General > Non-Frauds

Good Sources-Alternatives to Nuage

(1/4) > >>

educatedindian:
Robin and Dave were discussing this on the yahoo group. I thought itd be a good idea to have it over here too. I´d also like to build up a good list for the book, so that when pagans, Europeans, and whites in general claim to need to follow Native ways "because there´s no other good choices" we can point to these.

I mean good sources on pagan traditions, pre Christian European beliefs, general spirituality, even good books about Christianity.

And óf course Robin and dave are welcome to repost the liwsts theyve come up with so far.

Barnaby_McEwan:
All the religions looked down upon by newagers have ecological strands to them. Doing a Google search for eg ecology + Judaism could be instructive and might to lead to satisfying membership of a faith community which will likely be accessible and welcoming.

Or one could go for some strand of neo-paganism whilst remembering that, like the newage scene, the neo-pagan scene is rife with charlatanry, power games, and so on.

educatedindian:
A member of Wild Oak (Big Mountain Support group in Sweden) told me about the location of two colleges teaching about and preserving pre Christian Scottish traditions. He couldnt remember the college names.
On the Isle of Skye and
Stornaway on the Isle of of Lewis

Here´s the books Dave and Robin mentioned on the yahoo group-

Dave > Not really. One of the main challenges is to
> recommend accurate and fairly available resources for information about the Celtic tradition. While I can> recommend many that consist of excellent scholarship,> these usually do not cover the large range of> materials than can be important to those seeking> initial information. Ross is not bad, but I have> disagreed with some of her conclusions. A lot will> depend exactly what you are looking for and which> tradition you are interested in. No list can be all> inclusive, and they will contain both excellent and> poor resources. For the casual reader, I'd recommend
> Chadwick, Cunliffe, Danaher, Green, Hutton, Koch,
> Ross, Kelly, Davidson, MacCana, Rees, Rolleston, Gray,> Kondratiev, Piggot and Mallory. Many, if not most, of> the newer scholars include some references to older> works. Some of the older scholars, such as R.A. S.> Macalister, remain a definitive authority in specific> fields. Authors to read with caution include Ellis and> both Matthew's. The same applies to OBOD related
> authors.

Many of these authors you mention I have read myself, although some you mention I have still to read. I'm surprised you raise an eyebrow at the Matthews as I think Caitlin's 'Encyclopaedia of Celtic Wisdom' is really interesting, and John's book on Taliesin is my major inspiration as far as symbolism and poetry is concerned. However,
other works by the Matthews, I agree, are too commercial and superficial and highly suspect.
Robin

Barnaby_McEwan:
There's much *Christian* Gaelic tradition too. There are Gaelic colleges which teach the language and music but these are a bit like tribal colleges in the US and Canada. Did your informant mean that kind of thing? They don't teach pre-Christian religious traditions except maybe in the sense of historical study.

Dave and Robin, thanks for the reading suggestions.

educatedindian:
He probably meant Christian Gaelíc as well, but I think he did mean you could learn about pre Christian beliefs and practices too. And I did mean (and Im sure he meant) historical study, not "study to become a Celtic shaman" or anything like that. If you know of any others Barnaby, add them to the list. When you say like tribal colleges, you mean they´re intended to serve Scottish and Welsh students?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version