Author Topic: The Medicine Way; Weeya Wakee Smith  (Read 33588 times)

Offline loudcrow

Re: The Medicine Way; Weeya Wakee Smith
« Reply #15 on: June 01, 2015, 12:08:25 pm »

Allen Lafayette Mccormick
mentioned in the record of Allen Lafayette Mccormick and UNKNOWN
Name:    Allen Lafayette Mccormick
Name Suffix:    Jr
Event Type:    Marriage
Event Date:    13 Jun 1975
Event Place:    Madison, Florida, United States
Race:    White
Volume:    3747
Certificate Number:    036452

Offline loudcrow

« Reply #16 on: June 01, 2015, 03:11:38 pm »
I have researched the paternal line to the 1840s and each and every family member is listed as White.
I've gone as far back as Mahulda Johnson, daughter of John and Sarah Johnson. The family appears on the
1840 U.S. Census in Cherokee County, North Carolina and are listed as White. John was born about 1809 and
Sarah was born about 1810. The paternal line clearly is not Cherokee and did not walk on the Trail Where They Cried.

Paternal family surnames include McCormick, Nowling, Johnson, Lindsey, Prescott, and Cain.

I'm having some problems with the maternal side (McBride) and am still working on it.

Offline WINative

« Reply #17 on: June 02, 2015, 03:41:18 am »
Nice work I guess she should not have made those claims of being Cherokee, when her family line is all public... :P

« Reply #18 on: July 29, 2015, 09:57:39 pm »
 :(

Offline Ingeborg

• Friends
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #19 on: July 29, 2015, 10:40:18 pm »
Ms Smith, will you please be kind enough to observe netiquette and stop spamming the thread re-posting the same text time and again? Thanks.

« Reply #20 on: July 29, 2015, 10:58:55 pm »
My apologizes. I was trying to edit a post that I made years ago, December of 2010,  where I made an error, but someone brought this to my attention. I would like to correct the post and say that though I have family members who are enrolled, I am not enrolled. I tried to correct the post, but was unable, therefore I am posting it here.

Offline Ingeborg

• Friends
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #21 on: July 29, 2015, 11:13:26 pm »
Trying hard to create extra work for the mods?   ::)

Same as we don't welcome spamming in these boards, we also prefer contributors not to drag their issue all over the forum opening up multiple threads. In plain words: one thread is enough. For original post *and* a correction, even though this comes five years later (someone's ignition timing seems a trifle behind, then).

Offline AClockworkWhite

« Reply #22 on: July 30, 2015, 12:17:01 am »
She has an interesting FB circle. Just saying.
I came here for the popcorn and stayed for the slaying of pretenders.

Offline AClockworkWhite

« Reply #23 on: July 30, 2015, 12:19:05 am »
"Be well" hahahahaa

Offline WINative

« Reply #24 on: August 05, 2015, 08:25:05 pm »
I think now that she has acknowledged not being enrolled, that she should not be doing any of these type of things;Especially since she has no Native American culture or background. She should leave it to those that do if she has any morals or values.
Her being a descendant even, (which sounds doubtful) is still not enough these days to talk with authority and legitimacy about Natives.

http://www.themedicineway.org/bookings--info.html

Native American Presentations
These presentations are on the Southeast Woodland people, their past and how they lived. The presentation also includes stories. Weeya is dressed in authentic 18th Century clothing and has a table with items the audience can touch and explore. The presentation last an hour but up to two hours depending on audience participation. Weeya is open to questions and answers during the presentation.

Storytelling
Oral storytelling has existed with all people from the beginning of time. It is a way to communicate good behaviors, learning from  mistakes and how things came to be. Weeya is dressed in authentic 18th Century clothing and tells stories based off of silver pieces that adorn her clothing and her match coat. The storytelling can be done in 30 min. increments throughout the day or weekend. Weeya is open to question and answer sessions during & at the end of the storytelling.

Children's Art Camp/Classes with a Native or other Cultural Themes
Weeya is a certified Art teacher in the state of Wisconsin while holding a lifetime certification in art with the state of Louisiana. Weeya has been working professionally as a Artist for over 30 years and as an educator for 15 years. She can teach one hour classes or up to a week long session. The time limit is up to the client and what they are looking to achieve with the art class or camp. The class can hold any cultural theme or just be the basics of learning art techniques. Weeya can teach children, as well as, adults.

Offline AClockworkWhite

« Reply #25 on: August 05, 2015, 09:13:27 pm »
I totally agree. She probably still sells herself as Native to keep those lucrative programs busy.

Offline loudcrow

« Reply #26 on: August 06, 2015, 12:14:49 am »
Here's a video on Youtube I happened to run across. As of December 2014, she is still making claims of being a Cherokee Storyteller.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=syXsDpXNvEY

Offline loudcrow

« Reply #27 on: August 06, 2015, 01:31:34 am »
Here's a link to the 1850 Census Record for Mahulda Johnson, one of Michelle McCormick Smith's ancestors from
Cherokee County, North Carolina.

https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:M4YB-NMT

Offline AClockworkWhite

« Reply #28 on: August 06, 2015, 02:36:03 am »
Interesting racial ID, eh?

Offline loudcrow

« Reply #29 on: August 06, 2015, 02:45:37 am »
Juanette McBride was the daughter of Horace B. McBride; Here's a link to his 1935 census record:

https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:MNKW-PB3