Author Topic: James Arthur Ray - Angel Valley Resort DeathSweat in Sedona: 3 dead, 20 injured  (Read 275910 times)

Offline educatedindian

• Administrator
Good news, kind of. He was found guilty of the lesser charges, escaped a guilty verdict on the more serious charges.

---------
http://www.theatlanticwire.com/national/2011/06/self-help-guru-found-guilty-negligent-homicide/39161/
Self-Help Guru Found Guilty of Sweat Lodge Homicide
John Hudson 9:02 AM ET 421 Views Comment
A self-help guru famous for his appearances on The Oprah Winfrey Show and the 2006 documentary The Secret was found guilty Wednesday of negligent homicide involving the deaths of three people in a sweat-lodge ceremony in 2009. James Arthur Ray charged participants $10,000 each to attend a five-day "Spiritual Warrior" event designed to "help participants overcome adversity to reach their full potential," reports The Los Angeles Times. Though the participants signed a wavier acknowledging the risk of death, the jury listened to recordings of him "urging participants to ignore their bodies' signs of distress during what he called a 'hellacious' event." "You will have to get to a point to where you surrender and it's O.K. to die," said Ray in the recording. He now faces up to 11 years on three negligent homicide convictions or a simple probation. "We totally believe that justice has been served here today," said Randy Neuman, the ex-husband Lix Neuman who died from the sweat-lodge ceremony. Ray made no comment following the ruling. According to The New York Times, he "seemed to breathe a sigh of relief when he was found not guilty on the first manslaughter charge. But he looked stunned a moment later when the guilty verdicts came in." A date has not been set for sentencing.

Offline Defend the Sacred

• Global Moderator
Ongoing roundup of media coverage, courtesy the #NDNZ and #JamesRay Twitter Crew: http://paper.li/tag/JamesRay

Offline nemesis

I'm not a lawyer but presumably conviction means that even if he only gets probation that the families of the victims can sue him for substantial damages?  That would be great, simply because the man is an arrogant fraud who appears unconcerned about the risks he takes with other people's lives and he needs to have his dangerous activities stopped before he kills some other innocent people.

Offline educatedindian

• Administrator
I posted this in the comments at the Huffingtonpost story about the verdict.

---------
There are reasons to cheer the guilty verdict but also reasons for concern.

This was the first time ever that a New Age exploiter was brought to justice for abusing people in an imitation of a Native religious ceremony. There are literally hundreds of such exploiters abusing people every day, all over America, Canada, Europe, and Australia, taking their money, hopes, dreams, and self respect. We have documented them over at NewAgeFrau­d.org.

Why weren't any of these exploiters brought to justive before? No one would have hesitated for an instant were a con man similar to Mr. Ray pose as a Catholic priest and charge people ten grand to take a eucharist as part of an alleged self help seminar. The reason is simple ignorance of Native traditions by the general public and a ludicrous claim that to do so would interfere with their First Amendment rights. Here's hoping the authoritie­s are more willing to listen, and to prosecute, as they did in the James Ray case.

This was not even the first time an exploiter killed people with a phony and dangerous imitation of a sweatlodge­. Again, we over at NewAgeFrau­d.org have documented such cases before. Here's hoping the authoritie­s in California­, Australia, and England look at the Ray verdict and consider prosecutin­g these older cases.

The look of fear on his face when convicted.. priceless.

Hey.. maybe he'll play "full on" with the other inmates..  ;)
press the little black on silver arrow Music, 1) Bob Pietkivitch Buddha Feet http://www.4shared.com/file/114179563/3697e436/BuddhaFeet.html

Offline OneRed

I discussed this issue with quite a few internet marketers (because I am one) in our largest marketing forum and you'd be happy to know that most were pretty happy that he was getting the gears over it, because it's not something tolerated in our community either. For the record, James Arthur Ray adapted The Secret, he didn't really write it. Those teachings come from a book called Think and Grow Rich by Napoleon Hill, which is public domain (there are also video's of Napoleon Hill teaching Law of Attraction on youtube, way back in the 60's I think).

Offline Cetan

• Hoka Hey
I saw that NBC Dateline will have a show about him on tonight, 9pm EDT - should be interesting  :)

Well, at least Dateline referred to the deathlodge as "loosely based on NA sweat lodge" and did not
call it a NA sweat lodge outright.
press the little black on silver arrow Music, 1) Bob Pietkivitch Buddha Feet http://www.4shared.com/file/114179563/3697e436/BuddhaFeet.html

Offline tecpaocelotl

• That one guy...
    • My blog
That was a plus.

I'm just glad they played the "I am God" audio clip from James Ray.

Offline matt e

• my site
just an fyi, you do not have to be found guilty of a crime to be sued.

a couple big examples are the OJ case, he was found not guilty in criminal court, but was found responsible in civil court. In the Catholic sex scandal, many of the people coming forward and suing the church and/or the priests and winning or getting settlements cannot go to criminal trial due to too much time passing.

for the frauds that read this, keep that in mind.
feel free to share any post I make as long as you give me credit. I want everyone to know who to send the hate mail to.

• Global Moderator
This video perfectly sums up what is wrong with the newagers and others who engage in cultural appropriation. James Ray admits he has no idea what a local, possibly indigenous, woman at this site is saying. She appears to be explaining the site to visitors. Ray not only ignores her words (that he could have recorded and had translated later) but he talks over her, giving his outsider interpretation of what the site means, and what religious significance he thinks it had.

He also tells us that his pay-to-pray, "prosperity consciousness" group, World Wealth Society, are over in a nearby "vortex" doing their own idea of a death/rebirth ritual. Or something. Hopefully no one in the group had any idea how to call to the spirits (since they don't understand the language) and hopefully they were so self-centered they didn't think to call on some of their own ancestral spirits who may clash with the local spirits. Then again, maybe they did get noticed by someone... as death is following James Ray.

Watch it for yourself. Astonishing: http://jamesray.com/james-arthur-ray-videos/abroad-sacsayhuaman.html

Thanks to Twinkie Wrangler for finding this: http://twitter.com/#!/twinkiewrangler/status/134752479727468544
« Last Edit: November 11, 2011, 07:04:20 pm by Kathryn NicDhàna »

Offline educatedindian

• Administrator
And Ray could have easily found someone to translate. The woman is speaking in Spanish. She seems to be a tour guide, and possibly she knows English as well and uses it in her job. If not he could have easily found an English guide at these major tourist sites.

It's hard to hear most of what she said because of Ray talking over her. But she seems to be explaining how the sites were built, exactly at the same time Ray tries some pseudo mystical nonsense about "how science can't explain this site."

has he been sentenced yet?

• Global Moderator
There were many delays, but finally the judge is hearing from witnesses as he decides on sentencing.