Virginia Satir can also be looked at as ritual/ceremony but they are taught as technique.

This may be at odds with how traditional cultures see it, but it is not inherently wrong or fraudulent, it’s simply different.

So I use the word techniques because that’s how they were taught to me.

I recognize you have your “tested ways of doing things that are very different”  from mine. Your ways are right for your people because they are part of your culture. I do not claim to use your ways. If I did, you would be right to be upset with me. Because I’m not of your culture, I use different ways that are appropriate for the people who come to me. 

I understand that I may sound New-Age to you.
New-Age and New-Thought have many similarities.
If you only focus on the similarities, you won’t notice the differences.

I’m looking forward to the general consensus of moderators to be that while my practices and beliefs are different from yours, that I’m not a New-Age Fraud, nor a fraud of any type.

Sincerely,
ZARA

Offline educatedindian

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: May 14, 2013, 12:49:36 am »
If all references to Native and Hawaiian traditions are gone and core shamanism and Huna are no longer taught by you, I think we can move this thread to Archives. I wouldn't put you under Non Frauds because that's where we put recommended sources on Native cultures.

That's my opinion, but we need to hear others' thoughts on this as well.

Epiphany

« Reply #14 on: May 14, 2013, 02:01:37 am »
If all references to Native and Hawaiian traditions are gone and core shamanism and Huna are no longer taught by you, I think we can move this thread to Archives. I wouldn't put you under Non Frauds because that's where we put recommended sources on Native cultures.

That's my opinion, but we need to hear others' thoughts on this as well.

With references to Native and Hawaiian traditions gone, no core shamanism or Huna being taught, I'm good with this thread being moved to Archives also.