Author Topic: KiiskeeN'Tum aka She Who Remembers  (Read 5087 times)

Offline educatedindian

• Administrator
KiiskeeN'Tum aka She Who Remembers
« on: April 10, 2009, 07:04:19 am »
We got a request for more information about her by someone who lost money to her.

At this point everything is still under investigation and still allegations. There are also public criticisms by SWR of Brooke Medicine Ego.

------------------

I believe that a large number of people have been defrauded by a person who calls herself KiiskeeN'Tum aka She Who Remembers.  From what I have heard she got this name from a book in the Selkirk, Manitoba, CA library.

I have not been able to verify that the name is of Native origin although she claims to be of Cree/Mohawk descent.  She supposedly grew up outside of Tyandinaga reserve in Canada.  She has a lot of supposedly authentic stories posted on the web that were given to her by her grandmother...

She did live in Winnipeg and ran a centre called Turtle Island Family Centre as Executive director.  Supposedly she tried to adopt First Nation babies from nearby reserves.  This is hearsay.

She testified before the Manitoba provincial government as a First Nations person.  She handed out tobacco pouches and became the center of attention in testimony about governing alternative means of healing.

She married a US citizen and immigrated to the US and adopted at least ten to twelve children with special needs.  This was a money making enterprise it seems.

She has been convicted in the state of Utah of gross negligence and other crimes against these children.

A woman who is authentically from Akwasasne and Mohawk says that DeeDee Amey (as she calls herself sometimes) does not speak Mohawk but says that is because her grandmother spoke Cree.

Her stories are posted on many native websites as authentic and sold on Amazon as downloadable PDF files.

Kiiskeentum has blond hair and blue eyes (no proof of anything I know), doesn't understand Mohawk although claims to be Mohawk/Cree, has claimed to have credentials as a psychiatric nurse, and trained counselor -- not true as she is just now starting college.  Adopted twelve special needs kids in Utah and has had them removed from her care for gross negligence, has solicited money from faith based communities and others for their care when she was receiving over 10k a month in stipends for the children and her then husband conceded that the adoptions were a "money making enterprise." The stories she has published all over the web are gaining a legitimacy from being reposted by others.  She sells them on Amazon as PDFs and claims "authorship" not "as retold by" and I can not find any other sources of similar stories in those two tribes. She at times says she is a First Nations person and then that she does not claim to be, depending on circumstances.

Offline educatedindian

• Administrator
Re: KiiskeeN'Tum aka She Who Remembers
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2009, 07:34:38 am »
I should stress I haven't found any evidence of the most serious allegation, of harming or abusing her adopted children.

Keep in mind there are quite a few people using the online name She Who Remembers.

Most of what's online by her or about her is poetry, stories, and advice about adoption.

UCAN reposted one of her poems
http://www.ucan-online.org/legend.asp?legend=4847&category=3

Sells medicine bags.
http://tcmedicinebags.homestead.com/Medicine-Bags.html

Testimony in Parliament in Canada.
http://www2.parl.gc.ca/HousePublications/Publication.aspx?DocId=1032966&Language=E&Mode=1&Parl=36&Ses=1
http://www2.parl.gc.ca/CommitteeBusiness/CommitteeIndex.aspx?Cmte=HEAL&Language=E&Mode=1&Parl=36&Ses=1

And the only DeeDee Amey I found online were census records under that name of a woman who lived in Radcliffe KY and Gretna LA.

----------

http://www.mormonmohawk.com/
This site contains the musings of a Mohawk woman (KiiskeeN'tum) and a Mormon man (Kelly) who got married and are having lots of fun merging their lifestyles and cultures together.
We have pages dedicated to many different interests. Some of these include poetry, stories, prayers and plans. We have interests in mental disorders, adoption, Native American culture and many other areas. This site collects the eclectic musings that don't fit neatly into some other site. Some of these stories are ancient stories from the Mohawk people. Some are modern stories of our experiences. We have stories of the merging and clashing of societies. It's interesting to bring a Mohawk into the peaceful set-in-their-ways midst of Happy Valley (Orem, Utah).

-----------
Her bio from the same page.

-----------

KiiskeeN’tum, which means She Who Remembers, is of mixed Cree and Haudenosaunee (Mohawk) heritage....

She was raised by her Traditional Grandmother who was the local midwife and healer. She was chosen, while still very young, to carry or 'Remember' the history, stories, legends and Teachings as passed down to her by her Grandmother, and other Elders over the years since.

In the past, she has worked as a nurse, family counselor, healer, educator, trainer, life skills coach, and writes in her spare time. KiiskeeN’tum is also trained as a Master Practitioner of Neuro-Linguistic Programming.

....She lives according to her understandings of the Traditional teachings, beliefs and values of walking the Red Road. She is also a member of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints.

....These days her focus is on raising her second family of trans-racially adopted children. She is now blessed to be a stay at home mother and part time adoption consultant, seeking homes for infants and special needs children.