General > Non-Frauds

NAFPS Highly Recommends...

(1/8) > >>

educatedindian:
A message in our guestbook recently got me thinking. Like a lot of whites enamored of Nuage frauds, it was a very pollyanna sweetness and light kind of post, suggesting we try to be more positive. But underneath the fluff there was a good point.

We should try to steadily build up a list of books, websites, authors, musicians, organizations, etc, that each of us personally like or admire. Trish already has something like this on her site, but I hope we'll see each of us add to the list.

And for newcomers, esp whites or other outsiders who are curious or don't know, feel free to add or ask about titles author etc you've heard about.

My own recommends:

Authors- These are gonna be mostly history from me, naturally.

Vine Deloria (Lakota)-God Is Red, Red Earth White Lies, Custer Died for Your Sins

Phillip Deloria (Lakota)-Playing Indian

William McCullough-After the Trail of Tears

Clifford Trafzer-As Long as the Grass Grows and Rivers Flow. Landmark work, the first history survey book centered on NDN history.

Keith Basso-Wisdom Sits In Places. He's a white anthropologist with a good grasp of Apache ways of talking about history and land.

Tom Holm (Cherokee)-Strong Hearts Wounded Souls. Native vets of Vietnam, and the only book out there on Native vets I recommend without reservations.

Musicians-This is the funnest part of the list.

A Carlos Ortega-Apache blues/traditional

Floyd Westerman-Lakota country/folk/traditional

Sharon Burch-Navajo folk

Jerry Alfred-Dine rock/traditional. That's Dine of northern Canada, not Navajo, though the people are related.

Rollin Fox-Apache hip hop

Blackfire-truly asskickin Navajo metal/punk. W/the late great Joey Ramone guesting on vocals.

More later.

mibbyagain:
I recommend Suzan Shown Harjo. So much better than a certain man who's so small and unworthy he's not even worth being mentioned or large enough to be noticed.

debbieredbear:
For Musicians I reccommend Jim Boyd. He's a Colville Folk/Rock singer/songwriter. If you have seen Smoke Signals, you have heard Jim.  And seen him, he's in one scene playing guitar.

I also reccomend Kieth Secola. Especially INDIAN KARZ!

And Blues Nation. Hope they crank out another CD!

educatedindian:
More books and authors:

Natives and Academics edited by Devon Mihesuah (Choctaw)-for anyone wondering why Native history gets treated the way it does.

Decolonization Methodologies by Linda Tuwahi Smith (Maori)-how to guide for anyone in academia trying to overcome the ways they treat Native history.

Dancing at Halftime-on the mascot issue, recommend it to anyone who just doesn't get why they're offensive.

More music-Robbie Robertson (Mohawk), esp his later stuff. Everything from folk rock to all kinds of traditional music, even sampling the latter into the former.

Walela (Cherokee)-traditional w/a strong dose of gospel

Activists and their sites-James Starkey. Yep, as obnoxious as he was to us when he was a member, I gotta admit I agree with almost everything else he argues on his site.

Honest Injun-by one of our own NAFPS members, with lots of good information on state recognition.

You Might Be a Twinkie If...-still pretty damned funny.

Spiritual Abusers Anonymous-recovering Nuagers's site, set up like a 12 step program.

JosephSWM:
In the category of music there is also the  great rock/blues group Indigenous (don't know if I  spelled it right).

Even though they only did one tape, Without Reservation is a great Native rap group.

Hey someone mentioned Keith Secola, don't forget about his classic "Fry Bread"

A good non-fiction book is "Celluloid Indians" by Jacquelyn Kilpatrick. It is about the portrayal of Indians in movies since movies started.

Another is called "The Killing of Ned Christie: Cherokee Outlaw" by Bonnie Stahlman Speer. It is a good book but what is interesting about this book is a footnote in it. Christie was accused of killing  US Marshall Maples. The footnote states that the site of what once was Maples' farm is now the corporate headquarters for Wal-Mart. Thats all it says but Speer nust have known about Wal-Marts uncanny knack for choosing ancient Indian burial sites for building thier stores (4 that I know of).

Joseph

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version