Author Topic: Carol Crystal Woman and Grandma Coyote  (Read 9827 times)

Offline kosowith

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
Carol Crystal Woman and Grandma Coyote
« on: March 02, 2009, 03:47:42 pm »
Has there been any research on these people? They say that several well known Indian artist are supporting/attending their Pow wows, but they sound a bit out there. There are a number of other members of this group, but I only took the top two for this post.

Carol Crystal Woman - Artist, Potter, Musician, Song Writer
~O Si Yo~ My Name is Carol, and Crystal Woman is my Ceremonial Name. Crystals have long been used to bring, carry, and enhance sound. This is where my name comes from, and why it was given to me..
My People are the Cherokee. I am a member of the Pan American Indian Association, The American Me'tis Aboriginal Association,Church of the Me'tis Tribe,Inc. U.S./Canada, and the Amonsoquath Cherokee People of Missouri. I am a writer of songs and chants, many are prayers for All People who are walking on our Mother the Earth. We come for the four directions, we are four colors, Red, Yellow, Black, White, and we are Earth's Children.

Fran “Grandma Coyote” Chastain is a native of the Illinois Ozarks.  She currently lives on the land in the Shawnee National Forest that was settled by her Great Great Great Grandfather, more than two hundred years ago.  As a child she learned about the plants and animals from her Father and Grandmother and is now devoting her retiring years to teaching others about nature and the ways of Creator through her stories, medicines and art.  She began her storytelling at an early age, entertaining her dog, her doll, her horse and a family full of cousins, until they would beg for mercy! Today Grandma Coyote can be found telling stories at pow wows, gatherings, rendezvous, historical events, churches, schools, libraries, senior centers… just about anywhere one or two people will stop long enough to listen!  Currently, she resides in Florida during the winter months and admits to being a "Snow Bird".

Offline that_dakota_kid

Re: Carol Crystal Woman and Grandma Coyote
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2009, 04:09:41 pm »
 She appears NOT to be genuine as I have yet to go to a stomp that had crystals being used and as far as other Cherokee ceremonies I don't know but stomps I do. Also, if there was ever a word that made cranks me everytime it would be the use of "chants" to discribe our singing. As it has been said over and over again chanting is something monks do. As a general rule, anyone who has an indian name with crystal in it is most likely a fraud and/or self given. I'd have to do more research but most all of those affiliations do not sound legit. Pan American Indian Association definately screams wannabe to me.

frederica

« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2009, 05:16:07 pm »
She is a member of these groups plus a few more.  Speaks for itself.  http://amonsoquathbandofcherokee.com/   and   http://www.lovinghandsinstitute.com/htm/paia.htm          That's that ugly totem pole that looks like it has big bird on it.  Plus, Ma Coyote Fran Chastain, Did they move the Ozarks to Ill.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2009, 05:34:12 pm by frederica »

Offline that_dakota_kid

« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2009, 06:09:03 pm »
Why do twinkies always gotta bring the thunderbeings into the mix and everyone wants to be heyoka. WHY? Do they think its a way to get away with whatever they want? Man, I'm sure if they really knew what it was to be they wouldn't want it being the ones I know got hit by lightning once or twice.

Offline Defend the Sacred

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2009, 11:58:28 pm »
Do they think its a way to get away with whatever they want?

Yeah, I think so.

the ones I know got hit by lightning once or twice.

Well, maybe if the wannabes/exploiters keep praying...  ;) 

Offline Ric_Richardson

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2009, 12:16:53 am »
Tansi;

Another one who claims to be Metis?  As a Metis person, living in a Metis community, I cannot think of ever having heard of a legitimate "Metis Aboriginal Association" or "Church of the Me'tis Tribe" either.  Sounds like someone is having trouble being acknowledged as an Aboriginal person and wants to ride on our coattails.

On another note, a "Tlingit" named "Kashka" was mentioned.  Was this person taken from the Yukon, many decades ago, for adoption?  I know that some of the children from Yukon were found in Florida, when the Nations were seeking their children.

Ric

frederica

« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2009, 12:19:57 am »
No I think Kashka worked for the oil companies before he retired to Flordia.

Offline Ric_Richardson

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2009, 01:59:35 am »
Thank you Frederica.  Is this person originally from Yukon or is he one of the Alaskan Tlingits?
Ric

Offline Smart Mule

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: March 03, 2009, 02:06:51 am »
He is Alaskan Tlingit and as Frederica mentioned he is a retired oil worker. 

edit* - Kashka used to be heavily involved in Florida AIM.  He stood up to the cops at the Pasco/Chasco protest in 2001.  I can't for the life of me figure out why he is hanging with these people. 
« Last Edit: March 03, 2009, 02:24:11 am by sky »

frederica

« Reply #9 on: March 04, 2009, 02:46:57 am »
Isn't he a storyteller, does some crafts.  It may be all he can attend in those areas.  Pretty sparse.

frederica

« Reply #10 on: March 06, 2009, 06:26:52 pm »
One of the problems in these areas is you never know how bad the gathering/powwow is until you get there.  It' usually a lesson learned for the next time.