Author Topic: Metis Culture  (Read 31898 times)

Offline Ric_Richardson

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
Re: Metis Culture
« Reply #15 on: May 26, 2010, 03:31:11 pm »
Tansi;

Thank you for your input, Yiwah!  When I lived in Yukon, I was happily suprised to learn that, in the very remote Gwitchin community of Old Crow, their official song was "Let the Fiddles Play."  I was also fortunate to have met with some Kaska Dena people, who were quite Proud of their Metis Heritage.

Please feel free to continue to provide your input into this, or other threads!
Ric

Offline Ric_Richardson

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #16 on: June 15, 2010, 02:53:57 pm »
Tansi;

This year, the "Back to Batoche" gathering will be held from July 18-25, at the grounds at Batoche, Saskatchewan.  As this year marks 125 years since the Battle at Batoche, we are expecting many people to come from all over to meet relatives, and celebrate our vibrant Culture.

You don't have to be Metis to enjoy the fiddle and jig!  Everyone is welcome!

Hope to see you there!
Ric

Offline Ric_Richardson

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #17 on: June 17, 2010, 09:30:09 pm »
Tansi;

More can be learned about this year's "Back To Batoche" gathering, by checking out www.mn-s.ca/index.php?id=batoche .  Good fiddle tunes on the video!
Ric

apukjij

« Reply #18 on: June 19, 2010, 04:15:03 pm »
loved it! ty!

Offline Ric_Richardson

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #19 on: June 20, 2010, 03:58:04 am »
Tansi;

I thought that the video was put together well.  The tune is a well known and much danced to Red River Jig.
Ric
« Last Edit: June 20, 2010, 05:40:40 pm by Ric_Richardson »

Offline Ric_Richardson

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #20 on: July 13, 2010, 01:36:57 pm »
Tansi;

Only 5 days to go till "Back to Batoche" and I'm stuck in the bush for the next week, then I'll get there.

Offline Yiwah

« Reply #21 on: July 15, 2010, 08:28:08 pm »
Another major event for First Nations and Metis is coming up in Alberta at Man'tow Sakahikan, Lac Ste. Anne.  The annual pilgrimage is held July 17-22 this year and draws thousands of aboriginal people from all over Canada and the US.  This will be the first year I can't make it :(  I am in no way a Catholic, so I never take part in the various Christian religious events, but the pilgrimage has never stopped being a centre for traditional gatherings.