Author Topic: Steve McCullough aka Iktomi Sha & Salt Creek Sundance  (Read 268719 times)

AskMeFirst

Re: Steve McCullough
« Reply #90 on: August 08, 2008, 12:04:27 pm »
AskMeFirst said:

"And who here cares about "correctness" or being "vague" or not? This is an internet message board LOL
People here speculate, quote "vague" newspaper articles, repeat gossip, rumor and bad-mouth medicine men! All you need to do is ask Steve. Call him. Stop all this internet crap and go to the man in question, that's all I'm saying.

Traditional people do not bad-mouth medicine men or put stock in an internet message board. I would hope that this board is in place for the gullible people out there- the interent ndns who seek to learn such things and can only do so via the internet. My hope is that my postings can at least give another side to the bashing that goes on here against someone I know personally. I just want to put to rest the misconceptions about Steve being a con-man and all the other things he is being accused of. Its not fair, not right and not true. The bottom line is that it can easily be remedied by just talking to him."

Thank you for your response, AskMeFirst.

Thank you for confirming that you care little about the accuracy of your statements.  Despite this, you want us to accept your assertion that Mr. McCullough is the real deal.  Your response made me realize that I myself was raising a concern in a rather vague way.  What I meant to say was: it is clear from the way you are expressing yourself that you know very  little about the Rosebud reservation, yet you are trying to make references to the reservation, and to traditional people who live there, as if you have a clear understanding of what is going on.  You clearly don't.

Although, like you, I choose to remain anonymous on this board, I still feel compelled to communicate with others in a respectful and truthful way.  I do not try to sound like I know much about something I know very little about.  And so, I try to refrain myself from saying too much, lest I lead astray those who may know even less than I do.   It is also true that, like many of us Settlers on this continent, I tend to think I know a lot more about Indian matters than I really do.  All the more reason to do what many Elders advise: practice silence.  There seems to be at least a few Lakotas on this board.  If we take the time to listen to what they are saying, we can learn something of benefit to ourselves and others.  We need not agree, but we should at least be wary of mixing things up further by speaking when we have little of substance to offer. 

I say this in a good way because, like you, I am concerned about the "gullible" - and I fear you may be one of these yourself.  I say these things not to disrespect your friend but because I know Elders, friends and relatives on Rosebud who have expressed concerns about him.

Thank you for your encouragement in inviting folks to seek out Mr. McCollough.  Since you are a close friend, perhaps you could assist in this matter.  Perhaps you could let your friend know that this discussion is going on about him and that he would be more than welcome to come on board and express whatever it is that he might want to express.  Clearly, he is not averse to using the internet, or to promoting his right to perform Lakota ceremony.  It would be wonderful if he could set everyone's heart at ease with his powerful, shamanic words of wisdom.  Perhaps there is something that the Lakota people on this board are missing and he actually HAS a good reason for standing in the center of a Lakota altar, for claiming to be a chief, and for selling Lakota ceremony. 

Respectfully, ska

When I re-read my message, I realized it may have sounded like I didn't care and I apologize if I came off that way. I DO care, that's why I'm here. It matters to me what people are saying about Steve, it matters to me that I be respectful. My elders taught me to be silent as well, but this board was pointed out to me by someone I know who said "Why do they hate Steve McCullough so?" I wanted to come here and find out why. With all the horrible things being said, I have the right to speak from my own experience with him so I am not "speaking with little substance to offer." I know the man personally and spend a lot of time with him.

I do not know about the reservations on Rosebud, I have never been to any of them. I do have friends who go to several different sundances there. I am not pretending to know anything about that, all I can speak about is what I know about McCullough. I know that he said he grew up on or around White River. Maybe I did not day "around" the first time, and I guess that would make a difference to those who do know.

I took a chance by saying all of the things I said here. I am sticking out my neck because I do understand about being traditional. I care about this way of life- it is my life, too. I just can't see why someone who helps people to pray is being persecuted this way. Maybe there are things that happened in the past with Steve that make all of you feel the way you do. I can only speak for what I have seen in the 5 years I have been around him. I know people who have been with him from the beginning, I know his family, I play an instrumental role in the ceremonies he does. I am not gullible. I have pursued plastic shaman for over 10 years via the internet as well as in my everyday walk. I know the difference. There is someone in my own family who tries to replicate things he saw once in a ceremony and he is Lakota. Yes, I try to talk to him, yes I try to make him see that what he is doing is wrong, but when someone wants power and has a grandiose opinion of themselves, it is difficult to reason with them. I do know the difference.

"Perhaps there is something that the Lakota people on this board are missing and he actually HAS a good reason for standing in the center of a Lakota altar, for claiming to be a chief, and for selling Lakota ceremony." 

Steve does not "sell" Lakota ceremony. Go back and read what I have said. If someone can enlighten me on this, I would be most appreciative.
I can say that I have watched Steve take money from his own pocket and give it to people coming from out of town to our sundance. A new group of full bloods from Pine Ridge came this year. I went to dinner with them - singers, who had nothing but good things to say about our dance.       

"It would be wonderful if he could set everyone's heart at ease with his powerful, shamanic words of wisdom." I am taking this as sarcasm here. If you are being serious, then I would question why you are using these terms. Steve is not a shaman. The word refers to and originates from practicing healers in Siberia.

"Clearly, he is not averse to using the internet, or to promoting his right to perform Lakota ceremony."
I don't know what your basis is for this comment, but Steve does not even own a computer. Last I heard, someone in his family managed an email address he had, but I'm not even sure he has one anymore. I communicate with him by phone or in person and always have and anyone here can do the same. Google his name and you will come across his contact info. If you truly want to pursue answers to your questions about him, go for it.

Just like me, everyone here is nothing more than a nameless, faceless entity that could be anybody from anywhere in the world, but I trust that some of you are the real deal and that is why I came here. I recognize a few of the names from another board I have read from and I know you are who you say you are. Consistency is a beautiful thing and I appreciate those of you who are as honest as you can be, for a internet message board anyway.

AskMeFirst

« Reply #91 on: August 08, 2008, 12:41:19 pm »
I'm not Lakota and have no personal stake in this except I wanted to point out that people who are personally involved in this situation seem to be loosing sight of the bigger picture. 

Reading through this I have to wonder ....

What makes it OK for Steve to ignore the wishes of the many Lakota people who don't want non native people leading ceremonies ?

If a few Elders gave their consent why should their feelings on this outwiegh all the other Lakota people and Elders who are saying NO ?

With all due respect, how do you know who has given their consent or who is against it? Is it by what you have read here on this message board?

If your friend invited you on a family vaction and 2 family members agreed it was OK and 8 more said it really wasn't OK , would you think it was OK to ignore the 8 and just pay attention to the 2 who said you could come? What kind of a person would do that? If you wouldn't do that to a friends family why is it OK to do it to the Lakota people?

When so many traditional people have asked non native people to stop leading these sensitive cultural practices why does Steve think he knows better about whats good for the long term health of these ceremonies ?

Askmefirst may say good things about Steves character - but this really isn't about Steves general character - it's about what happens way too often, when non native people lead traditional ceremonies . The ceremonies get corupted and degraded and people get hurt. Even if 9 times out of ten this didn't happen ( and I think the odds are much worse ) most societies prohibit activities that go wrong that frequently. It just isn't worth it.  I don't understand how an ethical person would feel OK about doing this when so many say NO and when there is such good reasons behind this.

Clearly, the need to regulate who does ceremony is founded, I agree. Too many plastic shaman are out there doing bad things, hurting people, charging money etc. All I'm saying is that McCullough is not one of them. And I have to ask again, how do we know that somewhere down the line he does not have any "blood"? I was taught these things are in the DNA. Not just anyone can perform a ceremony. The spirits would not come. You cannot run off with a medicine man's bundle and do what he does, it would not work. The spirits know the difference and they know better than anyone on this planet who is who. IMHO

I hear people justify this sort of stuff saying " People Praying anywhere is good". If people use that justification then it's also true that non Lakota people don't need to use Lakota traditions to Pray, because "anywhere" includes "somewhere else". People need to learn to Pray where they are standing . And for non Lakota related people I can't see any reason that needs to be at a Sundance.   

It's true, you can pray anywhere. How people choose to pray is an individual decision and I will not stand in the way of prayer. I will however, do what has to be done to protect these ways from be bastardized, and have. I do not judge people for how they look and that is what this all boils down to IMHO. But unless you have researched someones family tree, you have no idea what blood they carry.  I'm no scientist, but DNA is DNA. Our past speaks to us in ways few understand. I'm not saying Steve is Lakota or anything like that, so let me make that perfectly clear, my point is that you can't always tell who is who nowadays just by looking at someone. Well, some nuagers might be able to, but I can't.   

Just what I found myself thinking after reading this the last few days ....

AskMeFirst

« Reply #92 on: August 08, 2008, 12:44:04 pm »
Just to add, Ask Me First says that traditional people do not bad mouth medicine men - that is true but Steve is no medicine man. And as a non native does not have the right to be leading a Sundance. Since there are over 30 Sundances on Rosebud alone I do not know what Sundance you are referring to when you say "The Sundance on Rosebud"

Re-read the thread- there have been a lot of medicine men's names said here with snide remarks thrown in, Steve included.   

AskMeFirst

« Reply #93 on: August 08, 2008, 12:48:11 pm »
What I want is for non native people to start respecting what the large majority of Native Elders say , which is that non native people should not be leading traditional ceremonies.

It would be up to tribal Elders to decide whether or not it's OK to practice another tribes ceremonies. lf a substantial body of tribal Elders decide it is OK and they agree to be responsible to see these traditions are maintained in a good way, then I would assume these Elders knew what they were doing , and would be there to make sure things didn't go off the rails .

I completely agree with what you propose here. If this were to happen then all corruption would cease. Only problem is, no one would be able to agree with who the Elders should be, and even then would argue and dispute what they said. Sorry to say, I fear that would be the reality of it.

Offline Superdog

« Reply #94 on: August 08, 2008, 02:46:29 pm »
Well the discussion sure got lively.  I just wanted to go back to the articles I posted and address a question to AskMeFirst.  I respect your desire to defend a friend AskMe so you'll find no sarcasm here.  Just honest questions all to add to this discussion.  My aim here is to address the things you want answered. 

Why do people not like Steve on this board?

There's the obvious things. 

1.  A non-Lakota running a Lakota sundance. 
Would you agree AskMe that there are ALWAYS gonna be people who will object to this??  Regardless of who the individual is there are always hard line traditional individuals who will just not agree to this being a good idea ever. 

2.  The newspaper articles about the Sundance involving Steve.  While I know this dance is held on public land and there's not much you can do about having the press show up....there seems to be a whole lot of news about this event.  More articles than I've posted here and all of them involving Steve.  This suggests STRONGLY that the press is encouraged to interview people and report on a CEREMONY.  You may have individuals (even Steve himself) saying the press should be discouraged from advertising, but the end result is there are ads and articles in the local papers before the event and then articles about the even after it happens.  Quite a lot of them.  This is another thing people brought up with these traditions would object against.  Even if it happened on their own rez they'd have something to say about it.

3.  The pattern of information in those articles. 
I've yet to come across one those articles that DOESN'T say this is a LAKOTA SUNDANCE run by a Lakota Medicine Man named Steve McCullough.  I've said before when introducing the articles in this particular discussion that facts in those articles can only TRULY be attributed to the author of the articles.  That's to be fair and honest about these articles....but.....a similar pattern of information flows from them...
That pattern of information also contains "consistant inconsistencies" about Steve's origins and heritage.  The two articles I've posted are both written to present Steve in a completely positive light and both apparently written with interviews with Steve himself, yet they say different things about him.  This pattern exists in ALL the articles I've come across about Steve and this sundance.  Askme...if, before you met Steve, you came across these articles yourself and saw all of this conflicting information apparently come from the man himself....wouldn't you question things?? 

4.  The pattern of inconsistencies contained in the articles also exists with words he's spoken to individuals.  There are people on this board who've also known Steve or have heard him speak first hand.  Those that have known him for a long time have all heard the same inconsistencies come directly from him.

5. Personal accounts.  There are individuals on this board with personal accounts of Steve making promises and not fulfilling them, taking money, etc etc....

6. The inevitable conclusion of running ceremonies far from their place of origin.  You can pretty much guarantee that there are people showing up to this Sundance...they're gonna take what they can get and somewhere along the line open up a website selling "the secrets of the Lakota sundance".  There will be individuals coming away from this particular sundance with a sense of entitlement that they understand Lakota spirituality better than other Indian people or even better than other Lakota people.

This is just a cross-section of the objections I've seen here.  I'm sure there's more and I'm also sure everyone doesn't share all of these objections.  These aren't unreasonable in my opinion however.

The last one (#6) is probably the one that scares people the most and unfortunately I see this pattern of behavior in your posts AskMe.  You seem to have a sense of entitlement to these ways....singing at ceremonies, sundance...etc. etc. yet you've never even been to the places where they come from.  How do you even know what you're being taught is right???  But you're kinda preaching to individuals here that it couldn't be anything but right.....do you speak Lakota AskMe??  Have you ever been to Rosebud and met elders there???  Have you spent time in that community to see what people there say about these ways and how you're doing them???

I don't ask those questions in a mean way....you don't have to answer them.  They are for you to consider for yourself.  You're stepping in the middle of something that truly only has to deal with people from the community Steve's representing and Steve himself. 

Your defense of your friend is noted.  It's also admirable.  We should all have such good friends.  But the emotion bordering on anger I'm seeing in these posts leads me to believe that you think you have the right to speak about another people's ways because you practice them after being taught by someone who's not one of them.  Can you see how that might turn against you??  Can you also see how that behavior STRENGTHENS the arguments against having these ceremonies in a place away from where it really comes from???

Just thoughts to consider.  We're all just humble human beings.  Even Steve.  None of us are immune from mistakes and I think maybe somewhere along the line Steve's made some, but doesn't do anything to rectify them or even acknowledge them.  Askme...right now your just kind of jumping on the wagon and riding it out hoping it's gonna be okay....meanwhile there's a steep downhill coming up and no one's talking about it.

Superdog

Offline Defend the Sacred

• Global Moderator
« Reply #95 on: August 08, 2008, 04:16:26 pm »
Good post, Superdog.

You know, AskMeFirst, you're giving me flashbacks to the surreal "What makes an NDN an NDN" thread: http://www.newagefraud.org/smf/index.php?topic=1871.0  I'd kindly suggest you read the explanations there. Like the querent in that thread, you seem really, really unclear on what makes someone part of a traditional culture, and what gives someone the right to lead ceremony. Everyone has the right to pray. Praying is not the same as presuming to lead a traditional ceremony. You may be unclear on that, but traditional people are not.

Your words are full of entitlement and projection. You are here, anonymously, on the Internet, yelling at people that they are all anonymous and uninformed netizens. You are mistaken and hypocritical. Sorry if you feel that is impolite, but people have been polite with you and what you have given in return is offense. It is racist for you to think that you know more about these things than the very people whose ceremonies you feel you have a right to. You are mimicking them with one hand and insulting their intelligence with the other.

Like many outsiders to NDN communities, you seem to think things like standards and leadership are all a matter of opinion, and any stranger's opinion carries equal weight. Weird. And wrong. A very netizen view, but not a traditional one. Traditional communities know who the elders and authorized ceremonial leaders are. While everyone is just human, and not everyone has equal respect or agreement in every situation, or concerning every individual,  there is far more consensus in these matters than you are aware of.  How could you be aware of it? You are an outsider.

Google "Protection of Ceremonies" and "Declaration of War."  While you will find exceptions to these standards if you look hard enough, these statements agreeing that outsiders should not be leading NDN ceremonies have very broad-based support. As others have pointed out, there's something really wrong with violating a community agreement just because you can find a minority of dissenters (usually because it lines their pockets or feeds their egos).

It's really clear to me that your whole idea of what is traditional has been shaped by outsiders to NDN culture. It doesn't really matter how much verbiage you throw around about it, your words have already made it abundantly clear that you are an outsider, and uninformed or misinformed about these issues. I understand you feel loyal to your friend, but I feel that loyalty is blinding you to reality. The reality of NDN people may be foreign and confusing to you, but that is no reason for you to shout in their faces and insult them.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2008, 04:26:34 pm by Kathryn NicDh? na »

• Global Moderator
« Reply #96 on: August 08, 2008, 06:13:02 pm »
I was told that it was  ...  sanctioned by Vernal Cross and Elmer Running.

Found this in another thread:

At least a year ago there was a website made for Elmer. He is a legitimate spiritual leader for the Lakota. The website maker seemed a bit naive about the outcome and as most here could have predicted, things turned bad. Here is whats in its place. Just thought it should be noted in case anyone comes up claiming Elmer Running is thei9r teacher.

http://www.norbertrunning.com/

Thanks to all who have helped Elmer

It is with a heavy heart that I announce that Elmer Running's website has been taken down from the internet. While I had great hope that this would help spread a positive message to others about the pipe way, and get some much needed financial support for Elmer, it has, in fact done just the opposite.

Donations to Elmer have been less than $200 sent in 3 years (mostly from sundancers). Yet, fools-who-call-themselves-wisemen have used information on the site to steal thousands of dollars from people, proclaiming that Elmer trained or endorsed them in some way.

This has come back on Elmer in a negative way and may even force his involvement in legal actions. I can't even come close to describing how much this sickens and angers me.

I ask that all of us spread the word through our personal contacts and address books to let everyone know that Elmer does not endorse nor train ANYONE INCLUDING HIS OWN RELATIVES, in in doing ceremony. Please also remind people that anyone who charges money for a ceremony is illegitimate. Perhaps we can at least limit these Grifters' opportunity to steal in the name of tunkasila.

Offline ska

« Reply #97 on: August 09, 2008, 06:47:37 am »
In a previous post, I said this regarding Steve McCullough:

"Clearly, he is not averse to using the internet, or to promoting his right to perform Lakota ceremony."

And AskMeFirst replied:

"I don't know what your basis is for this comment, but Steve does not even own a computer. Last I heard, someone in his family managed an email address he had, but I'm not even sure he has one anymore. I communicate with him by phone or in person and always have and anyone here can do the same. Google his name and you will come across his contact info. If you truly want to pursue answers to your questions about him, go for it."

I can assure you, AskMeFirst, I am not making anything up, but merely reflecting on what I have seen on the internet with my own eyes.  For example, at the website www.saltcreeksundance.com, one can find many different topics in the forum.  There is even an area called "Steve's Forum".  Please allow me to quote from there directly:

"This is a forum for specific questions that only Grandfather Steve Mccullough can answer for folks. [my emphasis]If you submit a question here it might be in another forum or Grandfather Steve may have asked someone else to answer it. Please remember steve this forum is for questions of a spiritual nature. Please respect Grandfather steve's time and not abuse this forum with questions that can be answered by other folks. Steve has worked hard to find folks to work with the forums that will get accurate answeres to folks in a good way."

The above quote from this website seems to indicate that Mr. McCullough is clearly able to access the internet and seems to promote this method of seeking his guidance and accessing the traditional Lakota knowledge that so many non-Natives are convinced he possesses. 

There are many disrespectful things on this sight, and the assertion is repeatedly made that this gathering is a "Lakota Sun Dance".  There is also reference made to "protocols" , a term my Lakota husband always laughs at and says will only be found in ceremonial gatherings dominated by non-Natives.  All and sundry are invited to learn sacred songs and people are encouraged to purchase tapes in order to learn these songs "for educational purposes", indeed a suggestion is made as to which specific recordings should be purchased.

And so, AMF, I can assure you that I am not conjuring up accusations from the air or making things up, I am only reflecting on what Mr. McCullough and his supporters are putting out on the internet.

By the way, I have not seen any indication that this man even speaks Lakota which, to me, would be the bare minimum that a reasonable person would expect of one conducting ceremonies of a particular culture. 

I have never met a single Elder or traditional person on the rez who thinks a non-Lakota should stand in the center of a Lakota altar.   The idea that someone who doesn't speak the language can sing the songs in ceremony or conduct the ceremony is simply laughed at!  However, far away from the reservations, the norm seems to be non-Lakotas and non=speakers running Lakota ceremonies. 

• Global Moderator
« Reply #98 on: August 09, 2008, 05:47:17 pm »
www.saltcreeksundance.com

The site's a combination of misinformation and shameon how-to. Their attempt at Cheyenne is grammatically wrong, but in a form common in books written by outsiders (usually from a white, colonial source).

http://saltcreeksundance.com/component/option,com_prayercenter/Itemid,26/
Inipi ceremonies that are sanctioned by Steve McCullough

So, he's taken it upon himself now to "sanction" spinoff ceremonies. And it looks like you can even submit your request to be "sanctioned" over the Internet.

ETA: Googling "Steve McCullough" and Lakota turned up a number of workshops at Nuage events. Even better, it looks he's hit the European pay to pray circuit, all of which, of course, call him a "Lakota Medicineman":

Judging by a bunch of the hits in Dutch, including these:

http://www.inbalance-info.com/index.php?pageid=8
  April 2008
Ceremony Steve McCullough, Lakota traditions and rituals
Cost: tbd

http://www.grensgeval.org/grensverruiming/links.html
Steve McCullough, Lakota-medicijnman komt regelmatig naar Europa, en komt dan ook voor ceremonies op Grensgeval.
Google translation:
Steve McCullough, Lakota-medicijnman meet regularly to Europe, and therefore for ceremonies on Grensgeval.

http://compadres.nl/welkom/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=361&Itemid=87
Er worden veel Lakota songs gezongen. There are many Lakota songs sung. De hut wordt geleid door Madelon Witte die sinds 1997 intensief werkt binnen de Lakota-traditie. The hut is led by Madelon White since 1997 intensive work within the Lakota tradition. Ze draagt een heilige pijp, is zonnedanser, gaat regelmatig op vision quest en werkt nauw samen met Steve McCullough, een zeer gerespecteerde medicijnman binnen de Lakota-traditie. She wears a sacred pipe, zonnedanser, regularly vision quest and works closely with Steve McCullough, a highly respected medicijnman within the Lakota tradition. Ze ondersteunt (mede met de ontvangen donaties) projecten die ten goede komen aan de indianen. She supports (with the co received donations) projects that benefit the Indians.

it looks like he was over there leading ceremonies for white people, for a fee.

These, complete with Reiki and Celestine Prophecies and "Schamanisches" seems to indicate he's spawned European groups that now perform sweats and "vision quests":

http://translate.google.com/translate?hl=en&sl=de&u=
http://reiki-schmetterling.spaces.live.com/blog/&sa=X&oi=translate&resnum=3&ct=result&
prev=/search%3Fq%3D%2522Steve%2BMcCullough%2522%2BLakota%26start%3D30%26hl%3Den%26
client%3Dfirefox-a%26rls%3Dorg.mozilla:en-US:official%26sa%3DN

http://translate.google.com/translate?hl=en&sl=nl&u=
http://compadres.nl/welkom/index.php%3Foption%3Dcom_content%26task%3Dview%26id%3D361%26Itemid
%3D87&sa=X&oi=translate&resnum=2&ct=result&prev=/search%3Fq%3D%2522Steve%2BMcCullough%2522%2B
Lakota%26start%3D30%26hl%3Den%26client%3Dfirefox-a%26rls%3Dorg.mozilla:en-US:official%26sa%3DN

(You'll have to copy and paste those in, or just do the Google search and hit "translate". I put in carriage returns so this would be readable. There are more like that; these are just some of them.)
« Last Edit: August 09, 2008, 08:06:29 pm by Kathryn NicDh? na »

Offline Ingeborg

• Friends
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #99 on: August 09, 2008, 11:08:50 pm »
Yes, he is doing ceremonies in Europe; I found events with him in Austria, Germany, Belgium
and the Netherlands. As far as I saw, he seems to present himself not as a white person, but
as a Lakota - a or sometimes even *the* Lakota medicine man. Although this could be explained as us Europeans misinterpreting McCullough all the time, I also found an interview
of McCullough done in Belgium, in which he in fact presents himself as a Lakota, an AIM
member, an activist, and medicine man.

This is from an esoteric forum from Austria - please not the claim of having been adopted:

http://forum.wurzelwerk.at/index.php?PHPSESSID=e3745ff5575c581c273047e56df96b82&topic=3053.0

Shadow_Viper (Guest)
"Who's interested in meeting a Lakota Elder?
October 15, 2005, 19:44

Greetings,
well, there's the possibility that an elder I know may be able to come to Vienna for 1 or 2
days of consultations (talking circles). My question is who would be interested in such an
event? For traveling expense resp other expense for this elder so that he can stay here
(rent for a room, food etc) we will have to ask for about EURO 30-50 per person. The more
 persons take an interest and participate, the less we will be able to ask per person. Due
to space available, participation will be restricted to a max of 30 persons per daily event.

ATTENTION: this does not mean we 'sell' things - it just that I don't have the money to pay
the entire travel expense for him. When he comes, he will of course teach us during these
events and pass on his experience he was able to gather since he walks on the Red Road.

A few details about him:

His name is Steve McCullough and he is the Sundance Chief of Salt Fork Sundance for many
years, the first sundance which was done East of the Mississippi. He is also a pipe carrier
and a ceremonial leader after the Lakot tradition. He was adopted by the Chasing Horse
family who are descendants of the famous Sioux leader Crazy Horse. Steve was with the
American Indian Movement (AIM) right from the start and participated in the occupation of
the Wounded Knee Memorial in 1973 in which Native American activists were fighting FBI and
 US army soldiers due to violations of civil rights and similar violations. Steve also leads
sweatlodge ceremonies resp. Vision Quests, Sundance, and Pipe Ceremonies. He is a
person I personally hold in high esteem, not only for what he experienced and for his
abilities, but more so because his not egotistical and humble nature. This will be the first
chance we get in Austria to come into contact with him. If everything goes well, it is highly
possible he will come again to do ceremonies like e.g. sweatlodges for us in central Europe.

Udiyvli Galegi
the Shadow Viper"

http://home.arcor.de/wildbison/8.htm

"On June 3, 2005, a white buffalo was born in Shelby County (USA).
Buffalo Crossing Restaurant & Family Fun Ranch.
In a 90 minut ceremony, the calf was given the Lakota name "Cante Pejuta" (Medicine Heart).
As a symbol for unity, peace, and hope for all nations: red, yellow, black and white, Steve
McCullough interpretes the birth of "Cante Pejuta". Steve McCullough lead the ceremony and
thanked the Creator for this gift."

http://reiki-schmetterling.spaces.live.com/blog/cns!62C0D0B17695AD16!1008.entry

"I just remembered I meant to show you a photo of Steve MC Cullough [sic].
Like I said in another entry Steve is the medicine man from Dakota USA who comes to visit
Elli twice every year to do sweatlodges with us. Steve leads the annual Salt-Creek-Sundance
in America and supports his people and at the same time is so humble one can hardly
describe it. I love this person very much. I am looking forward to see him again in autumn.
his time I will ask Steve for a healing, too."

http://reiki-schmetterling.spaces.live.com/photos/
The last two photos show McCullough.

This is the interview:
http://www.alcyone-vzw.be/dagallemaal2004.html

"An Article from "Hello all". March 2, 2004
Medicine Man Stephen McCullough leads Indian ceremonies in Flanders

'I don't mean to mission anyone, but the ways of our forefathers can help you,
too'

He fought during the occupation in Wounded Knee, then put down the arms and became an
outstanding medicine man. Stephen McCullough lives according to the traditions of his
people, the North American Lakota Sioux Indians, and gets invited to Europe regularly to
lead rituals. 'As Indian spirituality is universal and can contribute to save the planet', he
explains. [snip explanation of WK1]
In 1973, the Wounded Knee Memorial was occupied by Indian activists who stood up for
their own culture and the protection of their forefathers' sacred places. The American
government hit back hard. There was a bloody encounter and in its aftermath, several
armed confrontations with American police happened in various Indian reservations. In one
case, two FBI agents were shot during a raid. An Indian, Leonard Peltier, is still doing a
lifelong term in prison for this. "A murderer", according to FBI which still today resists Peltier
being let free, although no evidence has been presented. "A political prisoner, the Indian
Nelson Mandela", say North American sympathizers. [...]

An outstanding Lakota medicine man, Stephen McCullough, will come to Belgium to lead
certain rituals, among them the sweat lodge, a ceremony of cleansing and healing, and the
initiation ritual vision quest. McCullough is a 'pipe carrier', a man who has the gift of making
contacts to the spirit world and to help other people with this. Before, Stephen McCullough
was a commited Indian activist. 'I lived on the Pine Ridge reservation in South Dakota and
little by little discovered our cultural heritage', he explained when I met him for a sweatlodge ceremony in Flanders. 'The book 'Bury My Heart at Wounded Knee' by Dee
Brown, published in 1970, changed my life completely. I became conscious of our culture, of the importance of the life vision for the whole world. Three years later I participated in the
armed occupation of Wounded Knee. I was armed all the time, too. In this time, there was
murder and rape on all reservations, not seldom by police or by militias supported by
police. When I could not stay deaf to the call of the pipe, of spirituality, I put down the arms
for nonviolent activism. It was daring at that time, but with the actions about the Black Hills
where it was about protecting of ceremonial sacred grounds and Indian burial grounds, I
and others proved that one can get respects and results without arms, too.'

How did you discover that you must work with this Indian spirituality?
I never asked for this. I negated the call as long as possible. Then I got a medicine bag from
someone. I didn't want this. I was an armed activist. I gave the bag to a medicine man I was
a friend of. Taking a detour, the bag came back to me. I saw that this was my fate, my call.
So I took up the pipe and began to lead ceremonies. Also the Sundance. The government
tried to boycott us with this for years. But I really resisted against the call. After my activist
time, I saw quite a different future for myself. I meant to think of myself. To earn good money. To find a wife, to have children and grandchildren. So it was certainly not my ambition to become a medicine man. I retreated into nature for four days to think. The spirits came to me and asked me to trust in their support and protection.

Of course you had hallucinations after 4 days of sacrifice.
No, I did not hallucinate, it was a real contact with the spirit world. As an aside, we don't use
hallucinogenic substances in our tradition. I was told to make a wish, as a token that the
spirits meant well. I asked for the protection of my father-in-law who was in hospital and
was very sick. His kidneys were blocked, he was almost blind after a stroke, and had survived a heart failure. My father-in-law has been a died-in-the-wool atheist for all his life.
He recovered quickly and wanted to go home. He lived for years and dedicated these
years to Creator. This convinced me. Through contact with the spirit world I can really help
people. Every day I see the work of the spirits about me.

Why is Indian spirituality relevant for Europeans?
Because it is a universal philosophie, no religion. The only reason it is seen as a religion is
for fiscal and other practical reasons. It is a way of thinking and a way of life, based on
respect for all life and all natural elements. From the conviction that everything is one. There
is BTW a really beautiful and simple Lakota prayer with the title "Mitakuye oyasin", "we are
all related". This is a philosophy which can help everybody to lead a decent life in dignity,
whether they are Indian or European, African or Asian. At the same time, it is more than a
way of life. Through our ceremonies, we get into contact with the spirit world, the world of
our ancestors who can help, heal and protect us. This does not mean all problems will be
solved with this. We must do something about it ourselves. Besides my spiritual occupation,
I lead a normal life as a husband and father.

We find such spiritual traditions all over the world. What makes the Indian spiritual traditions
so unique?
Many original spiritual traditions, e.g. that of European druids, were decapitated by
Christianity. But our tradition has been passed on by one generation to the next for centuries
and remained undefiled. From the end of the 15th century America has been colonized and
they tried to break our culture. This almost happened, but not completely. There were
always persons who, underground if need be, protected our culture and passed on traditions and ceremonies. Therefore we are in contact with the well of our culture. This can
be an advantage for others, too. This does not mean I don't respect the values of other
cultures or spiritual currents. When I lead a ceremony in Flanders, I first ask the agreement
of nature and of the earth here to be able to work. I don't want to mission. I don't want
followers. I want to help people and make them face life in a certain way. Everyone can walk
 the Indian path. Even someone who believes in something different, a Catholic, a Protestant
or Muslim, can be called to do Indian spirituality. This depends indeed on the Great Spirit
and the help of our forefathers.

If spirituality is so strong, why is the genocide of your people not prevented?
Up to Wounded Knee the Indians have often won against white armies. We fought with the
same military means, had modern guns. But the murder at Wounded Knee withdrew a
definite strike of massive resistance against the white government. About 24 years later,
World War 1 set the whole world on fire and set armies against each other with gas,
machine guns, tanks, and planes. When there was still a broad Indian resistance, the
American government used means to eradicate us. Seen in perspective, this protected our
people. Now we must go and spread the message of peace and respect for mother earth
to all human beings.

Not all Indian representatives are happy about this. Some think that it should be forbidden for non-Indians to do ceremonies like the Sun Dance.
I am convinced that the elders who have kept traditions alive and passed them to us
understand openness. At least as long as it happens correctly and with respect. But there is
also another side. From the 60ies, interested Europeans came to Indian reservations to
learn about traditions. They were welcomed by our people, treated as family. Some have
abused this. They made films, wrote books, took names, used Indian images and symbols,
called themselves a therapeut and earned much money with this. This exploitation was
wrong and we don't want to have it. But this does not mean we will exclude ourselves
completely. The movement for Indian rights received much support from the outside during
the last decade. There is no colour or race for the spirits.

You believe in the bond between nature and man. Nature is endangered all over the world.
Is there a way back?
We are still a unit with nature and with the spirit world. I have placed my sacred altar at many
different places of the world. Also at places where plants were dying and waters were
withour life. With the help of the spirits and a greater awareness of the local population,
such places can become viable again. This can happen everywhere. Same with humans.
There is war and violence all over the world. Does that mean we must not try and do
something about this? The more people are aware of our relationship with creation and  life
as a way to learn respect, the closer we come to an unification of the planet. Mitakuye
Oyasin: we are one. If I can contribute a little bit, I have fulfilled my life's mission.

DOMINIQUE TRACHET"

Offline Ingeborg

• Friends
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #100 on: August 10, 2008, 03:32:30 pm »
Here's a few more sites I found on McCullough's activities in Europe:

http://compadres.nl/welkom/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=361&Itemid=87

"Inipiweekend (Lakota traditie) 25-27/4
written by  AndrĂ©
Wednesday 16 April 2008

Hi dear people, from April 25 to April 27 there's a 'mixed' (for men and women) Inipi
weekend in the town of Epe. The weekend takes place under the sign of spring. There
will be two huts and as usual prominence for the songs, for Lakota tradition, and talking
circles will be held. Certainly, after the ceremonies with Steve, there will be many
questions about the songs. They are going to take a substantial place during this
weekend.
We will also do two exercises which can support your own process. The other 'mixed'
events in 2008 from May 30 to June 1: Lasse from Germany will pour an eagle hut and
share about the tradition he knows.
June 27-29: Supportive Inipi weekend for the Sun Dance of medicineman Steve
McCullough in Indiana (US)
August 8-10: Inipi ceremonies in which much is shared about Sun Dance
October 3-5: Inipi ceremonies, songs, Lakota tradition
November 21-23: Inipi ceremonies, songs, Lakota tradition

For newcomers, here's more details about the weekend in Epe, the sweatlodge, the
route etc. Please let us know if you're interested. I hope that I can welcome a fine group
of people in sunny Epe. Mitakuye oyasin, Madelon

The ceremony: The sweatlodge is an old ceremony which gained in strength after
White Buffalo Calf Women gave a sacred pipe to the Lakota Indians. It is a cleansing
ceremony wit a healing effect. Greatt [sic] Spirit (wakan tanka) and spirit helpers
(tunkashila ' s [sic]) will be invited to visit us and to help us to walk our path in beauty.
Everyone knows it is not always easy to be human. We always lose focus of important
things and lose connection. Sometimes we don't know how to go on, sometimes we get
sick. The sweatloge (the inipi) cleans you (physically, emotionally, mentally, and
spiritually), heals you and takes you back to the centre, to what it is all about. In the
inipi we ask for blessings, we pray for each other, for ourselves, and all our relations
(this is expressed with the term: mitakuye oyasin). We thank the seven generations
preceding us and ask for the help of those seven generations which will follow us.
Lakota songs will be sung. The lodge will be lead by Madelon Witte who since 1997
works intensely in the Lakota tradition. She carries a sacred pipe, is a sundancer,
does vision quests regularly and cooperates with Steve McCullough, a very respected
medicine man in the Lakota tradition. She supports (with the donations received)
projects for Indians.

Possibilities and contact
You can ask for a sweatlodge ceremony any time. The inipi's [sic] take place in Epe or
in a place you organize. There is the further possibility to participate in a weekend in
Epe during which two inipi-ceremonies will be held. The advantage of one of these
weekends is that you can go deeper and there will be more room to share. There is
more time for prayer and songs in the tradition.

You can contact Madelon Witte,  024-3220828
Emailadres: Madelon77@versatel.xx
This e-mail address is protected against spambots, you need Javascript to look at it.

Location and cost
Centrum Oostraven is at the borders of a forest looking across meadows. It is beautiful
and quiet there. We will stay in a little house with 5 bedrooms for several persons.
There is a small kitchen and a large livingroom. The cost for this house is EURO 450.
This sum will be split by the number of participants. When there are 10 participants, this
will be EURO 45 per person for one weekend. A further EURO 35 must be paid for
expenses (cost of transport, overhead, wood, stones, herbs, cloth etc for the
sweatlodge). Usually, a donation is given, too. The group will take care for their own
meals in mutual agreement.

Weekend agenda
You are welcome Friday from 5 p.m. Try to arrive before 8 p.m. Most meals will be eaten
together. First preparations for a first hut will take place (sawing wood, cover the hut,
make prayer flags etc). The following day, we will do a talking circle, practice songs,
and perhaps will do another lodge in the evening. The second lodge can also take
place Sunday. Every time, different issues, topics, and practice shall be in focus during
one weekend.

We try to close Sunday 4 p.m.
 [...]
Laatst geupdate op ( Tuesday 29 April 2008 )

http://groups.msn.com/HetHuisje---/general.msnw?action=get_message&mview=1&ID_Message=842

"From: MSN NicknameBenjamin2Bears  (Original Message)   
Sent: 10/29/2007 1:59 PM

Dear people,
this is to inform you of the coming of a medecine man I'm a friend of and the healing
ceremonies he may lead. I will be in Germany November 1, and they're fully booked,
but there are still vacancies for the weekend in the town of Loenen. Also click at Canka
Luta [sic].
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The weekend with Steve this year will take place from Friday, November 16 till Sunday,
November 18 in the town of Loenen. For new visitors of this site, Steve McCullough is a
widely rspected Lakota medicine man and Sundance leader with whom we are already
working for years. He is a wise man with integrity. In the ceremonies in Europe and in
his Sundance in Indiana, he has the role of a median (intercessor) between our world
and the spirit world. To experience his teachings and his ceremonies has a very
nourishing and healing effect on many levels. Before you go into these ceremonies,
you must study the article "Asking for help in the Lakota tradition" in order to better
understand what the ceremony contents. You will read there that you are also right with
Steve for specific help. Even if you're an 'old hand' you must study the article again so
that you are fully aware what this old and sacred ceremony is about and how important
the focus on prayer and the support is. We see much sense in this. So does Steve. We
want to thank you for all contributions for the ceremonies. We hope to welcome a nice
group of people at Loenen.
We want to give everyone the possibility to get help. For the persons who cannot visit
this weekend for lacking time or lacking funds, there is a 'loose' ceremony on
Thursday evening, November 15. This ceremony is for persons who won't come to the
weekend. Other possibilities:

November 1-2 in the town of Gangelt/Germany with Ellie and Rolf (004924542802),
(booked out unfortunately, but he will be back next year)
November 10: near St. Niklaas in Belgium with Hilde (0032 93467588).
All these ceremonies are well visited, therefore please make a contact. Don't try to visit
several ceremonies so that other people have the chance to participate."

In the link section of the following site:
http://www.grensgeval.org/grensverruiming/36-bewoners/46-links.html?tmpl=component&print=1&page=

# Canku Luta
"Steve McCullough, Lakota medicineman, comes to Europe regularly and then also
comes to Grensgeval for ceremonies."

Another ad for McCullough in Europe. Please take due note these people are also cooperating with Mala Pope:

http://www.inbalance-info.com/index.php?pageid=7

"Lectures at In Balance
We also organize trainings, lectures, an ceremonies for others at our premises, so e.g.:
[...]
- Steve McCullough, on Lakota traditions, spirituality, and rituals
- Mala Spotted Eagle and Sky Pope, on Shoshoni traditions and Nanish Shontie, a
new form of living together

Meetings can be arranged on demand: Steve McCullough, healings followed by a  ceremony
Sky Pope, women's circle, on the position of female power and the connection with mother earth
Mala Spotted Eagle Pope, men's circle, on the position of the man in connection with his goal in life

Please inquire about fees"

Offline Cetan

• Hoka Hey
« Reply #101 on: August 11, 2008, 05:13:03 pm »
I do know that Darlene Cross, Vernal's widow who keeps his altar, has said that his ceremonies are faked and his is not doing anything under any authority from their direct family (it is true that Evan White Face is a cousin). I asked some people who are close with Elmer Running and were in Indiana with him why he pulled out of that Sundance and was told there were a lot of different stories so they didnt want to say what may be rumor but that he did leave that Sundance and did not want to be associated with it.  AMF still has not said who gave a medal to Steve and put a bonnet on Evans and no onme at home (Rosebud) had any knowlege of it happening so I am still not sure who has authorized Steve to be running a Sundance. One of the basic issues is a non-Lakota running a Lakota ceremony, actually a non NDN running a ceremony; there are other tribes who have Sundances and similar ceremonies but they are done under their own altars. Read the Protection of Ceremonies Proclamation, it is very clear.

Offline Creative Native

« Reply #102 on: August 11, 2008, 08:24:41 pm »
AMF still has not said who gave a medal to Steve and put a bonnet on Evans and no onme at home (Rosebud) had any knowlege of it happening so I am still not sure who has authorized Steve to be running a Sundance. One of the basic issues is a non-Lakota running a Lakota ceremony, actually a non NDN running a ceremony; there are other tribes who have Sundances and similar ceremonies but they are done under their own altars. Read the Protection of Ceremonies Proclamation, it is very clear.

It's been said several times that names will not be mentioned unless the people that did it come on and say so.

As for people not knowing some things that went on that's understandable isn't it? sometimes it takes the moccasin telegraph awhile. LMAO  Trust me, The word wll get around. just be patient.

You know, it seems kind of strange that over 20 chiefs from all over (and no not wasicu chiefs) would accept someone and dance along someone at a sundance for four days if they REALLY had a problem with them. It make me go Hmmm.. lol

Also, if chiefs and tribal leaders have a huge problem wouldn't they file a lawsuit in federal law. They sure did with Ward Churchill. Hmmmm

These are questions I ask myself when I think of all this. Just some food for thought. 

Offline ska

« Reply #103 on: August 11, 2008, 09:48:03 pm »
Dear Creative Native,

I've read on this board a couple of times where Lakota persons have mentioned that Lakotas do not have "chiefs" but is seems you are not listening - or there is so much BS out there that, when some truth is spoken, it is not acknowledged.

In your previous post you said "You know, it seems kind of strange that over 20 chiefs from all over (and no not wasicu chiefs) would accept someone and dance along someone at a sundance for four days if they REALLY had a problem with them."

I don't know any traditional person on Rosebud who even acknowledges "20 chiefs" on the reservation.  This new age practice of making chiefs at Sun Dances is frowned upon and not acknowledged.  I've heard traditionals say "there are no (or few) true chiefs today . . . but the real ones are coming back and will reveal themselves when the time is right and it is meant to be".

A Sun Dance is not like a powwow, although people who go to Crow Dog's probably think it is.  At Crow Dog's, almost every group of people who camp there end up having a "chief" in their camp! I've been there, you can't swing a cat without hitting a "chief". Traditional Lakota Sun Dances don't have non-natives dancing, they don't use peyote, they don't have concessions stands and crafts tables, the dancers don't wear fancy outfits every day, the Sun Dance is not advertised, people don't make t-shirts advertising their ceremony -- and the true leaders conduct themselves as common and humble men, not as "chiefs".

You also seem to believe that "if chiefs and tribal leaders have a huge problem wouldn't they file a lawsuit in federal law."  Do you really think that there's so much time and money in Indian country that people are sitting around all day formulating lawsuits against all the people ripping off their cultures?  People want Indians to verify every incident of racism against Indian nations, instead of accepting that American society ITSELF is an instance of genocidal racism.  On the rez, people are trying to survive, trying to deal with epidemic problems of suicide, violence, and, of course, the genocidal practices of spiritual appropriation.

I know that, in the past, Arvol Looking Horse has publicly given some information about "buffalo teachings" ie.  a traditional Lakota cultural practice is to support and pray and guide a member of culture back to wholeness, not to confront, and attack, and maliciously rip apart.    I witnessed this at the wake of Archie Lame Deer, when Leonard Crow Dog used this occasion to try to promote his own agenda.  He kept using terms like  "by the powers invested in me by the Lakota Nation" and then he made a "chief" at this gathering as well.  I glanced around the room and most of the elders were looking away and had their mouths set in a straight line, a few even shook their heads and looked mad!  It kind of made me tremble to witness this strong disapproval - I'm used to seeing Lakota elders smiling and being so loving.  But maybe non-natives won't recognize these strong signs from the elders of a culture that is so sophisticated and uses small gestures to express so much.  For me, these were very strong signs of disapproval, but then, I respect elders and watch for cues from them about what they perceive to be right or wrong action. If you're looking for signs of disapproval, you won't find traditionals yelling and screaming, or taking these matters to the internet, or filing law suits.    If you're looking for someone who is going to stamp their feet, yell, write letters of protest on the internet, and publicly mock and humiliate someone, you aren't looking for a Lakota elder, you're looking for a White way of dealing with the problem, and White ways of showing approval and disapproval.   Don't ever think that people on the rez don't know what's going on - they know more than anyone.

At the wake of another elder several years ago, Arvol Looking Horse came to the funeral.  That month, in January 2001, someone on the rez died every day.  I remember at the wake, Arvol said something like "where are all the chiefs now, when the people are suffering?  Do they have time to come and sit with the people, help out a little, maybe bring a pot of soup?"  Many felt that the ones who call themselves chiefs are never around for the Lakota people, they're always chasing money, fame, and recognition from people OFF the rez.

When the goose-feather bonnet chiefs strut through town, driving their fancy trucks, adding another addition on to their homes, judging the ones who are suffering through their addictions, and inviting non-natives to come on the rez to Sun Dance, go on "medicine walks" or get "certified" as "firekeepers", who do you reallly think acknowledges them as "chiefs"?  A leader for the people would be there for them in their time of need, to support them in every way he knew how, and give of himself until there was nothing left to give. 

That, for me, is why it is dangerous to throw around this idea that 20 anonymous chiefs support McCullough.  And if they do exist, these "chiefs" are contributing to the destruction of their own people's spiritual ways.  They are taking their nation apart.  Don't try to justify McCullough's actions by the lack of vocal disapproval from Lakota traditionals.   Again, go to the communities, spend time there, learn the language, then you will start to understand what is what.

I express my apologies to the Lakota members of this board if I have said anything to offend you.  I speak with concern for Lakota children, like my son, who should be able to grow up in their way of life without confusion and outside manipulation.  And I speak with great respect for my Lakota relatives, friends and in-laws who will, no doubt, laugh at me for getting into arguments on the internet.

ska

Offline Creative Native

« Reply #104 on: August 12, 2008, 12:15:10 am »
Thank you for trying to be respectful. I'll try to break your post down and answer some of your concerns.

Dear Creative Native,

I've read on this board a couple of times where Lakota persons have mentioned that Lakotas do not have "chiefs" but is seems you are not listening - or there is so much BS out there that, when some truth is spoken, it is not acknowledged.

I'm sorry but Lakota's do have chiefs. Ask Oliver.

In your previous post you said "You know, it seems kind of strange that over 20 chiefs from all over (and no not wasicu chiefs) would accept someone and dance along someone at a sundance for four days if they REALLY had a problem with them."

I don't know any traditional person on Rosebud who even acknowledges "20 chiefs" on the reservation.  This new age practice of making chiefs at Sun Dances is frowned upon and not acknowledged.  I've heard traditionals say "there are no (or few) true chiefs today . . . but the real ones are coming back and will reveal themselves when the time is right and it is meant to be".

I'm not talking about 20 chiefs from Rosebud. I mentioned that the cheifs were from OTHER AREAS.   

A Sun Dance is not like a powwow, although people who go to Crow Dog's probably think it is.  At Crow Dog's, almost every group of people who camp there end up having a "chief" in their camp! I've been there, you can't swing a cat without hitting a "chief". Traditional Lakota Sun Dances don't have non-natives dancing, they don't use peyote, they don't have concessions stands and crafts tables, the dancers don't wear fancy outfits every day, the Sun Dance is not advertised, people don't make t-shirts advertising their ceremony -- and the true leaders conduct themselves as common and humble men, not as "chiefs".

You also seem to believe that "if chiefs and tribal leaders have a huge problem wouldn't they file a lawsuit in federal law."  Do you really think that there's so much time and money in Indian country that people are sitting around all day formulating lawsuits against all the people ripping off their cultures?  People want Indians to verify every incident of racism against Indian nations, instead of accepting that American society ITSELF is an instance of genocidal racism.  On the rez, people are trying to survive, trying to deal with epidemic problems of suicide, violence, and, of course, the genocidal practices of spiritual appropriation.

Oh comeon. Please don't talk down to me.  I am not a NON native as some would like to believe. I was born and raised on the rez and just left in 2006. 

People sure had time and money to go after the flake Ward Churchill didn't they.

I know that, in the past, Arvol Looking Horse has publicly given some information about "buffalo teachings" ie.  a traditional Lakota cultural practice is to support and pray and guide a member of culture back to wholeness, not to confront, and attack, and maliciously rip apart.    I witnessed this at the wake of Archie Lame Deer, when Leonard Crow Dog used this occasion to try to promote his own agenda.  He kept using terms like  "by the powers invested in me by the Lakota Nation" and then he made a "chief" at this gathering as well.  I glanced around the room and most of the elders were looking away and had their mouths set in a straight line, a few even shook their heads and looked mad!  It kind of made me tremble to witness this strong disapproval - I'm used to seeing Lakota elders smiling and being so loving.  But maybe non-natives won't recognize these strong signs from the elders of a culture that is so sophisticated and uses small gestures to express so much.  For me, these were very strong signs of disapproval, but then, I respect elders and watch for cues from them about what they perceive to be right or wrong action. If you're looking for signs of disapproval, you won't find traditionals yelling and screaming, or taking these matters to the internet, or filing law suits.    If you're looking for someone who is going to stamp their feet, yell, write letters of protest on the internet, and publicly mock and humiliate someone, you aren't looking for a Lakota elder, you're looking for a White way of dealing with the problem, and White ways of showing approval and disapproval.   Don't ever think that people on the rez don't know what's going on - they know more than anyone.

Ok.  Then what isn't a proclamation sent out about Leonard Crow Dog and disputeing anything he says or does??

Don't know what circles you are in but that sure isn't true in all circles.

At the wake of another elder several years ago, Arvol Looking Horse came to the funeral.  That month, in January 2001, someone on the rez died every day.  I remember at the wake, Arvol said something like "where are all the chiefs now, when the people are suffering?  Do they have time to come and sit with the people, help out a little, maybe bring a pot of soup?"  Many felt that the ones who call themselves chiefs are never around for the Lakota people, they're always chasing money, fame, and recognition from people OFF the rez.

When the goose-feather bonnet chiefs strut through town, driving their fancy trucks, adding another addition on to their homes, judging the ones who are suffering through their addictions, and inviting non-natives to come on the rez to Sun Dance, go on "medicine walks" or get "certified" as "firekeepers", who do you really think acknowledges them as "chiefs"?  A leader for the people would be there for them in their time of need, to support them in every way he knew how, and give of himself until there was nothing left to give.

I do agree this is true with some. I disagree it is all.

That, for me, is why it is dangerous to throw around this idea that 20 anonymous chiefs support McCullough.  And if they do exist, these "chiefs" are contributing to the destruction of their own people's spiritual ways.  They are taking their nation apart.  Don't try to justify McCullough's actions by the lack of vocal disapproval from Lakota traditionals.   Again, go to the communities, spend time there, learn the language, then you will start to understand what is what.

I never and I repeat NEVER said all 20 chiefs supported McCullough. What I said was why did not a one of the chiefs say something, ask a question anything?

Also what people need to get clear is that Steve and Evans are two separate things. Evans is just what you say here. A man that is for the people of the community here. He gives of himself until there is no more to give then he picks himself up and gives more. The reason I speak of him is because I know him and am familiar of how he carries himself. So please don't lump him in with Steve. Thank you.

I express my apologies to the Lakota members of this board if I have said anything to offend you.  I speak with concern for Lakota children, like my son, who should be able to grow up in their way of life without confusion and outside manipulation.  And I speak with great respect for my Lakota relatives, friends and in-laws who will, no doubt, laugh at me for getting into arguments on the internet.

ska

I too am concerned with the Lakota children. My wife's family is from Pine Ridge and so I am concerned about preserving those things for my son who is being taught both Lakota and Cree.

I think that most of us are in agreement on most of these points. It's just that I hate seeing people and issues get lumped together.

I too hope I have been respectful.