Author Topic: Shamanism Ireland / Martin Duffy  (Read 17437 times)

Offline davidjohndrew

Shamanism Ireland / Martin Duffy
« on: January 21, 2008, 04:05:11 am »
Yet another 'Neo-Celt' adopting a wide variety of vague techniques within a shamanic context and trying to sell them to unfortunate individuals. This man practices what he calls 'Celtic Sweatlodges' .

http://www.shamanismireland.com/

Please refer to the 'altar' wherein is a veritable cornucopia of tribal artifacts from around the world to rival the collection of any indiscriminate anthropologist.

A man who seems to make enough money to support himself in a very nice stately home and subsidise his expeditions to poor but exotic countries in SOuth America.

Offline Barnaby_McEwan

Re: Another irish Shameon: Martin Duffy
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2008, 03:36:24 pm »
Selling 'Celtic swealodges'. With a free burns kit, I hope. Moved to Frauds.

Offline Defend the Sacred

• Global Moderator
Re: Another irish Shameon: Martin Duffy
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2008, 09:14:13 pm »
This one is going for a more upscale market than the first one you posted. Whereas the other guy would put off educated people with his misspellings and *really* ludicrous claims, I think this sort is actually more dangerous as they have more money. They appeal to middle class people who may be just as ignorant of (or callously racist about) the actual cultures, yet more influential in the world. Sort of a hippie vs yuppie thing. 

Again, this looks to be the usual Harnerite crap done at a few Irish locations (when they get in their BMWs and leave the city or suburbs), with a bit of knotwork pasted onto a stolen framework. The real kicker is the connection to the ReBirthing/Breathwork people, who are usually quite cultish and capitalist,  very involved in the whole "prosperity consciousness" ripoffs, which often involve pyramid schemes and convincing people that selfishness is spiritual.

I look through this site and, aside from some pretty pictures of some Old Irish art, I see nothing Celtic about it, either. It's all about sitting in rooms in the city or suburbs, and taking trips to "exotic" locations, whether by airplane or in their minds.

Offline berry

Shamanism Ireland/Martin Duffy
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2012, 09:22:50 pm »
 http://www.shamanismireland.com/practitioners.htm

Do you consider the above genuine? Don't know whyall the hasle to register and new members can only post here?

Offline Smart Mule

• Administrator
Re: Shamanism Ireland/Martin Duffy
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2012, 09:42:19 pm »
Hi Berry,

In looking at the bios and workshops 'genuine' is not the word I would use.  It's a mishmash of traditions thrown together, I don't think it's even close to anything Gaelic.

Sky

ETA - we personally approve members to keep out the spam.  Members can post in other areas.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2012, 09:46:27 pm by sky »

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2012, 09:56:10 pm »
Reiki, Holotropic Breathwork, Firewalks and Harner Shameonism are not Gaelic.

The ceremonial people among the Irish, Scottish and Manx ancestors had a strong relationship with the Spirit World, and some of their songs, stories and practices have survived. However, it is not the same religion, lifeway or "path" as either the Evenk/Siberian people (who are the only ones "Shaman" really applies to if we're respecting traditional people over outsider anthropologists) or the offensive, appropriative approach cobbled together by Michael Harner.

This looks like yet another group of nuagers trying to use romantic fantasies about the Celts to tart up an eclectic mishmash while parting naive seekers from their money. IMHO, Finding some old people at a céilí and patiently listening to them will give one more of an understanding of the Gaelic otherworld than being misled by this pay-to-pray lot.

Actually, I think we already have a thread on this crew....

• Global Moderator
Re: Shamanism Ireland / Martin Duffy
« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2012, 10:05:03 pm »
Merged threads.

Offline berry

« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2012, 10:05:19 pm »
Hi Berry,

In looking at the bios and workshops 'genuine' is not the word I would use.  It's a mishmash of traditions thrown together, I don't think it's even close to anything Gaelic.

Sky

ETA - we personally approve members to keep out the spam.  Members can post in other areas.
I was unable to post in frauds area did not see new topic icon as far a s i remember. Thanks for the info

Offline berry

« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2012, 10:23:08 pm »

Offline debbieredbear

• Global Moderator
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #9 on: January 08, 2012, 10:24:11 pm »
You can post it in "Research Needed." We don't put many things in frauds, straight up.

Offline berry

« Reply #10 on: January 08, 2012, 10:25:37 pm »
You can post it in "Research Needed." We don't put many things in frauds, straight up.
ok sorry am new

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: January 08, 2012, 10:57:44 pm »
Thread on Dermot O'Hara, shamanschoolireland.com and some related Shameons: http://www.newagefraud.org/smf/index.php?topic=1477.0

Offline debbieredbear

• Global Moderator
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #12 on: January 08, 2012, 11:51:35 pm »
Np need to apologize, I figured you were still working out how this board operates.

• Global Moderator
« Reply #13 on: January 10, 2012, 06:33:35 pm »
They're on Facebook:    http://facebook.com/shamanismireland

Offline kmfrob

« Reply #14 on: July 27, 2012, 03:31:35 pm »
Appears he is also the director of the "charitable trust" which owns and organises the events at Dunderry.

Annoyingly he has actually been legally granted this status to act as a charity both in the UK and Ireland... I actually checked...

It actually makes me sick to think how much money this guy exploits out of vulnerable people... All this from someone who claims to promote freedom from the "materialistic nightmare"...