Lewis Mehl Madrona

<< < (3/6) > >>

MsWilma:
Hi from Australia.

Just been emailed an invite to this event:

Weekend Workshop with Lewis Mehl-Madrona

Self-healing, Spirit & Community

A weekend workshop into healing, narrative, story and mystery

Dr Lewis Mehl-Madrona is a native American healer,  doctor and psychologist who creates and shares sacred, magical and richly informative spaces offering unique fulfilling and lasting experiences,  impacting on both professional and personal worlds.

Join us for a journey of  transformation, healing and community with Lewis Mehl Medrona, author of 5 acclaimed books, his partner Barbara and Choctaw Elder Rocky. Past workshops have provided a fountain of inspiration, new tools and fresh understanding about ourselves, each other and community.

This will be held in Warburton, in the mountains of the Yarra Valley, Victoria. This area is 1 – 1.5hrs from Melbourne and is accessible by car, airport transfer and public transport.

Dates: 7.30pm on 24th February, 10am-5pm on 25th & 26th February 2012.

If paid before 10 February 2012:

Evening talk only  $10

Sat & Sun $135 (Frid talk is free)

Includes lunches both days

After 10 Feb 2012

(unless booked out):

Evening talk $10

Sat & Sun – $165 (Frid talk is free)

Includes lunches both days

Held at the Upper Yarra Arts Centre, Warburton Hwy, Warburton

About:

Dr. Lewis Mehl-Madrona is Education Director for the Coyote Institute, an organization devoted to the promotion & study of change & transformation and a family physician & psychiatrist who has studied with indigenous healers for most of his life.

He is the author of Coyote Medicine, Coyote Healing, Coyote Wisdom, Narrative Medicine & (soon to be released), Healing the Mind through the Power of Story: the promise of Narrative Psychiatry.

Lewis will share his wisdom as a pioneer of the blending of traditional Native Healing tradition with conventional allopathic medicine and will explore how Native Americans view health and disease; who is healer and how is healing supported.

Dr. Lewis Mehl-Madrona, MD, PhD, MPhil, is Director of the Psychopharmacology Program at Argosy University Hawai’i, where he is also Associate Professor of Psychology.  He is an adjunct professor of anthropology at Johnson State College in Vermont and is Education Director for the Coyote Institute for Studies of Change and Transformation, also in Vermont, USA.

Testimonials:

“Lewis-Mehl-Madrona, together with his assistants, Rocky and Barbara, offered a deeply transformative workshop. In fact, all the workshops I’ve participated in with Lewis spanning a few years, have been wonderful. They have life opened inner doors of insight, experiential change and have in my case led to important external opportunities that have enhanced my life. Thank you Lewis.”

-       Keith Sarah

Lewis embodies a deep understanding of the power of story with genuine compassion and humility. His workshops are enlightening and delightful. I highly recommend taking the opportunity to experience his unique approach to healing.

- Kirsty Chalmers

We warmly welcome Lewis back to Australia, where he will facilitate a range of programs for people wanting to experience invaluable insight into Native American tradition and healing practices.

For further information and bookings email parrien@hotmail.com or call             0407 650026     

Accommodation available for all budgets – just ask us.
http://www.openheartedtransformation.com.au/weekend-workshop-with-lewis-mehl-madrona/

Defend the Sacred:

--- Quote from: MsWilma on December 08, 2011, 03:32:03 am ---Choctaw Elder Rocky.

--- End quote ---

Of course the alleged NDN "Elder" has no last name....   ::)

Epiphany:
In his book Coyote Medicine: Lessons from Native American Healing - Lewis Mehl Madrona states that maybe he is drawn to "pursuing Native American culture and spirituality" because he is in a quest for his father. His maternal grandmother had told him that his real father was a "Lakota Sioux from the Pine Ridge Agency, but that she was sworn to secrecy and could say no more".

Lewis was born Lewis Eugene McKinley, father said to be Louis Frank McKinley, mother Emma Bradley. John O Mehl Jr petitioned in 1960 to adopt him and change his name to Lewis Eugene Mehl  (public record, legal notice Hamilton Daily News Journal, July 26, 1960). Lewis claims that McKinley was most likely not his birth father.

There is a Kentucky birth record, 1954, Lewis M Madrona, Emma Bradley his mother. My guess is that Lewis added the Madrona to his name as an adult and legally changed the birth record.

He is Lewis E Mehl in 1991 marriage record and 1992 Vermont residence. In 1996 he is Lewis Mehl Madrona in Hawaii.

He says his maternal grandmother Hazel was Cherokee, along with her second husband Archie. He says Hazel's ancestors were escapees from the Trail of Tears. He says Hazel and Archie had their own beliefs - Christian and "beliefs they developed for themselves". Lewis writes "I was not taught Native American spirituality per se.".

He says his maternal great grandmother was a healer and writes of seeing her doctor people.

He graduated from Stanford in 1973, newspaper clip uploaded here.

Also uploaded is the legal notice concerning petition for adoption.

Epiphany:
More gleanings from his book:

He says he doesn't know who his father is but was told that his father was Lakota. He says he's had visions of his father's Lakota ancestors.

So that is the basis of his Lakota heritage claim.

He claims Cherokee heritage through his maternal grandmother and great grandmother. His mother's full name is available, and he gives a first name for his maternal grandmother. If his grandmother is Hazel (Shearer) Bradley/Price, great grandmother Emma (Gadd) Shearer then all records look to be for white, Kentucky folks. (He does name Gadd and Shearer http://www.futurehealth.org/populum/page.php?p=1&f=More-Indian-Than-Thou-by-Lewis-Mehl-Madrona-100614-832.html )

As an adult medical student he wanted to find NDN mentors. He says he studied informally with two Cherokee medicine men in California. Grampa Richards (passed away Jan 1983) near Santa Rosa, Kosha near Ukiah. Also Turtle Woman "widely known across the Chippewa nation as a healer". The first full name he gives is that of Marilyn Youngbird ( http://dwij.org/pathfinders/marilyn_youngbird/Marilyn.htm ). He says Marilyn had learned sweat lodge ceremony from Wallace Black Elk.

Interesting quotes from his book:

--- Quote ---But because I am not a white man or Lakota or Cherokee, and because I am all three, my way is to use a little of everything I have come across.
--- End quote ---

--- Quote ---According to the Native American belief system, there are no accidents.
--- End quote ---

Epiphany:
Lewis says he learned a rattlesnake ceremony "from the last living shaman of the Mojave tribe, from Southern California.". Also that he was taught by a "Dineh elder named Hosteen Begay".

In the late 80s complaints came in about his clinic, he eventually closed that clinic down and declared bankruptcy.

--- Quote ---CDC HIV/AIDS/Viral Hepatitis/STD/TB Prevention News Update
Complaint Filed Against Use of Typhoid Vaccine for AIDS
Newquist, Jay
December 29, 1988
The California Board of Medical Quality Assurance has received a complaint from a person with AIDS who charged a San Francisco physician with unprofessional conduct. Craig Black says he made two visits in November 1988 to the offices of Dr. Lewis E. Mehl + Associates, physicians who administer typhoid vaccine as an AIDS treatment. Mehl's associate Dr. Learie Yuhl charged him $550 at the beginning of treatment, Black says, but did not perform a full physical examination, take a patient history, or do full laboratory bloodwork. Although literature on the typhoid treatment that the physicians gave him to read said a person who has been on AZT should stop taking it for a month before undergoing the so-called Catapano protocol, Black says Dr. Yuile administered a shot on his first visit, while he was taking the approved AIDS drug. Black says the doctors, whose office is in the back of a restaurant, "play on hopes and fears of people sick with AIDS in order to make a buck." Black said he was not criticizing the typhoid protocol, per se, but the methods the physicians used. Yuille no longer works for Mehl, who says he refunded part of Black's money. Michael Smith, a person with AIDS who works as a volunteer for Mehl, defended the doctor and his unconventional methods.
--- End quote ---

http://www.aegis.org/DisplayContent/print.aspx?SectionID=87322

Lewis describes it this way in his book:

--- Quote ---Russell replied that he was certain that I was only using the vaccine, and the evaluation fee, to rip off gay people, since I wasn't gay myself. I found Russell's large size, his dark black skin, and his Brooklyn accent intimidating as he began to talk.
--- End quote ---

He now is licensed to practice in Hawaii. http://pvl.ehawaii.gov/pvlsearch/app?_a=d&_f=n&lictp=MD&licno=9453&off=&nm=LEWIS%20E%20MEHL-MADRONA

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version