Author Topic: When in drought, rain dance  (Read 8066 times)

Offline earthw7

• Standing Rock Tourism
When in drought, rain dance
« on: February 03, 2014, 02:33:59 pm »
http://www.utsandiego.com/news/2014/jan/25/rain-dance-drought-oceanside-park-native-american/

When in drought, rain dance

By Maureen Magee

7:40 P.M. JAN. 25, 2014

OCEANSIDE - The scent of burning sage wafted toward the inflatable bounce house. The beat of drums and the distinctive cries of
 Apache song caught the attention of boys playing soccer.

Smack in the middle of Mance Buchanan Park in suburban Oceanside on Saturday, dozens of Native Americans gathered in a circle on the
 brown grass to do what their ancestors had done generations before them: pray, sing and dance for rain.

As California enters its third straight year of dangerously dry conditions amid what Gov. Jerry Brown has proclaimed a drought
 emergency, Gil "Feather" Fernandez led a traditional rain dance on yet another hot and sunny winter day. He was joined by Sam
 Bearpaw, Windwalker and dozens of other Native Americans from multiple tribes who work to keep the traditions and rituals of their
 culture alive in a modern world.

"This is our way of bringing awareness to the severe drought we are having here in California," Fernandez said. "We look at it from
 a spiritual angle. But we also want to remind people to respect the earth and take care of it."

The ritual drew attention from picnicking families and others at the park. The group couldn't help it, with many dressed in full
 regalia of head dresses, fringe, beads and leather. Some wore feathers to represent wind and turquoise to symbolize water.

Members of the Kalifornia Ramblers sang traditional Native American songs while others danced for rain inside a ring of people
 holding hands.

"Water is a gift of life. Good, clean water is more valuable than gold or oil," Fernandez said. "We pray for rain."

Tangi and Damon Livingston and their daughter, Jade, sat on the grass to watch the sacred ritual unfold.

"I've lived my whole life in Oceanside and never seen anything like this," Damon said. "It's pretty impressive to see this. It does
 make you think about things. Maybe there is something to the rain dance. I don't know. We try to teach our daughter to conserve and
 do what we can to help out."

Average rainfall at San Diego's Lindbergh Field for the month of January is 1.98 inches. So far this January? Zero.

As Brown seeks financial aid from the federal government during the state's third dry year, others like Fernandez are asking for
 help from a higher authority.

The California Catholic Conference of Bishops issued a call for "all people of faith to join in prayer for God's mercy and
 compassion" - specifically by sending relief in the way of rainfall.

No doubt, we can use all the help we can get when it comes to precipitation. But according to the National Weather Service, the
 chance that a rain dance would produce moisture on Saturday was "zero."

"It's good to call attention to the drought. It's good to have people dialed in," said Miguel Miller, a forecaster with the National
 Weather Service in San Diego. "Hopefully, it will bring some rain down the road. But it ain't going to rain down on them as they
 dance. Not going to happen."

The updated forecast from the National Weather Service calls for a slight chance of sprinkles in San Diego through Monday.

Coincidence? Maybe.

There will calling out all kinds of crazy people
In Spirit

Epiphany

Re: When in drought, rain dance
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2014, 03:15:16 pm »
Erick Gonzalez "Spirit Jaguar" of Earth Peoples United claims they can make weather changes too.

Spirit Jaguar
Yes, it is dry here too north of Mt Shasta- what is normally mud is dry earth. We are going to pray today and tomorrow for rain, and invite everyone to do the same. Today is 13 Kawok- the full empowerment of the Thunderbeings, the rain, thunder and lightning...

Erick already has his people working very hard, now they gotta create rain too.

Offline Defend the Sacred

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2014, 09:53:35 pm »
Lots of groups and individuals are praying for rain. No one I know has called the media about it, though, or turned it into a public performance.

Offline Defend the Sacred

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2014, 10:11:36 pm »
Well, well, well... clicked through on the pictures and...

https://www.facebook.com/273398443689/photos/a.404013193689.197316.273398443689/10152250091563690/?type=1&stream_ref=10

"Santa Fe NM, Windwalker calling in the sunrise at one of her Shamanic Healing of the Waters Workshops. (Photos by Karla R. LaRive)"

More: https://www.facebook.com/permalink.php?story_fbid=10152251956428690&id=273398443689&stream_ref=10

Bring on the spray tans and hair dye: https://www.facebook.com/pages/WIND-SPIRIT-DRUM/273398443689
« Last Edit: February 03, 2014, 10:20:28 pm by Kathryn »

Offline Diana

• I Love YaBB 2!
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2014, 02:39:08 am »
Hmmm....looks like we have a couple of threads for the same windwalker here http://www.newagefraud.org/smf/index.php?topic=2817.msg24121#msg24121 and here http://www.newagefraud.org/smf/index.php?topic=2817.msg24121#msg24121. She may need a second look. I can't find a name for her except windwalker, did I miss something??? 

And talk about a bad dye job! LOL, even her eyebrows are weird looking.  :o

Diana

Offline earthw7

• Standing Rock Tourism
« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2014, 03:31:29 pm »
what is she doing wear w war bonnet women are NOT suppose to wear those :o
« Last Edit: February 05, 2014, 02:51:05 pm by earthw7 »
In Spirit

Epiphany

« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2014, 06:14:45 pm »
Windwalker has this clip from the newspaper article up on her Facebook Wind Spirit Drum.

Offline Odelle

« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2014, 12:42:06 am »
That's some serious flawed journalism there. Wonder if the reporter actually tried to get a back story on these folks besides just taking their word for it that they're "native american" ?
:>

Offline milehighsalute

« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2014, 09:04:46 pm »
lol.....i rarely check this session.........im the reason that they now have to "approve" comments on youtube.... :D.i been making fun of her and her hubby for years

there are ALOT of indians in santa fe....trust me i know firsthand........why is she not a member of the indian community down there????? how come no real indians are invited to her stupid ceremonies???? they dont even know about them because people like this operate OUTSIDE of the ndn community..........and when they see them on the street they go flagellate themselves at the boots of every real indian they run across

twinkies  ;)