General > Research Needed

GhostWolf/Kirael/FredSterling/GMScallion

<< < (6/6)

AlaskaGrl:
Hello again,

This is all certainly interesting.

--- Quote ---? I studied Wicca for about 5 years and have conducted Wiccan rituals. ? These items are still used from time to time as I host circles from a variety of paths and sometimes the "conductor" of the ritual simply consecrates these items to the use of that particular circle event. ?
--- End quote ---

How does the Indian aspects fit in to your beliefs or does it? I had thought perhaps you were Wiccan or Pagan.  But the Wicca is not an on going part of you?  Do you find you lean more one way than the others?   I have a difficult time understanding how one can be so spread out and mix so many things.  Would you say you do actual "magic?"  

--- Quote --- I have hosted circles of Shamanic, Druidic, Egyptian, Asatruan, and even Buddhist traditions. ?
--- End quote ---

If you are "conducting" Circles (an incorrect term) do you consider yourself an HP?   Of these paths you mention not all use circles.   Curious, where did your training in all these things come from?   Who were your teachers?   Do you sometimes throw in Indian elements into your rituals?   I see you mention Egyptian ...  I hope you are staying clear of Ceremonial work.

--- Quote ---I happen to have the largest basement area, as well as back yard for outdoor use, among my friends and we all believe in supporting each other even tho we all walk different paths.  
--- End quote ---

Size of property is actually meaningless...  sometimes do you find you walk paths/traditions from one month to the next ?  That's certainly different... a person usually sticks to one thing.  

--- Quote ---You mention: "Suffimentun, It is being sold for 150.00 or so along "with instructions." ? All I can say to this is "holey crap!" ? I suppose a price like that will certainly keep it out of the hands of most Pagans! ?
--- End quote ---

My point was that some things should not be in the domain of the general populace including some pagans for just this reason.  I also include some books on magic in this category.  Lack of respect and knowledge.  There are many laws set down that should be followed but then i'm a bit stodgy it seems.

I have some things to do now to get ready for this Hurricane tomorrow/Saturday.  If anyone wants to follow it our local TV station is
http://www.nbc-2.com  I am near Fort Myers on the Gulf Coast.  I am fairly far inland so I don't think we will get flooding.  The usual worry here is downed lines, downed trees, and tornados associated with the Hurricane.

LindaR

guest:
LindaR

I am pagan, however I no longer "practise" Wicca although I do respect it when I am asked to attend a Wiccan gathering.  

No, I do not consider myself an HP.  As to the circles (more correctly, I suppose, called gatherings - even tho most of the time we all end up forming a circle anyway),  I HOST them, I do not lead them.  My home is open to any sincere individual who needs the room.  I am not trained in any of the other paths I mentioned, but again, I respect them when attending.  That includes the Egyptian tradition gathering I attended...extremely interesting...and no, "high" ceremonial work was not included.  It never is in a "public" circle.  Only in small private rituals, with highly trained and knowledgeable practitioners.  

Magic?  Yes, of course.  As defined as a conscious direction of will to accomplish a goal.  But again, not within a "public" ritual.  

By size of property I simply meant that there is enough room for a large gathering to take place.  

No, I do not change paths/traditions from one month to another.  We, each, repect each others paths and can discuss the similarities and differences without it harming our friendship.   In fact, it strengthens our bonds.  We have a unity in "celebrating our differences"

No, I do not use strictly, cultural/religious elements of "Indian" traditions.  Some elements do overlap however.  Say for instance, honouring the directions.  That is not strictly an "Indian" tradition altho many do so.  To say I could not honour the directions because that is a "Indian" tradition would be silly.  If, however, I used a culturally specific method of honouring the directions, that would be wrong.  

No, I do not think you are stodgy on your opinions about the "laws" of magic.  Those "laws" exist for a reason.  "Fooling" with magic can be dangerous.  There are far too many books out there accessible to the gullible and the stupid.  

My best to you as far as this coming hurricane is concerned.... take care.

And BTW, I appreciate the way you have worded your questions....as questions and/or personal opinions, rather than attacking, twisting and mis-construing every word I write.

guest:
Mr. McEwan

I saw no need to respond to Trisha.  She was making a statement of opinion to which she has a perfect right.  

Why I recommended "Shamans and Religion: An Anthropological Exercise in Critical Thinking" ?

Because I present material from all views of the topic.  It's not up to me to tell group members what they should or should not read/believe etc.  It is up to them to make their own choices.  

I don't see a lot of questions worthy of reponse.  Most of what you have posted are statements of your opinion.  

TrishaRoseJacobs:

--- Quote ---Go back a few posts..... "All I can say in reply to this is that native ceremonies and cultural items belong to native people and in native communities." ?  

?  
--- End quote ---

Okay, let's not be totally obtuse here. Certain things such as jewelry have always been made for trade.

As to your opinion and my opinion - everyone is of course entitled to their opinion. However, that does not make all opinions equal.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version