Author Topic: Hale Makua - Hank Wesselman  (Read 15175 times)

Offline Pono Aloha

Hale Makua - Hank Wesselman
« on: July 16, 2011, 09:16:16 pm »
Wesselman claims to be a Ph.D. anthropologist and a shaman. I'm interested in any research anyone has done with respect to Wesselman's bona fides. I believe he has channeled some books. What is his reputation in the scholarly community? Does he even have a Ph.D.?
« Last Edit: August 10, 2012, 07:06:01 am by Pono Aloha »

Offline educatedindian

• Administrator
Re: Hale Makua - Hank Wesselman
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2011, 08:24:39 pm »
Wesselman does have a PhD and did teach for a time at several schools. It seems he left that behind all the way back in 1994. Selling seminars for several grand a night certainly pays better. I haven't heard of anyone in academia speak of him, but my guess he has about as little credibility left as the other anthros turned Nuage seminar sellers, like Castaneda or Harner. And I'm sure claiming to be able to talk with healers from 5000 years in the future doesn't help his case either.

Found an interesting review of Wesselman's book by...guess who? Bolding is mine.

----------

Who are the best teachers of Hawaiian spirituality?, May 13, 2011
By Pono AlohaThis review is from: The Bowl of Light: Ancestral Wisdom from a Hawaiian Shaman (Paperback)

If you want to learn about Hawaiian spirituality, would you rather learn directly from Hawaiians, or from someone raised in a different culture interpreting what one Hawaiian has said? No matter how good the intentions of an author or how advanced his degrees, he cannot help but filter the information he receives. That is why I prefer to read books written by Hawaiians.

Unfortunately, some of the publicity has said that this is the "only" and the "first" book about Hawaiian kahuna tradition, so someone who is new to this field may not realize there are actually many books written by Hawaiians on the kahuna tradition. Three that are a good start are Tales from the Night Rainbow (with the original bowl of light story), Change We Must: My Spiritual Journey, and Nana I Ke Kumu (Look to the Source) volume I.

The problem of a Western filter on a Hawaiian's words can be seen in this book. Hale Makua is quoted as saying, "We live in an interesting time, one in which an increasing number of aspirant disciples of the positive polarity of acceptance, aloha, are searching for truth in their journey of self-discovery. In accordance with this, there is an awareness that has appeared in the Western world, one that has been formalized in a way that appears to be meaningful to Western people. It involves what you would call an archetypal force - an Oversoul field - what we know as 'Aumakua. This one calls himself Michael. ... This spiritual entity is a matrix that is said to be composed of more than one thousand personalities subsumed into one predominant expression. And this expression in turn is in communication with many human beings with whom it has come into relationship in order to be of service to humanity at large."

If you go to YouTube and search on Hale Makua, you will find some videos of him talking. Compare those to this quote. Do you hear the same vocabulary, rhythms of speech, cadence, and concepts? The language in this quote sounds like it was written by a Ph.D., not spoken by Hale Makua. Also compare these concepts to those you read in the other books mentioned. In Hawaiian tradition, `aumakua are the spirits of your ancestors, not an oversoul field. Nor do traditional Hawaiians use a number like "one thousand." There are sacred numbers in Hawaiian mysticism but this is not one of them. No doubt some of the quotes in the book are from Hale Makua but others seem to be a Western, New Age interpretation of what he might have said.

Another question you might ask is do Hawaiians consider Hale Makua to be a kahuna? In recent years, quite a few Western authors have written about "kahuna" who are not considered kahuna by Hawaiian elders. These authors were no doubt impressed by the wisdom of the Hawaiians they met, and perhaps used the title as a way to show their deep respect. However, "kahuna" is a title that is given to one who comes from a long line of kahunas, who is picked to study as a kahuna by their kahuna ancestor, who studies their entire lifetime with the kahuna, and who, shortly before the death of their kahuna teacher, is given the "ha" or breath of knowledge to take up the lineage.

The author of this book clearly respects Hale Makua and was deeply impacted by him. However, the lineage that he gives in the book is not a kahuna genealogy, it is a warrior chief lineage. Maybe that is not important to the casual reader, but to a Hawaiian or to anyone who seeks authentic Hawaiian wisdom, it is. Interestingly, in talking to Hawaiians who did know Hale Makua, they said he was a well-respected Vietnam veteran, but they were not aware of any kahuna lineage or training he might have.

If you are looking for a book of New Age philosophy, this one is as good as any. If, however, you seek traditional Hawaiian wisdom, read the books written by Hawaiians recognized by other Hawaiians for their teachings.

Offline Pono Aloha

« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2012, 05:51:03 am »
I didn't realize that he is an expert on Lakota, Cherokee, Voodoo, Inuit as well as Hawaiian kahuna.

"the indigenous peoples know a great deal about the energy body. The Lakota call it sicun, and they say that it's really a fourth self-aspect in that it carries the pattern of our life, as well as the net effect of the balance or imbalance between the dimensions of our soul cluster."
Spirit Medicine, p. 41

The Lakota Sioux of the Plains Indian cultures of North America, for example, distinguish between a physical soul, woniya, a cognitive soul, nagi, and a divine spiritual soul, nagila.
http://www.sharedwisdom.com/article/hawaiian-perspectives-matrix-soul

The kahunas believe, for example, that we don't have just one but that we have three distinct souls. This belief is shared by the Inuit, the Lakota, the Cherokee, voodoo practitioners, the Yoruba, as well as tribes in the Amazon but suppressed or "excised out" in Western spirituality.
http://www.bodhitree.com/lectures/Wesselman.html

Is he accurately stating Lakota, Cherokee, Inuit beliefs?

Offline debbieredbear

• Global Moderator
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2012, 04:03:14 pm »
I don't know, probably nopt. But I did want to say that a late friend ran in some of the same circles this creep does and said that Wesselman is very arrogant and a major jerk. My friend  (a different one) read his first book and said it was a major ick, especially whjere he brag about forcing himself on his then pregnant wife.

Epiphany

« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2013, 03:41:01 am »
His newest book (co-authored with Sandra Ingerman) is AWAKENING TO THE SPIRIT WORLDS: THE SHAMANIC PATH OF DIRECT REVELATION (Sounds True, 2010.)

http://www.sharedwisdom.com/users/hank-wesselman-phd

Would you like to improve your meditation and journey skills? Would you like to develop a stronger connection to your inner guides? Do you want to learn more about the spiritual
side of healing and illness?

If so, this unique 6-CD Box Set presents sacred teachings from the Hawaiian kuhuna perspective that will help you.

http://www.sharedwisdom.com/product/spiritwalker-teachings-journeys-modern-mystic

Kahuna, "Australian aboriginal wisdom", shamanism, "encounters" with Isis and also Jinn.

Epiphany

« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2013, 04:24:13 pm »
In the brilliant visionary tradition of Carlos Castaneda, anthopologist Hank Wesselman first documented his spiritual journey in the internationally acclamied SPIRITWALKER. His travels through the spirit world continue in this astonishing book, leading us into the heart of one of the greatest mysteries of existence.

So in the tradition of Castaneda, he's making things up and passing them off as fact.

Ideally he would market his fiction as fiction.

This "Another Encounter with a Jinn" : He goes to another country that is not his own, claims that a local spirit contacts him, that the spirit tells him that he is a "a binder of demons" and that it then offers to serve him, and that the spirit curses someone who had wronged him (didn't pay a workshop fee) in the past.

http://www.sharedwisdom.com/article/another-encounter-jinn