Odds and Ends > Etcetera

Buffy Sainte-Marie denies she misled public about Indigenous ancestry

<< < (2/2)

Sparks:

--- Quote from: educatedindian on November 04, 2023, 12:17:14 am ---Like Sparks points out, we could fill dozens of threads just with all the talk about this in a short time. The fact that these revelations are far too late to do much good is part of why.
--- End quote ---

The endless commentaries in every possible channel world wide has continued, and whatever one chooses to  report on is just a drop in the ocean. However, today I received a news letter which I'll quote briefly from:

--- Quote ---Late Thursday, her publicist shared her acceptance of the Emmy that contained a response to critics that questioned her Indigenous roots. Native News Online has chosen to publish the entire statement:
[…]
The attack on my character is full of mistakes and omissions. While I will not stoop to respond to every false allegation, I feel it is important to clarify two things.

First, the central proof used to question my identity is a story fabricated by my abuser and repeated by two members of my estranged family I don’t even know. This has been incredibly re-traumatizing for me and unfair to all involved. It hurts me deeply to discover that my estranged family grew up scared of me and thinking these lies because of a letter I sent intended to protect me from further abuse from my brother. I want to be clear, I do not blame them. They, of course, want to believe their father. I have evidence I was sexually abused by my brother, but I can’t tolerate discomforting his children even more. I wish them only the best and hope they move forward from this and find peace, as I am trying to do.

The second is my “birth certificate”. As many Indigenous people know, and the National Sixties Scoop Healing Foundation of Canada has stated, it was common for birth certificates of Indian children to be “created” by western governments after they were adopted or taken away from their families. So it was quite shocking to me to hear a city clerk say she had 100% confidence in its authenticity. I have never known if my birth certificate was real. I have used it because it was the only document I’ve had my whole life. I’ve heard from countless people with similar stories – who do not know where they are from and feel victimized by these allegations and one-sided reporting as I do.
--- End quote ---

How credible is that second part? — Read it all here:
https://nativenewsonline.net/arts-entertainment/buffy-sainte-marie-accepts-emmy-and-responds-to-her-critics-who-question-her-indigenous-roots

Laurel:
At least in the USA, adopted people do have fake birth certificates.

The Canadian government didn't change her DNA, though.

ska:
Saskatchewan First Nation chief says Buffy Sainte-Marie should take DNA test

"The chief of a Saskatchewan First Nation that has been thrust into the controversy over Buffy Sainte-Marie’s ancestry says the legendary singer and songwriter should take a DNA test to provide an answer about her heritage. “I do believe that we deserve a definitive answer from her,” Piapot First Nation acting Chief Ira Lavallee said Thursday. . . "

https://ca.yahoo.com/news/saskatchewan-first-nation-chief-says-194613239.html

Sparks:

--- Quote from: Sparks on November 03, 2023, 08:09:29 pm ---In her Wikipedia article these developments are referred to in the Personal life and Indigenous identity paragraphs:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Buffy_Sainte-Marie
--- End quote ---

The last of these two paragraphs has been expanded and is now named False claim of Indigenous identity.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version