Author Topic: "Native American Tarot Decks"  (Read 13835 times)

Offline debbieredbear

• Global Moderator
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
"Native American Tarot Decks"
« on: November 01, 2004, 06:32:14 pm »

Offline MelMir82

Re: "Native American Tarot Decks"
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2019, 01:48:21 pm »
Didn't know this was a thing.

Offline Eris

« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2019, 09:48:44 pm »
Didn't know this was a thing.

Yep. Thirty years ago (time does fly, doesn't it?), I actually bought and attempted to use the "Medicine Cards" by Jamie Sams. (Although not a Tarot deck per se, it's close enough.) The accompanying "guide book" was such crap, however, that it came as no surprise to me when I learned later she was a complete fraud. Once then, I've found it best to avoid ANY tarot deck which uses images or ideas from ANY spiritual base. Could you imagine a Ouija board being publicy sold with Christian, Navajo or Hindu symbols all over it?

Offline WINative

« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2019, 08:18:01 pm »
There is also The Lakota Sweat Lodge Cards: Spiritual Teachings of the Sioux [Chief Archie Fire Lame Deer, Native Spirit Oracle Cards: A 44-Card Deck and Guidebook.

From Amazon:

This book and beautifully illustrated deck draw on the ancient Lakota ritual of healing and purification known as the sacred Inipi, or sweat lodge ceremony, which has existed in the Lakota culture for thousands of years. The cards and accompanying book comprise a self-contained and highly original system that will help you harness creative energies to deal with issues that are of concern in your life. Used for self-discovery rather than divination, the cards gently guide you toward inner growth and self-knowledge in the time-honored tradition of the Lakota people.
Fifty cards, illustrated in vibrant color, access the powerful symbols and teachings of the Inipi, capturing the spirit of this ancient ceremony.

In a variety of spreads the authors show you how the cards can provide you with an expanded vision of your being and purpose, offering an intimate sense of walking in balance between the conscious world and the world of spirit.

Publication coincides with the U.N. Year of Indigenous People.
Archie Fire Lame Deer is one of the leaders of the Native American spirituality movement.

Offline Sparks

« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2019, 11:31:28 pm »
There is also The Lakota Sweat Lodge Cards: Spiritual Teachings of the Sioux [Chief Archie Fire Lame Deer, Native Spirit Oracle Cards: A 44-Card Deck and Guidebook.

Mentioned in a 2006 post in the Comedy Channel ("This REALLY happened to me!!!") (my bolding):

A few months after the loss of my husband, a group of people we had extended a helping hand to in their time of need came to my house with lots of food, loving support.......and, PRESENTS?

The food was delicious and the support appreciated.  Soon, everyone gathered around, anxiously waiting for me to open up the 6 gaily wrapped presents.  They brought the gifts, they said, to cheer me up.

I took a deep breath, hoping I could get through this graciously.

The first opened present was a cassette of The Bear Tribe Songs.  (It felt like someone whacked me on the back of the head but I managed a very polite thank you.)

The second gift was Black Elk Speaks.  (Oh, hells bells, I couldn't even speak)

The third gift was Coyote Medicine by Lewis Mehl-Madrona  (Geeze, just shoot me, NOW)

The fourth - Sacred Path Cards & book by Jamie Sams  (The once delicious food is now seriously threatening a fast release upwards)

The fifth - Four books by Sun Bear  (Eyes now running & nose twitching from unexpressed hysterical laughter)

Lastly - A kit containing Lakota Sweat Lodge Cards by Archie Fire Lame Deer  (THAT DID IT!!  I exploded with weird sounds & tears flying.  I was clutching at my midsection, painfully trying to gasp out some form of coherent words)

I managed to plead an exhausted headache and they left.  It took about an hour for me to get it out of my system.  The occasional giggle would crop up for quite some time after that. 

I took the whole kit and caboodle of the professional frauds to one of those "Donation" boxes and flung them in!!

These non-indian folks bought all of their gifts from a book store in Kent run by a twinkie/wannabe with a Cherokee Princess Grandmother.

The text quoted below originates with the publisher (in 1993):

https://www.innertraditions.com/the-lakota-sweat-lodge-cards.html

This book and beautifully illustrated deck draw on the ancient Lakota ritual of healing and purification known as the sacred Inipi, or sweat lodge ceremony, which has existed in the Lakota culture for thousands of years. The cards and accompanying book comprise a self-contained and highly original system that will help you harness creative energies to deal with issues that are of concern in your life. Used for self-discovery rather than divination, the cards gently guide you toward inner growth and self-knowledge in the time-honored tradition of the Lakota people.
Fifty cards, illustrated in vibrant color, access the powerful symbols and teachings of the Inipi, capturing the spirit of this ancient ceremony.

In a variety of spreads the authors show you how the cards can provide you with an expanded vision of your being and purpose, offering an intimate sense of walking in balance between the conscious world and the world of spirit.

Publication coincides with the U.N. Year of Indigenous People.
Archie Fire Lame Deer is one of the leaders of the Native American spirituality movement.

Archie Fire Lame Deer published two books with that company:

https://www.innertraditions.com/author/chief-archie-fire-lame-deer/

Archie Fire Lame Deer has been mentioned in comments more than two dozen times, but there is no separate thread about him here in the forum.